View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Rams 
RIP Killer

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Rams
devildog wrote:
Lions were lucky to win, although Stafford gave them a few gifts. I don't think we are that much better than the Rams, if at all, based on yesterday's performance. We better hope the Rams aren't picking # 1 overall, cause we will be picking #2.
49ers will pound us into the ground. They got better over the year, we did not.

Wait just a second. Stafford had a really bad game, and that's why the score was as close as it was. The Rams offense wasn't very successful, and they were relying on the defense to give them field position all day long. Detroit had far more first downs, had a higher third down conversion percentage, and had a bunch more yards in total offense. Basically speaking, 21 of 22 Lions players played pretty damn well. Unfortunately, as is the case in the NFL, you live or die through your QB.

So, if Stafford had played a game typical of what we saw last season, the score would have been more like 34-7 or there abouts. To say we aren't much better than the Rams is not really accurate. However, I would say that their defense improved dramatically over the past two seasons. Their offensive line is struggling, and losing both Saffold and Wells didn't help that one bit.

As for the SF game, the Lions played them close last season. If Houston, Bentley and Delmas can play, we should make a game of it. Will the Lions win? Not in my book, but I don't think it will be a blowout unless Stafford screws the pooch again.

September 10th, 2012, 4:33 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
devildog wrote:
Lions were lucky to win, although Stafford gave them a few gifts. I don't think we are that much better than the Rams, if at all, based on yesterday's performance. We better hope the Rams aren't picking # 1 overall, cause we will be picking #2.
49ers will pound us into the ground. They got better over the year, we did not.

Wait just a second. Stafford had a really bad game, and that's why the score was as close as it was. The Rams offense wasn't very successful, and they were relying on the defense to give them field position all day long. Detroit had far more first downs, had a higher third down conversion percentage, and had a bunch more yards in total offense. Basically speaking, 21 of 22 Lions players played pretty damn well. Unfortunately, as is the case in the NFL, you live or die through your QB.

So, if Stafford had played a game typical of what we saw last season, the score would have been more like 34-7 or there abouts. To say we aren't much better than the Rams is not really accurate. However, I would say that their defense improved dramatically over the past two seasons. Their offensive line is struggling, and losing both Saffold and Wells didn't help that one bit.

As for the SF game, the Lions played them close last season. If Houston, Bentley and Delmas can play, we should make a game of it. Will the Lions win? Not in my book, but I don't think it will be a blowout unless Stafford screws the pooch again.

wow. Im shocked by you devildog. we had 3 T.O. (one of em a pick 6) and STILL WON! that tells you this team is good enough to overcome adversity...not taht it sucks. If Stafford had (or develops) a habit of turning the ball over regularly then you might be on to somethning, but dangman! thats an awful lot of hate for a D that only allowed 1 TD and an offense that overcame 3 T.O.'s...

September 10th, 2012, 5:47 pm
Team MVP

devildog wrote:
We better hope the Rams aren't picking # 1 overall, cause we will be picking #2.

Are you freakin' serious?? They had a bad game. SO WHAT?! Picking #2 Overall bad? Not even close. I dont even know what to say to that.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 10th, 2012, 8:36 pm
National Champion

kdsberman wrote:
devildog wrote:
We better hope the Rams aren't picking # 1 overall, cause we will be picking #2.

Are you freakin' serious?? They had a bad game. SO WHAT?! Picking #2 Overall bad? Not even close. I dont even know what to say to that.

Agreed. There are few fans on here that are seriously overreacting.

September 10th, 2012, 8:39 pm
Heisman Winner

lmao the game really wasn't even close besides the scoreboard. I know that's all the matters, but seriously if Stafford doesn't make those 3 horrible horrible mistakes it's atleast 14 points more for the Lions and probably more because he was doing so good besides those throws.

September 10th, 2012, 8:41 pm
Junior Varsity

Okay, alright, perhaps my disappointment forced me to be a bit glib. The "D" played well, and yes, Stafford stunk it up, but I just don't feel like we are any better. It just frosts my rear that we did nothing to improve our running game and we all know a strong passing game will shred our defense. IF the Lions show we belong on the field with the 49ers next week, I will be the first to come on here and say I was wrong. I am just sick and tired of watching teams get better while we stay the same. As lions fans, we are so used to being so bad, are we supposed to be satisfied with competitive? I am getting old, 52 years on this earth and one playoff win, and not looking like we are going to double that record again this year. Sorry to be negative after a win, but I was hoping for more after last year.

September 10th, 2012, 8:44 pm
Team MVP

And to add to my previous post, lets compare Green Bay and Detroit.

Green Bay is probably a better team, sure. But please dont tell me you think Green Bay has a better defense. They dont. Our defense stopped who in my opinion is a better running back that Gore, in Steven Jackson. I really dont think Alex Smith is THAT much better than Bradford. Better, probably. But given what Bradford has to work with and behind what Oline he has, not THAT much.

Anyways, regardless if the Niners coach is a huge tool or not (which he is)(and I know that has NOTHING to do with this), their defense is VERY good. That cant be argued. But you also cannot argue that Green Bay did not play its best game offensively. Their running game was practically non existent, where ours was actually somewhat productive. Sure, it was against a weaker D, but still. Overall anyways I'd have to say that the Lions running game is better than Green Bays. I think San Fran knew their running game sucks and game planned defensively for that. It worked. Again, San Frans defense is very good.

I will pause again to say I understand that the Niners are a very good team. BUT, guess what? So are the Lions. Like M2K mentioned, we hung in there with them last year.

Continuing..

We played without two of our best defensive backs. Then our other starting CB (Bentley) left the game. Other than Gibsons TD reception, which was a wonderful throw and catch by the Rams, this defense only allowed 9 pts. Not too bad. The Niners offense is better, no doubt. But guys, this isnt the Patriots offense were talking about here. They can be stopped.

If I were forced to say who I think will win this game, I probably would say the Niners. Who wouldnt? Their defense is very good. Their offense does just enough to win time of possession. Alex Smith is playing his best football since being drafted. They have a very good offensive line. Gore is a great running back. Jim Harbaugh is a douche. (sorry again)

They have a great team.

BUT.

They can be beaten. The Lions (especially Stafford) have to be clicking on all cylinders. Like someone mentioned before, Calvin still had 111 yards being blanketed all day and being covered by Finnegan, who I think is a better CB than anything the Niners have. Again, the Lions have to play awesome to win this, especially IN San Fran. But you think they dont know all of this? Its called having confidence in your team, something myself and a ton of people on here have, and the Lions having confidence in themselves to win this game, which i KNOW they do.'

If Stafford and the offense are clicking, there really isnt any defense in this league, yes..even the Niners, that can stop it. We've all seen what they are capable of doing when they are on fire. Its really something special.

I doubt Delmas will play next week. But if Houston plays and the Lions have a better week offensively, I can see this being a game. The Lions can absolutely win this game. But its going to be very very tough.

GO LIONS.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 10th, 2012, 9:11 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Would SF have even won that game without the bogus spot on the return? It's a valid question.

September 10th, 2012, 10:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

i really cant wait for this game

September 11th, 2012, 12:16 am
Player of the Year - Defense

It doesn't show everything, but a good slow look at a lot of the running plays. Shows the hole and push the line was getting. Also shows how much Stafford gets the ball into tight spaces or just over someone's head.

September 11th, 2012, 12:54 am
Rookie Player of the Year

If K. Smith can stay healthy for once and we get LeShoure back, I think the running game will be just fine.

September 11th, 2012, 6:02 am
Div 1 - Starter

I love the Slowlights.

September 11th, 2012, 6:56 am
QB Coach

I've got to say I was IMPRESSED with our ability to run, AND the lack of penalties. We were one of the most penalized teams last year, and yet even with the miscues and things going on, and especially with the teams getting chippy, the Lions didn't blow their top.

St. Louis' d was supposed to be fairly decent from what I understood, but I could be wrong. Next Sunday will be a SERIOUS test for us, being on the road and playing a beginning hated rivalry. But I think we can win if the team washes out on everything else. D's are comparable, run game showed some promise, penalties much better, secondary much better than expected, special teams better with new additions, so it comes down to QB abilities, and we have the edge I think!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 11th, 2012, 8:51 am
QB Coach

Sorry I meant to add this and I forgot.

I wonder did Stafford over look St. Louis? They weren't supposed to be as strong as they came in, and he got caught doing rookie things like staring down receivers and stuff. He'll need to be like he was in the last 1.55 in order to get us a win on the West Coast. This could be like the Oakland game last year.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 11th, 2012, 8:53 am
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Sorry I meant to add this and I forgot.

I wonder did Stafford over look St. Louis? They weren't supposed to be as strong as they came in, and he got caught doing rookie things like staring down receivers and stuff. He'll need to be like he was in the last 1.55 in order to get us a win on the West Coast. This could be like the Oakland game last year.

I don't think Stafford overlooked St. Louis. I think Jeff Fisher knew what to expect from the Lions, and put his defense in position to make the plays they did. Yes, Stafford made some bad throws on those picks. But the Rams players were also in VERY good position on those plays, almost as if they knew what was coming. Mostly, it's because they did. The Rams had an entire off-season to be ready for this game. I would put the blame not just on Stafford, but on Linehan as well. His offense gets very predictable in the red zone, and that has been one of the criticisms I've had about his offense. You can't keep going back to the same plays and not expect that the opposing team won't know what's coming.

September 11th, 2012, 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next