View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 10:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Rams 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Rams
Seifert/ESPN wrote:
Free Head Exam: Detroit Lions
September, 10, 2012
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

After the Detroit Lions' 27-23 victory over the St. Louis Rams, here are three issues that merit further examination:

1. Here's another way of looking at the accomplishment of quarterback Matthew Stafford's latest comeback effort: The Lions won with a minus-3 turnover margin, courtesy his three first-half interceptions, for the first time since 1974. In other words, it doesn't happen very often. Stafford described his approach this way: "Trusting everybody to go out there and make plays." But I think we can agree there is something special about Stafford's makeup that has allowed him, from his earliest days as an NFL rookie, to maintain concentration and poise while still aggressively pushing the ball down the field for quick scores. And oh, by the way, Stafford's 355-yard effort allowed him to become one of four quarterbacks to surpass 8,000 yards in his first 30 starters. The others? Guys named Kurt Warner, Dan Marino, Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo.

2. Via Twitter and the mailbag, some of you have suggested that receiver Calvin Johnson needs to exert better leadership to help teammate Titus Young overcome his maturity problems. I respectfully disagree. That's not Johnson's job and this isn't his problem. Johnson's role is to set a positive example for conduct on and off the field, which he absolutely does 100 percent of the time. It's on Young to understand, embrace and emulate it. Allowing a rookie (the Rams' Janoris Jenkins) to draw him into a confrontation that ended with a head-butt, and a 15-yard penalty, was infuriating, immature, and a clear sign that Young doesn't have control over his emotions even under the highest of scrutiny. I'll say this: Young must be one heck of a talented receiver. Otherwise, the Lions might have moved on already.

3. The Lions were down to at their fifth cornerback Sunday after Bill Bentley departed with a concussion, and the Rams found a way to exploit him. Quarterback Sam Bradford found rookie cornerback Jonte Green matched 1-on-1 with receiver Brandon Gibson at the Lions' 23-yard line in the fourth quarter. I thought Green did a nice job recovering after Gibson beat him off the line of scrimmage, but Gibson still hauled in a touchdown that gave the Rams a 17-13 lead. Now the question is what kind of secondary the Lions can put together for Sunday night's game against the 49ers. It's not out of the question that Bentley, starting cornerback Chris Houston (ankle) and safety Louis Delmas (knee) could all be sidelined.

And here is one issue I still don't get:

For me, one of the hardest Lions players to figure out over the years is tight end Brandon Pettigrew. By all accounts, he is an excellent blocker. He is tough, as evidenced by his quick return from a late-November torn ACL in 2009. And he has been exceptionally productive as a receiver when defenses focus attention on the Lions' downfield receivers. In his past 33 games, including Sunday, he has 159 receptions. On the other hand, Pettigrew has developed a habit of dropping passes, including several -- as in Sunday's game -- that would have gone for touchdowns. ESPN Stats & Information unofficially had him with seven drops last season, tied for the eighth-most in the NFL. It's hard to ignore how open he gets in the red zone, and Stafford wouldn't throw his way if he didn't trust him. But to me, the drops are the only thing keeping Pettigrew from being recognized as perhaps the best all-around tight end in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... t-lions-35

September 11th, 2012, 10:31 am
RIP Killer

You know the Lions have come away when their QB had an awful day and still lead the league in passing!

September 11th, 2012, 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

OH WOW, I don't know if I was the last person to catch on to this but the nfl lions rams official game highlights had to Kevin Smith (the Director) puns.

Clerks, Mall rats, Chasing amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent bob strike back, and Clerks 2 ring a bell???

The guy says Kevin Smith is Chasing amy into the end zone the first time, and he was Mall Ratting his way the 2nd time. Just wondered if anyone else caught that LOL

September 11th, 2012, 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Didnt catch it, then again I had to keep switching feeds. that is pretty funny though.

September 11th, 2012, 5:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Pablo wrote:
You know the Lions have come away when their QB had an awful day and still lead the league in passing!

Seriously? He had the most passing yards? Awesome!

Throwing three INTs sucks, but having 355 passing yards helps take some of the sting out of it.

September 12th, 2012, 1:31 am
Modmin Dude

Another nice tidbit from this game:
MLive wrote:
A second look: Detroit Lions OT Gosder Cherilus did admirable job containing Chris Long
By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on September 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM,
updated September 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Over the past two seasons, St. Louis Rams defensive end Chris Long has developed into one of the NFL's elite pass rushing defensive ends, earning Pro Bowl honors each of those years.

On Sunday, he was not only held without a sack, he didn't record a tackle for just the fourth time in his career, and the first time since the 2010 season finale. (Note: Long deserved credit for a tackle on a third-quarter play where he helped stop Kevin Smith behind the line of scrimmage).

Long played 60 snaps on Sunday, 44 of which were passing downs. On 34 of those plays, Lions right tackle Gosder Cherilus was the Lions' first line of defense. Occasionally, Cherilus received the benefit of a second blocker (three plays) and the team also offered a chip block from a tight end four times, but 31 plays it was mano-a-mano on the right side of the line.

To say Cherilus held his own would be an understatement. The fifth-year pro out of Boston College showed quickness out of his stance, excellent foot work and good hand positioning throughout the game, controlling the speedy and strong Long.

Long did generate a few pressures, registering a pair of hits on Stafford (one while being blocked by guard Stephen Peterman), and flushing the Lions quarterback from the pocket on a play at the end of the first half that nearly resulted in his fourth interception, but for the most part, Cherilus controlled the battle.

Long tried just about everything in his arsenal. He attempted to use his speed on the outside, his hands to work inside, a handful of stunts, and even a few fruitless spin moves.

On the game's game-winning touchdown drive, Cherilus controlled Long, including a massive pancake block.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
I heard or read somewhere that Detroit's OLine is one of only 4 or 5 that is returning every player from last season. Finally getting some much needed continuity.

September 12th, 2012, 4:57 pm

I read that article and it was the first glimmer of hope ive had for cherilus in years that maybe he is worth keeping. Pro-bowler (ever)... not Likely, but worth keeping for a fair contract... Yes, if he continues to perform like that throughout the year.

If he solidifies the RT position for us the "Remake our OL Now" process becomes much easier.

September 12th, 2012, 5:05 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

DJ-B wrote:
I read that article and it was the first glimmer of hope ive had for cherilus in years that maybe he is worth keeping. Pro-bowler (ever)... not Likely, but worth keeping for a fair contract... Yes, if he continues to perform like that throughout the year.

If he solidifies the RT position for us the "Remake our OL Now" process becomes much easier.

He's also got solid competition behind him for the first time ever. Hilliard isn't replacing anyone... Reiff and Fox can. Threat of replacement is a great motivator. Let's see how he does this week with Aldon Smith coming off that edge.

September 12th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Varsity Captain

I just watched the replay again and this is a game that the M4(Millen, Morinwheg, Mooch, Marinelli) Lions would have lost. This team has made great strides in a short time, however I think the 49ers bring us down to earth....and fast.

September 12th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Falkes wrote:
I just watched the replay again and this is a game that the M4(Millen, Morinwheg, Mooch, Marinelli) Lions would have lost. This team has made great strides in a short time, however I think the 49ers bring us down to earth....and fast.

I think the Rams took us back to Earth.

September 12th, 2012, 11:03 pm
RIP Killer

I remember reading a story after one of the pre-season games that stated Cherilus looked better during practices and in pre-season games than he has at any time in his career. Given that he had micro fracture surgery before last season, it affected him negatively in 2011. Now he's fully healthy, and hopefully has matured enough both mentally and physically that he can play to his potential, if not his draft status.

If I'm not mistaken, he is in his contract year, so that can be a motivator as well as the competition behind him waiting to take his job. If Cherilus can continue stonewalling defenders, then the Lions will have a hard decision to make come February.

September 13th, 2012, 9:28 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
I remember reading a story after one of the pre-season games that stated Cherilus looked better during practices and in pre-season games than he has at any time in his career. Given that he had micro fracture surgery before last season, it affected him negatively in 2011. Now he's fully healthy, and hopefully has matured enough both mentally and physically that he can play to his potential, if not his draft status.

If I'm not mistaken, he is in his contract year, so that can be a motivator as well as the competition behind him waiting to take his job. If Cherilus can continue stonewalling defenders, then the Lions will have a hard decision to make come February.

I hope you are right, M2k. And watching Week 1 you seem to be. He did look very good, especially considering he went up againt a very solid DE in Chris Long.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 13th, 2012, 11:16 am
Modmin Dude

Film review of a couple key plays w/Schwarz:
http://www.detroitlions.com/media-cente ... 62be4d67ff

September 13th, 2012, 11:19 am
RIP Killer

That first play Schwartz reviewed shows just how strong Ndamukong Suh truly is. He's pushing a guard with one hand and stops Steven Jackson by grabbing him with the other. How many players have EVER brought a halt to a healthy Steven Jackson with one hand? That was just amazing.

As for Cherilus....I've never been a big fan of his, and have openly called for the Lions to either release him or move him inside. However, he has looked pretty good this year. If he can continue playing that way, I'll gladly change my tune and be a supporter of his. All he has to do is play consistently, keep Matt upgright, get some push in the running game, and not commit any false starts.

I don't ask for much....

September 13th, 2012, 12:18 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
That first play Schwartz reviewed shows just how strong Ndamukong Suh truly is. He's pushing a guard with one hand and stops Steven Jackson by grabbing him with the other. How many players have EVER brought a halt to a healthy Steven Jackson with one hand? That was just amazing.

As for Cherilus....I've never been a big fan of his, and have openly called for the Lions to either release him or move him inside. However, he has looked pretty good this year. If he can continue playing that way, I'll gladly change my tune and be a supporter of his. All he has to do is play consistently, keep Matt upgright, get some push in the running game, and not commit any false starts.

I don't ask for much....

Clearly! :lol: :wink:

September 13th, 2012, 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7