View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Jones Drew 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Jones Drew
MJD isn't asking for a trade--he is asking for more money. He is refusing to play for $4.5M, so give up any thoughts of him playing in Detroit for $4.5M. If he plays for $4.5M this year, it will be in Jacksonville and nowhere else.

The only way any team gets him this year is by trading a player or picks to Jax AND offering MJD a monster deal like Peterson's. And that's assuming Jacksonville wants to trade him in the first place (and there is no reason for them to want to do that).

What's hilarious about this thread is that some here were practically crucifying Avril for failing to report to camp--and Avril wasn't even under contract. MJD is under contract, he is refusing to report and folks want to bring him here?

August 24th, 2012, 9:15 pm
League MVP

mwill2 wrote:
MJD isn't asking for a trade--he is asking for more money. He is refusing to play for $4.5M, so give up any thoughts of him playing in Detroit for $4.5M. If he plays for $4.5M this year, it will be in Jacksonville and nowhere else.

The only way any team gets him this year is by trading a player or picks to Jax AND offering MJD a monster deal like Peterson's. And that's assuming Jacksonville wants to trade him in the first place (and there is no reason for them to want to do that).

What's hilarious about this thread is that some here were practically crucifying Avril for failing to report to camp--and Avril wasn't even under contract. MJD is under contract, he is refusing to report and folks want to bring him here?

The bears just cut kahlil bell bc he wouldn't take a paycut. For 1 yr 1.26mill he could be claimed off waivers. He s better than k Williams and j bell, may even give k smith a run for his money

August 24th, 2012, 9:32 pm
MJD is seeking a trade because he knows the Jags are going nowhere fast and they probably can't afford him. The talk is MJD for a 2nd rounder. We'd have to clear up some cap space to sign him, and trading Leshoure would probably be budget neutral at best.

That said, we could probably do Corey Williams and a 2nd and make it work with the cap. If this thing is even close to doable with Cliff, or a 2nd + C Williams, Mayhew is a fool for not getting it done.

August 25th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
MJD is seeking a trade because he knows the Jags are going nowhere fast and they probably can't afford him. The talk is MJD for a 2nd rounder. We'd have to clear up some cap space to sign him, and trading Leshoure would probably be budget neutral at best.

That said, we could probably do Corey Williams and a 2nd and make it work with the cap. If this thing is even close to doable with Cliff, or a 2nd + C Williams, Mayhew is a fool for not getting it done.

SLH and Fairley would be much better suited to be replacements than Willie Young/LoJack. The only way I'd be happy about trading for MJD would be if it was CW leaving.

August 25th, 2012, 6:09 pm
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

SLH and Fairley would be much better suited to be replacements than Willie Young/LoJack. The only way I'd be happy about trading for MJD would be if it was CW leaving.

I agree with you, but I still think that MJD would do more for this team than Cliff would. I'd take him no matter what, but I think we'd be better off trading Williams than Cliff.

Trade Williams and a 2nd for MJD, Cliff for a CB/FS, and Gos for a CB/FS and we'd be in good shape!

August 25th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

There are a few issues with the Dillon example:

1) You're taking an exception and pretending its the rule. Great teams like the Patriots rarely trade for players, let alone old players. They may have traded for one but they've done way more trading-away (and they aren't afraid to let good players walk when they want too much money). Picks are more valuable than players -- the NFL is a young man's game. There are a few exceptions to this with specific positions, but RB certainly isn't one them.

2) Dillon was a much better player than MJD

3) The 02 Patriots were a much better team than the current Lion's squad

4) The trade was 10 years ago. The league has changed and has become much more passing orientated in that time.

5) Dillon was upset playing for a bad team and wanted to go to a winner. MJD just wants to get a big paycheck.

The Patriots gave up a 2nd round pick to "rent" Dillon for two seasons. He was a better player, playing a more important position (at that time), and they were a better team. Unless you could guarantee that MJD comes in here and plays at an all-pro level (you can't) he wouldn't be worth the cap space or the picks.

Now, if he happened to be a CB or a safety, I might be saying something different...

August 25th, 2012, 8:44 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Overall, MJD reminds me of Chris Johnson.

In 07, Johnson knew he was really the only weapon the Chiefs had. So, he forced the team to give him a huge contract, then he preceded to suck.

No thanks.

August 25th, 2012, 8:47 pm
League MVP

larry johnson?

August 26th, 2012, 8:07 am
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:

if its my defense i wouldnt give up corey williams. he s the only dt we have that uses the fundamentals of playing the positions, reads blocks and figures out where the play is going. the others just use aggressiveness and that works for a passrush but they arent a good line vs the run. i dont know how it would play out with money but i d offer them fairley and leshoure. this lions defense cant work without corey williams and cliff avril. id only be willing to trade them if it brought in a quality starter in the secondary. on the other hand, who knows maybe the defense is so bad that you just give up whatever and try to outscore guys by adding mjd for the extra dimension.

August 26th, 2012, 8:14 am
League MVP

im still hoping the lions make a play for kahlil bell. he was making too much to be a No 3 runner behing the bears investment of forte and bush but he d be at least a quality No 2 for the lions (im assuming no best and nothing from leshoure). even if he s behing k smith and leshoure, he still gets a lot better chance to contribute for the lions

August 26th, 2012, 8:17 am
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
im still hoping the lions make a play for kahlil bell. he was making too much to be a No 3 runner behing the bears investment of forte and bush but he d be at least a quality No 2 for the lions (im assuming no best and nothing from leshoure). even if he s behing k smith and leshoure, he still gets a lot better chance to contribute for the lions

Im 100% with you on that. Plus hes fast.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 26th, 2012, 9:08 am
Water Boy

Still have high hopes for leshure, but mjd for Avril and - 2nd? Sure.

August 27th, 2012, 10:34 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Blueskies wrote:
Dillon was a much better player than MJD

Don't diagree with any other part of your post... but can't agree with you on this and personally don't feel it is even close.

August 27th, 2012, 12:25 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

DJ-B wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Dillon was a much better player than MJD

Don't diagree with any other part of your post... but can't agree with you on this and personally don't feel it is even close.

I went to the hospital last winter and the only thing on was the Chargers-Jacksonville game. I don't know what was worse, being in the hospital or watching that game! The fact that MJD could do ANYTHING on that team, let alone be one of the top rushers in the league, is amazing.

August 27th, 2012, 12:28 pm
The Legend wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

if its my defense i wouldnt give up corey williams. he s the only dt we have that uses the fundamentals of playing the positions, reads blocks and figures out where the play is going. the others just use aggressiveness and that works for a passrush but they arent a good line vs the run. i dont know how it would play out with money but i d offer them fairley and leshoure. this lions defense cant work without corey williams and cliff avril. id only be willing to trade them if it brought in a quality starter in the secondary. on the other hand, who knows maybe the defense is so bad that you just give up whatever and try to outscore guys by adding mjd for the extra dimension.

I agree that Williams is probably our best DT against the run, and I'll add that SLH is probably our second best DT against the run. That said, IMO a huge problem with that is coaching and scheme. Suh never seems to get blasted for over-pursing the Qb. Schwartz seems to think that the DLs responsibility is the Qb, and the LBs responsibility is the RB.

I agree that getting rid of Fairley would be more beneficial than getting rid of Cory, but it doesn't work with the $$$. We'd have to get rid of Nate, Avril, or Williams to make it work.

That said, watching the offense last week against Oakland, we need help, and we need help bad... And, SF is a much, much better team than us, period.

August 27th, 2012, 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next