View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2014, 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Jones Drew 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Jones Drew
LionFan57 wrote:
One of these days people will realize that 'run blocking' is as important as the runner. Maybe even more important.

Then we won't start a new thread for every free agent RB, or, RB's that might get traded.

Exactly. Once we replace Dom, Peterman, and Cherilus with better run-blockers we can put Best/Leshoure/Smith out there and have a 1,000 yard rusher every year. After this season I think Reiff will replace Cherilus and Bill Nagy or a free agent will replace Peterman.

August 22nd, 2012, 4:58 pm
Heisman Winner

It's a win now league, I don't care if he was 40..If he was the best back in the NFL and he was available I'd pull out some stops to get him. That's the problem with bad teams, they get prospects on prospects and hope they pan out and some never do. Until you make the deals or sign the already good you'll be stuck at either an average team or just flat out bad.

August 22nd, 2012, 5:22 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Guys, all this talk about MJD to Detroit is going on, but has anyone considered Joe Haden? He just got kicked out of practice for being "too rough" and will likely start next season with a 4-game suspension. He's ascending into a top 5 cornerback. Thoughts?

August 22nd, 2012, 6:30 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
Guys, all this talk about MJD to Detroit is going on, but has anyone considered Joe Haden? He just got kicked out of practice for being "too rough" and will likely start next season with a 4-game suspension. He's ascending into a top 5 cornerback. Thoughts?

I highly doubt the Browns would want him off their team, but if they did, it would be interesting.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 22nd, 2012, 8:20 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

hamma77 wrote:
It's a win now league, I don't care if he was 40..If he was the best back in the NFL and he was available I'd pull out some stops to get him. That's the problem with bad teams, they get prospects on prospects and hope they pan out and some never do. Until you make the deals or sign the already good you'll be stuck at either an average team or just flat out bad.

How do you explain the Patriots? They've been a great team for over 10 years now. They never "bet the farm" and always plan for the future while still fielding a great team in the present.

MJD is too old and RBs don't matter as much as they used to. Build through the draft, conserve picks keep playing for the long-term.

August 22nd, 2012, 8:31 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

How do you explain the Patriots? They've been a great team for over 10 years now. They never "bet the farm" and always plan for the future while still fielding a great team in the present.

MJD is too old and RBs don't matter as much as they used to. Build through the draft, conserve picks keep playing for the long-term.

Good points Blueskies. Teams HAVE gone out and made deals with big name free agents, or traded for big name players, and it has bitten them in the @ss far more often than it's helped them.

Running backs just don't have the impact for teams in the league like they used to. If RBs were that important, than the Vikings and Jaguars would be GOOD teams, while the Patriots and Packers would flat out suck.

Doesn't work that way.

August 23rd, 2012, 9:22 am
Blueskies wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

What about the Pats trading for Corey Dillon and paying him? Wouldn't this be similar? Proven vet, nearing the end of his career, but still in the twilight of his prime, great rusher, potential big gains, good ypc, and they paid him. Are the Patriots really a good counter-argument here?

And, how'd that work out for them?
Dillon set the Patriots' all-time single-season rushing record in 2004, totaling 1,635 yards. He claimed the team's rushing crown on Dec. 26, 2004 when he eclipsed Curtis Martin's old franchise mark of 1,487 yards, set in 1995. Additionally, Dillon's nine 100-yard performances tied the franchise mark also set by Martin in 1995.
Dillon led the NFL in 2004 with an average of 109.0 yards per game in which he appeared. Dillon's per-game average was 2.9 yards higher than the Jets' Curtis Martin, who ranked second with 106.1 yards per game. Dillon played in 15 games and gained 1,635 yards, achieving a total yardage figure that trailed Martin's NFL-leading total (1,697 yards in 16 games) by just 62 yards.
In 2004, Dillon set career highs in rushing yards (1,635), 100-yard games (9) and rushing touchdowns (12), achieving the marks despite missing a game due to injury.
In 2004, Dillon recorded the first 1,600-yard season in the 45- year history of the Patriots franchise, totaling 1,635 yards. Prior to 2004, no Patriot had exceeded the 1,500-yard mark, and just two times in team history had a running back broke the 1,300-yard barrier.

Looks to me to be a no-brainer... MJD would make our offense two dimensional again, take pressure off of Stafford, and come relatively cheap.

The article brings up that he's going to need to get paid... Ok... We just offered Cliff 3 years $30 million with 20 guaranteed... We could up MJDs salary RIGHT NOW from $4.5 million per year to $8, save two million off of Cliff's cap, give MJD a new pro-rated SB, and extend him two years. He would bank and start reaping the benefits now, we would be done with him as he's coming out of his prime, and we would be a better team for it.

If the Jags are interested in Cliff, I'd do it in a minute.

August 24th, 2012, 2:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

What about the Pats trading for Corey Dillon and paying him? Wouldn't this be similar? Proven vet, nearing the end of his career, but still in the twilight of his prime, great rusher, potential big gains, good ypc, and they paid him. Are the Patriots really a good counter-argument here?

Dillon set the Patriots' all-time single-season rushing record in 2004, totaling 1,635 yards. He claimed the team's rushing crown on Dec. 26, 2004 when he eclipsed Curtis Martin's old franchise mark of 1,487 yards, set in 1995. Additionally, Dillon's nine 100-yard performances tied the franchise mark also set by Martin in 1995.
Dillon led the NFL in 2004 with an average of 109.0 yards per game in which he appeared. Dillon's per-game average was 2.9 yards higher than the Jets' Curtis Martin, who ranked second with 106.1 yards per game. Dillon played in 15 games and gained 1,635 yards, achieving a total yardage figure that trailed Martin's NFL-leading total (1,697 yards in 16 games) by just 62 yards.
In 2004, Dillon set career highs in rushing yards (1,635), 100-yard games (9) and rushing touchdowns (12), achieving the marks despite missing a game due to injury.
In 2004, Dillon recorded the first 1,600-yard season in the 45- year history of the Patriots franchise, totaling 1,635 yards. Prior to 2004, no Patriot had exceeded the 1,500-yard mark, and just two times in team history had a running back broke the 1,300-yard barrier.

Looks to me to be a no-brainer... MJD would make our offense two dimensional again, take pressure off of Stafford, and come relatively cheap.

The article brings up that he's going to need to get paid... Ok... We just offered Cliff 3 years $30 million with 20 guaranteed... We could up MJDs salary RIGHT NOW from $4.5 million per year to $8, save two million off of Cliff's cap, give MJD a new pro-rated SB, and extend him two years. He would bank and start reaping the benefits now, we would be done with him as he's coming out of his prime, and we would be a better team for it.

Laid out like that wjb... does make a trade like that tempting to make.

NEVER GIVE UP!

August 24th, 2012, 2:42 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

You forgot to mention they won the SB that year, and Dillon had 292 yards in 3 playoff games that postseason.

If MJD joined us and Cliff left, we wouldn't finish worse than 12-4.

August 24th, 2012, 4:17 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

A. Peterson signed a 7-yr $96M contract last year, $36M guaranteed. You have to assume that MJD will want that contract, maybe more. That ain't cheap. While MJD is not old (he'll be 27 at the end of the year), you have to wonder if the Lions would really want to invest that kind of money in the RB position. The model for success in the NFL right now has very little to do with having a star RB, so I'd rather not make that kind of deal.

All of this is probably moot because the Jags have all the leverage here. There's no reason for them to trade MJD so I suspect he'll be a Jaguar this year.

August 24th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Butkus Award Winner

mwill2 wrote:
A. Peterson signed a 7-yr $96M contract last year, $36M guaranteed. You have to assume that MJD will want that contract, maybe more. That ain't cheap. While MJD is not old (he'll be 27 at the end of the year), you have to wonder if the Lions would really want to invest that kind of money in the RB position. The model for success in the NFL right now has very little to do with having a star RB, so I'd rather not make that kind of deal.

All of this is probably moot because the Jags have all the leverage here. There's no reason for them to trade MJD so I suspect he'll be a Jaguar this year.

MJD is only getting $4.5 million per year if he doesn't get a new contract. The only way we get him is probably by trading Avril and a pick for him, which would clear up $10.6 million, and I'm sure MJD wouldn't want $10.6 million a year, something like $7.5-8.5 million a year, so we'd get an additional $1-2 million in cap space, arguably the best RB in the league, and the defensive line wouldn't lose much of a step with WY and Lo Jack rotation at LE.

Personally, I don't want to trade for MJD because it'll likely require giving them Avril, but I know that if it happened we'd be nearly unstoppable on offense and push for a SB win this year or next, since we'd have him for 2 years to finish out his contract. Just laying out a realistic scenario.

August 24th, 2012, 4:51 pm

MJD isn't getting traded. He's their ONLY star. He doesn't get in trouble, and he's under contract for two years. Every time there's someone of interest out there, a group of you start pitching Avril for "whoever" but the front office doesn't want to trade Cliff. Actually the only rumors I've seen with Detroit and MJD are saying Leshoure for MJD, not Avril.

August 24th, 2012, 5:06 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

njroar wrote:
MJD isn't getting traded. He's their ONLY star. He doesn't get in trouble, and he's under contract for two years. Every time there's someone of interest out there, a group of you start pitching Avril for "whoever" but the front office doesn't want to trade Cliff. Actually the only rumors I've seen with Detroit and MJD are saying Leshoure for MJD, not Avril.

we couldnt afford MJD with that trade. plain and simple

August 24th, 2012, 5:27 pm

regularjoe12 wrote:
njroar wrote:

we couldnt afford MJD with that trade. plain and simple

We can't afford him period. I was just saying that MJD has no leverage at all and Jacksonville has no need or desire to trade him. If he doesn't show, he doesn't get paid, and they went 5-11 with him, they can go 5-11 without him.

August 24th, 2012, 5:43 pm
Team MVP

I think a more realistic (maybe?) scenario would be for the Lions to add Kalil Bell who just got released. When he played last year he looked really good.

Maybe im crazy.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 24th, 2012, 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next