View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs Raiders (preseason game 3) 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs Raiders (preseason game 3)
thelomasbrowns wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Halftime. Impressions from first half. Leshoure looks like he could be the real deal. Shame we don't have an O-line to block for him. Kevin Smith is dead weight, cut him. Secondary is in shambles (injuries). D-line is not getting enough pressure.

Were we watching the same first half? Leshoure looked slow I thought, and it was his missed block that resulted in the Stafford injury.

Yup, he whiffed on that block badly. Just dove at the defender's feet instead of making a clean block, which directly led to Stafford's injury.

August 25th, 2012, 11:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I was very excited about drafting Leshoure but I'm starting to really hate him. I know it's only preseason but we've waited 16 months(and our first 2 games of the regular season) and put up with his BS and when he finally plays, he is an absolute disaster. He has done nothing at all to help the team. I hate to put alot into a preseason game but he no longer deserves the benefit of any doubt and with his only saving grace being the assumption that he is a good RB, I just can't stomach him playing like trash. And him choosing himself over our QB makes me want to trade him for an actual NFL football player.

August 26th, 2012, 12:08 am
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Shaun Hill looks awful.

Any game Stafford doesn't play in is likely an automatic loss.

Well, in fairness to Hill, he hasn't taken too many reps with the number ones in quite some time. Developing the timing with those players doesn't happen immediately. Remember, he didn't really play last season and I don't think he's gotten time with the first team offense this pre-season. I think you need to step away from the ledge.

hill does actually take a fair shair of reps with the no 1 s at practice or at least he did at the two practices i attended. i agree that he didnt look very good in this one especially early on. kind of looked like he wasnt into the game until ther 3rd quarter and i noticed the same thing vs baltimore. i wouldnt go so far as to say its an automatic loss without him but im not as comfortable with hill as i was coming into the preseason

August 26th, 2012, 7:52 am
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Terrible officiating again. No calls on the Oakland defense, despite some obvious holding and illegal contact. Yet Erik Coleman gets called in the end zone for interference when it was a clean play.

Really bad.....again.

yes they were terrible. nfl needs to end this dispute

August 26th, 2012, 7:53 am
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm not great at evaluating this kind of thing, but the safety play seems pretty solid. Levy, on the other hand, seems terrible. It seems like whenever the other team has a nice run or short pass, Levy is somewhere close to the action doing nothing. I think there's a reason the coaches stopped singing his praises sometime last year.

levy is a garbage player and has been while starting the last two seasons. he is slow to read and react to plays. he s at his best when its an obvious passing down and there is no play action as he ll get in good position in coverage. otherwise you ll see that durant and tulloch have "diagnosed" the play noticeably quicker than levy. he was supposed to be a fast player when he was drafted but he looks very slow when he s in pursuit. he is not a good open field tackler and not overly physical. t lewis and whitehead if they develop have a shot at his starting position in the near future

August 26th, 2012, 7:58 am
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Halftime. Impressions from first half. Leshoure looks like he could be the real deal. Shame we don't have an O-line to block for him. Kevin Smith is dead weight, cut him. Secondary is in shambles (injuries). D-line is not getting enough pressure.

Were we watching the same first half? Leshoure looked slow I thought, and it was his missed block that resulted in the Stafford injury.

have to agree with this. le shoure did look slow, he made a couple of moves but they didnt really work. the blocking wasnt all that great for him but he definitely missed the block that got stafford nailed and hurt. i wasnt impressed but in no way making a final conclusion

August 26th, 2012, 8:01 am
League MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
I was very excited about drafting Leshoure but I'm starting to really hate him. I know it's only preseason but we've waited 16 months(and our first 2 games of the regular season) and put up with his BS and when he finally plays, he is an absolute disaster. He has done nothing at all to help the team. I hate to put alot into a preseason game but he no longer deserves the benefit of any doubt and with his only saving grace being the assumption that he is a good RB, I just can't stomach him playing like trash. And him choosing himself over our QB makes me want to trade him for an actual NFL football player.

leshoure had an awful injury for an NFL back. it may be enough that he never gets back up to caliber for an NFL back. still he s early in the recovery process. the achilles is structurally sound at this point but generally the player/patient will recover strength, power and flexibility for 2 years after the surgery. leshoure isnt even close to that time frame yet. another essential component is the psychology of it all, leshoure has to learn to trust that his achilles wont rupture again. he s just been back in practice for a week so i doubt he has full confidence just yet. finally, missing a block is a usual part of the growing pains with young runners in the nfl - this is usually one of the nuances of the position that takes them a while to master. i agree with you though, based on what we have seen from leshoure so far it doesnt look he will help the team all that much this season.

August 26th, 2012, 8:23 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Can't believe so many ready to trash Leshoure after one game. Give the kid a chance. He's basically a rookie, and at worst, will still be an upgrade over K. Smith.

August 26th, 2012, 8:38 am
League MVP

i didnt watch this one with the usual amount of scrutiny but a few points:

- Patrick Edwards had an awful game. easily deserves to be cut after making a name for himself in practices. he dropped a punt and fair caught another at the 5. logans injury gave him an opportunity but he blew it. he s still decent as a receiver but i think nate hughes and lance long may have passed him

- hughes had a good game catching the ball and made some plays on kick coverage as well. i didnt really like him back there as a kick returner.

- lance long and kellen moore with some chemistry and put together a few good plays

- i dont think moore did enough to warrant a roster spot. they could probably easily get him to the PS although i would question that move as well. there should be players with more talent than moore available when teams make cuts

- the secondary is in shambles. a smith has really fallen down the depth chart as judged by when he got into this game and rightfully so. coaches can blab all they want about how good of an offseason smith had, he looked terrible in this one. likewise, jonte green isnt ready to be thrown into the action. could he be hidden on the practice squad? i cant imagine too many teams would want him on an active roster at this point. this team really only has 3 CBs worth a roster spot and thats a definite concern. after houston/lacy/bentley the rest are no better than street free agents. justin miller maybe gets a spot bc of return abilities. i fully expect them to scour the waiver wire or make a trade.

- the safeties seem to be holding up much better than the corners. we wont really know until teams start challenging them over the top with speed receivers or go after them with the TEs. it seems they will have 3 servicable safeties with Delmas/Coleman/Wendling. it d be nice for spievey to get his head out of his a.. since he has both youth and experience. sean jones hasnt been very good. silva maybe w the inside track on the 4th spot at this point though the new guy langford really stood out as a special teamer.

- OL as a group was bad, i didnt watch closely enough to discern who in particular was good or bad.

- deandre levy is a difficult player to watch. i hope they can replace him after this season.

- the dl has either regressed or are just being coached to be aggressive rather than basic fundamentals of DL play. i dont like the way they use these guys at all. suh as a rookie for example had a feel for the screen game or if he was getting trapped. as a group it looks to me like the lions defense has just accepted that they are willing to let a team run on them until they get inside the 20. at that point they are hoping the passrush can stop a drive or force a turnover.

- gunther was blitzing a lot in this game. maybe he figured out that if his coverage guys cant cover that he might as well send them. too bad they couldnt tackle terrelle pryor either.

- neither punter is very good but graham seems to be slightly more consistent

- coverage units were better this game

August 26th, 2012, 8:45 am
Varsity Captain

Must have missed it, but what happen to S Sean Jones?

August 26th, 2012, 8:52 am
League MVP

liontrax wrote:
Can't believe so many ready to trash Leshoure after one game. Give the kid a chance. He's basically a rookie, and at worst, will still be an upgrade over K. Smith.

i dont think i trashed him. still, i dont really feel bad for a guy whose method of recovering from a career threatening injury is smoking weed pretty much every time he leaves the house. who knows what else he s doing? he also seemed to be a "i dont need to be coached" type of guy at practice... im not judging his physical skills just yet bc i know they ll get better but he was the one guy everyone was hoping to see get off to a good start. most will remember that he blew a block that knocked the franchise out of the game and that justifies the disappointment with leshoure.

August 26th, 2012, 8:53 am
National Champion

The Legend wrote:
i didnt watch this one with the usual amount of scrutiny but a few points:

- Patrick Edwards had an awful game. easily deserves to be cut after making a name for himself in practices. he dropped a punt and fair caught another at the 5. logans injury gave him an opportunity but he blew it. he s still decent as a receiver but i think nate hughes and lance long may have passed him

- hughes had a good game catching the ball and made some plays on kick coverage as well. i didnt really like him back there as a kick returner.

- lance long and kellen moore with some chemistry and put together a few good plays

- i dont think moore did enough to warrant a roster spot. they could probably easily get him to the PS although i would question that move as well. there should be players with more talent than moore available when teams make cuts

- the secondary is in shambles. a smith has really fallen down the depth chart as judged by when he got into this game and rightfully so. coaches can blab all they want about how good of an offseason smith had, he looked terrible in this one. likewise, jonte green isnt ready to be thrown into the action. could he be hidden on the practice squad? i cant imagine too many teams would want him on an active roster at this point. this team really only has 3 CBs worth a roster spot and thats a definite concern. after houston/lacy/bentley the rest are no better than street free agents. justin miller maybe gets a spot bc of return abilities. i fully expect them to scour the waiver wire or make a trade.

- the safeties seem to be holding up much better than the corners. we wont really know until teams start challenging them over the top with speed receivers or go after them with the TEs. it seems they will have 3 servicable safeties with Delmas/Coleman/Wendling. it d be nice for spievey to get his head out of his a.. since he has both youth and experience. sean jones hasnt been very good. silva maybe w the inside track on the 4th spot at this point though the new guy langford really stood out as a special teamer.

- OL as a group was bad, i didnt watch closely enough to discern who in particular was good or bad.

- deandre levy is a difficult player to watch. i hope they can replace him after this season.

- the dl has either regressed or are just being coached to be aggressive rather than basic fundamentals of DL play. i dont like the way they use these guys at all. suh as a rookie for example had a feel for the screen game or if he was getting trapped. as a group it looks to me like the lions defense has just accepted that they are willing to let a team run on them until they get inside the 20. at that point they are hoping the passrush can stop a drive or force a turnover.

- gunther was blitzing a lot in this game. maybe he figured out that if his coverage guys cant cover that he might as well send them. too bad they couldnt tackle terrelle pryor either.

- neither punter is very good but graham seems to be slightly more consistent

- coverage units were better this game

Good assesment, but I have to disagree with the statement in bold.

Why would we cut Moore (thus only haveing 2 QBs) after Stafford gets hurt? Makes no sense.

August 26th, 2012, 9:12 am
League MVP

Quote:
Good assesment, but I have to disagree with the statement in bold.

Why would we cut Moore (thus only haveing 2 QBs) after Stafford gets hurt? Makes no sense.

id use hill and moore in the final preseason game, then cut moore and either put moore or someone better on the PS. i dont think moore is good enough that if both stafford and hill were hurt that you would start him in a game. they would be better off trying to find an unsigned veteran and throwing him in there. kinda like what the lions did w culpepper a few years ago when we were down to stanton and drew henson

August 26th, 2012, 9:30 am
Rookie Player of the Year

liontrax wrote:

In case it wasn't clear from my comments, I'm not closing the book on him. The guy deserves at least a season to prove himself. I was just responding to the one comment saying how good he looked last night.

August 26th, 2012, 10:40 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Agree that it it's too early to evaluate Leshoure. He didn't look great last night but it's been nearly two years since he last played a game. He needs some time to knock the rust off.

August 26th, 2012, 10:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next