View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ 49ers 
RIP Killer

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ 49ers
Can't anyone blame stafford for a poor performance? The guy sailed a ball to an open receiver by about 15 yards for a pick. He threw behind receivers (namely scheff who was open in the end zone for a TD and staff threw it a couple yards behind him giving the defender time to react)

Outside of a couple drives in the clutch, staff has looked pretty sad far too often over the first two games. Eerily similar to last year, not starting out well and forcing the ball.

September 17th, 2012, 10:40 am
Butkus Award Winner

conversion02 wrote:
Can't anyone blame stafford for a poor performance? The guy sailed a ball to an open receiver by about 15 yards for a pick. He threw behind receivers (namely scheff who was open in the end zone for a TD and staff threw it a couple yards behind him giving the defender time to react)

Outside of a couple drives in the clutch, staff has looked pretty sad far too often over the first two games. Eerily similar to last year, not starting out well and forcing the ball.

He started last season poorly, too. Against the Cowboys and Vikings, two teams with secondaries far from frightening, he had the same problems he's having now, but after that, aside from the glove games, he stepped up big time. It seems as if it's become hard to pass now. Aaron Rodgers has thrown a pick in both games so far; that's saying something.

September 17th, 2012, 10:45 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Shotty wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Backus didnt play poorly yesterday. He didnt play all pro or anything but he had a pancake or two, there were only two sacks allowed and while the run game went no where, 90% of what they ran was up the gut...it's hard to blaim that on Backus.

Aldon Smith was repetitively throwing him around and tackling our runningback. He didn't hold up at all.

Just like the Avril situation, If you're being payed near $8 million a year, as a tackle, you should be relatively handling any DE.

well, while i agree with you that he's overpaid a tad, dont forget tahts teh best rund d in the league for 2 years now...and as modniners pointed out last week...that Smith guy....he's pretty good :wink:

Backus is in now way shape of form the reason we lost yesterday.
Let's also try to remember that, for the most part, the OLine consists of pass-blockers, not so much run-blockers....

I do remember that, and Riley Reiff was a good run blocker in college, which is why I want him starting so badly. I honestly don't see him not being ready to start by next season, it's just a matter of what happens with Backus. I don't think he'll be replacing Peterman, definitely won't be replacing Sims.

First game next year could see RR at LT and Fox at RT.

September 17th, 2012, 10:46 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

conversion02 wrote:

absolutely...Him and our offensive game plan are the reason we only scored FG all game long.

September 17th, 2012, 10:50 am
Butkus Award Winner

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Shotty wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Backus didnt play poorly yesterday. He didnt play all pro or anything but he had a pancake or two, there were only two sacks allowed and while the run game went no where, 90% of what they ran was up the gut...it's hard to blaim that on Backus.

Aldon Smith was repetitively throwing him around and tackling our runningback. He didn't hold up at all.

Just like the Avril situation, If you're being payed near $8 million a year, as a tackle, you should be relatively handling any DE.

well, while i agree with you that he's overpaid a tad, dont forget tahts teh best rund d in the league for 2 years now...and as modniners pointed out last week...that Smith guy....he's pretty good :wink:

Backus is in now way shape of form the reason we lost yesterday.
Let's also try to remember that, for the most part, the OLine consists of pass-blockers, not so much run-blockers....

I do remember that, and Riley Reiff was a good run blocker in college, which is why I want him starting so badly. I honestly don't see him not being ready to start by next season, it's just a matter of what happens with Backus. I don't think he'll be replacing Peterman, definitely won't be replacing Sims.

First game next year could see RR at LT and Fox at RT.

That would be awesome. Fox has shown that he has good footwork when run-blocking and pass-blocking, but strength in his blocks has been his issue, of course in big part because of his injuries. He might be the most balanced offensive lineman on the team.

September 17th, 2012, 10:53 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I think we can expect a salary cap purge next year. We have some guys who were very important for our transition to a good team but won't be around when we go to the next level (KVB, C. Williams, and Burleson spring to mind).

I think we've also seen a refutation of the notion that a dominating pass rush can cover up all secondary issues. I'm sure Avril will end up having a fine year, but it's simply a matter of better distributing our resources. I'll admit it's not really fair to judge the secondary when 3/4 of our starters are out, but we need at least one superstar back there.

September 17th, 2012, 10:58 am
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Well, I didn't get to watch the game yesterday and wasn't able to DVR it, so I can't really comment too much. However, the stat line on Aldon Smith for the game yesterday would argue with you on how much he was tackling our running back. 4 tackles, one late sack. Against a guy in his second season who last year had 14 sacks, I'd call that a pretty damn good day.

September 17th, 2012, 11:03 am

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think we can expect a salary cap purge next year. We have some guys who were very important for our transition to a good team but won't be around when we go to the next level (KVB, C. Williams, and Burleson spring to mind).

I think we've also seen a refutation of the notion that a dominating pass rush can cover up all secondary issues. I'm sure Avril will end up having a fine year, but it's simply a matter of better distributing our resources. I'll admit it's not really fair to judge the secondary when 3/4 of our starters are out, but we need at least one superstar back there.

Let me know when the bolded part starts happening...im the mean time I'm warming up my "BOOOOO Voice"

September 17th, 2012, 11:09 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

It looked to me like Backus held his own for the most part. That was my initial impression, anyway. I need to watch the game again.

I have no problem with the game plan--it kept the game close for 4 quarters against an opponent that even most Lions fans consider to be superior. I agree, however, that Stafford's shaky starts could be problematic if the trend continues. It's only two games, but we saw some of this last year--the offense starts slow, or makes errors early in the game, then has to mount a comeback in the second half. It would be nice to see them start fast--score first and stay ahead.

No surprises in the result of this particular game but it will be interesting to see how the offense performs in the first half of the next few games.

September 17th, 2012, 11:13 am

mwill2 wrote:
It looked to me like Backus held his own for the most part. That was my initial impression, anyway. I need to watch the game again.

I have no problem with the game plan--it kept the game close for 4 quarters against an opponent that even most Lions fans consider to be superior. I agree, however, that Stafford's shaky starts could be problematic if the trend continues. It's only two games, but we saw some of this last year--the offense starts slow, or makes errors early in the game, then has to mount a comeback in the second half. It would be nice to see them start fast--score first and stay ahead.

No surprises in the result of this particular game but it will be interesting to see how the offense performs in the first half of the next few games.

I still say it was too predictable. I didn't want to see less runs..I just wanted to see them be less obvious. seriously, by theend of the 4th quarter did you have any doubts that we would run on 1st down? any at all? I didn't and neither did S.F. If you switched a good 3-4 of those to passes and run on 2nd down if neccessary i think we have another 10-15 yards to add to then game total of rush yards. in a game this close that coulda been the diffenece in another 1st down when we needed it.

September 17th, 2012, 11:20 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Sunday night wrap-up: 49ers kicking it old school
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 16, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT

The handshake was anti-climactic, a civil exchange that wouldn’t have been worth mentioning without the context.

It was the bludgeoning Jim Harbaugh’s guys gave Jim Schwartz’s on the field that made this one noteworthy.

The 49ers pounded the Lions into submission in prime time, sending a message that they’re still going to win games by being more physical than your side.

The 49ers ran for 148 yards in a 27-19 win over the Lions, with Frank Gore looking like a young man again and pacing the offense.

They also held a potent offense to four Jason Hanson field goals for the meaningful 58 minutes, bullying the Lions at the line of scrimmage.

It’s become fashionable to say it’s a passing league, as if minimizing old ways takes away their effectiveness. But the two most dominant-looking teams of the day were the 49ers and the Texans, who get it done in the old style.

You might not want to watch it every week, but when it’s executed well, it’s still an impressive thing to watch.

Here are five more things we learned on Sunday Night Football:

1. Alex Smith has grown beyond being compared to a Trent Dilfer-style handler, whose only job is to not screw it up.

He makes plays occasionally, and he even bled for good measure. Those third-down conversions late were beautifully designed and beautifully executed.

But the beauty of Smith in this offense isn’t what he does, it’s what they don’t bother asking him to do, and him being OK with that.

He’s got an average arm, but makes up for it by throwing (and not throwing) at the right time.

He’s a prime example of the fit being more important than the talent, and he and Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman fit together perfectly.

They could do different things with a better player, but Smith has also grown to the point where they’re able to work with him.

2. The Lions are missing something on offense.

It’s easy to pin it on suspended running back Mikel Leshoure, who will return next week.

But if not him, it needs to be someone. They need some degree of balance, and the cast of characters they’re using at the moment (Kevin Smith, Joique Bell) aren’t getting it done.

Leshoure would probably suffice. In a perfect world, they could use him in tandem with Jahvid Best, still on the PUP list because of his post-concussion issues. Best’s ability as a pass-catcher out of the backfield would be especially useful on third down, where the Lions struggled so much early.

3. Harbaugh can talk about No. 1 receivers all he wants. It’s his fullbacks and tight ends that make his offense go.

Vernon Davis is a matchup nightmare, and not just for the Lions. I’m not sure (short of a young Dennis Rodman) who is capable of covering this guy.

But Delanie Walker’s role as the move tight end/fullback shouldn’t be overlooked. He doesn’t turn up in box scores often, but he’s excellent at rooting out linebackers.

He had a number of tooth-rattling blocks that made Frank Gore look faster than he really is, and rarely gets mention. Consider this a small step toward catching up.

4. Speaking of which, Randy Moss gets a lot of credit from opposing defensive backs. Why is another question.

He had four catches for 47 yards and a score last week, one for 14 against the Lions.

This isn’t the Moss that can knock the top off a defense, but they sure play him that way when he’s on the field.

5. Matt Stafford is a very good quarterback.

Matt Stafford threw some very bad balls.

His first half pick was quacking before Dashon Goldson got his hands on it, and he threw a few in the dirt as well. He also locks onto Calvin Johnson to the exclusion of other targets.

Maybe it was windy, or maybe the 49ers forced him to look more erratic than he actually is. Either way, he did not leave this one looking good.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ld-school/
PFT wrote:
Harbaugh backs away from “chippy,” but 49ers call Lions “cheap”
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 17, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT

Before last night’s win over the Lions, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh called them a “chippy bunch,” and told his players to keep his head on a swivel for cheap shots.

But while he denied saying that after the game, his players generally concurred.

“I can’t really say that. I don’t recall that,” Harbaugh said of his comments to NBC’s Michelle Tafoya. (Maybe he was just evaluating Tafoya’s question and not really answering it.)

But 49ers left tackle Joe Staley made no bones about his feelings.

“I think it was key for our front offensive line to handle it tonight because they like to be cheap after the play and they think that makes them physical,” Staley said, via Bill Emkow of MLive.com.

Harbaugh went on to say he thought the game was “pretty clean for the most part,” even if other players did not agree.

“I got poked in my eyes,” 49ers tight end Vernon Davis said. “Since I got poked I had to sit down. I do not know if it was intentional by [Lions defensive end Cliff] Avril. I am just not sure.”

Quarterback Alex Smith said he was surprised there wasn’t a penalty on the play that saw him get his red badge of courage across the bridge of his nose from a Lions player’s forearm while he slid.

“I wouldn’t say dazed, just bleeding,” Smith said. “I looked up, saw the flag and thought for sure it was a personal foul call, but all of a sudden we were backed up and it was a holding call. I was pretty stunned we didn’t get that call.”

As stunned as his coach apparently was when somebody quoted him saying something that might cause him discomfort later.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ons-cheap/

September 17th, 2012, 11:24 am
QB Coach

I was calling Matt out all game. He's looked terrible these first two games. He was not accurate at all last night and as Collinsworth kept saying, he was throwing side arm or "3/4 arm" all night. It was a pretty pathetic showing from our offense. There were a ton of times where they showed the replay and another WR was wide open but he forced the ball somewhere else. Titus giving up on that route in the endzone was shameful and I think that's the drive we missed the FG. Yeah I know San Fran has the best defense but there were chances that we just didn't take.

This game changed on a few big play. The running into the kicker was a four point swing. Missing that FG cost us three. That's seven points right there. Giving up three HUGE third down conversions to Crabtree cost us any chance at coming back. Stop him the first or second time and we get the ball back with between 6 and 8 minutes left down only 8. Stop him that last time and we'd get it back down down either 8 or 11 with 3 minutes left. Everyone knew where the ball was going on the third and 7 because nobody covered him. The corner was at the line showing blitz and tried to bail out to cover him in the flat and didn't make it. Even with how poorly we started, I'd have faith in our O with 7 minutes left driving 70 yards for 8 points. We seem to put it together at crunch time.

September 17th, 2012, 11:24 am
Modmin Dude

Hard to disagree with this assessment...
MLive wrote:
Grading the Detroit Lions: Offense and defense leave a lot to be desired in loss
By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Grading the Detroit Lions after their 27-19 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

OFFENSE: D+
The Lions tried way too hard to force the issue, running the ball 26 times against the NFL's best rushing defense. The statistics convey the team's struggles. Detroit averaged 3.3 yards per carry with Matthew Stafford's 11-yard designed draw being the team's longest run of the day.

Stafford finished with decent numbers through the air, completing 19 of 32 passes for 230 yards a touchdown and an interception, but the majority of that came in the fourth quarter. He appeared to struggle with his accuracy throughout the night.

DEFENSE: D+
The defense kept the Lions in the game as the offense labored through the first three quarters, but the unit struggled to slow down Frank Gore. The 49ers running back gained 5.2 yards per carry and had five runs longer than 10 yards.

In coverage, the 49ers attacked safety John Wendling early. In the first quarter, Wendling couldn't hang with tight end Vernon Davis, who scored on a 21-yard pass from quarterback Alex Smith.

There were also far too many missed tackles from the group, including a pair on Davis' second touchdown, the game-clincher with 3:04 left in the contest.

SPECIAL TEAMS: B
There was a lot to like about the special teams performance on Sunday night. Rookie Tahir Whitehead generated a fumble on a kickoff as part of a stellar night from the coverage groups, Jason Hanson made four of his five field goals and punter Ben Graham averaged 44.5 yards on his two punts.

The special teams grade is brought down by one of the game's worst plays. On a 35-yard field goal attempt by 49ers' David Akers in the first quarter, cornerback Drayton Florence ran into the kicker resulting in a 15-yard penalty and a new set of downs for San Francisco. Three plays later the Niners were in the end zone celebrating a four-point swing.

COACHING: D
The Lions came out with a very specific game plan to run the ball consistently and it didn't work. Meanwhile, the 49ers attacked the Lions' weaknesses and Detroit was unable to make the necessary adjustments. If it wasn't for several drops by 49ers' receivers throughout the game, the final score might not have been as close.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ns_san.htm

September 17th, 2012, 11:38 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Way to easy to predict what was going on for Lions, and I know at the start of the game NBC would say Lions fans need to be patient with there gameplay.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

September 17th, 2012, 11:42 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

“They think highly of themselves,” 49ers right tackle Anthony Davis said. “I heard they said they were the best D-line in the league or something. I feel that’s disrespectful to other good defensive lines.”

What an azz hat. I don't ever wish injury or misfortune on anyone but I hope this guy falls into a pit of spikes. He was holding and making cheap shots after almost every play. He needs to shut his mouth.

September 17th, 2012, 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next