View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 1:35 am



Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Jones Drew 
Author Message
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3699
Location: WSU
Post Re: Jones Drew
i dont really like there scheme on defense. i agree with getting a passrush but i think they have the talent that they can have these guys playing with more fundamental technique so as not to leave there LBs completely out to dry. i honestly dont get it. if they only care about passrush and zone coverage they should trade suh, williams, hill, fairley to create a Saints like offense and fill the DL with faster pass rush types like avril/young/brown/r lewis/etc and tell them there only responsibility is getting to the QB. i know its just preseason but im not happy with how this team has played.


August 27th, 2012, 4:22 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Jones Drew
We've been forcing the run in the preseason because the RB's were clumped together and no one separated themselves. We've been able to pass at will on teams, but you don't give away your secrets in the preseason. Oakland is also a bad judge due the middle of the field that changes how you run on the changing surfaces. Grass to dirt is a drastic change for football cleats and if you watch closely you can see how players changed their steps when they changed surfaces.

Detroit will pass to setup the run, not the other way around. The preseason has just put an emphasis on the running game, and that's fine. Most teams run vanilla offenses during the preseason. Saying the offense needs help bad is being overboard with paranoia. We haven't and won't be a strong, pound the rock, running team, no matter how many times they run the ball in the preseason.


August 27th, 2012, 4:24 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Jones Drew
njroar wrote:
We've been forcing the run in the preseason because the RB's were clumped together and no one separated themselves. We've been able to pass at will on teams, but you don't give away your secrets in the preseason. Oakland is also a bad judge due the middle of the field that changes how you run on the changing surfaces. Grass to dirt is a drastic change for football cleats and if you watch closely you can see how players changed their steps when they changed surfaces.

Detroit will pass to setup the run, not the other way around. The preseason has just put an emphasis on the running game, and that's fine. Most teams run vanilla offenses during the preseason. Saying the offense needs help bad is being overboard with paranoia. We haven't and won't be a strong, pound the rock, running team, no matter how many times they run the ball in the preseason.



and off in the distance a lone tear drops down Marinelli's cheek :wink:

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


Last edited by regularjoe12 on August 27th, 2012, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.



August 27th, 2012, 4:31 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 655
Post Re: Jones Drew
The Legend wrote:
i dont really like there scheme on defense. i agree with getting a passrush but i think they have the talent that they can have these guys playing with more fundamental technique so as not to leave there LBs completely out to dry. i honestly dont get it. if they only care about passrush and zone coverage they should trade suh, williams, hill, fairley to create a Saints like offense and fill the DL with faster pass rush types like avril/young/brown/r lewis/etc and tell them there only responsibility is getting to the QB. i know its just preseason but im not happy with how this team has played.


Good points. If our D doesn't play up to it's potential this season, we'd be better off switching to a 3-4 with Levy and Tulloch in the middle and Durant/Avril as the outside linebackers with Travis Lewis and Ashley Palmer as the backups, Suh and Fairley at the ends with LoJack and WY backing up, and Corey Williams and SLH rotating at DT with Ronnell Lewis also backing up every position. That way we could let go of KVB, pick up a CB, and have a defense that most of our players could be well-suited for.

This is all just an idea. Mostly out of frustration that the Raiders game caused.

_________________
Image


August 27th, 2012, 4:31 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Jones Drew
Shotty wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i dont really like there scheme on defense. i agree with getting a passrush but i think they have the talent that they can have these guys playing with more fundamental technique so as not to leave there LBs completely out to dry. i honestly dont get it. if they only care about passrush and zone coverage they should trade suh, williams, hill, fairley to create a Saints like offense and fill the DL with faster pass rush types like avril/young/brown/r lewis/etc and tell them there only responsibility is getting to the QB. i know its just preseason but im not happy with how this team has played.


Good points. If our D doesn't play up to it's potential this season, we'd be better off switching to a 3-4 with Levy and Tulloch in the middle and Durant/Avril as the outside linebackers with Travis Lewis and Ashley Palmer as the backups, Suh and Fairley at the ends with LoJack and WY backing up, and Corey Williams and SLH rotating at DT with Ronnell Lewis also backing up every position. That way we could let go of KVB, pick up a CB, and have a defense that most of our players could be well-suited for.

This is all just an idea. Mostly out of frustration that the Raiders game caused.


Repeat after me... Vanilla. We blitzed heavily against the Raiders, but we haven't seen any of the line shifting that we've heard them talk about. Remember that the preseason is about basics. It's about putting players in certain situation and seeing how they do those tasks.

As for 3-4 sets, I think Lewis and Tulloch would end up being the MLB. Levy would be outside, but he'd find himself being the odd man out. Lewis has taken over that 2nd MLB spot, so Levy has this season to earn his spot or he's gone. Palmer is more valuable because of his special teams contributions. But they won't go with a 3-4 full time. The 4-3 runs deep in Gunther and Schwartz's blood.


August 27th, 2012, 4:42 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9495
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Jones Drew
Shotty wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i dont really like there scheme on defense. i agree with getting a passrush but i think they have the talent that they can have these guys playing with more fundamental technique so as not to leave there LBs completely out to dry. i honestly dont get it. if they only care about passrush and zone coverage they should trade suh, williams, hill, fairley to create a Saints like offense and fill the DL with faster pass rush types like avril/young/brown/r lewis/etc and tell them there only responsibility is getting to the QB. i know its just preseason but im not happy with how this team has played.


Good points. If our D doesn't play up to it's potential this season, we'd be better off switching to a 3-4 with Levy and Tulloch in the middle and Durant/Avril as the outside linebackers with Travis Lewis and Ashley Palmer as the backups, Suh and Fairley at the ends with LoJack and WY backing up, and Corey Williams and SLH rotating at DT with Ronnell Lewis also backing up every position. That way we could let go of KVB, pick up a CB, and have a defense that most of our players could be well-suited for.

This is all just an idea. Mostly out of frustration that the Raiders game caused.


We don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 scheme full time. Our players are 4-3 guys up front who either haven't played in a 3-4 in the pros or in a couple did and weren't good fit (remember CWill moving to DE in the Brown's 3-4 scheme). With nearly half of the NFL running a 3-4, I don't see any talent advantage to moving in that direction. Let's not forget Cunningham and Swartz are both 4-3 coaches as well.

The Lions finally have an identity on defense, and it is all about the DLine - lets not blow that up now after a few preseason games.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


August 27th, 2012, 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2311
Post Re: Jones Drew
Pablo wrote:
Shotty wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i dont really like there scheme on defense. i agree with getting a passrush but i think they have the talent that they can have these guys playing with more fundamental technique so as not to leave there LBs completely out to dry. i honestly dont get it. if they only care about passrush and zone coverage they should trade suh, williams, hill, fairley to create a Saints like offense and fill the DL with faster pass rush types like avril/young/brown/r lewis/etc and tell them there only responsibility is getting to the QB. i know its just preseason but im not happy with how this team has played.


Good points. If our D doesn't play up to it's potential this season, we'd be better off switching to a 3-4 with Levy and Tulloch in the middle and Durant/Avril as the outside linebackers with Travis Lewis and Ashley Palmer as the backups, Suh and Fairley at the ends with LoJack and WY backing up, and Corey Williams and SLH rotating at DT with Ronnell Lewis also backing up every position. That way we could let go of KVB, pick up a CB, and have a defense that most of our players could be well-suited for.

This is all just an idea. Mostly out of frustration that the Raiders game caused.


We don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 scheme full time. Our players are 4-3 guys up front who either haven't played in a 3-4 in the pros or in a couple did and weren't good fit (remember CWill moving to DE in the Brown's 3-4 scheme). With nearly half of the NFL running a 3-4, I don't see any talent advantage to moving in that direction. Let's not forget Cunningham and Swartz are both 4-3 coaches as well.

The Lions finally have an identity on defense, and it is all about the DLine - lets not blow that up now after a few preseason games.


Let's also remember the only TD the first defense has allowed was that highly questionable 4th down run.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 27th, 2012, 9:10 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3699
Location: WSU
Post Re: Jones Drew
last year the lions looked phenomenal in the preseason this year not so much. im not talking about record, im talking about how the 1st team D and O looked only. The D has stopped a bunch of garbage offenses in the red zone I guess we ll find out if its been luck or if they are good at clamping down when it matters.

i think the DL is a concern bc they were very strong in the beginning of last season but havent been nearly as effective down the stretch

njroar - im not concerned about the offense but its not multidimensional. i dont expect a pound the rock type offense but having 1 or 2 respectable runner keeps the defense off your QB and slows the LBs dropping back into coverage.


August 28th, 2012, 12:30 am
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Jones Drew
The Legend wrote:
last year the lions looked phenomenal in the preseason this year not so much. im not talking about record, im talking about how the 1st team D and O looked only. The D has stopped a bunch of garbage offenses in the red zone I guess we ll find out if its been luck or if they are good at clamping down when it matters.

i think the DL is a concern bc they were very strong in the beginning of last season but havent been nearly as effective down the stretch

njroar - im not concerned about the offense but its not multidimensional. i dont expect a pound the rock type offense but having 1 or 2 respectable runner keeps the defense off your QB and slows the LBs dropping back into coverage.


Last year in preseason, a lot of the key players on the 1st team defense were new. DL was the same, but Tully, Durant, Levy was playing a new position, and Eric Wright all had to learn the system, so they played a more intricate defense in the preseason games. We destroyed New England, but if you remember, New England didn't struggle getting to the post season. Everyone except Coleman, Wendling and Bentley are returning, so upfront is being played Vanilla. There hasn't been any line stunts, or crazy formations because they know it. They practice it during the week, but stick to basics in games.

Same with the offense. We've run out of a standard pro-set or standard shotgun set every down. 2 receivers, 2 TE's and single back. They've split out Sheff or Pett, but nothing even close to last year yet. Broyles creates separation like few receivers can, so if they pass on 3rd and short because it's more successful than running, eventually teams will expect the pass and then they run. Until they get better interior run blocking, we CAN'T rely on the run to setup the pass.


August 28th, 2012, 1:05 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Jones Drew
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Shotty wrote:
The Legend wrote:
i dont really like there scheme on defense. i agree with getting a passrush but i think they have the talent that they can have these guys playing with more fundamental technique so as not to leave there LBs completely out to dry. i honestly dont get it. if they only care about passrush and zone coverage they should trade suh, williams, hill, fairley to create a Saints like offense and fill the DL with faster pass rush types like avril/young/brown/r lewis/etc and tell them there only responsibility is getting to the QB. i know its just preseason but im not happy with how this team has played.


Good points. If our D doesn't play up to it's potential this season, we'd be better off switching to a 3-4 with Levy and Tulloch in the middle and Durant/Avril as the outside linebackers with Travis Lewis and Ashley Palmer as the backups, Suh and Fairley at the ends with LoJack and WY backing up, and Corey Williams and SLH rotating at DT with Ronnell Lewis also backing up every position. That way we could let go of KVB, pick up a CB, and have a defense that most of our players could be well-suited for.

This is all just an idea. Mostly out of frustration that the Raiders game caused.


We don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 scheme full time. Our players are 4-3 guys up front who either haven't played in a 3-4 in the pros or in a couple did and weren't good fit (remember CWill moving to DE in the Brown's 3-4 scheme). With nearly half of the NFL running a 3-4, I don't see any talent advantage to moving in that direction. Let's not forget Cunningham and Swartz are both 4-3 coaches as well.

The Lions finally have an identity on defense, and it is all about the DLine - lets not blow that up now after a few preseason games.


Let's also remember the only TD the first defense has allowed was that highly questionable 4th down run.


Which was a gift because the call on Erik Coleman to give them the first down with the ball on the 1 yard line was complete and utter BS.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 28th, 2012, 9:39 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.