View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon? 
Post Re: Do you think S/M/L can build a championship team soon?
m2karateman wrote:
wjb...let me ask you this. Which PLAYER would you have preferred Mayhew select in round two of this past draft?

Well M2, it's kind of a false premise. Had I been GM I would have used our 2nd round draft pick to replace Cliff Avril. I said that multiple times in the Cliff thread. I think there were some very good DEs projected to come out of the 2nd round last year, and I think we would have been fine there.

I'm confident that BEFORE the draft we could have gotten something for Cliff. I know Cliff couldn't work a deal later, but that's only after useable draft picks were off of the table. If we got nothing but a 3rd rounder for him (I think we could have gotten more), IMO we still would have been better off. Like I said, I think we had his replacement on the roster, minus ten million, and I think keeping him was a huge blunder. We had Willie Young, E. Brown, and Lo Jack behind him. People complained that Brown could start on a lot of teams... Really??? Then why keep Avril and pay him $10 million??? People talk out of both sides of their mouth on here all the time. It's like they get possessive and want to keep ALL of their players and fail to realize that doing so simply is NOT possible.

That said, IMO this team would have been better off had we drafted Peter Kontz in the second round. I think he had a real shot at starting for us at OG this year, and I think he addresses a more immediate need in the potential replacement for Dom. That said, I didn't know then about his injury history, but I don't see how that's any different than Broyles. Were I the GM on draft day I would have rather addressed RB or CB and tried to move up from our 2nd round pick and take a chance on David Wilson or Jenoris Jenkins. Given a choice between an injured guy not at a position of need, and a questionable character guy at a position of need, both highly talented, I'd would have opted for Jenkins, hands down.

It's further complicated because, as everyone knows, I think we should have drafted DeCastro in the first round, thus not needing Peter Kontz. At that point maybe LeMichael James would have been the pick, assuming NO ONE wanted to allow me to trade up to get Jenkins. But even that's complicated, because we wouldn't have NEEDED Jenkins if we signed Tracy Porter... but both Porter AND Jenkins would have been one helluva luxury.

That said, lets look at the Broyles pick:

Shotty wrote:
Or maybe, just MAYBE, Mayhew understood that Nate Burleson wouldn't be under contract for too much longer and he wanted to draft the best WR in college football history to fill his shoes. Just a random thought. IMO, out of all the WRs, CBs, safeties, and offensive linemen on the board, he was easily the most talented player.

DJ-B wrote:
Picture this. We have 1 of the Most profilific Passing Attacks in the NFL. It requires Weapons. While we have 2 good young TEs, Linehan likes his receivers. Burleson is still producing but is slowing down. Imagine if Burleson was gone next season, and we didnt have Broyles....

We'd be putting in a FA WR (think Rashied Davis and his ilk) , Someone like Patrick Edwards from this years PS, or a Rookie Pick like Derrick Williams from the next draft because we NEED a 3rd Rec for this Offense to Flow well.

So while it seems weird to Draft someone ahead of time, BEFORE they become a Need.. thats exactly what Mayhew did. He Drafted Talent, and we wont miss a beat even if Burleson is let go/ Someone (other than CJ) gets injured/ Titus continues to act like a dumbass and gets himself Benched or Suspended.

What you guys are doing is making the case that Mayhew should have followed my line of thinking and dumped Nate and went after Mario Manningham. Manningham signed cheap, he's more of a true #2, he's 5ish years younger, he would take more pressure off of CJ, SF WOULDN'T have picked up Manningham, Manningham wouldn't have been over-paid and we would be SAVING $4 million next year had we made the move, and it would have allowed us to put Titus where he belongs, in the slot. Titus would be a deadly slot guy, IMO not so much as a #2. I don't think Titus does well against good #2 CBs, but I think he'd smoke any safety or nickle back in the league.

You guys make case that we drafted Broyles because Nate may be gone next year... Well let me just tell you... If that's the case then we phucked up royally. We just shifted the majority of Nate's salary this year to a pro-rated bonus that effectively doesn't free up any real money if we cut him next year. Literally, if we cut nate next year it saves something like $500k. It WOULD have saved us around $3 million if we cut or traded him last offseason, that's no longer true. We literally drafted Broyles to play #4 for us for two years, BRILLIANT!!!

Now let me run this past you... Does anyone really think that for two years that Junior Hemmingway or Cunningham couldn't have been our #4? Does anyone think that Junior isn't capable of playing the slot or Cunningham isn't capable of being a #2 years down the road? I know I don't... I think both of those things are realistic. So, why did we draft Broyles again?

September 13th, 2012, 4:50 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
wjb...let me ask you this. Which PLAYER would you have preferred Mayhew select in round two of this past draft?

Well M2, it's kind of a false premise. Had I been GM I would have used our 2nd round draft pick to replace Cliff Avril. I said that multiple times in the Cliff thread. I think there were some very good DEs projected to come out of the 2nd round last year, and I think we would have been fine there.

I'm confident that BEFORE the draft we could have gotten something for Cliff. I know Cliff couldn't work a deal later, but that's only after useable draft picks were off of the table. If we got nothing but a 3rd rounder for him (I think we could have gotten more), IMO we still would have been better off. Like I said, I think we had his replacement on the roster, minus ten million, and I think keeping him was a huge blunder. We had Willie Young, E. Brown, and Lo Jack behind him. People complained that Brown could start on a lot of teams... Really??? Then why keep Avril and pay him $10 million??? People talk out of both sides of their mouth on here all the time. It's like they get possessive and want to keep ALL of their players and fail to realize that doing so simply is NOT possible.

That said, IMO this team would have been better off had we drafted Peter Kontz in the second round. I think he had a real shot at starting for us at OG this year, and I think he addresses a more immediate need in the potential replacement for Dom. That said, I didn't know then about his injury history, but I don't see how that's any different than Broyles. Were I the GM on draft day I would have rather addressed RB or CB and tried to move up from our 2nd round pick and take a chance on David Wilson or Jenoris Jenkins.

It's further complicated because, as everyone knows, I think we should have drafted DeCastro in the first round, thus not needing Peter Kontz. At that point maybe LeMichael James would have been the pick, assuming NO ONE wanted to allow me to trade up to get Jenkins.

That said, lets look at the Broyles pick:

Shotty wrote:
Or maybe, just MAYBE, Mayhew understood that Nate Burleson wouldn't be under contract for too much longer and he wanted to draft the best WR in college football history to fill his shoes. Just a random thought. IMO, out of all the WRs, CBs, safeties, and offensive linemen on the board, he was easily the most talented player.

DJ-B wrote:
Picture this. We have 1 of the Most profilific Passing Attacks in the NFL. It requires Weapons. While we have 2 good young TEs, Linehan likes his receivers. Burleson is still producing but is slowing down. Imagine if Burleson was gone next season, and we didnt have Broyles....

We'd be putting in a FA WR (think Rashied Davis and his ilk) , Someone like Patrick Edwards from this years PS, or a Rookie Pick like Derrick Williams from the next draft because we NEED a 3rd Rec for this Offense to Flow well.

So while it seems weird to Draft someone ahead of time, BEFORE they become a Need.. thats exactly what Mayhew did. He Drafted Talent, and we wont miss a beat even if Burleson is let go/ Someone (other than CJ) gets injured/ Titus continues to act like a dumbass and gets himself Benched or Suspended.

What you guys are doing is making the case why I said we should have dumped Nate and went after Mario Manningham. Manningham signed cheap, he's more of a true #2, he would take more pressure off of CJ, SF WOULDN'T have picked up Manningham, Manningham wouldn't have been over-paid and we would be SAVING $4 million next year had we made the move, and it would have allowed us to put Titus where he belongs, in the slot. Titus would be a deadly slot guy, IMO not so much as a #2. I don't think Titus does well against good #2 CBs, but I think he'd smoke any safety or nickle back in the league.

You guys make case that we drafted Broyles because Nate may be gone next year... Well let me just tell you... If that's the case then we phucked up royally. We just shifted the majority of Nate's salary this year to a pro-rated bonus that effectively doesn't free up any real money if we cut him next year. Literally, if we cut nate next year it saves something like $500k. It WOULD have saved us around $3 million if we cut or traded him last offseason, that's no longer true. We literally drafted Broyles to play #4 for us for two years, BRILLIANT!!!

Now let me run this past you... Does anyone really think that for two years that Junior Hemmingway or Cunningham couldn't have been our #4? Does anyone think that Junior isn't capable of playing the slot or Cunningham isn't capable of being a #2 years down the road? I know I don't... I think both of those things are realistic. So, why did we draft Broyles again?

1. It saved money. Manningham signed a 2 year/$7,380,000 contract.
2. http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d ... d-TD-catch
3. You don't need to be a tall WR to be a good #1 or #2. A la Steve Smith and Brandon Lloyd. Route running and ability to beat press are big factors in being a good WR. Broyles was one of the best WRs in NCAA history, and he wasn't running anything but VERY sharp routes to accomplish that feat. Look at Maurice Stovall. He's 6'5. Why isn't he toasting #2 cornerbacks? This was a very good pick. It'll pay off big time in 1-2 years.

September 13th, 2012, 5:03 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

the way i understand it WJB, cutting Nate would have still left us with a cap hit of over 3 mill. cutting him this year would not have saved us much....unless im missing something.

September 13th, 2012, 5:15 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
the way i understand it WJB, cutting Nate would have still left us with a cap hit of over 3 mill. cutting him this year would not have saved us much....unless im missing something.

NO!

Nate Burleson signed a 5 yr $26,000,000 deal. His initial signing bonus was $3,500,000, and his salary broke down like this:

2010 3,125,000
2011 2,875,00
2012 4,00,000
2013 4,500,000
2014 5,500,000

He was initially slated to make four million dollars this year, but his signing bonus was only for $3.5 million. That is, his signing bonus was prorated over the 5 years at a little less than a million per year. With three years left it would have cost us approximately $2.8 million to release him, and it would have saved his entire 2012 salary of $4 million dollars. That's a savings of $1.2 million THIS YEAR, and it would have saved the ENTIRE $4.5 million next year.

Instead of paying Nate a base salary of $4 million this year, Mayhew kicked the can down the road, turned almost all of his salary into a signing bonus, pro rated that $3.175 MILLION dollars over the next three years, and ADDED it to his prior signing bonus so it would now cost us $4 million to cut him next year. Get it?

We COULD have cut him and saved a ton of money, instead we restructured his contract and more or less guaranteed that he'll be a Lion next year too. We could have saved $5.7 of the $7 million dollar deal that Manningham signed by cutting Nate last offseason.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on September 13th, 2012, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 13th, 2012, 5:36 pm

ok i got ya..so my thinkng comes in AFTER the reworking of Nates contract...gotcha and thank you

September 13th, 2012, 5:44 pm
League MVP

Quote:
Nate Burleson signed a 5 yr $26,000,000 deal. His initial signing bonus was $3,500,000, and his salary broke down like this:

2010 3,125,000
2011 2,875,00
2012 4,00,000
2013 4,500,000
2014 5,500,000

fuzzy math, left 2.5 million off the contract. nice try though

p.s. is manningham even better than burleson? im not convinced

Last edited by The Legend on September 13th, 2012, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 13th, 2012, 8:41 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

NO!

2010 3,125,000
2011 2,875,00
2012 4,00,000
2013 4,500,000
2014 5,500,000

He was initially slated to make four million dollars this year, but his signing bonus was only for $3.5 million. That is, his signing bonus was prorated over the 5 years at a little less than a million per year. With three years left it would have cost us approximately $2.8 million to release him, and it would have saved his entire 2012 salary of $4 million dollars. That's a savings of $1.2 million THIS YEAR, and it would have saved the ENTIRE $4.5 million next year.

Instead of paying Nate a base salary of $4 million this year, Mayhew kicked the can down the road, turned almost all of his salary into a signing bonus, pro rated that $3.175 MILLION dollars over the next three years, and ADDED it to his prior signing bonus so it would now cost us $4 million to cut him next year. Get it?

We COULD have cut him and saved a ton of money, instead we restructured his contract and more or less guaranteed that he'll be a Lion next year too. We could have saved $5.7 of the $7 million dollar deal that Manningham signed by cutting Nate last offseason.

even if ur fuzzy math were correct which it isnt, how could you have nate s dead weight money + manningham's salary be less than burleson's salary. it doesnt save money...

September 13th, 2012, 8:44 pm
Stadium Announcer

I come to this site quite often, I really enjoy reading the articles but I rarely ever post so first off thanks to everybody for the articles and tons of free entertainment...

I think everybody is just writing off mikel leshoure. The dude can play, going into the draft he was by far my favorite back. I was hoping we would get him but I really didnt think it was going to happen. I really believe he can be a 3 down work horse back. If the coaching staff believes this why woud they make a move this offseason? He could be our #1, if best ever plays he is a great weapon (a luxury not a neccessity), and Kevin Smith is a good rb out of the backfield and could be our Kevin Faulk type of role player. For a passing team that seems pretty solid to me. Lets get LeShoure on the field before we condemn our backfield.

As far as our WR core goes I love what we have done. Young to me will develop as a very good #2. Broyles can play and somebody said he can never be a number 1??? If you didnt know we have this guy named Johnson who might be able to fill that role. When we signed Burleson Linehan and Schwartz said they needed more guys like him. The leadership and maturity he brings to the team is invaluable IMO. When Young is ready to step up and mature we can get rid of him but that doesnt look like its going to happen to soon.

I really hope we keep Avril. I like Willy Young and LoJack and think we have a great rotation and Avrils numbers might be a bit inflated because of the talent on the inside but he still makes plays and we are better off with him than anybody else on our team and with KVB aging if they both leave we go from a great rotation to 2 decent DEs and ronnell lewis (an unknown). It may be 10M this season but what else would we spend it on? Bush(Ive already told my view on the backfield), Porter I believe he is overrated, SB hero but not a great #1. He and Houston would have been formidable but without Avril the line is much less potent... I thnk he had 11 sacks 5-6 FF a pick and 2tds(right place right time) but he is the best end we have at getting to the qb and forcing turnovers. For those who want to trade him we wont likely get to much and if he leaves we could get compensatory pick maybe as high as the third round im not to sure. However we would get a pickand get his services this year.

Draft goals/definition... IMO your picks should develop in the first few years
1 rounder- your franchise players best players
2 rounder- solid starters
3 rounder- should become starters roleplayers
4-7 rounders- depth, projects, gambles
1-Stafford- Franchise qb
1-Pettigrew- Very solid TE, drops some but the guy has been clutch in the big moment for the most part ala sunday and ala CLE 09
2-Delmas-I really wanted Laurinitus being a big buckeye fan but Delmas is a beast if he can play hopefully doesnt turn into Bob Sanders
3-Levy- Like him or not been a starter and a decent job especially changing positions multiple times
3-Williams-Bad pick
4-SLH- Was a project turned into great rotational player and starter for many teams
6-Brown- Speed back wasnt great best made him expendable
7-murtha- still in league floating around other teams
7-follett-never know was gonna start untill concussions
7-dan gronk-traded for phonz never had a chance with Pettigrew and Scheffler
A-
1-Suh- nuff said
1-Best- I was confused at the time wanted to move up to get Kyle Wilson but Best is explosive had the scry injury and hopefully he can get on the field
3-Spievey-Glad to take a DB especially from Iowa solid fundamental team, hasnt panned out
4-Fox-project tackle TBD this yr
7-Young- solid rotational player best lions 7 rd pick Ive seen
7-Toone- Mr Irrelevent, made the team in Atlanta I believe
B+
1-Fairley- I loved the pick BPA all the way... well see this year, I did post before the draft about if Julio Jones falls we should take him so this was along those lines considered top 5 pick slid into our laps... we did try to move up for Pat Pet
2-Young- loved pick despite needing LB/secondary/oline talent trumps need
2-Leshoure-see above
5-Hogue-well see, not impressive yet
7-Cullbreath-gone
A
1-Reiff-Looks good Ill admit I am not great at "scouting" Oline so Ill trust team
2-Broyles- I love the idea of CJ Young Broyles in the near future
3-Bentley-Already earned PT although not much competition
4-Lewis-TBD
5-Whitehead-TBD
5-Greenwood-TBD
6-Green-TBD
7-Lewis- I loved travis lewis in college and im pretty sure he was injured and thats why he fell to 7th rd but he was a great player in college
No grade yet

No team drafts perfect even the Patriots make some bad picks but ultimately I think it is too early to judge most of these draft classes. 5 6 7 years in we can look back and have a better idea but I am very pleased with the direction of our franchise.

Go Lions

September 14th, 2012, 2:18 am
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

2010 3,125,000
2011 2,875,00
2012 4,00,000
2013 4,500,000
2014 5,500,000

fuzzy math, left 2.5 million off the contract. nice try though

p.s. is manningham even better than burleson? im not convinced

Those are Sporttrac's numbers, with the bonus money that we converted this year rolled back into Nate's salary, as it would have been before the conversion.

I realize the money doesn't add up exactly correct, but that's probably due to roster bonuses and workout bonuses that wouldn't otherwise be due if we cut him. If someone else can get better numbers, so be it, but the best I can figure we would have saved approximately $1.2 million cutting Nate last year (and something funny happened there too, cause last time I checked with Sporttrac, it was more).

September 17th, 2012, 2:38 pm
The Legend wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

NO!

2010 3,125,000
2011 2,875,00
2012 4,00,000
2013 4,500,000
2014 5,500,000

even if ur fuzzy math were correct which it isnt, how could you have nate s dead weight money + manningham's salary be less than burleson's salary. it doesnt save money...

Manningham's initial contract (and Porter's and Bush's) were reported that they signed for approximately $X dollars, and the reports were found to be short after the real contract was released. Still, with Manningham V Nate we'd save $5.7 million if we had cut him, making Manningham, at 25/26 years old $1.3 million more.

Manningham is a better receiver, he's more of a true #2, he can take pressure off of CJ (Nate flat out can't, which is why we drafted Titus), and Manningham moves Titus to the slot, where he belongs.

Now we're stuck with Nate next year too 31/32... He's effectively earning his entire salary next year as a signing bonus. That is, his salary next year is virtually all guaranteed/already paid. He's already a step slow. I can't see how what we did with him and his contract is beneficial to us. Again, IMO, Mayhew screwed up big time.

September 17th, 2012, 2:43 pm
RIP Killer

wjb...you have some good points. I think the reason Mayhew kept guys like Cory Williams, Nate and KVB were because of their locker room presence, not their on field production. However, that said I think instead of giving them bonus money to re-do their deals, I would have offered them a lower deal to stay, or be cut. Some players may have been bothered by that, but business is business. It would have given each guy the chance to show he actually wanted to be here, and would have understood that their pay should equal their contribution. Both KVB and Cory still contribute to the success of the team a bit more than Nate. However, I don't completely fault Nate for that because as I said before, Stafford is developing the troubling habit of ignoring other receivers to look for CJ on nearly every play. There have been times I've seen Nate get separation, but the ball was instead thrown to Calvin.

It's useless to argue this stuff. Nate isn't going any place, and neither is Avril, for this season. But I think the point is made that from a financial standpoint, both decisions are lacking in some capacity.

Nobody is perfect.

September 17th, 2012, 3:13 pm
m2karateman wrote:
wjb...you have some good points. I think the reason Mayhew kept guys like Cory Williams, Nate and KVB were because of their locker room presence, not their on field production. However, that said I think instead of giving them bonus money to re-do their deals, I would have offered them a lower deal to stay, or be cut. Some players may have been bothered by that, but business is business. It would have given each guy the chance to show he actually wanted to be here, and would have understood that their pay should equal their contribution. Both KVB and Cory still contribute to the success of the team a bit more than Nate. However, I don't completely fault Nate for that because as I said before, Stafford is developing the troubling habit of ignoring other receivers to look for CJ on nearly every play. There have been times I've seen Nate get separation, but the ball was instead thrown to Calvin.

It's useless to argue this stuff. Nate isn't going any place, and neither is Avril, for this season. But I think the point is made that from a financial standpoint, both decisions are lacking in some capacity.

Nobody is perfect.

M2 - I'll give you KVB for leadership, 100%. He's "over-paid" for what he puts on the field, but he's not over-paid in terms of what we get out of him. He controls and tempers Suh, he motivates Suh, he pushes Suh, and he does this for the ENTIRE DL. He is their "football father" so to speak, and he's DAMN good at it. For that reason, IMO, though over-paid, he's a bargain and not only can we afford him, but we have to afford him, at least for now. A guy like that you give his whole contract to, UNLESS its literally cash strapping and killing the team somehow.

That said, Corey Williams may be a leader, but he doesn't provide anywhere near the level of leadership that KVB does to that DL or the team. IMO the heirarchy of leadership on the DL goes like this:

KVB
Suh
Corey

And they mentor and lead everyone else.

Corey could have been cut or traded and we could have afforded a guy that NO DOUBT would have been our best CB. I'm not saying Porter is top 10 in the NFL, but he's BETTER THAN ANY CB ON OUR ROSTER, hands down. He's damn good, he's solid, and he can do it all... and guess what??? HE'S A LEADER TOO. Even on Champs team people talk about what Porter does for their squad. Imagine if we had a guy like that on our CB corps? We could take the third best leader from our DL and get what would be our BEST leader in our CB corps, and POSSIBLY our best DB leader (Delmas MAY have a bigger voice right now than an incoming player could have... but it's tough to lead when you're injured all the time.)

That's what maddens me. That we could have taken a #3 DT, picked up a #1 CB, and people failed to see it in the offseason. Mayhew ignores the DB field until the 3rd round, and people think he actually addressed it adequately because of some pre-season garbage, and then they cry and whine once the season starts.

In re: Nate:
Nate is a "leader" in the sense that he says and does the right thing. He doesn't control Titus, he doesn't even really help Titus. If anything the two have an unhealthy competition where Nate sees Titus as the young buck trying to take his job, and Nate even came out and said so... That said, the value of Nate's "leadership" is no where near that of KVB.

KVB should have stayed, but this would have been a better team without Nate B, without Williams, and without Cliff, period.

And real quick...
Do you guys realize how inexperienced Mayhew really is? Do you guys realize that he graduated from Law School in 2000, couldn't pass the bar, and received a gratuitous position as an NFL VP? It seemed more like an affirmative action hire than anything. He's NEVER managed anything, and he's NEVER studied management. I have. I've studied personnel management prior to going to law school. I see mistakes he makes left and right, point them out, people call me crazy, then 3 months to 2 years later they say the same damn thing I said 3 months to two years ago.

The reason I "argue" this stuff is to point out that Mayhew isn't the God that many on here purport him to be "in Mayhew we trust" is the mantra of many on this site. I really don't think Schwartz or Mayhew are the guy to get us there. I personally think Mayhew is closer than Schwartz, but I think Mayhew has a LONG way to go, it's going to be painful, and this current squad is probably going to fall apart before we see a SB due to him making similar mistakes to the mistakes he made last off-season. Maybe he'll turn it around with the next Qb we draft in the first round...

September 17th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Maybe he'll turn it around with the next Qb we draft in the first round...

Man, you are a joke.

September 17th, 2012, 4:04 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I swear this forum needs a full time fact-checker.

http://business.fsu.edu/dean/display_bog_info.cfm?pID=12

Quote:
Now in his seventh season with the Detroit Lions, Martin Mayhew is enjoying his role as senior vice president and assistant general manager. He plays an integral role in coordinating the team's salary cap objectives and player contract negotiations. He also assists Tom Lewand on all team matters pertaining to the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement and League policies and procedures. In addition, Mayhew assists with the team's pro and college scouting and player evaluation.

Mayhew is responsible for all football operations (including team travel, training camp operations, security, medical staff, equipment operations, video department and cafeteria staff and he oversees the Lions' football related legal matters and human resources.

Mayhew originally joined the Lions in February 2001 as one of President and CEO Matt Millen's major additions to the front office staff. He entered the organization in the role of senior director of football administration/staff counsel, but after illustrating his talents and work ethic the past two years, he was promoted on February 3, 2003 to senior vice president of football/legal affairs. His most current promotion came on October 14, 2004, when Millen appointed him senior vice president and assistant general manager.

Prior to joining the Lions, Mayhew was director of football administration for the XFL, where he was instrumental in developing policies and procedures for the start-up pro football league. Mayhew also organized the League's training camps and supervised team officials in planning of practices and other team activities.

Throughout his journey leading up to his current post, Mayhew has kept an eye on the future and has always thought one step ahead, as evidenced by his strategic exposure to several jobs and internships while earning his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center (2000).He is one of only two members of the Lions' front office staff to have earned their law degree; he is also a member of the Florida Bar.

During the 1999 NFL season, while attending law school, Mayhew served a nine-month internship in the Washington Redskins' pro personnel department, which exposed him to the responsibilities of an NFL scouting department. While with the Redskins, he scouted NFL players and late NFL cuts and also assisted in the evaluation of college players for the 2000 NFL Draft. Mayhew also had two separate internship stints with the NFL League office in both the Labor Operations and Legal departments. With the Labor Operations Department, Mayhew worked closely with NFL executives on issues involving NFL player contracts and the salary cap. With the Legal Department, Mayhew assisted in-house labor counsel of the NFL by researching legal issues, digesting cases in preparation for arbitration hearings and drafting legal memoranda related to player injury and non-injury grievances. He also was exposed to corporate law while working for Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, L.L.P. in Washington D.C., one of the primary firms used by the NFL as outside counsel. At Akin Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, he researched legal issues, wrote legal documents and assisted firm associates and partners in preparation for litigation.

Before entering law school, Mayhew played nine years in the NFL as a cornerback for the Buffalo Bills (1988), Washington Redskins (1989-92) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1993-96). He was the Bills' 10th-round selection in the 1988 NFL draft and was a starter on the Redskins' Super Bowl XXVI championship team.

Mayhew entered the league after graduating from Florida State with a bachelor's of science degree in business management. While at FSU, he was a National Merit and Achievement Scholar and earned GTE CoSida Academic All-America honors. He was also a two-sport athlete, lettering on both the Seminoles' football and track teams. Between graduation and the draft, Mayhew was a corporate trainee at First Union National Bank in Charlotte, N.C.

Mayhew has also been extremely involved within the community throughout his professional career. In 1993, while playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Mayhew was given the Chelo Huerta Community Service Award, and the following year, he was a nominee for the True Value Hardware Man of the Year. During the 1995 and 1996 seasons, Mayhew was the United Way Spokesperson for the Bucs. Mayhew is a member of the American Bar Association and the Sports Lawyers Association.

Mayhew and his wife, Sabrina, have a daughter, Sierra, and two sons, Ryan and Justin.

September 17th, 2012, 4:06 pm

mwill2 wrote:
I swear this forum needs a full time fact-checker.

http://business.fsu.edu/dean/display_bog_info.cfm?pID=12

Quote:
Now in his seventh season with the Detroit Lions, Martin Mayhew is enjoying his role as senior vice president and assistant general manager. He plays an integral role in coordinating the team's salary cap objectives and player contract negotiations. He also assists Tom Lewand on all team matters pertaining to the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement and League policies and procedures. In addition, Mayhew assists with the team's pro and college scouting and player evaluation.

Mayhew is responsible for all football operations (including team travel, training camp operations, security, medical staff, equipment operations, video department and cafeteria staff and he oversees the Lions' football related legal matters and human resources.

Mayhew originally joined the Lions in February 2001 as one of President and CEO Matt Millen's major additions to the front office staff. He entered the organization in the role of senior director of football administration/staff counsel, but after illustrating his talents and work ethic the past two years, he was promoted on February 3, 2003 to senior vice president of football/legal affairs. His most current promotion came on October 14, 2004, when Millen appointed him senior vice president and assistant general manager.

Prior to joining the Lions, Mayhew was director of football administration for the XFL, where he was instrumental in developing policies and procedures for the start-up pro football league. Mayhew also organized the League's training camps and supervised team officials in planning of practices and other team activities.

Throughout his journey leading up to his current post, Mayhew has kept an eye on the future and has always thought one step ahead, as evidenced by his strategic exposure to several jobs and internships while earning his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center (2000).He is one of only two members of the Lions' front office staff to have earned their law degree; he is also a member of the Florida Bar.

During the 1999 NFL season, while attending law school, Mayhew served a nine-month internship in the Washington Redskins' pro personnel department, which exposed him to the responsibilities of an NFL scouting department. While with the Redskins, he scouted NFL players and late NFL cuts and also assisted in the evaluation of college players for the 2000 NFL Draft. Mayhew also had two separate internship stints with the NFL League office in both the Labor Operations and Legal departments. With the Labor Operations Department, Mayhew worked closely with NFL executives on issues involving NFL player contracts and the salary cap. With the Legal Department, Mayhew assisted in-house labor counsel of the NFL by researching legal issues, digesting cases in preparation for arbitration hearings and drafting legal memoranda related to player injury and non-injury grievances. He also was exposed to corporate law while working for Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, L.L.P. in Washington D.C., one of the primary firms used by the NFL as outside counsel. At Akin Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, he researched legal issues, wrote legal documents and assisted firm associates and partners in preparation for litigation.

Before entering law school, Mayhew played nine years in the NFL as a cornerback for the Buffalo Bills (1988), Washington Redskins (1989-92) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1993-96). He was the Bills' 10th-round selection in the 1988 NFL draft and was a starter on the Redskins' Super Bowl XXVI championship team.

Mayhew entered the league after graduating from Florida State with a bachelor's of science degree in business management. While at FSU, he was a National Merit and Achievement Scholar and earned GTE CoSida Academic All-America honors. He was also a two-sport athlete, lettering on both the Seminoles' football and track teams. Between graduation and the draft, Mayhew was a corporate trainee at First Union National Bank in Charlotte, N.C.

Mayhew has also been extremely involved within the community throughout his professional career. In 1993, while playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Mayhew was given the Chelo Huerta Community Service Award, and the following year, he was a nominee for the True Value Hardware Man of the Year. During the 1995 and 1996 seasons, Mayhew was the United Way Spokesperson for the Bucs. Mayhew is a member of the American Bar Association and the Sports Lawyers Association.

Mayhew and his wife, Sabrina, have a daughter, Sierra, and two sons, Ryan and Justin.

Holy crap! He's one of the bastards that robbed of us our chance to go to the superbowl in 91!!!! Son of a.......He owes us one....grumble grumble MARK RYPEN??? mother $#*&!@! grumble grumble

September 17th, 2012, 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next