View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Trade Thread 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Trade Thread
The Legend wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
What's going on with Marion Barber? I think he played last year with Chicago

I'd love to have Bount, but I can't see TB giving him up. He's too good, too cheap.

They're looking to fill Best's role, not looking for a power back. Think of RBs who can motion out to the slot and make plays in space. Someone like Reggie Bush, for example.

how about dexter mccluster

He's KC's slot receiver. With Charles and Hillis, they moved him to full time slot receiver this year and he's right there behind Bowe and Baldwin.

August 31st, 2012, 1:00 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I'd love to have Bount, but I can't see TB giving him up. He's too good, too cheap.

They're looking to fill Best's role, not looking for a power back. Think of RBs who can motion out to the slot and make plays in space. Someone like Reggie Bush, for example.

EXACTLY!!! All these guys who said we should've picked up Michael Bush or a similar runner are crazy. Leshoure is going to fill that role. We need a Best substitute.

You have to remember that when we were talking about getting Michael Bush, it was widely believed Best would be healthy and cleared to play for the start of the season, and we didn't know if LeShoure would be fully recovered from his Achilles tear.

Besides which, talent is talent. Getting a role player over a proven veteran makes little sense. With LeShoure, Bush and Smith, we would wear down defenses rather than bedazzle them with speed and shiftiness. Works just as well.....

August 31st, 2012, 7:17 am
Varsity Captain

I believe Marion Barber retired.

August 31st, 2012, 8:12 am
Walk On

Maybe we should give Aaron Brown another shot, we did it for Kevin Smith and that sort of worked out. He's a allusive, speedster that knows the offense a little as a 3rd down back. Also Tim Hightower is available from Washington

August 31st, 2012, 1:36 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
You have to remember that when we were talking about getting Michael Bush, it was widely believed Best would be healthy and cleared to play for the start of the season, and we didn't know if LeShoure would be fully recovered from his Achilles tear.

Very true, but I'm still seeing Bush talk. I don't think we're going to dramatically revamp our offense to pound the rock. Wouldn't make sense with the other personnel we have.

Mufasa wrote:
Maybe we should give Aaron Brown another shot, we did it for Kevin Smith and that sort of worked out. He's a allusive, speedster that knows the offense a little as a 3rd down back. Also Tim Hightower is available from Washington

With KS, it was more about injuries (continues to be, apparently). I think Aaron Brown is a bit of a dope--his mental mistakes did him in. At a certain point, you can't coach that stuff.

August 31st, 2012, 1:59 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

njroar wrote:
The Legend wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

how about dexter mccluster

He's KC's slot receiver. With Charles and Hillis, they moved him to full time slot receiver this year and he's right there behind Bowe and Baldwin.

im well aware of that, doesnt mean he has forgotten how to play RB. also KC still has Breaston so they may be willing to move him for a draft pick or help at another position. i cant imagine they view him as untouchable. the point was however that he would fit best's spot pretty well.

Last edited by The Legend on September 1st, 2012, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 31st, 2012, 2:14 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

EXACTLY!!! All these guys who said we should've picked up Michael Bush or a similar runner are crazy. Leshoure is going to fill that role. We need a Best substitute.

Besides which, talent is talent. Getting a role player over a proven veteran makes little sense. With LeShoure, Bush and Smith, we would wear down defenses rather than bedazzle them with speed and shiftiness. Works just as well.....

Sure, "talent is talent," but taking that route would represent an offensive philosophy shift and an organizational shift in terms of player acquisition. Mayhew and Schwartz have been consistent in their approach to player acquisition--they want role players. We can disagree with that philosophy but we shouldn't expect them to change how they go about building the team. That's why anyone hoping for a power back right now is setting himself up for disappointment.

August 31st, 2012, 4:56 pm
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
Sure, "talent is talent," but taking that route would represent an offensive philosophy shift and an organizational shift in terms of player acquisition. Mayhew and Schwartz have been consistent in their approach to player acquisition--they want role players. We can disagree with that philosophy but we shouldn't expect them to change how they go about building the team. That's why anyone hoping for a power back right now is setting himself up for disappointment.

I am not aware of any such philosophy (not saying your wrong, just that I've never heard that said). I've always heard Schwartz, Mayhew and Lewand talk about this being a talent driven league, and that their goal was to gather the most talented players onto the roster. Granted, they have to address positions and try to play to the strengths of the team. But I would hope that they would pick a talent over someone who fits a preconceived ideal of a small role within the team.

September 3rd, 2012, 2:15 pm

m2karateman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

I am not aware of any such philosophy (not saying your wrong, just that I've never heard that said). I've always heard Schwartz, Mayhew and Lewand talk about this being a talent driven league, and that their goal was to gather the most talented players onto the roster. Granted, they have to address positions and try to play to the strengths of the team. But I would hope that they would pick a talent over someone who fits a preconceived ideal of a small role within the team.

This is from right after this year's draft. He and Mayhew have echoed this sentiment many times since they arrived. This is just one example:

Quote:
Q: Does it shift at all from best player available to need as the draft goes on?
A: What happens is, the further down the draft you get, the more players you get that are at the same level. The higher you're up in the draft, there's differences between in the talent the further you get done. It really didn't matter. It was opportunity, and it was chances to get guys to fit profiles of what we wanted and have plans. It doesn't do a whole lot of good to draft a guy you don't have a plan for or doesn't fit what you're looking for in the position. As much as we say talent rules the board, it's talent that fits us. We thought all those opportunities were good for us.

September 3rd, 2012, 7:02 pm
QB Coach

according to the freep.com Mayhew was combing through the wires looking for a rb, but I haven't seen or heard anything since. Do you mean to tell me that NO ONE is available, including a CFL player? We're gonna hurt as a one dimensional team.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 5th, 2012, 7:47 am

WarEr4Christ wrote:
according to the freep.com Mayhew was combing through the wires looking for a rb, but I haven't seen or heard anything since. Do you mean to tell me that NO ONE is available, including a CFL player? We're gonna hurt as a one dimensional team.

The question is, is someone available who's an upgrade over who we have now? Apparently not.

September 5th, 2012, 9:01 am
The Legend wrote:
allenslions wrote:
i know us in scouting dp have been working our tails off looking at backs that could be available to us.and the boss has been burning up the phones.so were working hard to get this problem fixed.i can tell you one thing.the med staff is in the poop house with the boss right now big time.the boss was ready to grab a back in the second round until the docs assured him best would be cleared when camp started.so thats when he went with broyles.

i could ve told u that a long time ago. that they counted on best and leshoure was just plain idiotic...

You and me both... Even if Best started the season it was nothing short of moronic to rely on him to stay healthy for the whole year. We should have gone into the season with Best being nothing more than a bonus if he could possibly stay healthy.

mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Blount still caught 15 balls last year. Just because he runs harder it doesn't mean that he can't catch a damn screen pass. I really don't think you have to alter the game plan all that much to fit him in, and if our OC isn't capable, we need a new one. The bottom line is, we're screwed at RB and if we can get Blount we're foolish for not doing it.

Personally I don't think TB will trade him. Like I said, too good, too cheap. I think they'd want at least a 2nd round pick for him, if not a first... and he'll probably hold out or want a new deal at some point anyhow.

thelomasbrowns wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Michael Bush caught nearly 40 passes last year. IMO he's more of an all-purpose back than a "power runner," nice lame attempt at calling me crazy though...

thelomasbrowns wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

The question is, is someone available who's an upgrade over who we have now? Apparently not.

I don't know how you can look at this current roster and make a statement like "All these guys who said we should've picked up Michael Bush or a similar runner are crazy."

So, by your logic, because a small, tweener wasn't available, we should have just done nothing? BRILLIANT!!!

September 5th, 2012, 5:25 pm
RIP Killer

Isn't Blount coming off a blown out knee?

September 5th, 2012, 8:44 pm

conversion02 wrote:
Isn't Blount coming off a blown out knee?

He tore his MCL last year and missed a game or two, but it looks like he'll play this year. But that doesn't change the fact that he can't fill Best's role in this offense. He doesn't bring the mismatch dimension to the offense the coaches are likely looking for. He's a decent short-yardage type, as is Michael Bush, but either would be a square peg in a round hole in this offense.

September 5th, 2012, 11:00 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
So, by your logic, because a small, tweener wasn't available, we should have just done nothing? BRILLIANT!!!

Nope. Look, it's pretty clear we want two backs: one speedier for screens and such (should've been Best) and one who's more of a power back, but still versatile. The latter is of course going to be Leshoure, who we now know will be able to come back and play at a high level. He's only suspended for two games; does it make sense to you to bring in an expensive free agent or make a big trade to fill a hole that's actually not a hole?

September 6th, 2012, 7:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next