View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 2:45 pm



Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Our CB Situation 
Author Message
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Posts: 433
Post Our CB Situation
Should we be trying to go out and give one of these guys (Article below) a shot and how come we didn't give up a 6th and 7th rd picks for both of them in our CB state? One of them might be able to fit our defense but not Raiders, especially Chimdi Chekwa he was pretty nice at Ohio St. Thoughts??

Raiders pulling plug on 2011 third-round pic
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Detroit Lions v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

As Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie continues to settle in as the new captain of the team’s front office, he’s not afraid to overturn the decisions of his predecessor, the late Al Davis.

Per a league source, McKenzie and company will be waiving today cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke.

Van Dyke, a third-round pick in 2011 who appeared in 14 games with four starts last year, fit the former vision for the franchise. He was fast. The fastest man at last year’s Scouting Combine, running the 40-yard dash in 4.28 seconds.

The move comes two days after the Raiders and McKenzie parted ways with cornerback Chimdi Chekwa, a fourth-round pick in 2011 who ran the 40 in 4.33 seconds at the Combine. Both Chekwa and Van Dyke are listed as second-team corners in the Raiders’ most recent depth chart, with Shawntae Spencer and Ron Bartell the starters. Joselio Hanson recently was added to the team, which apparently triggered the decision to dump Van Dyke.

Van Dyke will now hit the waiver wire, with the Colts continuing to have dibs.

The broader message is that McKenzie must see something in the player the team took in the third round of the 2011 supplemental draft, quarterback Terrelle Pryor. Otherwise, he’d be gone, too.

Then again, who knows what the next move from McKenzie will be?

_________________
The REAL "Lion King" and father to Simba


September 3rd, 2012, 2:14 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Offense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2828
Post Re: Our CB Situation
If you look at our Corners, only Houston is here from last season. Houston, Bentley, Florence, Barnes, Lacey and Green is the current roster. 2 rookies, 4 vets with only Florence being the old guy at 31. Gunther doesn't like playing rookies, but Bentley is talented enough to earn the spot, BUT he's not pressured to play because Florence and Barnes can come in and not be a total drop off like last season when Smith came in. All of them can hopefully learn something from Florence.

I was worried prior to the offseason about how they would fix the corner situation, but I'm satisfied with the corners we have now. Green won't be rushed into service and will get reps against arguably one of the best receiver corps in the game in practice, Bentley will be given a shot, but has qualified players behind him if he should falter a bit, which is expected as a rookie. It's not like last season where after Houston and Wright we had potential but not proven players. Florence and Barnes were cap casualties when their teams signed someone else, and Lacey would be the starter in Indy if he weren't a free agent. By no means am I saying we have even close to the best secondary in the league, but if our DL can keep pressure on the QB (top 10 last 2 seasons) then an average secondary becomes better because the QB has to get rid of the ball faster.

The two players the Raiders released are decent, but you'd have to release vets to keep them on the roster and then we'd be in the same situation as last year if an injury happens.

Our main concern right now is Safety and interior OL. It'll be interesting to see what happens with OJ Atogwe's hamstring. He might be worth a look after week 1 when his salary isn't guaranteed.


September 3rd, 2012, 2:29 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3875
Location: WSU
Post Re: Our CB Situation
Mufasa wrote:
Should we be trying to go out and give one of these guys (Article below) a shot and how come we didn't give up a 6th and 7th rd picks for both of them in our CB state? One of them might be able to fit our defense but not Raiders, especially Chimdi Chekwa he was pretty nice at Ohio St. Thoughts??

Raiders pulling plug on 2011 third-round pic
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Detroit Lions v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

As Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie continues to settle in as the new captain of the team’s front office, he’s not afraid to overturn the decisions of his predecessor, the late Al Davis.

Per a league source, McKenzie and company will be waiving today cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke.

Van Dyke, a third-round pick in 2011 who appeared in 14 games with four starts last year, fit the former vision for the franchise. He was fast. The fastest man at last year’s Scouting Combine, running the 40-yard dash in 4.28 seconds.

The move comes two days after the Raiders and McKenzie parted ways with cornerback Chimdi Chekwa, a fourth-round pick in 2011 who ran the 40 in 4.33 seconds at the Combine. Both Chekwa and Van Dyke are listed as second-team corners in the Raiders’ most recent depth chart, with Shawntae Spencer and Ron Bartell the starters. Joselio Hanson recently was added to the team, which apparently triggered the decision to dump Van Dyke.

Van Dyke will now hit the waiver wire, with the Colts continuing to have dibs.

The broader message is that McKenzie must see something in the player the team took in the third round of the 2011 supplemental draft, quarterback Terrelle Pryor. Otherwise, he’d be gone, too.

Then again, who knows what the next move from McKenzie will be?


great post, hopefully the lions scouts now these guys. if they are supposedly better than green why not try to slide green to the PS and pick up one of these guys IF better and more experienced?


September 3rd, 2012, 4:14 pm
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 557
Post Re: Our CB Situation
Our CB Situation looks better than it did two weeks ago with the addition of Barnes and Florence, but that's not saying a whole lot.

What I wonder, is, how good does our secondary need to be considering that we've invested our resources at QB, WR, DT, and DL? We can't have premier talent at every position. If there are 64 starting CBs in the league, do we need to have one of the top 10 CBs in order to succeed? Top 20?


September 4th, 2012, 3:42 am
Profile
Pop Warner Rookie

Joined: October 30th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Posts: 97
Post Re: Our CB Situation
our cb situation is better than it was, which wasnt even that bad in the first place. we got torched in our last two games by two of the top three offenses in the nfl, i think our secondary issues were blown WAY out of proportion by the media because they try their damnedest to put detroit in a negative light. i think the rest of our defense is solid enough to keep teams at bay while our 4th ranked offense last year tears everyone to shreds.


September 4th, 2012, 10:25 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2376
Post Re: Our CB Situation
I found this interesting as possible insight as to where we're headed CB wise:

On (Drayton Florence's) size: "A lot of our other corners are all sort of the same size. Couple rookies we drafted have better size than Chris Houston and Bentley and Lacey; those guys are shorter, thinner guys. But he fits more into the guys we drafted. I mean he's six-foot; he's strong. He plays physical."

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/9/4/ ... #storyjump

_________________
"There were a couple times where I was just like, 'Is that legal?" Warford said. "Cause he was getting laid out. I was like, 'Someone might call the cops. This is not fair.'"


September 4th, 2012, 10:26 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Our CB Situation
I think we'll be fine once everyone gets healthy. Houston is a good, consistent guy. Bentley shows tons of promise. Florence and Barnes aren't complete screw ups, and should suffice.

What concerns me more is our safety position (I've been saying this for some time now). That is where we get burned a bunch more than on the outside. Opposing tight ends have made a living going right down the middle of the field on us. Spievey has no business eating up a roster spot, and Delmas can't stay healthy. Erik Coleman and John Wendling did pretty good filling in, but they haven't proven themselves in real games yet. I think Coleman is a HUGE step up from Spievey. Wendling won't hold off Delmas once he's healthy.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


September 4th, 2012, 11:18 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2376
Post Re: Our CB Situation
m2karateman wrote:
I think we'll be fine once everyone gets healthy. Houston is a good, consistent guy. Bentley shows tons of promise. Florence and Barnes aren't complete screw ups, and should suffice.

What concerns me more is our safety position (I've been saying this for some time now). That is where we get burned a bunch more than on the outside. Opposing tight ends have made a living going right down the middle of the field on us. Spievey has no business eating up a roster spot, and Delmas can't stay healthy. Erik Coleman and John Wendling did pretty good filling in, but they haven't proven themselves in real games yet. I think Coleman is a HUGE step up from Spievey. Wendling won't hold off Delmas once he's healthy.


I was very concerned about the safety position as well, but Coleman has been a pleasant surprise. I guess I didn't realize that he had been a legit starting NFL safety for some time. He and Delmas together, with Wendling as the primary backup, will mean a solid unit going forward.

_________________
"There were a couple times where I was just like, 'Is that legal?" Warford said. "Cause he was getting laid out. I was like, 'Someone might call the cops. This is not fair.'"


September 4th, 2012, 11:34 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3902
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Our CB Situation
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I think we'll be fine once everyone gets healthy. Houston is a good, consistent guy. Bentley shows tons of promise. Florence and Barnes aren't complete screw ups, and should suffice.

What concerns me more is our safety position (I've been saying this for some time now). That is where we get burned a bunch more than on the outside. Opposing tight ends have made a living going right down the middle of the field on us. Spievey has no business eating up a roster spot, and Delmas can't stay healthy. Erik Coleman and John Wendling did pretty good filling in, but they haven't proven themselves in real games yet. I think Coleman is a HUGE step up from Spievey. Wendling won't hold off Delmas once he's healthy.


I was very concerned about the safety position as well, but Coleman has been a pleasant surprise. I guess I didn't realize that he had been a legit starting NFL safety for some time. He and Delmas together, with Wendling as the primary backup, will mean a solid unit going forward.


well for the 6 games at most that Delmas will be heathy. we need to start looking for an alternative for him.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 4th, 2012, 11:45 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2376
Post Re: Our CB Situation
regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I think we'll be fine once everyone gets healthy. Houston is a good, consistent guy. Bentley shows tons of promise. Florence and Barnes aren't complete screw ups, and should suffice.

What concerns me more is our safety position (I've been saying this for some time now). That is where we get burned a bunch more than on the outside. Opposing tight ends have made a living going right down the middle of the field on us. Spievey has no business eating up a roster spot, and Delmas can't stay healthy. Erik Coleman and John Wendling did pretty good filling in, but they haven't proven themselves in real games yet. I think Coleman is a HUGE step up from Spievey. Wendling won't hold off Delmas once he's healthy.


I was very concerned about the safety position as well, but Coleman has been a pleasant surprise. I guess I didn't realize that he had been a legit starting NFL safety for some time. He and Delmas together, with Wendling as the primary backup, will mean a solid unit going forward.


well for the 6 games at most that Delmas will be heathy. we need to start looking for an alternative for him.


True, but we have no idea how many games Delmas will ultimately play. We'll have to make a decision on him soon anyways because his rookie contract won't last much longer.

_________________
"There were a couple times where I was just like, 'Is that legal?" Warford said. "Cause he was getting laid out. I was like, 'Someone might call the cops. This is not fair.'"


September 4th, 2012, 12:39 pm
Profile
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Posts: 433
Post Re: Our CB Situation
thelomasbrowns wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I think we'll be fine once everyone gets healthy. Houston is a good, consistent guy. Bentley shows tons of promise. Florence and Barnes aren't complete screw ups, and should suffice.

What concerns me more is our safety position (I've been saying this for some time now). That is where we get burned a bunch more than on the outside. Opposing tight ends have made a living going right down the middle of the field on us. Spievey has no business eating up a roster spot, and Delmas can't stay healthy. Erik Coleman and John Wendling did pretty good filling in, but they haven't proven themselves in real games yet. I think Coleman is a HUGE step up from Spievey. Wendling won't hold off Delmas once he's healthy.


I was very concerned about the safety position as well, but Coleman has been a pleasant surprise. I guess I didn't realize that he had been a legit starting NFL safety for some time. He and Delmas together, with Wendling as the primary backup, will mean a solid unit going forward.


well for the 6 games at most that Delmas will be heathy. we need to start looking for an alternative for him.


True, but we have no idea how many games Delmas will ultimately play. We'll have to make a decision on him soon anyways because his rookie contract won't last much longer.



It's funny, because Delmas remind me of Bob Sanders and we're in that place Colts was with him.

_________________
The REAL "Lion King" and father to Simba


September 4th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3902
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Our CB Situation
it's true...you KNOW when he's back there..the DB's all seem to play better. but as soon as he gets injusred...and he WILL....the whole D just falls apart.

The Bears had the same the same thign happen with Brown back when they made their SB run. He got hurt and next thing ya know the other DB"s couldnt even stand up let alonee play without him.


Long story short he's no good if he cant stay on the field...it doesnt matter how well he can play..you have to be on the field first.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 4th, 2012, 3:37 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Offense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2828
Post Re: Our CB Situation
Coleman/Wendling is a better safety duo than we put on the field last year when Delmas was out, so as long as Coleman stays healthy we shouldn't have the drop off we saw last season. Delmas is better than Wendling, but if you can't stay healthy, it doesn't matter. He's a free agent after this season, so I think it depends on him staying healthy whether or not they go in a different direction next year.


September 4th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Profile
Post Re: Our CB Situation
njroar wrote:
Coleman/Wendling is a better safety duo than we put on the field last year when Delmas was out, so as long as Coleman stays healthy we shouldn't have the drop off we saw last season. Delmas is better than Wendling, but if you can't stay healthy, it doesn't matter. He's a free agent after this season, so I think it depends on him staying healthy whether or not they go in a different direction next year.


Delmas isn't even that good when he is healthy. I'd like to see us use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a safety every draft until one pans out, or sign a FA FS/SS. Chris Hope isn't great, but he would have been better than anything we've had for the last few years.


September 4th, 2012, 4:56 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3902
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Our CB Situation
I say veteran leadership is always a good idea with at least 1 safety spot. We should free up a good amount of cash for a solid S FA next year. Draft a youngin beside him and let him teach.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 4th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.