View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 40  Next
 Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity. 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
wait wait wait....witch isn't exactly a public friendly term....isnt warlock just the male representation of one? A witch is gender specific i thought... I was always under the impression that a warlock WAS a witch...only with a penis. (lol sorry if im being too casual, let me know if im being offensive)

Would you care to narrow down you own.....sect. since it's seems you've left us with a pretty broad generalization. I mean I know yer a hippy, but I somehow have doubts yer dancing naked around a fire with a glass full of Eye Of Newt! (yes my religeon has nut jobs too If i can admit that i can make fun of the wierdos on your side of the fence too right? :wink: )

I pictured you more along the lines of a....well....modern druid...

September 10th, 2012, 1:34 pm
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
wait wait wait....witch isn't exactly a public friendly term....
In a Christian-based society, is it any wonder?
regularjoe12 wrote:
isnt warlock just the male representation of one? A witch is gender specific i thought... I was always under the impression that a warlock WAS a witch...only with a penis. (lol sorry if im being too casual, let me know if im being offensive)
Lol, no worries mate :wink:
I too had thought they were gender specific terms; I have since learned that Witch does include males as well as females, though I believe some males do consider themselves Wizards instead.
regularjoe12 wrote:
Would you care to narrow down you own.....sect. since it's seems you've left us with a pretty broad generalization. I mean I know yer a hippy, but I somehow have doubts yer dancing naked around a fire with a glass full of Eye Of Newt! (yes my religeon has nut jobs too If i can admit that i can make fun of the wierdos on your side of the fence too right? :wink: )
My own 'sect' is that of a Witch. I am a Solitary Witch in that I do not belong to or celebrate with a Coven or other Witches. I perform my own rituals, spells, etc. I believe in Mother Earth and all that she provides for us. I believe in the balance of nature (which is partially why I don't subscribe to monotheism, for me balance includes male (god) & female (goddess)). I believe in Karma. I believe that each one of us has an unimaginable power inside of us just waiting to be discovered....and once it is, it will lead to our next 'evolutionary step'.
regularjoe12 wrote:
I pictured you more along the lines of a....well....modern druid...
Truth be told, I have chosen to incorporate parts of many different belief systems (mostly Old World and Eastern Philosophy). I don't really know what someone would call it, which is why I usually 'boil it down' to Paganism & Witchcraft.

September 10th, 2012, 2:23 pm

interesting...now i have to probe here......explain the "spells" part....

Im down with everything you said except that part....

If it wasn't for that in particular word in your last statement you'd pretty much be a buddist...

September 10th, 2012, 5:33 pm
Walk On

regularjoe12 wrote:

Think of it as "praying" to make something happen...

September 10th, 2012, 10:16 pm
QB Coach

IF something happens, who get's the credit?

Mother Earth?

Goddess?

God?

Man?

From the Chirstian standpoint there's good and evil. God as our Heavenly Father and out of His plan created mankind for a relationship as illustrated in Genesis. Adam and Eve walked in the garden WITH God.

Evil is represented by Lucifer or Satan, who PRIOR to man attempted to overthrow the kingdom and install himself as God, although he himself was created. So when his bid for power failed and he could not defeat God, he instead attacked those who bore the image of God.

Look at it this way, if I really want to hurt you, but I'm not strong enough to overthrow you, would it be to my advantage to seduce your wife? It hurts you by destroying your relationship, and causing a chasm between the once united partners.

So through deceipt and deception the woman was attacked, compromised, and corrupted in her thinking causing her to question God and what he'd said. Since that time, we being mankind have tried to make our way back to God. We've tried to restore the relationship, and we can't do it, we're the soiled ones. The contract between God and man was a blood contract, and the first shedding of blood was done to create the fur clothing that covered Adam and Eve. That set the stage for the Abrahamic contract, and the Promise, and Jesus arrival, death, and resurrection. Pure blood needed to be paid to restore the relationship, that's why Born again Christians call it getting "washed in the blood."

Now getting back to the questions above, if it isn't within the realm of a personal relationship with Jesus which leads to Christianity, it is counter Christianity. So if it's counter Christianity then wouldn't it be safe to say that Satan and his demons are perpetuating the deception by continuing to answer the prayers and work the "miracles" in order to enhance the deception? The reverse could be said of Christianity, but we've had discussions about miracles and healings too!

So again, who gets the credit?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 11th, 2012, 8:45 am
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
If it wasn't for that in particular word in your last statement you'd pretty much be a Buddhist...
I am very interested in Buddhism, but honestly don't know much about it. Would you know of any reputible sources of info?
I.E. wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Pretty much this. From Wiki:
Quote:
Spell casting
Main article: Magic (paranormal)

Probably the most obvious characteristic of a witch was the ability to cast a spell, "spell" being the word used to signify the means employed to carry out a magical action. A spell could consist of a set of words, a formula or verse, or a ritual action, or any combination of these.[22] Spells traditionally were cast by many methods, such as by the inscription of runes or sigils on an object to give it magical powers; by the immolation or binding of a wax or clay image (poppet) of a person to affect him or her magically; by the recitation of incantations; by the performance of physical rituals; by the employment of magical herbs as amulets or potions; by gazing at mirrors, swords or other specula (scrying) for purposes of divination; and by many other means.[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft#Spell_casting
As an aside, I saw this on Wiki too....
Quote:
Eucharist

The word eucharist originally comes from the Greek word for thanksgiving. However, within magick, it takes on a special meaning—the transmutation of ordinary things (usually food and drink) into divine sacraments, which are then consumed. The object is to infuse the food and drink with certain properties, usually embodied by various deities, so that the adept takes in those properties upon consumption. Crowley describes the process of the regular practice of eucharistic ritual:

The magician becomes filled with God, fed upon God, intoxicated with God. Little by little his body will become purified by the internal lustration of God; day by day his mortal frame, shedding its earthly elements, will become in very truth the Temple of the Holy Ghost. Day by day matter is replaced by Spirit, the human by the divine; ultimately the change will be complete; God manifest in flesh will be his name.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magick#Eucharist
Hmm, so it appears as though the Catholic Church (as well as other Christian sects) practices Magick during Mass, even though its against their Dogma. More hypocritical actions [-X
WarEr4Christ wrote:
IF something happens, who get's the credit?

Mother Earth?

Goddess?

God?

Man?

What do you mean by 'credit'? Please explain.

September 11th, 2012, 9:48 am
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:

Why does someone have to get credit?

September 11th, 2012, 10:14 am
Profile WWW

I.E. wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Actually no, it would more akin to not cutting you hair to protect you from demons ( a Protestant belief if I'm remembering correctly)

A prayer is more along the lines of asking for help.

Wags any book on Taoism would get you started in the right direction. I'll try and find the book I read years ago, but I'm not sure if it survived the fir I had years ago so I can't make any promises. I am eager to hear if you find some of the same conclusions that I had. With your christian background I'm curious to see if others find Taoism teaching and Jesus sermons as similar as I do.

Some examples: the golden rule is straight up a Tao philosophy. Original sin, the idea that everyone is born with both good and evil, is the same basic philosophy as the yin yang. Jesus always taught in parable, .almost all Taoism is taught the same way.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Taoism is similar to he bible ( the old testament is definately NOT) but Jesus's sermon in particular are stickingly similar.

Last edited by regularjoe12 on September 11th, 2012, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 11th, 2012, 10:29 am

Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

Why does someone have to get credit?

And the people all said " Ahmen"!

September 11th, 2012, 10:42 am
QB Coach

Credit might not be the best word used here, but I couldn't think of another one so let me follow up with another question.

What are the purpose of "spells" or prayer? Is it to get something, change something, help someone, heal someone and so on?

If that happens, based upon your belief structure who get's the credit? I'm asking because you and I.E. have stated that you don't believe the historical and Scriptural evidence of God, and that you would need to see the Physical proof or scientific proof of God in order to believe. I know I didn't say it as adequately as y'all may have but I hope you understand my meaning.

I say this because of my stance that there IS a Spiritual side to life. It can not be explained, measured, scientifically calculated or proven, but it does exist. In this Spiritual realm you have good and evil, which I explained to some extent above. Now if I am the devil and I'm trying to hurt God who I can not overthrow or overcome, then I attack the next best thing, humanity. Now to perpetuate that I continue the initial deception through out the course of humanity by meeting the requirements that God would normally do according to His plan and authority. In other words, when Lucifer was forcibly removed from Heaven in the Angelic war, he was cast down to Earth with his followers, 1/3 of the angelic beings. This was where his interaction with man began, and continues from. So now I have all these weak humans running around bearing the image of God, whom I hate, and so I will deceive them and destroy them thus hurting God. To do this we look at the evil that happens around us, we look at the evil within us, and the DECEPTION that continues. If I'm a Druid, or pagan or any other non-Christian, I have the POTENTIAL to be deceived by the demonic spirits that will continue to lead me away from the truth. In fact, the basis of TRUTH itself is questioned furthering the deception, muddying the waters.

The Christian side is the opposite side of the coin in that we pray for conversation with God, we seek wisdom, guidance, healing, provision and all of the things pagans and others would seek. Clear choice this or that. But again, Who get's credit for the results? Results do happen so to whom do you attribute it too?

That's the point I'm trying to say, I'm honestly not trying to offend anyone or trash their belief system, I was asking a question. So I hope with all my heart that no one was offended by my illustration of the difference in beliefs as I understand them.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 11th, 2012, 12:58 pm
Modmin Dude

WarEr4Christ wrote:
What are the purpose of "spells" or prayer? Is it to get something, change something, help someone, heal someone and so on?
Speaking only for myself, when I cast a spell is it usually for protection, strength, clarity, guidance, etc.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
If that happens, based upon your belief structure who get's the credit? I'm asking because you and I.E. have stated that you don't believe the historical and Scriptural evidence of God, and that you would need to see the Physical proof or scientific proof of God in order to believe. I know I didn't say it as adequately as y'all may have but I hope you understand my meaning.
I hope this is what you're looking for, if not let me know and I'll try to explain further or more accurately:
As stated above, I believe in Karma. When casting a spell or performing any Magick, as with anything in life, there are repercussions (balance); Karma will come back multi-fold.

For example: If someone decides to cast a spell for malicious reasons (Black Magick) then I believe that Karma will 'repay / come back' multi-fold towards that person in a negative manner.

Likewise, if someone casts a spell for positive purposes / reasons, then Karma will return / come back multi-fold in a positive manner.

Good begets good, Bad begets bad
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I say this because of my stance that there IS a Spiritual side to life. It can not be explained, measured, scientifically calculated or proven, but it does exist. In this Spiritual realm you have good and evil, which I explained to some extent above.
Agreed, the Spiritual realm does exist.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Now if I am the devil and I'm trying to hurt God who I can not overthrow or overcome, then I attack the next best thing, humanity. Now to perpetuate that I continue the initial deception through out the course of humanity by meeting the requirements that God would normally do according to His plan and authority. In other words, when Lucifer was forcibly removed from Heaven in the Angelic war, he was cast down to Earth with his followers, 1/3 of the angelic beings. This was where his interaction with man began, and continues from. So now I have all these weak humans running around bearing the image of God, whom I hate, and so I will deceive them and destroy them thus hurting God.
I do not believe Satan or Hell exists, just as I do not believe one, single God or Heaven exists.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
To do this we look at the evil that happens around us, we look at the evil within us, and the DECEPTION that continues. If I'm a Druid, or pagan or any other non-Christian, I have the POTENTIAL to be deceived by the demonic spirits that will continue to lead me away from the truth. In fact, the basis of TRUTH itself is questioned furthering the deception, muddying the waters.
With respect ANYONE has the potential of being deceived, even Christians :wink:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
The Christian side is the opposite side of the coin in that we pray for conversation with God, we seek wisdom, guidance, healing, provision and all of the things pagans and others would seek. Clear choice this or that. But again, Who get's credit for the results? Results do happen so to whom do you attribute it too?
I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason - good and bad. Further, I believe that I may never know said reason, and I willingly accept that.
By casting a spell, I am attempting to utilize my energies as well as the energies of the Universe for a specific purpose. If what I am trying to accomplish is meant to be and the time is right, then it will be. If it is not time yet, it will occur at a more appropriate time. If it is not meant to be, then it won't.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
That's the point I'm trying to say, I'm honestly not trying to offend anyone or trash their belief system, I was asking a question. So I hope with all my heart that no one was offended by my illustration of the difference in beliefs as I understand them.
No offense taken.

Hope this helps!

Peace, light and love

September 11th, 2012, 4:23 pm
Walk On

I find this conversation extremely interesting. I don't know anything about paganism or witchcraft - but I'd guess that an examination of the details would result (for me) in the same kind of profound problems that I have with the Abrahamic (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) religions. I just don't see any room or need in the equation for some external influence/presence(s).

I don't believe in anything supernatural of spiritual at all, really - at least not in a personal, interactive sense. I guess I'm more of a Jeffersonian/Thomas Paine type Deist, since I don't really insist that there is no God - just that there really isn't any evidence of one. If there is or was a God, IMO, it is a disinterested (in us) creator that has moved on to more interesting things... it is a big universe. So no - no devil, no hell, no heaven ... just us is all we have, and if that isn't reason enough to be "good" for "goodness sake" (as Santa says to be... lol), I don't know what would be. I just don't need the threat of punishment to be good - to me, it is an end in itself.

I'm currently reading a book by Karen Armstrong called "The History of God", which I would definitely recommend - although I find it amazingly dense (with content) writing, with maybe too high of expectations of the reader.

September 11th, 2012, 6:18 pm
QB Coach

Eric,

What saddens me by your comment is something that is common with many who really don't know God for who He is and would like to be in our lives.

The picture we have is the Jim Carrey version, "Smite me, almighty smiter". The threat of punishment is not the driving force of my belief relationship, I do what I do, and act how I act because I love him. It's a two way street, and no I can't produce the evidence you require to believe. My relationship is built and based upon love, not walking the line and being afraid to make a mistake because I might get zapped.

It is interesting to see how others believe what they do. I have a dear friend who is a shaman, and is very similar in beliefs to Wags....

September 11th, 2012, 8:10 pm
Walk On

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Eric,

What saddens me by your comment ...

OK - as long as you know that I'm equally saddened, for the reverse reasons.

September 11th, 2012, 8:28 pm
RIP Killer

How about this statement for all to follow:

Believe what you wish to believe, and don't force your belief on others. In the end, death will give us the truth.

September 12th, 2012, 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 40  Next