View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Trade Thread 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Trade Thread
Quote:
Martin Mayhew 'Mayhews' The Dallas Cowboys Again
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/8/17 ... tin-mayhew
by Sean Yuille on Aug 17, 2012 3:55 PM EDT in Detroit Lions Analysis

When the Detroit Lions were rebuilding their roster in the first couple years of Martin Mayhew's tenure as general manager, one of the things he did best was add talent in many different ways. Draft picks and free agent signings are the easiest way to add talent, but Mayhew also spent a lot of time making trades and scouring the waiver wire to improve the roster.

Although the Lions are no longer in a position where they are desperately in need of talent, Mayhew hasn't changed his approach in terms of trying to make the team even better. This is why he put in a waiver claim for offensive guard Bill Nagy, who officially joined the Lions on Thursday. Nagy had been waived-injured by the Dallas Cowboys, which were hoping to put him on injured reserve after he had ankle surgery. He couldn't go directly to IR and had to clear waivers, which did not end up happening.

Many have questioned the decision to add a guy who is coming off of ankle surgery, but it's clear Mayhew made this move for the future. Nagy can play both offensive guard and center, and he has starting experience despite only being in his second year. Injuries are obviously an issue, but it's not like the Lions need him this season. Chances are he will be placed on injured reserve later this month (when clearing waivers is no longer necessary), and next year he could be in the mix to compete for a starting job or be a key backup at center and guard.

Much like the Jake Ballard situation earlier this year where the New England Patriots claimed him off waivers from the New York Giants, I have seen some complaints from Cowboys fans over the Lions' move to claim Nagy. The phrase "unwritten rule" has been thrown around because the Lions took a guy who is injured away from the team trying to get him to IR. All I have to say about these complaints is that if the Cowboys wanted to make sure they didn't lose Nagy on waivers, they should have just waited a couple weeks to put him on IR. There's a reason Mikel Leshoure took up a roster spot for a few weeks after his season-ending injury occurred last summer. The Lions had to wait to free up his roster spot unless they wanted to put him on waivers, and doing that simply would have been irresponsible.

It's entirely possible that Nagy won't end up contributing to the Lions in the future, but this was a very low risk move by the Lions. The payoff could be more than worth it if Nagy does become a starter or even just a key backup. The Cowboys may not be happy about losing him, but they should know that a guy like Mayhew is going to do everything in his power to improve his roster both for right now and the future. The Roy Williams trade should have taught them that, and based on what happened with Nagy, I think we can say that they have once again been "Mayhewed."

August 22nd, 2012, 10:26 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Mayhew Strikes Again: Bill Nagy
He's slowly assembling a team that's built to win championships. This is just another bright-minded step towards it.

August 22nd, 2012, 11:52 pm
RIP Killer

What "unwritten rule" are Cowboys fans talking about?

So, teams aren't supposed to claim guys on waivers that are injured?

The rules allow you to.

I have this to say to Cowboys fans..... :finger:

Pablo....pass that on for me, would ya?

August 23rd, 2012, 9:36 am
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:

The rules allow you to.

Agreed. It looks like the Cowboys just made a stupid move. If they wanted to keep him, then they should have kept him until the reglar season and THEN put him on IR like the other 31 teams already know how to do. My goodness how dis that francise ever win a Superbowl?

August 23rd, 2012, 9:43 am
RIP Killer

Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

The rules allow you to.

Agreed. It looks like the Cowboys just made a stupid move. If they wanted to keep him, then they should have kept him until the reglar season and THEN put him on IR like the other 31 teams already know how to do. My goodness how dis that francise ever win a Superbowl?

Through the stupidity of Minnesota trading for Herschel Walker. Without that, they don't get most of their players that took them there.

August 23rd, 2012, 10:16 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:

The rules allow you to.

I pass it on daily bro!

August 23rd, 2012, 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Post Trade Thread
I've seen several threads for new signings and possible trades so thought I'd make one for all of such activity. Lions involved only please. If there is already a thread for this, I apoligize, cut me off.

Lion's should have gotten into the Vontae Davis trade.

Maybe we could trade Peterman to the Steelers. Now that it's official that DeCastro is out for the year they will be looking for someone to come in for a year or two.

Ashton Youboty was cut yesterday. Worth looking into.

How about John McCargo....j/k......maybe [-o<

August 26th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: FAs and Possible Trades for Lions
Great idea. I suspect that virtually every thread will eventually devolve into "we should have signed ____ in free agency," or "I wanted _____ in the draft," not to mention "trade Avril for _____." But it's worth a try!

With that said, Mayhew's never been shy about making roster moves either via the waiver wire or trade. The most likely player acquisitions at this point will be players cut by other teams as rosters are pared down to 53. Probably looking at improving depth more than finding sure-fire starters. A trade for a starter could happen, of course, but a blockbuster deal seems unlikely.

August 26th, 2012, 5:59 pm
RIP Killer

We'd have to wait until the first round of cuts is complete, but I have a feeling the Lions will be very quiet. The only positions I could see them taking a hard look at improving are CB and RB. For whatever reason, the team seems to be content at safety, even though I think they could use another quality player there. They really should cut Spievey.

No RBs of note have been cut. Same with the CB position. Some teams have already started cutting down their rosters, and most of those cuts have been undrafted and low round rookies, or washed up players like T.O.

Need to wait until the next round of cuts to see if someone becomes available that can help the team.

August 27th, 2012, 9:18 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Much like Larry Foote a few years ago, a few decent players could shake loose for cap reasons. We'll see what develops.

August 27th, 2012, 9:25 am
Junior Varsity

I would bring in Ashton Youboty, wasn't he like a second rnd pick a couple years ago? worth a look anyways.

August 27th, 2012, 10:03 am
Modmin Dude

Boz wrote:
How do we know that Mayhew & Co weren't in on the talks?

August 27th, 2012, 10:25 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Boz wrote:
How do we know that Mayhew & Co weren't in on the talks?

First off, you have a point. We don't know.

Second, the Colts overpaid for Davis. A second round pick for this guy was too much to pay. He was playing for a new coaching staff, but still showed up to camp out of shape. He may have a bunch of talent, but he's still something of a problem child. We'll see if he flourishes at Indy. But if we know anything about Mayhew, it's that he won't get fleeced in a player deal.

August 27th, 2012, 10:59 am
Hall of Fame Player

I hope we try to bring Myron Rolle in.

August 27th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Looks like we traded for Kevin Barnes today, CB from the Redskins. Not sure what the compensation was. He has played outside CB, nickel, and free safety.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kevinbarnes/80628/profile

August 27th, 2012, 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next