View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 3:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 NFL faces another labor battle, with officials 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
It wasn't bias, Dallas's Oline is atrocious. They had probably 3x as many holds then were called, and they missed the one call that probably changed the game in the hold on Cruz in the endzone that forced a fg instead of TD.

That said, they are going to over call player safety penalties. Overcalling is the exact opposite as being a risk. Mike Pierra was tweeting last night and it was surprising how spot on he said the refs were on spots and a lot of the other things they were questioned about the most. I think if the media payed as much attention to the regular refs, you'd see the same mistakes week after week, but we'll see how many actually pay attention once they're back.

I give them a B+ grade for the game last night. That hold on Cruz was blatant.

September 6th, 2012, 5:49 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
It wasn't bias, Dallas's Oline is atrocious. They had probably 3x as many holds then were called, and they missed the one call that probably changed the game in the hold on Cruz in the endzone that forced a fg instead of TD.

That said, they are going to over call player safety penalties. Overcalling is the exact opposite as being a risk. Mike Pierra was tweeting last night and it was surprising how spot on he said the refs were on spots and a lot of the other things they were questioned about the most. I think if the media payed as much attention to the regular refs, you'd see the same mistakes week after week, but we'll see how many actually pay attention once they're back.

I give them a B+ grade for the game last night. That hold on Cruz was blatant.

However, if you would have seen the camera view from the back of the end zone, it didn't look all that obvious. You had a tough time seeing the hold from there. And if the official tasked with watching Cruz had that vantage point, I can see where that call would be missed. You see missed calls like that by the regular officials too....quite often, as a matter of fact. Just like the holding calls by the linemen that don't get flagged, or the ridiculous call for a block in the back that was made (I forgot who the player was) when he barely touched the guy.

September 7th, 2012, 9:51 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I thought it was more obvious from the rear... but it could be just me lol. And yes, the block in the back was ticky tack, but he did do it before pulling back so I think it was the refs just following the letter of the law instead of being subjective. That's what you're going to get with people reffing who haven't done it for years and years at this level.

September 7th, 2012, 1:18 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
All in all, these refs haven't done THAT bad of a job so far.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

September 9th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lions2SB2 wrote:

I'd agree.....until the game between the Broncos and Steelers last night. That crew was absolutely horrendous. Numerous missed calls and mistakes that were just blatant.

Example: Ben Roethlisberger calling time out AFTER the clock had run down. The back judge throws the flag, but the referee waves it off. Absolutely wrong. The back judge, I believe, is the time keeper and in a matter of his throwing the flag like that the referee should not have waved it off. Replays showed Ben motioned for time out about a second AFTER the play clock ran down to zero.

There were a few other instances where some pretty pathetic calls were either made or missed. I didn't get to watch any other games except the Lions game, so I don't know how they did across the league. But that game last night was embarrassing.

September 10th, 2012, 8:34 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:

I'd agree.....until the game between the Broncos and Steelers last night. That crew was absolutely horrendous. Numerous missed calls and mistakes that were just blatant.

Example: Ben Roethlisberger calling time out AFTER the clock had run down. The back judge throws the flag, but the referee waves it off. Absolutely wrong. The back judge, I believe, is the time keeper and in a matter of his throwing the flag like that the referee should not have waved it off. Replays showed Ben motioned for time out about a second AFTER the play clock ran down to zero.

There were a few other instances where some pretty pathetic calls were either made or missed. I didn't get to watch any other games except the Lions game, so I don't know how they did across the league. But that game last night was embarrassing.

what? they made mistakes? you mean Seattle doesn't get 4 time outs? (pretty sure thats who got an extra one) hmmm... :-k :-k

ok I kid. they could definatly be better, but i think the message is getting through to a certain union that they are replaceable..that can only be a good thing.

September 10th, 2012, 10:13 am
Aside from the 4th TO in Seattle, and somewhat losing control of the Pitt/Denver game, I think the officiating has been great. I thought the squad that officiated the Lions game did a great job, and I think the female ref did a good job too.

The 4th TO in Seattle really is inexcusable. That simply can't happen. Thankfully, 1) without the union's involvement there can be real repercussions and someone can either get disciplined or fired, and 2) it didn't alter the outcome of the game. The Denver/Pitt game didn't really have many "missed calls," but it did have its moments when the refs looked a bit like Keystone Cops. In that game they also miss called the 2 minute warning, the spot of the ball seemed hokey a couple of times, and they were less than clear and authoritative about their job for a brief period in the game. It started to get out of control, thankfully they were able to reel it in. And all of this is being done under a microscope that the Union refs never had to operate under.

September 10th, 2012, 11:36 am
RIP Killer

There were a few clock errors including our game:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-r ... 49147/rams

Quote:
NFL admits clock error late in Lions win over Rams

The NFL has admitted that the clock operator made an error late in the Rams-Lions game -- a mistake that effectively granted Detroit a fourth timeout.

The Lions ended up winning 27-23 on Matthew Stafford's 5-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Smith with 10 seconds left.

Following Detroit's second timeout, the Rams had second-and-12 on the Lions 31 with 2:45 left in a 20-20 game. Quarterback Sam Bradford scrambled three yards and slid down inbounds. Line judge Shannon Eastin signaled for the clock to keep winding, but the clock operator stopped the game clock at 2:38.

By the time the game clock was restarted, the 40-second play clock was three seconds ahead. The discrepancy prevented the Rams from running the game clock down to the two-minute warning.

“I was aware of it because I had talked to coach (Brian) Schottenheimer after coach (Jim) Schwartz called timeout and I said ‘We'll be able to run this down to the two-minute warning,'” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “At that time, we had a plan in place so when Sam slid, I told Brian let's go to two minute and he says we can't and then I looked up and I realized that there was an error. So in essence, Detroit was granted an extra timeout if you want to look at it from that perspective.”

NFL senior vice president Greg Aiello told the Post-Dispatch via email that "it was a mistake by the clock operator. He stopped the clock incorrectly. The officials did not signal for it to stop."

Due to the error, Fisher changed course, ran the clock down to 2:03 and called time. Had the Rams gotten it down to the two-minute warning, they would have run the ball on third down to force the Lions to use their last timeout.

Instead the Rams went for the first down, Bradford threw incomplete and Greg Zuerlein kicked the go-ahead field goal. The Lions got the ball back at their 20 with 1:55 left.

And they still had a timeout, which they used with 35 second left.

The snafu helped Detroit get in position to win the game, rather than kick a tying field goal for overtime.

The NFL hires clock operators. They are not part of the officiating crew.

While the replacement official acted correctly in keeping the clock winding, Fisher noted a clock error is correctable if an official catches it when it occurs. Post-Dispatch beat writer Jim Thomas noted: “That leaves open the question of whether a more experienced officiating crew would have seen the error and corrected it before the next play.”

Fisher stressed that despite the error, the Rams had plenty of chances to make a play to win the game.

September 11th, 2012, 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Classy comments by Fisher.

At this point the league has extended the replacement refs through week 5. I wish they would just come out at this point and give them the entire season. IMO it's ridiculous that ESPN scrutinizes the officiating repeatedly, again, it seems like one union supporting another. The current refs have to operate under a microscope, and, IMO, under the circumstances they're performing amazingly well. Additionally, I can't believe the league allows former refs to sit in the press boxes and commentate on the games. So far, however, they've been mostly on the side of the replacement refs... Maybe it's a fix, maybe it speaks to how well the replacement refs are operating, or maybe they've just gotten lucky so far...

September 11th, 2012, 1:22 pm
1st Round Pick

Nice to see Darrius Heyward-Bey leaving the field on a stretcher after a nasty helmet-to-helmet hit. Which, oh by the way, was not flagged. :roll:

Also Mike Wallace threw some punches at an opponent without a flag or ejection

September 23rd, 2012, 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It's time for the NFL to admit that not everyone can do the job and give the referees what they want. I was on the side of the league, but these replacements are totally inept and continue to make mistakes that everyone in the stands can see, but apparently they can't. I watched some of the Ravens-Patriots game last night, and I about wanted to fly to the game and just beat the sh*t out of the refs for the poor officiating in that game. Calling BS stuff one play, then not calling something blatant the next, despite the fact that it's happening right in front of them. They got no balls, no brains, and no business being on the field.

They had their shot. They f**ked it up royally. Time to say bye-bye.

September 24th, 2012, 8:36 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I originally agreed with Steve Young that demand for the NFL is 'inelastic' and people will watch no matter what. But that was until yesterday's game. I really found myself doubting the integrity of the game before it was all over. So much so that when we ultimately lost, I was down, but not like usual: I realized a part of me just didn't care.

I don't blame the refs themselves; I blame the owners and Goodell. You're asking C- and D-teamers to do the work the A-teamers struggle with. All over some pittance per team per year. Inexcusable.

September 24th, 2012, 12:24 pm
1st Round Pick

Holy sh!t refs.... at this point I don't wanna watch NFL games anymore... way to just give Seahawks the win there.

September 25th, 2012, 2:46 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Wow: http://www.freep.com/article/20120925/S ... 9/sports01

September 25th, 2012, 7:24 am
1st Round Pick

Pretty soon you won't see players playing...

September 25th, 2012, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next