View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 6:07 pm



Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions 
Author Message
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2310
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
That SF win over GB not looking so impressive now, is it?

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 14th, 2012, 8:43 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
More motivation for the Lions???
NFL.com wrote:
San Francisco 49ers nearing NFL turnover record
Associated Press
Published: Sept. 14, 2012 at 06:54 a.m.
Updated: Sept. 14, 2012 at 08:49 a.m.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers have improved in just about every facet of the offense this season. But there is one area where they didn't really need to get much better.

The 49ers are protecting the football better than anybody in the NFL, and their turnover-free play is reaching historic proportions.

San Francisco hasn't committed a turnover in six consecutive regular-season games dating to last season, the second-longest streak in NFL history. The 49ers can match the league record set by the 2010 New England Patriots on Sunday night when they face the Detroit Lions.

Leading the way is quarterback Alex Smith, who hasn't thrown an interception in a franchise-record 185 consecutive regular-season passes. Smith threw just five picks last season -- the fewest in the league for a regular starter -- as San Francisco committed an NFL-low 10 turnovers.

The 49ers have not committed a regular-season turnover since Smith's second-quarter interception against the Baltimore Ravens on Thanksgiving night last year, a game won by Baltimore.

They have not lost a fumble since tight end Vernon Davis fumbled after catching a pass from Smith in the fourth quarter of a Nov. 6 victory at Washington. The 49ers have a streak of 36 consecutive quarters without losing a fumble.

"In the history of the NFL, the strongest correlation to winning and losing is the turnover ratio," Smith said. "The turnover battle is the No. 1."

The 49ers know all about it. They finished 13-3 last season and made their first trip to the playoffs since 2002 after leading the NFL with a plus-28 turnover differential, one of the league's best since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

The previous seven seasons, all of which they finished without a winning record, San Francisco committed 221 turnovers and had a cumulative turnover differential of minus-57.

The 49ers changed that dramatically once Jim Harbaugh and a new coaching staff took over the team last year. San Francisco matched the NFL record for fewest turnovers in a season, also held by the 2010 Patriots.

"Ball security relates to your team being successful, and we're very serious about that," Harbaugh said.

Smith isn't the only one. Three-time Pro Bowl running back Frank Gore, who had two lost fumbles among his 299 touches last season, enters Sunday's game with a career-best string of 226 touches (220 rushes, six receptions) without a lost fumble.

Gore's backup, Kendall Hunter, has never fumbled in his 17 career games.

Harbaugh credits running backs coach Tom Rathman, who played fullback for the 49ers from 1986-1993, with "doing as good a job as any of us have ever seen done," in preparing his unit to protect the football.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... line_stack

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


September 14th, 2012, 10:28 am
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
Spievey intercepted him last season, so if HE can do it, I think we could have a big day ;)


September 14th, 2012, 10:38 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
and a little more......

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


September 14th, 2012, 10:48 am
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1166
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
thelomasbrowns wrote:
That SF win over GB not looking so impressive now, is it?

I've not seen the game, only the result and a bit of write up.

I assumed that it meant the SF result looked more impressive, as it sounded like the GB defense was really impressive against the Bears.

I'm guessing from what you're saying that the GB offense looked really poor, devaluing the SF win?


September 14th, 2012, 11:54 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2310
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
UK Lion wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
That SF win over GB not looking so impressive now, is it?

I've not seen the game, only the result and a bit of write up.

I assumed that it meant the SF result looked more impressive, as it sounded like the GB defense was really impressive against the Bears.

I'm guessing from what you're saying that the GB offense looked really poor, devaluing the SF win?


GB offensive line is terrible. Bears were having a field day early, but they don't have the depth on their D-Line to sustain the attack into the 3rd and 4th quarters. Because GB's line is bad, they're having difficulty getting into a rhythm offensively. You have to give some credit to the Bears D, but it appears this is not the GB offense of last year.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 14th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3824
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
thelomasbrowns wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
That SF win over GB not looking so impressive now, is it?

I've not seen the game, only the result and a bit of write up.

I assumed that it meant the SF result looked more impressive, as it sounded like the GB defense was really impressive against the Bears.

I'm guessing from what you're saying that the GB offense looked really poor, devaluing the SF win?


GB offensive line is terrible. Bears were having a field day early, but they don't have the depth on their D-Line to sustain the attack into the 3rd and 4th quarters. Because GB's line is bad, they're having difficulty getting into a rhythm offensively. You have to give some credit to the Bears D, but it appears this is not the GB offense of last year.



To be honest rodgers looks a little off. he appears t be mearly average this year which is a HUGE step backwards for him.he's throwing high all over the place.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 14th, 2012, 12:49 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 654
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
That SF win over GB not looking so impressive now, is it?

I've not seen the game, only the result and a bit of write up.

I assumed that it meant the SF result looked more impressive, as it sounded like the GB defense was really impressive against the Bears.

I'm guessing from what you're saying that the GB offense looked really poor, devaluing the SF win?


GB offensive line is terrible. Bears were having a field day early, but they don't have the depth on their D-Line to sustain the attack into the 3rd and 4th quarters. Because GB's line is bad, they're having difficulty getting into a rhythm offensively. You have to give some credit to the Bears D, but it appears this is not the GB offense of last year.



To be honest rodgers looks a little off. he appears t be mearly average this year which is a HUGE step backwards for him.he's throwing high all over the place.


IMO it's because of the new offensive coordinator. Yes, McCarthy called a handful of plays each game last year but Philbin knew when to call what to perfectly suit the Packers.

_________________
Image


September 14th, 2012, 3:10 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 9:00 am
Posts: 289
Location: Vermont
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
yostevo wrote:
I think one thing being overlooked is the fact that the Niners just had a big time matchup week one against the Pack. It's really tough to match the same kind of energy, effort and intensity in back to back weeks of a long NFL season.

This isn't a bad thought, but if you look at all the big wins the 49ers had last year, they were followed up by even bigger wins.

-- We beat Philly, then followed that up with a 48-3 whooping of the Bucs.

-- We beat the Lions, then man-handled the Browns 20-10 (score was MUCH farther apart than it sounds, they got a garbage TD late).

-- We beat the Giants, then crushed the cardinals 23-7 (it was 23-0, they too scored a garbage TD).

-- Then we beat the Saints in the playoffs for one of the most emotional victories this franchise has ever been through, and lost in OT to the Super Bowl winning Giants... thanks to 2 crucial turnovers by Kyle Williams (I forgive and love the dude).

All because Harbaugh and his staff keeps this team focused. I had the TV on but not paying attention. One 49er said, after the Packer win, that the win "wasn't a big deal, we're 1-0, like 15 other teams. It's a long season." Last year, that win would have been HUGE for us.... this year it was just another game. I'm not afraid of a letdown.

_________________
Pablo wrote:
the app worked OK, but it is hard to draft while driving.


September 14th, 2012, 7:31 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 9:00 am
Posts: 289
Location: Vermont
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
thelomasbrowns wrote:
That SF win over GB not looking so impressive now, is it?

I still think it is. The Packers looked pathetic against the 49ers, but they looked damn good against the Bears, especially the defense. The Packers were without Greg Jennings, so the passing game suffered some, but it was still efficient enough.

They dominated a confident Bears team, and it was never even close. That's only 4 days removed from their last game. Pretty impressive to me.

_________________
Pablo wrote:
the app worked OK, but it is hard to draft while driving.


September 14th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Watching Football
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
I hate the 49ers with a passion, cocky coach and cocky fans. I hope we crush the 9ers into the ground.

_________________
Lions Fan since King Kong was a Spider Monkey!


September 14th, 2012, 8:34 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 9:00 am
Posts: 289
Location: Vermont
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
I hate the 49ers with a passion, cocky coach and cocky fans. I hope we crush the 9ers into the ground.

ehhh.... I think you're saying "cocky fans", but it's more confident than anything. I think we can beat anyone in the league. That shouldn't be mistaken for "We will beat everyone in the league."

We play a lot of bottom-dwellers this year (Dolphins, Bills, Jets... who are a FLUKE imo) so I think we'll be a top team by the end. Hell, there's even a stretch between The last day of September, and November 22nd, where we play ONE away game. That's freakin sick.

I don't think we'll lose this game. If we did, it would be a reality check for the rest of the year. But I see a BIG win based on the skillset of both teams, coaching on our side, and home field advantage. Don't hate, just an opinion. You have your own and I wouldn't hate you for it, just like last year when I was being blasted for saying the 49ers would win.

_________________
Pablo wrote:
the app worked OK, but it is hard to draft while driving.


September 14th, 2012, 10:34 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 654
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
49ers wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
I hate the 49ers with a passion, cocky coach and cocky fans. I hope we crush the 9ers into the ground.

ehhh.... I think you're saying "cocky fans", but it's more confident than anything. I think we can beat anyone in the league. That shouldn't be mistaken for "We will beat everyone in the league."

We play a lot of bottom-dwellers this year (Dolphins, Bills, Jets... who are a FLUKE imo) so I think we'll be a top team by the end. Hell, there's even a stretch between The last day of September, and November 22nd, where we play ONE away game. That's freakin sick.

I don't think we'll lose this game. If we did, it would be a reality check for the rest of the year. But I see a BIG win based on the skillset of both teams, coaching on our side, and home field advantage. Don't hate, just an opinion. You have your own and I wouldn't hate you for it, just like last year when I was being blasted for saying the 49ers would win.


Wow. Just found out Houston and Delmas would miss the game... this will be a VERY tough game.

_________________
Image


September 14th, 2012, 11:07 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
Shotty wrote:
49ers wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
I hate the 49ers with a passion, cocky coach and cocky fans. I hope we crush the 9ers into the ground.

ehhh.... I think you're saying "cocky fans", but it's more confident than anything. I think we can beat anyone in the league. That shouldn't be mistaken for "We will beat everyone in the league."

We play a lot of bottom-dwellers this year (Dolphins, Bills, Jets... who are a FLUKE imo) so I think we'll be a top team by the end. Hell, there's even a stretch between The last day of September, and November 22nd, where we play ONE away game. That's freakin sick.

I don't think we'll lose this game. If we did, it would be a reality check for the rest of the year. But I see a BIG win based on the skillset of both teams, coaching on our side, and home field advantage. Don't hate, just an opinion. You have your own and I wouldn't hate you for it, just like last year when I was being blasted for saying the 49ers would win.


Wow. Just found out Houston and Delmas would miss the game... this will be a VERY tough game.


They're doubtful, not out. Bentley is out. I wouldn't count on Delmas, but there's still a chance on Houston depending on how he feels the next two days.


September 14th, 2012, 11:22 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Rookie
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Posts: 104
Location: Modesto, CA
Post Re: Lions Vs. 49er's Predictions
If both end up missing the game I would be very concerned if I were you. Your secondary is one of those groups I would describe as a weakness. I was watching NFL network and they were showing replays of all of the missed opportunities Sam Bradford had. Despite what many of you think Alex Smith is much better than that he won't miss those opportunities. This should also help our run game, your team will have to compensate for the pass and this should open up holes for Gore. Now it really is all coming down to your front four. This should be fun!

_________________
“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

Image


September 14th, 2012, 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.