View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 7:45 pm



Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Cornerback options 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2286
Post Re: Cornerback options
Everybody's calling that Philly game as a loss, but I'm not convinced they've solved their problems from last year.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 22nd, 2012, 10:33 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Cornerback options
m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
depends on whether or not the other 10 guys learn to tackle. so far that has been a big disapointment this preseason and it doesn't matter how well you cover if you can't tackle.


I agree. Projecting a possible record based on whether one position is improved slightly is just a wild guess.

Regardless of what happens with personnel, I predict a 9-7 season, give or take a game.


Dang. 7 losses? I think we lost 6 at most, and that's what I'm predicting, 10-6. Losses to San Francisco, Houston, Green Bay, Chicago, @ Philly, and 1 other game (either other GB game or Seattle).


You have to remember that last season we EASILY could have been a six or seven win team. We pulled four victories from the jaws of defeat by big comebacks against teams that weren't really that good (Dallas, Minnesota, Oakland, Carolina). Sorry, but that's something that can't be relied upon to happen season after season.

I immediately think we have three losses in our division alone (GB twice and Chicago). Last year Chicago handed the Lions their butts when they went to the Windy City. Take those three losses, and now look at having to beat San Fran at Candlestick, the Eagles in Philly, Houston and Atlanta. Those could all realistically be losses, and that's seven right there.

I don't think 9-7 is an unrealistic prediction. Not at all. This won't be a cakewalk, and an 11 win season would be something phenomenal.


All true, but the Atlanta and San Francisco losses were both losses, but mostly because we missed certain players. Against San Francisco, on that ridiculous 4th and 6 touchdown they got to win the game, it was 100% Bobby Carpenter's fault. He was completely out of his zone, and as if that wasn't bad enough, he didn't even make the tackle. Durant has MUCH better play recognition, and I'm sure he would've stopped that play from being a TD. That would've been a 19-15 Lions win if we just found a way to simply avoid a 6 yard play. The Atlanta game would've been much easier with Jahvid Best. Against Chicago in Windy City, Stafford was still wearing the glove, and it clearly had a big effect on his throwing, Calvin Johnson fumbled his only fumble of the season, Nate did too which is also very rare for him, and Jahvid Best missed the game. Cutler passed for 124 yards, and Forte ran for 64 on 17 carries, and had a 40 yard carry around garbage time, so if you take that away he was 16 carries for 24 yards. Our defense had a game plan good enough to win us the game, but receivers fumbling twice, your best RB not playing, a QB playing with a broken finger and throwing picks because of it, and allowing a kick return touchdown usually makes it a harder game to win. That was the sloppiest game of all last season.

Green Bay will be very tough, no doubt about that. About all the comebacks, the only one that we got TRULY lucky with was Dallas. The other 2 were because our defense stepped up and allowing very little in the 2nd halves (8 pts against Carolina, 3 pts against Minnesota), and the Oakland game was just amazing.

That said, I realistically see us going 9-7 at worst, 12-4 at best, with just the following being sure losses: @ Green Bay and @ San Francisco. Those are the only ones I think we'll definitely lose. Of course this team is still undisciplined and immature, the run game will probably struggle, and the safeties still can't tackle, so that will affect the season which is why I'm thinking 10-6.

_________________
Image


August 22nd, 2012, 11:48 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7368
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Cornerback options
m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
allenslions wrote:
first greenwood will not be exposed to the waiver wire.he will keep a roster spot until we can move him directly to ir.also what is everyone,s opinion on kyle wilson because the tweetybird around the office is that the boss has been taking some calls from the jets about goz.not saying a trade is gonna happen but it looks like the jets have an interest in our starter.


We have depth at OT, they have depth at CB - I'm all for it. I liked Kyle Wilson coming out of Boise State in 2010.

I'd like to see RR starting as a rookie since we took him in the 1st and I think having Houston, Wilson and Bentley gives us 3 corners to work with.

Let's trade these two former first round picks for one another!


I'd be OK with it, but only if we also got something else in return. Gos, though not my favorite player, is a proven multi-year starter. Kyle Wilson is not. I would not trade for Wilson unless the Jets kicked in a draft pick or another player. And I'd want that pick to be something like a 5th rounder or better.


Not only that, ( I can't remember who it was), But, another team just lost their Left Tackle for the year. ( Not saying Gos is a LT, but, they could move their RT to LT and play Gos at RT). So the asking price could escalate. And Gos is only good when his job is threatened.

We have 3 viable options at RT besides Gos. All 3, IMHO, are better than Gos.


August 22nd, 2012, 11:48 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3622
Location: WSU
Post Re: Cornerback options
Quote:
You have to remember that last season we EASILY could have been a six or seven win team. We pulled four victories from the jaws of defeat by big comebacks against teams that weren't really that good (Dallas, Minnesota, Oakland, Carolina). Sorry, but that's something that can't be relied upon to happen season after season.


Im not saying you are wrong but with that logic you could just as EASILY saw we could have been a 13-3 win team if you count games against SF, ATL and the last one at GB. Going 4-3 in the close games isnt such an outlandish outcome. The Lions were about what there record showed. I dont believe they were a 6-10 team disguised as a playoff team.

Quote:
I immediately think we have three losses in our division alone (GB twice and Chicago). Last year Chicago handed the Lions their butts when they went to the Windy City. Take those three losses, and now look at having to beat San Fran at Candlestick, the Eagles in Philly, Houston and Atlanta. Those could all realistically be losses, and that's seven right there


The schedule is tough no doubt but Im not so scared by Chicago to think that it would be impossible to sweep them. They still have the same OL problems, they are still hoping to squeeze one more season out of guys like urlacher/tillman/briggs. i understand people like the offense w the additions - marshall, bush and backup qbs. still if the lions d line is healthy like they were in the 1st matchup last season we should be competitive. i dont know how to explain the back to back fumbles by burleson/calvin followed by broken finger stafford pick fest but that type of performance just seems unlikely to repeat. also the lions were competive to some degree in both games vs the pack. wk 17 doesnt really count bc neither team was at full strenght but the way the Lions played GB defensively in the 1st half of the Thanksgiving day game was the blueprint used by the Giants to hand the Pack their walking papers in the playoffs. We could very easily do as you say - Im just pointing out that there are signs that the Lions may be close to taking the next step. Finally when I look at last season I see a team that started out the season with a very strong defense for 10-11 weeks. I would say of the games lost in that part of the season really had more to do with the offense's failure than the defense's. after that the defense seemed to dramatically fall off with injuries but the offense stepped it up. I think there will be more times this season that both offense and defense are clicking at the same time and if that happens we will be reminded of how good this team when it clicks on all cylinders like it did in the MNF game vs Chicago last season.


August 23rd, 2012, 1:06 am
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Cornerback options
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
You have to remember that last season we EASILY could have been a six or seven win team. We pulled four victories from the jaws of defeat by big comebacks against teams that weren't really that good (Dallas, Minnesota, Oakland, Carolina). Sorry, but that's something that can't be relied upon to happen season after season.


Im not saying you are wrong but with that logic you could just as EASILY saw we could have been a 13-3 win team if you count games against SF, ATL and the last one at GB. Going 4-3 in the close games isnt such an outlandish outcome. The Lions were about what there record showed. I dont believe they were a 6-10 team disguised as a playoff team.

Quote:
I immediately think we have three losses in our division alone (GB twice and Chicago). Last year Chicago handed the Lions their butts when they went to the Windy City. Take those three losses, and now look at having to beat San Fran at Candlestick, the Eagles in Philly, Houston and Atlanta. Those could all realistically be losses, and that's seven right there


The schedule is tough no doubt but Im not so scared by Chicago to think that it would be impossible to sweep them. They still have the same OL problems, they are still hoping to squeeze one more season out of guys like urlacher/tillman/briggs. i understand people like the offense w the additions - marshall, bush and backup qbs. still if the lions d line is healthy like they were in the 1st matchup last season we should be competitive. i dont know how to explain the back to back fumbles by burleson/calvin followed by broken finger stafford pick fest but that type of performance just seems unlikely to repeat. also the lions were competive to some degree in both games vs the pack. wk 17 doesnt really count bc neither team was at full strenght but the way the Lions played GB defensively in the 1st half of the Thanksgiving day game was the blueprint used by the Giants to hand the Pack their walking papers in the playoffs. We could very easily do as you say - Im just pointing out that there are signs that the Lions may be close to taking the next step. Finally when I look at last season I see a team that started out the season with a very strong defense for 10-11 weeks. I would say of the games lost in that part of the season really had more to do with the offense's failure than the defense's. after that the defense seemed to dramatically fall off with injuries but the offense stepped it up. I think there will be more times this season that both offense and defense are clicking at the same time and if that happens we will be reminded of how good this team when it clicks on all cylinders like it did in the MNF game vs Chicago last season.


Spot on. In the first game against Green Bay it was 0-0 late into the 2nd quarter before our secondary got hammered and we lost Delmas, Houston and Berry. That's when they started having tearing our defense apart. Also, Stafford still had the glove.

That 2nd meeting should've been ours if the refs at Lambeau weren't in love with the Packers. Every call was in their favor, not to mention we were starting Eric Wright and Alphonso Smith, both of which will not start this year, and had Chris Harris and Rasheid Davis stepping in to play safety. That's why depth is so important. I think we win at least 1 against Green Bay next year, probably the home game.

_________________
Image


August 23rd, 2012, 1:12 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3787
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Cornerback options
Quote:
That 2nd meeting should've been ours if the refs at Lambeau weren't in love with the Packers. Every call was in their favor, not to mention we were starting Eric Wright and Alphonso Smith, both of which will not start this year, and had Chris Harris and Rasheid Davis stepping in to play safety. That's why depth is so important. I think we win at least 1 against Green Bay next year, probably the home game.



I Hate blaiming losses on refs but taht first 1/2 of that game was some of the worse officiating i have ever seen....Including the jokers we have playing refferee right now. That game was a travesty.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 23rd, 2012, 8:53 am
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Cornerback options
regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:
That 2nd meeting should've been ours if the refs at Lambeau weren't in love with the Packers. Every call was in their favor, not to mention we were starting Eric Wright and Alphonso Smith, both of which will not start this year, and had Chris Harris and Rasheid Davis stepping in to play safety. That's why depth is so important. I think we win at least 1 against Green Bay next year, probably the home game.



I Hate blaiming losses on refs but taht first 1/2 of that game was some of the worse officiating i have ever seen....Including the jokers we have playing refferee right now. That game was a travesty.


I don't remember to well, but one of our running backs was clearly, and I mean CLEARLY, on the ground for at least 1.5 seconds before the ball was taken him by a defender, and it was CHALLENGED and still ruled a fumble. Then that Titus Young touchdown being called back was ridiculous. The ref automatically ruled it incomplete after he caught it, probably knowing Schwartz couldn't challenge. Trust me, you'll never hear me making excuses like this and blaming the refs, but this game was pathetic.

_________________
Image


August 23rd, 2012, 11:55 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3787
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Cornerback options
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:
That 2nd meeting should've been ours if the refs at Lambeau weren't in love with the Packers. Every call was in their favor, not to mention we were starting Eric Wright and Alphonso Smith, both of which will not start this year, and had Chris Harris and Rasheid Davis stepping in to play safety. That's why depth is so important. I think we win at least 1 against Green Bay next year, probably the home game.



I Hate blaiming losses on refs but taht first 1/2 of that game was some of the worse officiating i have ever seen....Including the jokers we have playing refferee right now. That game was a travesty.


I don't remember to well, but one of our running backs was clearly, and I mean CLEARLY, on the ground for at least 1.5 seconds before the ball was taken him by a defender, and it was CHALLENGED and still ruled a fumble. Then that Titus Young touchdown being called back was ridiculous. The ref automatically ruled it incomplete after he caught it, probably knowing Schwartz couldn't challenge. Trust me, you'll never hear me making excuses like this and blaming the refs, but this game was pathetic.


not to mentuion the fumble they DID overturn, the runner was every bit as blanatantly down as that one..that 1st 1/2 was disgusting.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 23rd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Cornerback options
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:
That 2nd meeting should've been ours if the refs at Lambeau weren't in love with the Packers. Every call was in their favor, not to mention we were starting Eric Wright and Alphonso Smith, both of which will not start this year, and had Chris Harris and Rasheid Davis stepping in to play safety. That's why depth is so important. I think we win at least 1 against Green Bay next year, probably the home game.



I Hate blaiming losses on refs but taht first 1/2 of that game was some of the worse officiating i have ever seen....Including the jokers we have playing refferee right now. That game was a travesty.


I don't remember to well, but one of our running backs was clearly, and I mean CLEARLY, on the ground for at least 1.5 seconds before the ball was taken him by a defender, and it was CHALLENGED and still ruled a fumble. Then that Titus Young touchdown being called back was ridiculous. The ref automatically ruled it incomplete after he caught it, probably knowing Schwartz couldn't challenge. Trust me, you'll never hear me making excuses like this and blaming the refs, but this game was pathetic.


not to mentuion the fumble they DID overturn, the runner was every bit as blanatantly down as that one..that 1st 1/2 was disgusting.


I think I remember that one. What made this game even worse was we would've played the Giants instead of the Saints.

_________________
Image


August 23rd, 2012, 1:05 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.