View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 12:22 pm



Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions 
Author Message
Pop Warner Rookie
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Posts: 104
Location: Modesto, CA
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
WarEr4Christ wrote:
although the odds are in favor of the niners, I believe our offense and defense has the potential to pull this one out. Defense was stout against the run, our pass defense was decent to a point against a GOOD Qb. A. Smith is a good QB/manager who will dink and dunk for 10 yard or screen throws.

Our offense has the potential for quick strike ability and will try. Our run game and blocking showed much improvement compared to last year against a good DL in the Rams. So we could still do some things there, especially if we Screen pass ourselves.

I think this is too close to call, and almost a wash of two solid teams, one having a slight edge in Db's vs WR's.


If I were you guys I'd screen pass the poop out of us lol... A WR screen to Titus would be effective I think

_________________
“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

Image


September 12th, 2012, 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11845
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
modninerfan wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
although the odds are in favor of the niners, I believe our offense and defense has the potential to pull this one out. Defense was stout against the run, our pass defense was decent to a point against a GOOD Qb. A. Smith is a good QB/manager who will dink and dunk for 10 yard or screen throws.

Our offense has the potential for quick strike ability and will try. Our run game and blocking showed much improvement compared to last year against a good DL in the Rams. So we could still do some things there, especially if we Screen pass ourselves.

I think this is too close to call, and almost a wash of two solid teams, one having a slight edge in Db's vs WR's.


If I were you guys I'd screen pass the poop out of us lol... A WR screen to Titus would be effective I think
If the teammate-fighting, head-butting moron is even on the field :twisted: ](*,)

_________________
Go Lions!!! headbang.gif

Joe Fauria, MVP!


September 12th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Profile
Online
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3634
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
TheRealWags wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
although the odds are in favor of the niners, I believe our offense and defense has the potential to pull this one out. Defense was stout against the run, our pass defense was decent to a point against a GOOD Qb. A. Smith is a good QB/manager who will dink and dunk for 10 yard or screen throws.

Our offense has the potential for quick strike ability and will try. Our run game and blocking showed much improvement compared to last year against a good DL in the Rams. So we could still do some things there, especially if we Screen pass ourselves.

I think this is too close to call, and almost a wash of two solid teams, one having a slight edge in Db's vs WR's.


If I were you guys I'd screen pass the poop out of us lol... A WR screen to Titus would be effective I think
If the teammate-fighting, head-butting moron is even on the field :twisted: ](*,)



the good news is those generally go to Nate anyways so, while not as fast they should still be close to the same effectivness


September 12th, 2012, 5:24 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11845
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
regularjoe12 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
although the odds are in favor of the niners, I believe our offense and defense has the potential to pull this one out. Defense was stout against the run, our pass defense was decent to a point against a GOOD Qb. A. Smith is a good QB/manager who will dink and dunk for 10 yard or screen throws.

Our offense has the potential for quick strike ability and will try. Our run game and blocking showed much improvement compared to last year against a good DL in the Rams. So we could still do some things there, especially if we Screen pass ourselves.

I think this is too close to call, and almost a wash of two solid teams, one having a slight edge in Db's vs WR's.


If I were you guys I'd screen pass the poop out of us lol... A WR screen to Titus would be effective I think
If the teammate-fighting, head-butting moron is even on the field :twisted: ](*,)

the good news is those generally go to Nate anyways so, while not as fast they should still be close to the same effectivness
Could also see Broyles in that role

_________________
Go Lions!!! headbang.gif

Joe Fauria, MVP!


September 12th, 2012, 5:26 pm
Profile
Online
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3634
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
although the odds are in favor of the niners, I believe our offense and defense has the potential to pull this one out. Defense was stout against the run, our pass defense was decent to a point against a GOOD Qb. A. Smith is a good QB/manager who will dink and dunk for 10 yard or screen throws.

Our offense has the potential for quick strike ability and will try. Our run game and blocking showed much improvement compared to last year against a good DL in the Rams. So we could still do some things there, especially if we Screen pass ourselves.

I think this is too close to call, and almost a wash of two solid teams, one having a slight edge in Db's vs WR's.


If I were you guys I'd screen pass the poop out of us lol... A WR screen to Titus would be effective I think
If the teammate-fighting, head-butting moron is even on the field :twisted: ](*,)

the good news is those generally go to Nate anyways so, while not as fast they should still be close to the same effectivness
Could also see Broyles in that role


it would be nice to see what the kids got


September 12th, 2012, 5:34 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 9:00 am
Posts: 289
Location: Vermont
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
On a side note, which Lion is better to have on a fantasy team: Young or Burleson?

_________________
Pablo wrote:
the app worked OK, but it is hard to draft while driving.


September 12th, 2012, 8:55 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3260
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
although the odds are in favor of the niners, I believe our offense and defense has the potential to pull this one out. Defense was stout against the run, our pass defense was decent to a point against a GOOD Qb. A. Smith is a good QB/manager who will dink and dunk for 10 yard or screen throws.

Our offense has the potential for quick strike ability and will try. Our run game and blocking showed much improvement compared to last year against a good DL in the Rams. So we could still do some things there, especially if we Screen pass ourselves.

I think this is too close to call, and almost a wash of two solid teams, one having a slight edge in Db's vs WR's.


If I were you guys I'd screen pass the poop out of us lol... A WR screen to Titus would be effective I think
If the teammate-fighting, head-butting moron is even on the field :twisted: ](*,)

the good news is those generally go to Nate anyways so, while not as fast they should still be close to the same effectivness
Could also see Broyles in that role


Id like to see Broyles too, but also wouldnt mind seeing Stephon Logan too due to his speed.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


September 12th, 2012, 9:02 pm
Profile
Position Coach

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2127
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
49ers wrote:
On a side note, which Lion is better to have on a fantasy team: Young or Burleson?

I have Young(tried them both at different points last season). Nate is OK for about 4-6 points a game but only had like 3 TDs last year. Titus can take the top off a defense at times and personally, I think he has better hands than Nate.

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


September 12th, 2012, 10:58 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1112
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
Good breakdown M2K.

My thoughts on each area:
m2karateman wrote:
Detroit Passing Game vs. San Francisco Pass Defense
In a straight up comparison, the Lions receiving corps wins hands down when going against the 49ers secondary. However, the passing game is also dependent on pass protection. So I still say the Lions passing game will have success against the 49ers, but it won't be a field day. The Lions need to find a way to shut down Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks, along with Justin Smith.
ADVANTAGE: LIONS

Agree. I thought our pass protection looked good against the Rams, so I'm hopeful we'll retain an edge here. Question for me is if it is enough to win us the game, which depends on the rest following ...
m2karateman wrote:
Detroit Running Game vs. San Francisco Front Seven
Detroit did better against St. Louis than I would have guessed. However, the 49ers have among the best front seven in all the NFL. I don't see the Lions having too much success here, especially with LeShoure sitting out his second game of his suspension.
ADVANTAGE: 49ERS

Key here for me is almost entirely our passing game. We have to get a big enough edge in the passing game over the 49ers that they have to concentrate on it, so that the times we call a run we get a good gain out of it. I thought that was the key to our run game success vs the Rams and it will be even more so against the quality front 7 the 49ers put out.

m2karateman wrote:
San Francisco Passing Game vs. Detroit Pass Defense
This is one matchup where the 49ers improved much more in the off-season than Detroits secondary did. Adding Mario Manningham and Randy Moss would have been enough. But the 'niners also added AJ Jenkins with their first pick in the draft as well. Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker remain solid receiving threats as well. It's really no contest in receivers against secondary. However, Detroits pass rush was pretty fierce against St. Louis, and with everyone up front healthy they can bring the heat as well as any team in the NFL using just four men.
ADVANTAGE: 49ERS

Again, I agree. It's all down to the pressure we bring IMO. If we aren't getting to Smith quickly, whilst he's not the greatest QB he's good enough to pick apart our makeshift secondary given the weapons he has. Our front 4 rotation has to bring it big time this game.

m2karateman wrote:
San Francisco Running Game vs. Detroit Front Seven
This is going to be an interesting battle. Frank Gore is a good back, but it's his line that really should be getting more credit. San Francisco does a good job of putting Gore in spots where he won't face multiple tacklers coming at him. The Lions linebackers will have to play well to shut him down.
ADVANTAGE: 49ERS

Pre-Rams game I'd have given this as a massive advantage to the 49ers. Shutting down Jackson as we did is no mean feat, though, and it looks like our line may have learned from last season and begun to cut out the errors that took them out of the run game at times, with our LBs also stepping up. That has to continue for us to have a shot this game, as the 49ers run game is very impressive and if we have to give help to the front 7 their passing game will take us apart.

m2karateman wrote:
Detroit Special Teams vs. San Francisco Special Teams
The game actually could be won or lost here. David Akers just tied the NFL record with a 63 yard FG against Green Bay. Jason Hanson is the best ever from 50+ yards all time. I'd say that's a push. Andy Lee is considered by some to be the best punter in football, so the 'niners have an advantage there. But Stefan Logan had a really good day returning the ball against St. Louis. However, the 49ers play better special teams than the Rams. Detroits coverage units have been suspect for years, particulary against teams with deep rosters.
ADVANTAGE: 49ERS

I've seen too many years of awful Lions special teams to be convinced by 1 game against the Rams that we've started to turn that around. We'll see. If the Lions win, I can only see it being in a very close game. One busted return giving up a score and I think our chances of the win go out of the window.


Overall, I think we have to be incredible at our strengths - our pass game has to open up the run game for us; our line have to protect our DBs in pass coverage and allow our LBs to contain the run game. At our weaknesses, we need to not make big errors - our DBs and ST can't give up quick strike TDs, our run game has to take advantage of any backed off looks from the 49ers to defend a succesful pass.


I think there's a chance we do that and take the surprise W, but overall I think that chance isn't huge. So I'm predicting a 31- 17 49ers win.


September 13th, 2012, 5:02 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
- The Lions wont lose just because of where the game is played. They beat Oakland last year and were just at Oakland again two weeks ago in the preseason. The travel shouldnt set them back too much. The Lions were 5-3 on the road last year.

- The most encouraging part of the Lions wk 1 game was how well the Lions offensive line played but no doubt they will have a tougher assignment this week against a more talented and aggressive 3-4 front.

- SF will largely be ignoring our run and getting ready for our pass heavy attack. Linehan will have to pick his spots with the run game to keep them honest. Green Bay's O coordinator got away from the run completely last week vs SF and that was a mistake. Smith will have to make plays in the pass game. I think we ll see Logan in the backfield this week as well as the reverse/end around game utilized.

- St Louis was able to take away our back shoulder passes and seemed to anticipate where Stafford was going with the ball. Stafford will have less time to throw vs SF yet will have to make better decisions. The good thing is that the SF corners of Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver arent as a group better than the Finnegan/Jenkins/Fletcher of the Rams. The safeties though are very good though they struggled some last week. The TEs will have to attract the Safety's attention to open up space for Calvin. Pettigrew short and Scheffler vertical into the seam.

- Getting the SF linebackers off the field in exchange for corners. Packers tried this but couldnt do enough to win.

- The 49ers OL has just one weakness at RT but cover that up with an unbalanced looks on the line and using up to 4 TEs. They can power over you or confuse the interior line with trap plays. They easily sealed the edge vs the Pack. The Lions played great against the run but SF is just better and has more ways to run at you. It will be very difficult for the Lions to stop the run and force Smith to use his arm. They could also do this by jumping ahead early in the game which I believe is the only way we win this one. I expect the Lions front four to stay home and play a little less aggressive then normal so that the LBs can roam a little more freely. If Durant, Levy, and Tulloch play as well as they did a week ago we might be able to limit the gashing we got from Frank Gore last year.

Prediction: SF 27 Lions 24. In an evenly matched game otherwise, SF plays a cleaner game with better special teams and less penalties.


September 13th, 2012, 9:04 am
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 641
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
Considering Houston plays...

1st quarter, Score is 0-0
2nd quarter, Score is 3-0 Lions going into the half
3rd quarter, 49ers answer back with a FG, but shortly after the Lions score another one of their own, 6-3.
4th quarter, Stafford escapes pressure and finds Calvin in a 1 on 1, bombs it and it's caught inside the SF 20. A few Titus Young catches later, an unexpected KS draw play gets us in for 7. 49ers score with under 2 minutes left, don't recover the onside kick, and the Lions win 13-10, and make a statement that the defense is legit.

Gore is held to 60 yards rushing, 49ers as a whole rush for 105 yards.
Alex Smith throws a pick on our side of the field.
Staff is sacked 3 times, but not once in the 2nd half.

_________________
Image


September 13th, 2012, 3:14 pm
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
It's a low scoring game and of course I want the Lions to win this but man it's way to close to call what the final score will be.

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


September 13th, 2012, 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Rookie
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Posts: 104
Location: Modesto, CA
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
Shotty wrote:
Considering Houston plays...

1st quarter, Score is 0-0
2nd quarter, Score is 3-0 Lions going into the half
3rd quarter, 49ers answer back with a FG, but shortly after the Lions score another one of their own, 6-3.
4th quarter, Stafford escapes pressure and finds Calvin in a 1 on 1, bombs it and it's caught inside the SF 20. A few Titus Young catches later, an unexpected KS draw play gets us in for 7. 49ers score with under 2 minutes left, don't recover the onside kick, and the Lions win 13-10, and make a statement that the defense is legit.

Gore is held to 60 yards rushing, 49ers as a whole rush for 105 yards.
Alex Smith throws a pick on our side of the field.
Staff is sacked 3 times, but not once in the 2nd half.



Your crazy, Staff would be sacked more than 3 times if your team is held to only 13 points. between both teams their will be over 30 points scored, I'd bet a name change on that one.

_________________
“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

Image


September 13th, 2012, 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 641
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
modninerfan wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Considering Houston plays...

1st quarter, Score is 0-0
2nd quarter, Score is 3-0 Lions going into the half
3rd quarter, 49ers answer back with a FG, but shortly after the Lions score another one of their own, 6-3.
4th quarter, Stafford escapes pressure and finds Calvin in a 1 on 1, bombs it and it's caught inside the SF 20. A few Titus Young catches later, an unexpected KS draw play gets us in for 7. 49ers score with under 2 minutes left, don't recover the onside kick, and the Lions win 13-10, and make a statement that the defense is legit.

Gore is held to 60 yards rushing, 49ers as a whole rush for 105 yards.
Alex Smith throws a pick on our side of the field.
Staff is sacked 3 times, but not once in the 2nd half.



Your crazy, Staff would be sacked more than 3 times if your team is held to only 13 points. between both teams their will be over 30 points scored, I'd bet a name change on that one.


I'm not crazy. I simply am knowledgeable about how good our defense can be when the whole front 7 is healthy, and the secondary is, too, except for Delmas. Remember last year when San Diego was red hot after blowing out Baltimore, then we held them to 10 points? That was because our defense was clicking all game long. Now, our CBs are even deeper this year and more talented. DeAndre Levy and Justin Durant were on a mission against the Rams. Levy made some admittedly uncharacteristic very good plays and Durant was a tackling machine. Not having Delmas will hurt if the 9ers attempt to go deep here and there, but overall I don't see it having a big effect at all. I'd much rather have a more conservative Eric Coleman start this game and keep Delmas resting until he's 100%.

I see Staff having to throw the ball away and into the dirt a lot to avoid sacks or when no one is open and the heat is coming. I just don't see us giving up many points to the 49ers offense. Once we make some good plays against their run game, they'll start becoming predictable on offense. Manningham is barely a good #2 receiver, Moss is fairly washed up but still pretty productive, and Crabtree is inconsistent. VD will get lots of attention, though, so hopefully we can scheme around that.

Anthony Davis and Alex Boone will have their hands full and AS will eat dirt often which will result in lots of pressured throws by him.

As expected, Aldon/Justin Smith will probably make it rough for Stafford, so hopefully JS sees double teams early and often.

13-10 Lions. Trust me, I won't be surprised if we lose, but I will if it's not a close game.

_________________
Image


September 13th, 2012, 4:47 pm
Profile
Online
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3634
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
gotta go with modniners on this one. the combined score will almost definately hit 50....it did with the Rams and SF is significantly better than them.


September 13th, 2012, 5:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], regularjoe12 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.