View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
DJ-B wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
I wanted Konz also, but can see why Mayhew went in the direction he did.

I still dont (unless he REALLY doesn't like Titus and has plans on letting him go if he doesnt change). Broyles is going to have to be some kinda WR for me to appreciate that in particular pick.

Picture this. We have 1 of the Most profilific Passing Attacks in the NFL. It requires Weapons. While we have 2 good young TEs, Linehan likes his receivers. Burleson is still producing but is slowing down. Imagine if Burleson was gone next season, and we didnt have Broyles....

We'd be putting in a FA WR (think Rashied Davis and his ilk) , Someone like Patrick Edwards from this years PS, or a Rookie Pick like Derrick Williams from the next draft because we NEED a 3rd Rec for this Offense to Flow well.

So while it seems weird to Draft someone ahead of time, BEFORE they become a Need.. thats exactly what Mayhew did. He Drafted Talent, and we wont miss a beat even if Burleson is let go/ Someone (other than CJ) gets injured/ Titus continues to act like a dumbass and gets himself Benched or Suspended.

What DJ-B said.

NEVER GIVE UP!

September 12th, 2012, 2:05 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I dunno...IMO there is always a veteran WR taht can play the slot available....

If broyles produces above average I'll change my stance...at this point though im not thrilled yet.

September 12th, 2012, 2:45 pm
QB Coach

regularjoe12 wrote:

If broyles produces above average I'll change my stance...at this point though im not thrilled yet.

Really? Like who? What veteran FA WRs have been signed by teams and have done well as slot-type receivers? I don't know of many examples of this. Welker in NE comes to mind. Not many others do. In fact, in looking at the receiving leaders over the past several years, the only guy on the list who is a veteran slot player on a different team than drafted him is Welker. Maybe Nate Washington, but I don't think he's a slot guy.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I just don't think good veteran slot WRs are out there like you're saying they are. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though....

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 12th, 2012, 3:57 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
I wanted Konz also, but can see why Mayhew went in the direction he did.

I can definitely understand why Mayhew drafted Broyles. The kid was able to flat out make plays at the highest collegiate level. His brief showings in pre-season showed he still knows how to find the open spaces and catch the ball with his hands and not his body.

What I don't quite agree with is how soon he drafted Broyles. But I am not privvy to all the information that floats around front offices at draft time, so maybe Mayhew honestly felt Broyles would be taken very soon after their pick. I have no doubt that if Broyles had remained healthy he would have gone in the first round of the draft. I think he's more talented than either Kendall Wright or AJ Jenkins, who went first round. But I still feel that with him coming off an injury of that kind, it was a risky move. It may pay off.

I think what upsets some people is that our first and second round picks aren't getting playing time, and as a result those seem wasted. Personally, I understand why the picks were made and why they aren't starting or playing significant amounts. Reiff and Broyles were taken based on best talent available and what they can bring to the team from a first contract standpoint, not a first year standpoint.

As much as I like Broyles as a player, I think the pick should have been used on Konz or Marshall. Even Kelechi Osemele would have been a solid pick at that point. I know the Lions were actually targeting Amini Silatolu in the second round, but the Panthers took him 15 picks ahead of us.

We'll just have to have patience and see how things turn out before we claim Mayhew screwed us or saved us.

September 12th, 2012, 4:03 pm
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Really? Like who? What veteran FA WRs have been signed by teams and have done well as slot-type receivers? I don't know of many examples of this. Welker in NE comes to mind. Not many others do. In fact, in looking at the receiving leaders over the past several years, the only guy on the list who is a veteran slot player on a different team than drafted him is Welker. Maybe Nate Washington, but I don't think he's a slot guy.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I just don't think good veteran slot WRs are out there like you're saying they are. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though....

Well, let's be fair here TDJ. Good slot receivers aren't going to be among league leaders from a stats perspective. Good slot receivers help take heat off of the outside receivers and create matchup problems in the right circumstances. And instead of calling them "slot" receivers, we should be calling them third receivers, since in three receiver sets teams like to create mismatches using motion or different personnel lineups or packages to get their better receivers facing safeties, nickel corners or linebackers.

Good free agent receivers aren't as plentiful as some make it sound. But I don't think it's out of the question that the Lions could have signed a FA receiver to be our third guy and have him be somewhat productive.

September 12th, 2012, 4:10 pm

m2karateman wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Well, let's be fair here TDJ. Good slot receivers aren't going to be among league leaders from a stats perspective. Good slot receivers help take heat off of the outside receivers and create matchup problems in the right circumstances. And instead of calling them "slot" receivers, we should be calling them third receivers, since in three receiver sets teams like to create mismatches using motion or different personnel lineups or packages to get their better receivers facing safeties, nickel corners or linebackers.

Good free agent receivers aren't as plentiful as some make it sound. But I don't think it's out of the question that the Lions could have signed a FA receiver to be our third guy and have him be somewhat productive.

Beat me to it, thank you M2K

Early Doucet (ARZ)
Harry Douglas (ATL)
Eric Weems (ATL)
Ruvell Martin (BUF)
Roscoe Parrish (BUF)
Lee Evans (BAL)
Legedu Naanee (CAR)
Roy Williams (CHI)
Andre Caldwell (CIN)
Jerome Simpson (CIN)
Eddie Royal (DEN)
Rashied Davis (DET)
Maurice Stovall (DET)
Braylon Edwards (FA)
Bryant Johnson (HOU)
Pierre Garcon (IND)
Anthony Gonzalez (IND)
Jerheme Urban (KC)
Devin Aromashodu (MIN)
Bernard Berrian (MIN)
Greg Camarillo (MIN)
Deion Branch (NE)
Matt Slater (NE)
Courtney Roby (NO)
Domenik Hixon (NYG)
Devin Thomas (NYG)
Plaxico Burress (NYJ)
TJ Houshmandzadeh (OAK)
Derek Hagan (OAK)
Chaz Schilens (OAK)
Steve Smith (PHI)
Jerricho Cotchery (PIT)
Arnaz Battle (PIT)
Hines Ward (PIT)
Patrick Crayton (SD)
Ted Ginn (SF)
Josh Morgan (SF)
Mark Clayton (STL)
Mike Sims-Walker (STL)
Micheal Spurlock (TB)
Donnie Avery (TEN)
Kevin Curtis (TEN)
David Anderson (WAS)
Donte' Stallworth (WAS)
Randy Moss (FA)
Stephen Williams (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Jordan Norwood (CLE) - Exclusive Rights
Jesse Holley (DAL) - Exclusive Rights
Kevin Ogletree (DAL) - Restricted
Stefan Logan (DET) - Restricted
Matt Willis (DEN) - Restricted
Danny Amendola (STL) - Restricted
Dominique Curry (STL) - Exclusive Rights
Preston Parker (TB) - Exclusive Rights

Is last years list of capable (well some are lol) WR's taht would be decent as a 3rd back. if you want a Nate guy you can add in L. Robinson, Manningham, lloyd (or duckman as i like to call him...has anyone seen that youtube where he ducks the pass to him? hilarious), Meacham...and more

guys are out there...and for a 3rd WR you don't NEED to draft a guy that high. Like I said unless Mayhew is putting in a back up plans for getting rid of a trouble making Titus, or unless Broyles produces big, there wer other high rated guys that probably should have been taken before him. a 2nd rd pick on a third WR is a luxury pick. We're not quite at the strength we need to be to afford those kinds of luxuries.

September 12th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I Just wanted to clarify that I was not stoked at the time of the Broyles pick, and actually agree with the Konz crowd (I was part of said crowd). I wanted to point out why I can see it making some sense what Mayhew was thinking.

September 12th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Come on guys, Broyles is gonna be awesome. And he'll be cheaper than any FA veteran. Needs change quickly. Talent doesn't.

September 12th, 2012, 9:21 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Sleep on Broyles all you want. Hands like Titus and dude gets open. Separation isn't something many receivers can create. He can. Just watch the preseason tape.

September 12th, 2012, 9:35 pm

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Come on guys, Broyles is gonna be awesome. And he'll be cheaper than any FA veteran. Needs change quickly. Talent doesn't.

I hope you're right...but for now he's a high pick on a guy who hasn't played football in a year. I've seen that before, it didn't go well. I know this is different, but it is what it is....

September 12th, 2012, 9:36 pm
League MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I hope you're right...but for now he's a high pick on a guy who hasn't played football in a year. I've seen that before, it didn't go well. I know this is different, but it is what it is....

hasnt played football in a year? are you referring to his 2011 season where he posted 83 catches 1157 yds 10 TDs? yeah, Broyles actually played in 2011 but got injured in November. As for his ACL tear, players with that injury have a strong track record of making it back. Further, Broyles looked like he was coming along nicely in preseason. This is far from a Mike Williams situation.

September 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
League MVP

njroar wrote:
Sleep on Broyles all you want. Hands like Titus and dude gets open. Separation isn't something many receivers can create. He can. Just watch the preseason tape.

agreed

September 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

hasnt played football in a year? are you referring to his 2011 season where he posted 83 catches 1157 yds 10 TDs? yeah, Broyles actually played in 2011 but got injured in November. As for his ACL tear, players with that injury have a strong track record of making it back. Further, Broyles looked like he was coming along nicely in preseason. This is far from a Mike Williams situation.

Yeah, he played last year, that's why there were questions if he'd be ready by mid-season, and he ran a 4.6 40 at his pro day. The team took him along slowly, but he played in the preseason and he was inactive week 1 to give them extra bodies at a different position. He'll be active plenty this year.

September 12th, 2012, 9:53 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Yeah, he played last year, that's why there were questions if he'd be ready by mid-season, and he ran a 4.6 40 at his pro day. The team took him along slowly, but he played in the preseason and he was inactive week 1 to give them extra bodies at a different position. He'll be active plenty this year.

And keep in mind, he ran his 40 yard dash at his pro day just a few months after his injury, and still posted the same time that a perfectly healthy Anquan Boldin ran at his pro day before he was drafted.

As I said, I like Broyles. I just wonder if he would have been available in round three had the Lions passed on him.

September 13th, 2012, 9:17 am

I hope you guys are right. I only ask for one thing from him to change my mind....show me. :arrow:

September 13th, 2012, 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next