View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Welcome Drayton Florence 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Welcome Drayton Florence
Cut a guy who was a starter last year? He's definitely struggled but if injuries in the secondary continue to be an issue, the Lions might regret releasing a guy with starting experience in the system. Obviously I have no idea who they'll release but Spievey would surprise me.

September 2nd, 2012, 10:38 am
Heisman Winner

Boz wrote:
Some tears of sorrow as well.

Not for Spievey, but for the decent pick we wasted on him.

Anybody care to look up the next few picks in that round?

Off the top of my head, I think Colt McCoy, Jimmy Graham and Navarro Bowman were all taken after him.

September 2nd, 2012, 11:45 am
Player of the Year - Defense

He's signed, but they haven't filed transaction. As soon as they file we'll find out who they released.

September 2nd, 2012, 1:03 pm
QB Coach

Morgan Burnett - starting safety for the Packers, Jared Veldheer starting LT for the Raiders, Jon Asamoah - RG for the Chiefs, Donald Butler LB Chargers, WR- Eric Decker, Emannuel Sanders, Jimmy Graham.

All taken in the third round after Spievey.

It gets worse the further we look down with guys like safety Kam Chancellor, CB Alterraun Verner, Aaron Hernandez, Mike Williams, Marshall Newhouse, Antonio Brown, etc..

Yes I know not all would have fit our system, and yes some had pre-draft question marks (Hernandez) or weren't positions of need. But this is just the What-If game so I figured I'd list the names of the talent we missed.

Personally Burnett, Verner and Chancellor are the guys I think we most missed out on.

September 2nd, 2012, 1:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Thought it was a good time to repost this:

Quote:
Amari Spievey's lingering injury isn't helping the Lions' scouts
Published: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 1:56 PM
By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK - One of the more interesting battles you'll sometimes see at training camp has nothing to do with offense and defense or guys fighting for starting positions or roster jobs. It has to do with the feud between the coaching staff and the scouting department.

This happens more than you think. This year's battlefield - in the Rookie category - is cornerback Amari Spievey. The Detroit Lions' scouting department believes the third-round draft pick has a lot of ability and can be a productive player. The coaching staff thinks otherwise.

The biggest problem is that Spievey's lingering hip injury has kept him off the field for a week and all that does is deepen the coaches' beliefs. The scouts can't make a counter-argument until Spievey gets some time on the field.

At this rate, Spievey is not expected to play in Saturday's preseason game, but could be back at practice next Monday.
Linebacker Zack Follett was at the center of the storm last year, the scouts kept touting his ability and the coaches kept trying to cut him.

I'm often asked why it's different with the Lions now that Martin Mayhew has replaced Matt Millen as general manager and this is one of the biggest reasons why. Mayhew has done an excellent job of bridging the gap between the two departments. They found common ground with Follett and he's now a starter.

There are other times when a team keeps a player a little too long and the coaches are proven right.

The Lions' current coaching staff deserves a lot of credit for sticking with some players they're not initially crazy about and the scouting department should be commended for not widening the rift. That wasn't the case under Millen, who was almost always at odds with his head coach. Millen and Steve Mariucci, for example, agreed on virtually nothing.

These kinds of spats are part of NFL football, but the Lions took it to another level. Mayhew has brought the Lions back in line with the rest of the league and instead of front office personalities declaring a winner, these Lions are giving the players themselves the opportunity to determine the victor.

The scouts are still waiting for Spievey to get on the field and make an argument.

© 2012 MLive.com. All rights reserved.

September 2nd, 2012, 2:03 pm
Div 1 - Starter

its official now..............

September 2nd, 2012, 5:08 pm
National Champion

vankman79 wrote:
its official now..............

It isn't official who they are releasing...

September 2nd, 2012, 7:23 pm

It doesn't become official until monday, so they don't have to release anyone until then. They did sign another two to PS, so that fills up the PS with 8, so gives into likely that it's not a PS eligible player.

September 2nd, 2012, 9:11 pm

njroar wrote:
It doesn't become official until monday, so they don't have to release anyone until then. They did sign another two to PS, so that fills up the PS with 8, so gives into likely that it's not a PS eligible player.

Could be sending someone to IR...

September 2nd, 2012, 9:54 pm

mwill2 wrote:
njroar wrote:

Could be sending someone to IR...

They could, but no one's that hurt. Silva got a stinger, Lewis is just a hammy. Spievey makes sense. Smith was released for consistently making mistakes, and Spievey has been worse. Barnes can give that emergency safety and Wendling has proved he can play the position and not just be a special teams ace and Coleman has stayed healthy. The active roster of Delmas, Coleman, Wendling and Silva is better and deeper than last season.

At Corner, the roster being Houston, Bently, Florence, Lacey, Barnes and Green is better and deeper than last season.

Simply put, Spievey is a liability when he's out there and he hasn't improved.

September 2nd, 2012, 10:09 pm

I have no idea who will be waived/cut to make space for Florence. We'll know Monday, so there's no point in arguing about it. I'm just pointing out that a practice squad-eligible player, like Travis Lewis, could indeed be moved to IR to create the roster spot. Teams hide developmental players on IR all the time.

September 2nd, 2012, 11:40 pm

mwill2 wrote:
I have no idea who will be waived/cut to make space for Florence. We'll know Monday, so there's no point in arguing about it. I'm just pointing out that a practice squad-eligible player, like Travis Lewis, could indeed be moved to IR to create the roster spot. Teams hide developmental players on IR all the time.

Travis Lewis has been running hard all week, they just didn't play him. And the problem with moving the PS eligible players is they'd have to be waived/injured first, so there's a chance another team would pick them up first, like we did with Nagy. It's a possibility, but I don't think they want to risk losing any of the young talent.

September 3rd, 2012, 3:42 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

njroar wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

Travis Lewis has been running hard all week, they just didn't play him. And the problem with moving the PS eligible players is they'd have to be waived/injured first, so there's a chance another team would pick them up first, like we did with Nagy. It's a possibility, but I don't think they want to risk losing any of the young talent.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case now that the regular season has begun...

September 3rd, 2012, 7:58 am

Ricardo Silva was waived today to make space for Florence.

September 3rd, 2012, 9:00 am
Varsity Captain

we will be putting him on the practice squad as soon as he clears waivers .he was best option to clear waivers so we wouldnt lose anyone.knew it was gonna come from one of the extra safeties .

September 3rd, 2012, 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next