View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ 49ers 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ 49ers
Also to add...

Like we saw last year in the Saint's loss in playoff, not calling holding penalties negates the pass rush. I know I saw a lot (some both ways) but this is where the replacement refs really hurt the most. I'll rewatch tomorrow in all-22 and take a better look.

We beat them in 3rd down conversion %, time of possession was the same. We won't face a team with a defense even close to this the rest of the season unless we face them again in the playoffs. Think about that.

September 17th, 2012, 1:25 am
Pop Warner Rookie

Just got back from the game, my observations...

1. Props to the lions for not giving up on running the ball.. It wasn't exactly successful but it kept us somewhat honest allowing for play actions.

2. It was windy, windy as hell. And it wasn't consistent either, calm one second Blowin 20mph the next.

3. The secondary was the ultimate downfall... The awesome thing about goin to games is seeing the whole field... And the secondary was weak.

4. Because the secondary was so underwhelming, I think it opened the box for our run game.

Overall, I think my team was the more complete, rounded, team on the field. There is no denying the dominant talent in CJ, Staff and Suh, but they need more support. More support in the run game and in the secondary. It's by no means the end of the world, get Delmas and Houston back and I don't see why the lions can't be a serious NFC contender (for those who may suggest they aren't.)

Oh and the referreeing was atrocious, there were a few plays where there shoulda been unnecessary roughness called, or a PI, etc just bad on both sides

“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

September 17th, 2012, 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Rookie

Oh and I'm sure you guys don't care but Avril has made no friends in SF, Anthony Davis is like a big brother picking on his sibling... He antagonizes Avril on and off the field and he has successfully got into the dudes head. Niner fans are well aware of this feud and it was on show today as Avril continuously lost his temper. I dont know how much of it was visible on tv... But now I'm reading how he poked Vernon in the eyes, Vernon doesn't think it was intentional but after watching the game some are starting to wonder.

“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

September 17th, 2012, 3:05 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

If it hasnt been said yet, I'd like to credit Detroits offensive line on their pass blocking. I thought it was great, and thought Cherilus had another solid week.

Niners are the better team, they proved it (even if their fans and coach are tools). Their defense is out of this world. But, if the Lions can go to their place and stay within a TD without 3 of their starting DB's and starting RB, I think this team can do pretty good. Stafford has got to step up though.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 17th, 2012, 6:53 am
QB Coach

I'm going to call it now, you will see the 49er's in the Superbowl this year! I can only say what I heard the announcers saying last night, "this defense just frustrates you." The defense they have, coupled with a run game like Gore and his back up make up for any lack of arm strength that Smith has. For his part, Smith is SMART with the ball and is able to do what needs to be done to move the chains.

As much as I wanted a win, the Lions were frustrated on both sides of the ball, and were definitely overpowered. I'd say we're a half step behind them if I needed to compare teams, and hopefully we'll catch up soon. I am hoping that we made Chicago and Green Bay sweat as I think we played stronger, but we'll see.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 17th, 2012, 7:51 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

my observations:

Our O Line played VERY well.

Our offensive game plan was seriously too predictable. I understand wanting to stick with the run, but how bout a changup and throwing on first down and running on 2nd every now and then. 9 times out of 11 it was run on 1st and pass on 2nd. You dont have to have a 4th grade education to know what we were going to do next.

We NEED a solution/answer for the TE trap run that S.F. was running on us all night. every gash for more than 10 yeards was the same play....Davis blocking someone to the inside behind their own line and gore/hunter gashing us for a long run.

Our D held up suprisingly well. They aren't world beaters but at the very least average..which is better than expected.

Staff looked bad again. He stared down calvin and left Pett WIDE open several times throughout the game. He threw off target regularly, and seem to just WANT to throw it to dowble coeverage. either SF snuck way too many guys on the field or there was 1 on 1 somewhere, and staff never found out where.

We stayed within 8 points of one of the best teams in the NFL in their house. We were competative, played hard, and played the whole 60.

I would have loved a win, but it's hard to be too disapointed by this loss.

EDIT TO ADD: the coaches both seem to be past the whole handshake thing, maybe the rest of the world can move on now too...

September 17th, 2012, 8:32 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I honestly just hope this convinced those who love Avril that he's average. He just got absolutely shut down by one of the worst pass-blocking offensive lineman. And against the Rams got shut down against another average tackle other than 1 or 2 good plays. We need to drop him and get the best damn cornerback or strong safety available in free agency and maybe a runningback; he's done nothing to prove he's worth $10.6+ million a year.

September 17th, 2012, 9:17 am
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
I honestly just hope this convinced those who love Avril that he's average. He just got absolutely shut down by one of the worst pass-blocking offensive lineman. And against the Rams got shut down against another average tackle other than 1 or 2 good plays. We need to drop him and get the best damn cornerback or strong safety available in free agency and maybe a runningback; he's done nothing to prove he's worth $10.6+ million a year.

I am FAR from being an Avril apologist....but the guy missed a pretty big amount of training camp and some pre-season, so I'd say that has something to do with it.

However, it is now becoming somewhat clear that the Lions should have done what they could do to move him and not retain him for what they are paying him.

So.....where are all the Avril lovers now?

September 17th, 2012, 9:21 am

m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:

I am FAR from being an Avril apologist....but the guy missed a pretty big amount of training camp and some pre-season, so I'd say that has something to do with it.

However, it is now becoming somewhat clear that the Lions should have done what they could do to move him and not retain him for what they are paying him.

NOT IT!

I was looking for your post this preason Mike, about Staff staring down and forcing things to Calvin....It's starting to look like you were on to something...thats what he did ALL GAME LONG this week. between that and the guarentee we would run on 1st down it's no wonder the Offense stalled.

September 17th, 2012, 9:23 am

m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:

I remember hearing that he didn't look to have lost a step once he returned to camp. IMO, the one reason it was a good move retaining him was WY wasn't consistent enough to start this year, but Avril has to be gone this offseason. A DE being payed his type of money should be getting in the backfield on their OWN, not solely because a DT is being double teamed on every one of your good plays.

That brings up Jeff Backus. He played atrociously yesterday, and is being payed $7.9 million next season. Why not have RR step in next year after a year of preparing? All this needs to happen soon. We have too many overpayed players (KVB, Burleson, Avril, Backus, Raiola, Corey Williams) who would get us unreal money if released. Once we get some of them situated, the dynasty will really begin.

September 17th, 2012, 9:29 am

Backus didnt play poorly yesterday. He didnt play all pro or anything but he had a pancake or two, there were only two sacks allowed and while the run game went no where, 90% of what they ran was up the gut...it's hard to blaim that on Backus.

September 17th, 2012, 9:37 am

regularjoe12 wrote:
Backus didnt play poorly yesterday. He didnt play all pro or anything but he had a pancake or two, there were only two sacks allowed and while the run game went no where, 90% of what they ran was up the gut...it's hard to blaim that on Backus.

Aldon Smith was repetitively throwing him around and tackling our runningback. He didn't hold up at all.

Just like the Avril situation, If you're being payed near $8 million a year, as a tackle, you should be relatively handling any DE.

September 17th, 2012, 9:42 am

Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Aldon Smith was repetitively throwing him around and tackling our runningback. He didn't hold up at all.

Just like the Avril situation, If you're being payed near $8 million a year, as a tackle, you should be relatively handling any DE.

well, while i agree with you that he's overpaid a tad, dont forget, thats the best run d in the league for 2 years now...and as modniners pointed out last week...that Smith guy....he's pretty good :wink:

Backus is in now way shape of form the reason we lost yesterday.

Last edited by regularjoe12 on September 17th, 2012, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 17th, 2012, 9:50 am
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

well, while i agree with you that he's overpaid a tad, dont forget tahts teh best rund d in the league for 2 years now...and as modniners pointed out last week...that Smith guy....he's pretty good :wink:

Let's also try to remember that, for the most part, the OLine consists of pass-blockers, not so much run-blockers....

September 17th, 2012, 9:57 am

TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

well, while i agree with you that he's overpaid a tad, dont forget tahts teh best rund d in the league for 2 years now...and as modniners pointed out last week...that Smith guy....he's pretty good :wink:

Let's also try to remember that, for the most part, the OLine consists of pass-blockers, not so much run-blockers....

I do remember that, and Riley Reiff was a good run blocker in college, which is why I want him starting so badly. I honestly don't see him not being ready to start by next season, it's just a matter of what happens with Backus. I don't think he'll be replacing Peterman, definitely won't be replacing Sims.

September 17th, 2012, 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next