View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Biggest Need next year? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Biggest Need next year?
Not hearing a DBs name during a game isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing. It doesn't mean he disappeared, it means he had coverage so good they didn't even throw the ball his way. I'll take that.

August 25th, 2012, 8:27 pm
Team MVP

I know its really hard to predict anything right now especially since the season hasnt even started. BUT. Is it me or can anyone see them spending another high pick on another RB?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 30th, 2012, 5:24 pm
kdsberman wrote:
I know its really hard to predict anything right now especially since the season hasnt even started. BUT. Is it me or can anyone see them spending another high pick on another RB?

They'll still use the BPA regardless, but I'm betting the BPA is looking a lot more like an RB in the 2nd or third rounds.

August 30th, 2012, 5:51 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

They'll still use the BPA regardless, but I'm betting the BPA is looking a lot more like an RB in the 2nd or third rounds.

I really don't think we need to just yet. I think the team has to cut the umbilical cord with Best once and for all. All he has going for him is his speed. He does well in open field, but has never been a between the tackles runner. He simply can't be that in the NFL.
Until we know what we have with LeShoure, I think the combination of Smith, Williams and Bell give us pretty decent depth. The Lions don't need to have a premier running back. LeShoure, Williams and Bell have shown that they can get positive yards and fall forward. It's the offensive line that is not getting any push, and not opening holes. It's all I've been watching on the offense in this game against Buffalo. It's ridiculous. In the meantime, CJ Spiller is popping through holes so big that he could have a fat woman on each arm and still have room to spare. Rather than using a second rounder on a back, I'd prefer they get a top quality guard or center in this next draft. That's something they should have done in the past two drafts. The Lions have to start addressing the interior of this line, or they better find the second coming of Barry Sanders, if they want to have a running game.

August 30th, 2012, 8:44 pm
RIP Killer

So, Great Blue North draft site put out an early list of top college prospects at each position. I rank our needs as this:

1. Safety
2. Interior OL
3. Running back
4. Cornerback
5. Linebacker

Here are the top players at those positions, and a relative grade of what round they could be taken in:

Safety
1. Eric Reid - LSU - 6'2", 210 lbs. Mid to late round 1
2. T.J. McDonald - USC - 6'2", 205 lbs. Mid to late round 1
3. Robert Lester - LSU - 6'2", 210 lbs. Late round 1 to early round 2
4. Kenny Vaccaro - Texas - 6'1", 215 lbs. Early to mid round 2
5. Baccari Rambo - Georgia - 6'0", 220 lbs. Early to mid round 2

I like the idea of getting a safety out of round one if the opportunity presents itself. Spievey should be gone already, and Delmas is proving to be unreliable. Time to address this position.

Interior OL
1. Barrett Jones - Alabama - 6'5", 315 lbs. Early to mid round 1
2. Jonathan Cooper - UNC - 6'3", 310 lbs. Late round 1
3. Travis Frederick - Wisconsin - 6"4", 330 lbs. Late round 1 to early round 2
4. Cyril Richardson - Baylor - 6'4", 335 lbs. Early to mid round 2
5. Khaled Holmes - USC - 6'3", 300 lbs. Mid to late round 2
6. Chance Warmack - Alabama - 6'3", 320 lbs. Mid to late round 2

Khaled Holmes is the only true center, but Jones and Frederick can play that spot as well. Jones is head and shoulders the best interior OL in the country, and could even be taken ahead of some of the best OTs, since he played LT for the Crimson Tide last year. The Lions have to address the OC and RG positions in the draft if they can't get an answer in free agency.

Running Back
1. Marcus Lattimore - South Carolina - 5'11", 230 lbs. Mid to late round 1
2. Kniles Davis - Arkansas - 6'0", 230 lbs. Late round 1 to early round 2
3. Le'Veon Bell - MSU - 6'2", 244 lbs. Early to mid round 2
4. Eddie Lacy - Alabama - 5'10", 220 lbs. Mid to late round 2
5. Silas Redd - USC - 5'10", 200 lbs. Late round 2 to early round 3

Both of the top prospects are coming off injuries in 2011, and need to prove their health and durability to meet draft expectations. Lattimore showed some promising ability in his opening game, while Kniles Davis was nothing special against an overmatched Jacksonville State in their opening game. Le'Veon Bell is a junior, but could declare and go early than stated if he continues running strong. Talent at RB is not very deep in 2013.

Cornerback
1. David Amerson - NC State - 6'2", 195 lbs. Early to mid round 1
2. Johnathan Banks - Mississippi State - 6'2", 185 lbs. Mid to late round 1
3. Xavier Rhodes - Florida State - 6'2", 210 lbs. Late round 1 to mid round 2
4. Johnny Adams - MSU - 5'10", 175 lbs. Mid to late round 2
5. Dee Milliner - Alabama - 6'0", 200 lbs. Mid to late round 2

Amerson hurt his draft stock immensely with a poor showing in the Tar Heels opening game. However, if he can play solid the rest of the way he can get himself back to early first round consideration. Johnathan Banks is projected to be a first round pick, but after that the waters get murky. Rhodes is inconsistent and raw, but has great measureables. Adams lacks ideal size, but is very fast and fluid. The wild card is Tyrann Mathieu, who got kicked off of LSU and is not playing after seeking treatment for addiction. However, his short stature isn't ideal for a starting position in the NFL, and as such he may be a day three pick.

Linebacker
1. Manti Te'O - Notre Dame - 6'2", 255 lbs. Early to mid round 1
2. Shane Skov - Stanford - 6'2", 250 lbs. Mid to late round 1
3. Sean Porter - Texas A&M - 6'2", 230 lbs. Late round 1 to mid round 2
4. Gerald Hodges - Penn State - 6'1", 235 lbs. Mid to late round 2
5. C.J. Mosely - Alabama - 6'2", 235 lbs. Mid to late round 2

The middle linebacker class is better at the top end than the outside linebacker class. This doesn't help the Lions, as Tulloch is locked into a five year deal. It remains to be seen if Tahir Whitehead, Travis Lewis and Doug Hogue are capable of taking that next step, since both DeAndre Levy and Justin Durant are in the final year of their deals. Sean Porter is an OLB who is athletic and quick, but will need to add bulk to withstand NFL punishment. C.J. Mosely can play either inside or outside in the NFL, and that could propel his stock upwards if he has a strong season.

September 6th, 2012, 12:35 pm
Team MVP

M2, I agree with you about your list of needs, except I would flip CB and RB around. Just my opinion. But the bottom line is safety and interior OL. Its real simple, they need to be addressed. Both safety spots. Both C and RG. I think if either C or RG arent upgraded, then whoever we get at RB will be pretty much voided anyway.

I think IF we took OL in round 1, there would be a lot of people upset because we didnt upgrade the secondary. Understandable. BUT, drafting an OLman would definitly improve the team. I would be shocked if that OLman was a tackle and not a guard or center.

Back on track...

Ive heard of some of the names youve mentioned at safety, but i still have yet to watch any of them. I have heard good things about Lester.

I was surprised to see/hear of Amerson doing so poorly, because he really is a darn good CB.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

September 6th, 2012, 12:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Please Note: I Despise Saban and the Tide, yes even before last weekend. But they Produce good Football players.

On Lester: He is with Alabama and not LSU. I read a great article on him.

If you dont want to read it, the gist of it is that He played at the same HS as Julio Jones, and many thought he only got to Alabama as a throw-in with JJ, however his HS coach said he was the only DB who could play with Jones in their final year together, and that he covered him in practice well, and he predicted he would be a great College player with NFL potential.

Article: http://espn.go.com/colleges/alabama/foo ... -secondary

As far as Barret Jones, dude is a Stud. Here is his Track Record

2008: Played in 3 games as True Freshman. Suffered Shoulder Injury and got Medical Redshirt
2009: Started all 14 Games as RG on National Championship team.
2010: Started 11 Games as RG before Missing Final 2 Games with High Ankle Strain. First-team Academic All-American in 2010 ... third-team AP All-American ... first-team All-SEC by the AP ... was on the watch list for the Outland Trophy.
2011: Started 10 Games at LT for National Championship Team. Missed 2 Games due to Ankle Sprain. Also Played LG, C & RT in a few Spots. Won Outland Trophy. All-Everything.
2012: Starting Center since they had Up and Coming top Recruits to Play T & G but needed a quality Center. Pasted Michigans (admittedly inexperienced) DTs play after play. We shall see what he does, but dont be suprised to see him win another few OL awards at the end of the season, and possibly his 3rd National Championship.

He can Do it all.

Last edited by DJ-B on September 6th, 2012, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 6th, 2012, 3:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Butkus Award Winner

As others have said, RB, CB, SS, RG, and OLB are our biggest needs right now. Reiff very well may replace Peterman/Cherilus during or after this season, and at the very least he can be the best run blocking tackle on the team. The RB situation is one that I have no idea about. Who knows if Best comes back week 7 and our run game is doing some great things? At the same time, who knows if Jahvid still can't return after week 7 and Leshoure/Kevin Smith aren't getting the job done. Eric Coleman has looked very solid so far, and is a MUCH better tackler than Amari Speivey, so we'll have to wait to see how he fares against real offenses testing him. I think Mayhew will do anything in his power to get a top-tier CB next offseason, whether it be in the draft or FA, I think he'll get it done. Tahir Whitehead and Travis Lewis, as everyone knows, looked very impressive in camp. Maybe at least one will be good enough to start in the near future. If not, DeAndre Levy is serviceable.

IMO, Mayhew will take a guard/cornerback in the first round, safety in the second, trade up and take a RB in the second, and the rest will be random players following the BPA strategy.

Our CB situation REALLY isn't that bad to the point where we'd need to take a CB in the first round, so I hope that's not the case and we get a CB in free agency. People need to realize that our secondary was a top 10 unit before the 3 key players (Delmas, Berry, Houston) all went down with injuries, as well as a bunch of injuries along the defensive line, which is LOADED with 8 healthy DL who could start on most teams. And now the secondary is even deeper with talent. Our D allowed 120+ more total yards on average in the games Delmas missed. I hope people can see this and understand that Delmas isn't as bad as most make him out to be. Even though he's injured, he'll be back for week 3 at the latest, and why is that a big concern? We're facing the Rams/49ers in the first two weeks, so it's not like he's truly needed.

September 6th, 2012, 3:24 pm
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I really don't think we need to just yet. I think the team has to cut the umbilical cord with Best once and for all. All he has going for him is his speed. He does well in open field, but has never been a between the tackles runner. He simply can't be that in the NFL.
Until we know what we have with LeShoure, I think the combination of Smith, Williams and Bell give us pretty decent depth. The Lions don't need to have a premier running back. LeShoure, Williams and Bell have shown that they can get positive yards and fall forward. It's the offensive line that is not getting any push, and not opening holes. It's all I've been watching on the offense in this game against Buffalo. It's ridiculous. In the meantime, CJ Spiller is popping through holes so big that he could have a fat woman on each arm and still have room to spare. Rather than using a second rounder on a back, I'd prefer they get a top quality guard or center in this next draft. That's something they should have done in the past two drafts. The Lions have to start addressing the interior of this line, or they better find the second coming of Barry Sanders, if they want to have a running game.

IMO we should cut ties and draft a RB in the third round, or there abouts. I don't think it's a first round need, but if there's a second round value, I'm all for it.

FWIW - There are top notch CBs that get drafted in the top 15, and there are developmental guys that get taken later. If we can trade up for a game-ready CB, I'm all for it, if not we should stand pat and use our first round pick on a SS if one falls, or an interior OLman. Like I said last year, we need players to upgrade this team and start NOW, not later. I understand drafting for depth, but you have to have a solid starting lineup first, and this team doesn't, flat out. We COULD have if we better managed our off-season, but that's another story.

September 6th, 2012, 3:37 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO we should cut ties and draft a RB in the third round, or there abouts. I don't think it's a first round need, but if there's a second round value, I'm all for it.

FWIW - There are top notch CBs that get drafted in the top 15, and there are developmental guys that get taken later. If we can trade up for a game-ready CB, I'm all for it, if not we should stand pat and use our first round pick on a SS if one falls, or an interior OLman. Like I said last year, we need players to upgrade this team and start NOW, not later. I understand drafting for depth, but you have to have a solid starting lineup first, and this team doesn't, flat out. We COULD have if we better managed our off-season, but that's another story.

It's really tough to predict, because we have so many players who we really don't have enough tape on to know what we have. LeShoure, Bentley, Greenwood, Green, Whitehead, both Lewis', Fairley, Reiff. I think we know that Best needs to either retire or be given his release. I want to see just how well Bentley does in a starting role before I say we should trade up for a top 15 spot to get a top rated CB. But, with Chris Houston becoming a FA, it might force our hand even if Bentley turns out to be the real deal. It bothers me that we couldn't see Greenwood play, because many scouts felt that he was a steal in round five. Green I am not sold on. Hopefully he develops into a more consistent cover guy.

That said, I still feel the Lions biggest need by far is a safety. Coleman will be a free agent, and so will Delmas. If Delmas continues to be bitten by the injury bug, he needs to be let go as well. His presence does the team no good if it is on the sidelines and not on the field. Of the two, I'd prefer they kept Coleman at this stage of the game. Spievey should have already been released. Wendling is good, but we need a bonafide ball hawker back there.

September 7th, 2012, 1:40 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
we need a bonafide ball hawker back there.

THIS

September 7th, 2012, 4:02 pm
RIP Killer

Can we finally all agree that safety is our biggest need for the upcoming FA/draft? Our safety play has been nothing short of embarrassing. And sorry, but Delmas doesn't raise the bar of play THAT much, and he can't be counted on to be healthy.

September 24th, 2012, 8:49 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Can we finally all agree that safety is our biggest need for the upcoming FA/draft? Our safety play has been nothing short of embarrassing. And sorry, but Delmas doesn't raise the bar of play THAT much, and he can't be counted on to be healthy.

I've agreed with that statement dating past last year.

September 24th, 2012, 9:05 am
QB Coach

I think we'll be picking high enough in the draft that we can take either the best CB or S available in round one. Then in round two we can take either a CB or a G/C and round three whichever of the three hasn't been picked yet.

October 1st, 2012, 12:00 pm
Team MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I think we'll be picking high enough in the draft that we can take either the best CB or S available in round one. Then in round two we can take either a CB or a G/C and round three whichever of the three hasn't been picked yet.

Do you think Mayhew will FINALLY just do what it takes to get that player? I understand his way of thinking, but when are we gonna say enough is enough, we gotta do whatever it takes to upgrade that secondary? I understand we spent x amount of picks on CBs this past year, but if there is another highly touted safety like Barron this year, lets do what it takes and get him. They wanna keep moving up to get RBs, why not do it in round 1 to get a stud? Again, its a little early and its NOT THAT EASY, i get it. But what I also "get" is getting burned in the secondary constantly sucks too and its a big contributor to us losing games.

October 1st, 2012, 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next