View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ 49ers 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ 49ers
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
“They think highly of themselves,” 49ers right tackle Anthony Davis said. “I heard they said they were the best D-line in the league or something. I feel that’s disrespectful to other good defensive lines.”

What an azz hat. I don't ever wish injury or misfortune on anyone but I hope this guy falls into a pit of spikes. He was holding and making cheap shots after almost every play. He needs to shut his mouth.

:crybaby:

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

September 17th, 2012, 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

We heard from the right side, here is what the left said...

ESPN wrote:
Left tackle Joe Staley said the Lions' defensive front is "extremely" overrated and added: "They didn't want any part of us up front. Look at the game. We killed them. Every single pressure they got was cheap. It was on a keep or something like that. They weren't beating us one-on-one. We ran for [148 yards] on the so-called best D-line in all of football."

September 17th, 2012, 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Rookie

Pablo wrote:

ESPN wrote:
Left tackle Joe Staley said the Lions' defensive front is "extremely" overrated and added: "They didn't want any part of us up front. Look at the game. We killed them. Every single pressure they got was cheap. It was on a keep or something like that. They weren't beating us one-on-one. We ran for [148 yards] on the so-called best D-line in all of football."

Staley isnt a poop talker, when he said that I was really surprised. idk if he was just sticking up for Anthony Davis but he definitely didnt hold back.

“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

September 17th, 2012, 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Killwill25 wrote:
so durant does his best impression of bobby carpenter

Levy also did a fair amount of impersonating a windmill on a good amount of missed-tackles. Levy did diagnose some plays well (the two tackles for loss on Gore come to mind), but I really have to wonder if he was "gambling" (which involves absolutely no talent) or if he really "read" the play that way.

Ferris wrote:
49ers wrote:
GG guys. 2-0 is a GREAT feeling. Beating you guys and the Packers is huge. Hopefully you can get some help on defense and match us again in a few months.

Our secondary was really the only glaring hole , and the biggest difference in the game. I really hope not too many here are too bent out of shape, you could have easily blown us out.

And in all honesty if we got the ball back there at the end, I believe Stafford would of found a way to take it to O.T. He always does.

Lions played the best game they could have considering all the missing pieces we had. GG and We will see you all again! Hopefully this year.

I'm glad you realize that SF could have really ran the score up. The reason they didn't try to score more points was 1) good coaching, and 2) discipline. Also, we can be "proud" of that last TD, but I think we got it by design. I think Harbaugh gave it to us while allowing us to shoot ourselves in the foot by eating up WAY too much clock. We had no business sticking to the run game like we did with 12 minutes left being down by two TDs and a two point conversion (and the gimme XP). We beat the ball right into the middle of their DL for 2-3 yard gains MULTIPLE times that drive. It was idiotic. Nearly every called play should have been a pass, with Staff opting out of it if the D was GIVING us a predictable 5 yards on the ground.

Again, we were out coached, and outclassed. But Schwartz is the guy to take us to the promise land? We've lost twice now on the coaching front, but we out talented St. Louis... But still you guys think Schwartz is our HofF coach to do it for us...

Like I said, settling for mediocrity.

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
If all our picks aren't secondary next draft I'm finding a new team.

Tracy Porter would sure look good right about now eigh?... :roll:

njroar wrote:
ZAndrews81 wrote:
Im glad it was close but very disappointed we werent aggressive. I felt like we needed to come out and start slinging it and take some chances. It seemed like run run 3rd n 6 and we werent converting. Thught our running game was very good though for playing san fran.

3rd and 6 is manageable though... the 2 deep plus the swirling wind makes it almost impossible to do anything other than stay with the short game. It was just poor execution when we had the chances. Gotta give credit to the 9ers defense. Our defense held Gore to under 100 for the first time. The secondary wasn't exposed except for Wendling on Davis on the first TD. Lacey was held on quite a bit of plays that went for longer. Last year's secondary would have given up 50+ points.

You have to be kidding me. SF could have done MUCH, MUCH more through the air, but they didn't need to. Crabtree was a man possessed on third downs, Moss could have had a field day, and Manningham played alright. Not to mention, Vernon Davis owned us all day, and could have continued to do so. THAT'S what a real first round TE looks like guys...

Want another great TE performance of yesterday? Look at Brent Celek... WOW!!! THAT'S what I expect out of a good TE. That ball in the 4th Q that was "so well defended by Willis" was a joke. Pett missed the catch! It went right through his hands and bounced off of his chest, but we'll continue to call that a good pick... :roll: What round was Celek picked in? The 5th??? :idea: :arrow:

m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
I honestly just hope this convinced those who love Avril that he's average. He just got absolutely shut down by one of the worst pass-blocking offensive lineman. And against the Rams got shut down against another average tackle other than 1 or 2 good plays. We need to drop him and get the best damn cornerback or strong safety available in free agency and maybe a runningback; he's done nothing to prove he's worth $10.6+ million a year.

I am FAR from being an Avril apologist....but the guy missed a pretty big amount of training camp and some pre-season, so I'd say that has something to do with it.

However, it is now becoming somewhat clear that the Lions should have done what they could do to move him and not retain him for what they are paying him.

So.....where are all the Avril lovers now?

Wait wait wait... Avril only missed camp so he could workout HARDER than he would have had he been here, remember? That's the line of crap these fools were spewing in the Avril thread when they were lining up to blow him. Yup, I was a complete idiot for thinking he would come in and and not be in game shape... :roll:

But, for you guys complaining about his "awareness"... I don't know if he really doesn't have any awareness, but it wouldn't matter if he did. The coaches take it away from him. Literally his job is to blow by everyone and get to the Qb. That's the scheme he's operating under.

Shotty wrote:
I remember hearing that he didn't look to have lost a step once he returned to camp. IMO, the one reason it was a good move retaining him was WY wasn't consistent enough to start this year, but Avril has to be gone this offseason. A DE being payed his type of money should be getting in the backfield on their OWN, not solely because a DT is being double teamed on every one of your good plays.

That brings up Jeff Backus. He played atrociously yesterday, and is being payed $7.9 million next season. Why not have RR step in next year after a year of preparing? All this needs to happen soon. We have too many overpayed players (KVB, Burleson, Avril, Backus, Raiola, Corey Williams) who would get us unreal money if released. Once we get some of them situated, the dynasty will really begin.

What a pile of crap. Even if WY wasn't on the roster Avril shouldn't have been paid $10.6 million dollars. Good teams don't succeed or survive over-paying players. We could have made up for his drop in talent by signing Porter and Bush, and we would have had a better team. Even if WY wasn't on this team we still let go of Brown, whom many say could start on a lot of teams (so why not ours?) and we had LoJack. That's good enough not to give an average, speedy DE almost DOUBLE what he's worth (IMO he's worth about $6.5 per season).

Shotty wrote:
Aldon Smith was repetitively throwing him around and tackling our runningback. He didn't hold up at all.

Just like the Avril situation, If you're being payed near $8 million a year, as a tackle, you should be relatively handling any DE.

Backus has never been a physical LT and he's never been able to run block well. For those reasons I've called for his replacement for about the last 3-4 years. Prior to that I thought he was a solid OT, and it was good to keep him given his salary, experience, and leadership.

That said, Backus isn't getting paid anywhere near $8 million. He knows he's in the decline of his career and he did us a huge character favor, IMO, and he's making about $2.5 million this year.

I think he could have signed for over double what he signed here for somewhere else in our division. There are a ton of teams looking for a reliable, durable LT, and they make up for their lack of run blocking elsewhere. Our problem is we also have a RG that can't run block, and our center can't run block either... Our OL sucks, sorry...

TheRealWags wrote:
Let's also try to remember that, for the most part, the OLine consists of pass-blockers, not so much run-blockers....

You act as if that's a good thing... I see it as a HUGE part of the problem.

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think we can expect a salary cap purge next year. We have some guys who were very important for our transition to a good team but won't be around when we go to the next level (KVB, C. Williams, and Burleson spring to mind).

I think we've also seen a refutation of the notion that a dominating pass rush can cover up all secondary issues. I'm sure Avril will end up having a fine year, but it's simply a matter of better distributing our resources. I'll admit it's not really fair to judge the secondary when 3/4 of our starters are out, but we need at least one superstar back there.

HAHAHAHAHA... So I was just one off-season off, right? It wasn't last season that we should have cut some guys and replaced them, it's next, cause you say so right?

What a complete PHUCKING JOKE!

The bottom line is we would be a BETTER TEAM had we done it LAST OFFSEASON.

Now we can't cut Nate next year due to what we did with his contract THIS YEAR. We COULD have had Manningham THIS year at a reasonable price, dumped Nate, AND saved money (the money savings would have only been this year, it would have cost around $1 mill more next year to have Manningham), but no... everyone jumped on the Nate bandwagon and said we need to keep him because he's a leader... Same with KVB (whom I agree, we need KVB and his leadership), and Corey (whom should have been sent packing too... we SHOULD have sent Corey packing and given SLH a nice raise and contract extension that made him cheap, but well paid, for the next 3-5 years).

But worse than that, we could have had Randy Moss, Plax, or Chad Johnson for next to NOTHING. That said, the smart play would still have been for Manningham. True #2, playing relatively cheap, young, good hands, speedy, can take pressure off of CJ, and it puts Titus where he belongs, in the slot.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on September 17th, 2012, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 17th, 2012, 2:24 pm
Pablo wrote:

ESPN wrote:

Can anyone disagree? I can't.

September 17th, 2012, 2:25 pm
National Champion

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

ESPN wrote:

I can say he was a total douche bag about it. I can definatly say that.

September 17th, 2012, 2:39 pm
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

ESPN wrote:

But a correct douchebag... We're the ones touting how great of a DL we have. I don't fault the guy at all for saying that our egos on our DL were inflated. Avril played like a whiny little b*tch. I think they deserve some egg on their face.

September 17th, 2012, 2:44 pm
National Champion

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

ESPN wrote:

But a correct douchebag... We're the ones touting how great of a DL we have. I don't fault the guy at all for saying that our egos on our DL were inflated. Avril played like a whiny little b*tch. I think they deserve some egg on their face.

"Every single pressure they got was cheap" Yeah, not sure that was all correct. Sounds like he just wanted to dismiss a few of those plays. Suh was giving them trouble. He just didn't wanna admitt it.

September 17th, 2012, 2:46 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

ESPN wrote:

Avril having a good game would've changed that, but he was a complete non-factor. Hopefully Mayhew realizes that he's not who he was thought to be after 1 good season and a top guy in the secondary is a MUCH better value for up to $10.6 million. I'm positive WY wouldn't miss a beat if he started next season and might even be better than Avril and a top-tier cornerback would mean Houston moves to the #2 and Dwight Bentley in the slot, which would make our defense a unit to be reckoned with. We'd still have a top 10 defensive line, very solid linebackers, and a secondary that can get the job done. If we cut some of these mentioned overpaid players, we will fill every hole in FA.

September 17th, 2012, 2:51 pm
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

ESPN wrote:

Avril having a good game would've changed that, but he was a complete non-factor. Hopefully Mayhew realizes that he's not who he was thought to be after 1 good season and a top guy in the secondary is a MUCH better value for up to $10.6 million. I'm positive WY wouldn't miss a beat if he started next season and might even be better than Avril and a top-tier cornerback would mean Houston moves to the #2 and Dwight Bentley in the slot, which would make our defense a unit to be reckoned with. We'd still have a top 10 defensive line, very solid linebackers, and a secondary that can get the job done. If we cut some of these mentioned overpaid players, we will fill every hole in FA.

Now you know why I'm so pissed about last offseason.

September 17th, 2012, 3:14 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

modninerfan wrote:
Pablo wrote:

ESPN wrote:

Staley isnt a poop talker, when he said that I was really surprised. idk if he was just sticking up for Anthony Davis but he definitely didnt hold back.

we had 3 sacks right?? against a team that ran on almost 60% of their plays? and we DID hold Gore to like 80 yards right? yeah...Shut it Staley...

September 17th, 2012, 3:15 pm
RIP Killer

Hey, maybe KVB is a dirty player too! Idiots

September 17th, 2012, 3:19 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

It was just a matter of time until this thread, like so many others before it, devolved into more self-aggrandizing. "I thought we should have signed ______" or "we shouldn't have offered ______ so much money." Look at any of the top 15 threads or so on this board and many of them eventually come back to folks congratulating themselves for something they posted in April.

Folks, the offseason is over. Move on.

September 17th, 2012, 3:20 pm
RIP Killer

You know....for all the BS Schwartz and the Lions get about being a "dirty" team, it's the 49ers that are the biggest douchebags in the league.

You just won a game....shut up about it and get ready for your next game. Instead, the teams bookend tackles want to talk smack after the fact. To me, that makes them sound like piss poor winners, and I can't wait for this team to get smacked in the mouth. Karma is a be-atch.

So, for all you 49ers fans who call out Schwartz and how he coaches his team....you better look in the mirror. Because right about how your team is looking like a bunch of a$$holes. Congrats on your win. I hope you go winless the rest of the season if these two pricks are an indication of the character of your team.

September 17th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Heisman Winner

Watching the game I noticed one thing that would have completely changed the outcome of the game...

A FULLBACK! How many times did Smith get into a nice hole and have it ruined by just one person (mostly there one safety)

If we had a fullback taking out that safety every damn time we would have a decent running attack. It's just not a priority and i'm fine with that, but why run that many times then? I hate how in big games on national TV and against good teams Linehan waters down the offense and runs the ball and uses predictable pass plays.

It's pretty sad when you can sit on your couch and know what plays they are going to run, so I imagine the 49ers knew too

September 17th, 2012, 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next