View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Jones Drew 
Heisman Winner

Post Jones Drew
Just read he's open to a trade...

If the Jags are seriously going to trade him, we should let the house go for him. I think he could be the missing peice to our team and make our run game instantly better. I know he has injury concerns himself but he's usually healthy enough to be one of the best backs in the league

August 21st, 2012, 7:18 pm
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Jones Drew
no way we could handle his contract demands with our cap situation

August 21st, 2012, 7:28 pm
Team MVP

allenslions wrote:
no way we could handle his contract demands with our cap situation

Agree. Would love MJD, but i say no way. If he were a CB or S id say maybe...and i mean MAYBE. Either way, like allenslions said, we cant afford it.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 21st, 2012, 8:35 pm
We can if they take Cliff Avril in trade...

August 21st, 2012, 10:43 pm
Varsity Captain

I was wondering how long it would take for a thread to be made about him.

MJD on the Lions? Then I'd be afraid, holey cow.

August 22nd, 2012, 12:00 am
Varsity Captain

MJD has already been fined $800K (30K/day) by the Jags. He's got 2 years left on his last contract and the new owner says he "Will" play them. Can't see them keeping him under those conditions and losing him for nada in 2014.

Call them Marty, see if they will take Avril. We'll probably have to send them picks and our entire roster of running backs...j/k

August 22nd, 2012, 12:15 am
RIP Killer

Not even remotely interested, even if we did have the cap space.

The guy is a great player, but he plays a position of diminishing importance in the NFL. His contract demands are very high, and for a team like the Jaguars he may be worth it. For this team, he's not.

August 22nd, 2012, 9:58 am
League MVP

i d rather have the army of passrushers, the place to get RBs is in the draft bc they are cheap and have short careers

August 22nd, 2012, 10:09 am
QB Coach

I had been thinking about this and as much as I like MJD, he is 27 and will be 28 shortly after the season. He's got about 1500 carries so roughly 250 a year. He probably has 2-3 good years left maybe but the price it'd take to trade for him and the contract he wants isn't worth it.

August 22nd, 2012, 10:18 am
Stats Boy

This wont happen with the Jags just signing to play in London for the next 4 years they need a name that fans can rally around. As much as MJD, Calvin,Stafford would be amazing the reality is the Lions are up against the cap as is and MJD will want a pay raise where ever he goes. This is a case of ownership going to the media to try to get the public on his side in this holdout.

August 22nd, 2012, 10:22 am
League MVP

is avril even eligibile to be traded at this point?

August 22nd, 2012, 11:51 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

The Legend wrote:

if he signed his tender then yes.

August 22nd, 2012, 12:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

regularjoe12 wrote:
The Legend wrote:

if he signed his tender then yes.

Why not shop Avril? Either get someone that can help the team this year(CB preferably) or draft pick/s for next year. I would like to think there has got to be a team that would want Avril at the price he's wanting. I am confident that between Willie Young, LoJack and shoot Everette Brown can hold down the DE spot.

NEVER GIVE UP!

August 22nd, 2012, 12:15 pm
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
Maurice Jones-Drew reportedly open to trade, but Detroit Lions aren't a great fit

Maurice Jones-Drew has been a workhorse for the Jacksonville Jaguars the past three seasons.
Maurice Jones-Drew wants a new contract, and reportedly is open to being traded.

The Detroit Lions need a feature running back with Jahvid Best out (concussions), Mikel Leshoure suspended for the first two games and Kevin Smith likely beginning the season as the team's starter.

So there's a possible fit between Jones-Drew and the Lions? Not so fast.

Jones-Drew's desires come down to carries and money, maybe not necessarily in that order, and the Lions likely don't have enough of either to satisfy the the 27-year-old back.

Jones-Drew has rushed for at least 1,300 yards the past three seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, getting least 299 carries each year and averaging around 4.5 yards per attempt.

As a team, the Lions were 31st in the NFL last season with 356 rushing attempts, ahead of only the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Even when Best was healthy in Detroit's first six games in 2011, he surpassed 16 carries just once, the season opener against the Bucs. The most carries Smith had in a game while filling in was 16.

Detroit led the NFL with 666 pass attempts in 2011, and that trend shouldn't change with quarterback Matthew Stafford and wide receiver Calvin Johnson in their primes.

AP PhotoMaurice Jones-Drew averaged 21 carries per game last season.
The NFL's top five teams in passing yardage all made the postseason in 2011. The Denver Broncos and Houston Texans made it among the top five rushing teams.

Could Jones-Drew handle about 16 carries per game, down from the career-high 21 he averaged last season?

And then there's the issue of money.

Jones-Drew has two years remaining on a five-year contract that is worth $31 million. It was front loaded, so he's only scheduled to make $4.45 million in 2012 and $4.95 million 2013.

At that price, the NFL's rushing leader is a bargain, as the league's ninth highest paid back. But he's interested in Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson money, and they are slated to make $8 million this season.

The Lions locked up Johnson, the NFL's best wide receiver, to a $132 million contract extension in the offseason. President Tom Lewand already has said Stafford is "on track" for a lifetime contract. And defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh will be up for an extension in a few years.

So where's the money for Jones-Drew?

NFL.com's Dan Hanzus wrote Jones-Drew might be a "tempting cure-all" to the Lions' backfield situation -- and that's true -- but it doesn't appear to make any dollars or sense.

August 22nd, 2012, 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

One of these days people will realize that 'run blocking' is as important as the runner. Maybe even more important.

Then we won't start a new thread for every free agent RB, or, RB's that might get traded.

August 22nd, 2012, 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next