View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs Raiders (preseason game 3) 
National Champion

Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs Raiders (preseason game 3)
The Legend wrote:
reiff is somewhat unreliable as a pass protector at this point, i think hilliard would get the nod over reiff if there was an immediate opening

So who's the odd man out? Fox? I thought he was doing well. We won't keep 5 tackles, right?

August 27th, 2012, 4:04 pm
RIP Killer

Hystrix wrote:
The Legend wrote:
reiff is somewhat unreliable as a pass protector at this point, i think hilliard would get the nod over reiff if there was an immediate opening

So who's the odd man out? Fox? I thought he was doing well. We won't keep 5 tackles, right?

I think we are keeping 5 tackles this year and no backup guards. All the tackles will be cross-training to play guard.

August 27th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I think we are keeping 5 tackles this year and no backup guards. All the tackles will be cross-training to play guard.

Chances are we keep 9-10 OL on the roster. It will depend largely on how many LBs and DBs the coaches want.

Typically we keep 3 QBs, but we may just keep two. Without a FB, we'll keep four RBs. 3 TEs, 6 WRs.

So, if we keep 2 QB, 4 RB, 3 TE and 6 WR that would give us room for 10 OL.

On defense, figure 9 DL, 7 LB, 5 CB and 4 S. Add in our three ST guys (kicker, punter, snapper) and we have our 53 man roster.

However, if the coaches want to keep a fifth safety because of injury, we may just keep 9 OL. That would mean 5 OT, 2 OG and 2 OC. Dylan Gandy would get the nod, as he can play OC or OG. Of course, Austin has been talked up by the coaches, and can play both spots as well. That will be interesting to see who is kept.

August 27th, 2012, 7:13 pm
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Chances are we keep 9-10 OL on the roster. It will depend largely on how many LBs and DBs the coaches want.

Typically we keep 3 QBs, but we may just keep two. Without a FB, we'll keep four RBs. 3 TEs, 6 WRs.

So, if we keep 2 QB, 4 RB, 3 TE and 6 WR that would give us room for 10 OL.

On defense, figure 9 DL, 7 LB, 5 CB and 4 S. Add in our three ST guys (kicker, punter, snapper) and we have our 53 man roster.

However, if the coaches want to keep a fifth safety because of injury, we may just keep 9 OL. That would mean 5 OT, 2 OG and 2 OC. Dylan Gandy would get the nod, as he can play OC or OG. Of course, Austin has been talked up by the coaches, and can play both spots as well. That will be interesting to see who is kept.

I hate the thought of only having 2 QBs. Unless we can keep Moore on the practice squad. Couldn't we have 5 OT, 3 OG, and 1 C? Dylan Gandy can be a backup center... I remember a couple years in there where we only had 1 true center on the roster.

August 28th, 2012, 8:57 am
RIP Killer

Hystrix wrote:
I hate the thought of only having 2 QBs. Unless we can keep Moore on the practice squad. Couldn't we have 5 OT, 3 OG, and 1 C? Dylan Gandy can be a backup center... I remember a couple years in there where we only had 1 true center on the roster.

Well, last year we carried 3 QBs all year, and wasted basically two roster spots doing it. Kellen Moore will make the PS if the Lions waive him. If not, just sign some other developmental QB to be on the PS.

As for the linemen, all our backup guards can play center. Rodney Austin, Dan Gerberry and Dylan Gandy can all play center. So, if the Lions keep just nine O linemen, then they'll likely keep five OTs and four interior OL. Another thing to consider will be just how many WR we keep on the roster. You know we'll have five locked in (CJ, Nate, Titus, Broyles, Osgood). Will we keep one more? Will Patrick Edwards stay as the return guy? Or will Stefan Logan be kept? Justin Miller looked good returning kicks agianst the Raiders, so if we keep him as the fifth corner we could limit ourselves to just keeping five WRs, which is something the Lions have done in the past.

August 28th, 2012, 9:45 am
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Well, last year we carried 3 QBs all year, and wasted basically two roster spots doing it. Kellen Moore will make the PS if the Lions waive him. If not, just sign some other developmental QB to be on the PS.

As for the linemen, all our backup guards can play center. Rodney Austin, Dan Gerberry and Dylan Gandy can all play center. So, if the Lions keep just nine O linemen, then they'll likely keep five OTs and four interior OL. Another thing to consider will be just how many WR we keep on the roster. You know we'll have five locked in (CJ, Nate, Titus, Broyles, Osgood). Will we keep one more? Will Patrick Edwards stay as the return guy? Or will Stefan Logan be kept? Justin Miller looked good returning kicks agianst the Raiders, so if we keep him as the fifth corner we could limit ourselves to just keeping five WRs, which is something the Lions have done in the past.

I thought Logan was a Running Back this year. Is he counting against our WR total?

August 28th, 2012, 9:47 am
RIP Killer

Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

I thought Logan was a Running Back this year. Is he counting against our WR total?

He was listed as a RB, but who knows if they'll keep him? With his injury and the emergence of Justin Miller, the Lions may part ways with him. With LeShoure suspended and just Smith, Williams and Bell left at RB, Logan could be kept and listed as the fourth RB for at least the first two games. Thereafter the Lions could decide to either release him or keep him and release someone else.

That's why I say it will be interesting to see how many WRs and OL the team keeps.

August 28th, 2012, 10:08 am
RIP Killer

Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I hate the thought of only having 2 QBs.

I hate the thought of carrying 3 QBs. Our goal is the playoffs/SB - after your 1st QB goes down you hope the backup can keep the ship afloat until the starter returns. If you are down to your 3rd QB your season is over.

If you are a playoff contender, what is the point of an undrafted rookie QB coming into the game? If Stafford goes down, you grab a vet looking for a job and hope for the best.

Unless Moore has some serious upside that I'm not seeing I'd rather use the roster spot in a place that the Lions can actually get some use out of.

August 28th, 2012, 10:45 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

Pablo wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I hate the thought of carrying 3 QBs. Our goal is the playoffs/SB - after your 1st QB goes down you hope the backup can keep the ship afloat until the starter returns. If you are down to your 3rd QB your season is over.

If you are a playoff contender, what is the point of an undrafted rookie QB coming into the game? If Stafford goes down, you grab a vet looking for a job and hope for the best.

Unless Moore has some serious upside that I'm not seeing I'd rather use the roster spot in a place that the Lions can actually get some use out of.

It's not like I'm saying lets have 4 QBs. Having 3 QBs is pretty normal for an NFL team. Maybe Moore isn't worth keeping. It's kind of early to tell. However, I don't know that having an emergency backup is the worst thing to have. Plus, while we might ot groom him to be our starter over Stafford, Hill won't be around forever. So grooming our backup QB isn't a bad thing

August 28th, 2012, 12:10 pm
RIP Killer

Hystrix wrote:
Pablo wrote:
It's not like I'm saying lets have 4 QBs. Having 3 QBs is pretty normal for an NFL team. Maybe Moore isn't worth keeping. It's kind of early to tell. However, I don't know that having an emergency backup is the worst thing to have. Plus, while we might ot groom him to be our starter over Stafford, Hill won't be around forever. So grooming our backup QB isn't a bad thing

Carrying three QBs on the roster is something many teams are getting away from. The Lions wouldn't be the first team to go into the season with only two QBs on the roster It's a luxury. As Pablo said, we could really use that roster spot someplace else to add depth to a spot weakened by injury right now (RB or CB), or to have yet another special teamer who would make us better in that regard. Since our ST has pretty much sucked, I'd prefer to go that route.

August 28th, 2012, 12:40 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Hystrix wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

It was normal when the 3rd QB was an emergency roster slot on game day. You had 45 active slots + emergency QB. Last year the rule changed to 46 active slots, regardless of position, so teams started going to 2 QB's. It made sense in the past, but now with 46 active slots, you want someone that can play special teams or special packages to fill that position. And Moore isn't going to be groomed to do anything.

August 28th, 2012, 12:53 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

On topic:

Quote:
Lions RapidReports
‏@CBSSportsNFLDET
Schwartz: no set numbers at positions. Talent before numbers.Not afraid to go light at a position to keep talent

August 28th, 2012, 3:13 pm
RIP Killer

PS for Moore. He hasn't shown enough to stick on anywhere.

August 28th, 2012, 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5