View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 9:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ 49ers 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ 49ers
hamma77 wrote:
Watching the game I noticed one thing that would have completely changed the outcome of the game...

A FULLBACK! How many times did Smith get into a nice hole and have it ruined by just one person (mostly there one safety)

If we had a fullback taking out that safety every damn time we would have a decent running attack. It's just not a priority and i'm fine with that, but why run that many times then? I hate how in big games on national TV and against good teams Linehan waters down the offense and runs the ball and uses predictable pass plays.

It's pretty sad when you can sit on your couch and know what plays they are going to run, so I imagine the 49ers knew too

you guys dont have a fullback?

“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

September 17th, 2012, 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Rookie

regularjoe12 wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
Pablo wrote:
We heard from the right side, here is what the left said...

ESPN wrote:
Left tackle Joe Staley said the Lions' defensive front is "extremely" overrated and added: "They didn't want any part of us up front. Look at the game. We killed them. Every single pressure they got was cheap. It was on a keep or something like that. They weren't beating us one-on-one. We ran for [148 yards] on the so-called best D-line in all of football."

Staley isnt a poop talker, when he said that I was really surprised. idk if he was just sticking up for Anthony Davis but he definitely didnt hold back.

we had 3 sacks right?? against a team that ran on almost 60% of their plays? and we DID hold Gore to like 80 yards right? yeah...Shut it Staley...

no, Alex Smith dropped back 35 times, attempted to throw the ball 31 times. Between our RB's and WR's there were only 23 run plays. I think 1 or 2 QB runs were designed that way and I think one or two of the sacks came from those which is why Staley called them cheap sacks. Both teams ran and passed the same that game, our defense was just more stout. I dont remember really sending more than 4 guys after stafford ever... but there were quite a few times 5-6 defenders were sent after smith.

Gore was held to 89 yards on 17 carries, 5.2 YPC. but our team had 148 rushing yards averaging I think 5.5 ypc

edit: I think another telling stat is that Gores longest run was only 17 yards, he was continuously gaining 4-6 yards every time. So even though his personal numbers were low he was having a pretty damn good game.

“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

September 17th, 2012, 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

modninerfan wrote:
hamma77 wrote:
Watching the game I noticed one thing that would have completely changed the outcome of the game...

A FULLBACK! How many times did Smith get into a nice hole and have it ruined by just one person (mostly there one safety)

If we had a fullback taking out that safety every damn time we would have a decent running attack. It's just not a priority and i'm fine with that, but why run that many times then? I hate how in big games on national TV and against good teams Linehan waters down the offense and runs the ball and uses predictable pass plays.

It's pretty sad when you can sit on your couch and know what plays they are going to run, so I imagine the 49ers knew too

Nope. I don't think we've had a true fullback in 2 or 3 years (counting this season).

September 17th, 2012, 3:37 pm
Heisman Winner

modninerfan wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

No and if you watch maybe 3 or 4 times Smith ran, if we had a lead blocking fullback it'd of been atleast a 10 yard gain and probably more because Goldston had no one touch him. It's cute to overload a side of the line and run the other way, but when you don't really have a back that can make people miss lining up power for power is the best option...All the good running football teams do it. There ain't any team in the Nfl that is running consistently out of the shotgun. Leave that 4 college.

September 17th, 2012, 3:45 pm
hamma77 wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

No and if you watch maybe 3 or 4 times Smith ran, if we had a lead blocking fullback it'd of been atleast a 10 yard gain and probably more because Goldston had no one touch him. It's cute to overload a side of the line and run the other way, but when you don't really have a back that can make people miss lining up power for power is the best option...All the good running football teams do it. There ain't any team in the Nfl that is running consistently out of the shotgun. Leave that 4 college.

So we pull a TE off the field and have one less guy to block? I don't get it... We run a lot with two TE sets, if you're going to argue that our coaching sucks, go for it, but I really don't see how a FB is going to block much better than a TE. And teams rush from two TE sets all the time.

September 17th, 2012, 3:50 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

[quote="regularjoe12"]
not quite good enough for the poor sportsmanship being shown by your tacvkles. you show yourself pretty level headed...i doubt you can disagree with that. (and only one of teh sacks was on a design run :wink: )

This got me to thinking about somethign while reading other posts. while those two Tackle knuckleheads are showing a porr sense of sportsmanship......The losing side can show an equal display as well. a lot of us are disapointed with the loss, but we got beat fair and square. no single action of "this guy did this, this guy did that" would have swung the tide of this game. We can all show a little class ourselves by remembering that and cut the finger pointing down to a minimum... a couple of us are starting to tip-toe a fine line...lets show taht we're better than a couple of SF tackles shall we?!

(yeah modniners..that was a "poke" lol)

Last edited by regularjoe12 on September 17th, 2012, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 17th, 2012, 3:52 pm
Wait wait wait... We liked our crap that Schwartz was putting on the field, until it hurt us... We liked our "toughness" so much so that when I argued against it and TOLD everyone what was going to happen I was told "I would rather have that than to take away our teeth!" As if you can't play disciplined and aggressive!?!?!? That was ridiculous...

What Harbaugh and the Niners are is arrogant, but the problem is, arrogance doesn't cost you games, unless you over-look someone, and they don't generally seem unprepared to me.

Call them out all you want, but the fact of the matter is their "personality defect" isn't going to kill them the same way that Schwartz's "personality defect" is hurting our team.

September 17th, 2012, 3:55 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

regularjoe12 wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
Pablo wrote:
We heard from the right side, here is what the left said...

ESPN wrote:
Left tackle Joe Staley said the Lions' defensive front is "extremely" overrated and added: "They didn't want any part of us up front. Look at the game. We killed them. Every single pressure they got was cheap. It was on a keep or something like that. They weren't beating us one-on-one. We ran for [148 yards] on the so-called best D-line in all of football."

Staley isnt a poop talker, when he said that I was really surprised. idk if he was just sticking up for Anthony Davis but he definitely didnt hold back.

we had 3 sacks right?? against a team that ran on almost 60% of their plays? and we DID hold Gore to like 80 yards right? yeah...Shut it Staley...

no, Alex Smith dropped back 35 times, attempted to throw the ball 31 times. Between our RB's and WR's there were only 23 run plays. I think 1 or 2 QB runs were designed that way and I think one or two of the sacks came from those which is why Staley called them cheap sacks. Both teams ran and passed the same that game, our defense was just more stout. I dont remember really sending more than 4 guys after stafford ever... but there were quite a few times 5-6 defenders were sent after smith.

Gore was held to 89 yards on 17 carries, 5.2 YPC. but our team had 148 rushing yards averaging I think 5.5 ypc

edit: I think another telling stat is that Gores longest run was only 17 yards, he was continuously gaining 4-6 yards every time. So even though his personal numbers were low he was having a pretty damn good game.

not quite good enough for the poor sportsmanship being shown by your tacvkles. you show yourself pretty level headed...i doubt you can disagree with that. (and only one of teh sacks was on a design run :wink: )

I'm not arguing with that, I like a good smack talk, but I'm more of a pre-game, in-game guy myself, I'm not one to talk a lot of poop after the game, its not my style. Its not really Staley's style either which is why it shocked me. Anthony Davis' comments didnt surprise me though.

To me, your D-line was working alone out there, No Delmas, no Houston, mediocre LB's (they get into position but get locked up on blocks or miss tackles) It just made it easy.

September 17th, 2012, 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Rookie

wjb21ndtown wrote:
hamma77 wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

So we pull a TE off the field and have one less guy to block? I don't get it... We run a lot with two TE sets, if you're going to argue that our coaching sucks, go for it, but I really don't see how a FB is going to block much better than a TE. And teams rush from two TE sets all the time.

wow... Frank Gore has more lead blocers than he knows what to do with. In our Jumbo formation we'll have Delanie Walker or Crabtree out wide, our 5 base linemen, Miller at FB, Tukuafu (a DE/NT) as the second FB, and Vernon at TE. Or we'll move Vernon out to WR, and add another O-lineman to the lineup at TE.

Adding Miller has done wonders for frank, he had his breakout year then hit mediocrity IMO. Miller was a huge addition to our run game. You guys could dump Heller or Scheffler and add a true FB and you'd notice a difference.

September 17th, 2012, 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

I am going to go back to what I said last week when I displayed my disappointment over our performance against St. Louis, of which several people thought I was over reacting. The 49ers got better from last year to this year, we didn't. We are not a championship team, and won't be until we get a decent secondary and an offensive line that can run block. Our DL? they're good, but not good enough to cover our secondary. Schwartz? When he's got all the tools and can't win, then I start complaining about his coaching. We are looking at a struggle to make the playoffs this year and a first round exit, at best, period. We have climbed out of the cellar, and the organization seems content to sit on the wall of being competitive.

September 17th, 2012, 4:32 pm
modninerfan wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
hamma77 wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

wow... Frank Gore has more lead blocers than he knows what to do with. In our Jumbo formation we'll have Delanie Walker or Crabtree out wide, our 5 base linemen, Miller at FB, Tukuafu (a DE/NT) as the second FB, and Vernon at TE. Or we'll move Vernon out to WR, and add another O-lineman to the lineup at TE.

Adding Miller has done wonders for frank, he had his breakout year then hit mediocrity IMO. Miller was a huge addition to our run game. You guys could dump Heller or Scheffler and add a true FB and you'd notice a difference.

As a SF fan without the benefit of seeing how people post on this site and champion every decision the front office and coaching staff makes, I don't think you understand my point. Our coaching staff has decided that we are a passing team first and foremost. That we leave WRs as WRs on the field to confuse the other team and we "sprinkle" in our runs by surprise, or we two TE set it, where blockers are blockers. We "pass to set up the run," and we have very few plays where we line up to run, show the other team we're going to run, and pound the ball. We're just not built that way.

I really don't think it would make much of a difference if Will Heller or more of a true FB were in our backfield, but again, its a coaching decision, and it's one that everyone on here agreed that would make us "unstoppable" until it doesn't work. Detroit Lions fans look at Calvin, Pett, Titus, and Nate as unstoppable forces whereby a running back is barely needed, if at all, and they are literally confused when we don't put up 40 points.

September 17th, 2012, 4:42 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
hamma77 wrote:
modninerfan wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

As a SF fan without the benefit of seeing how people post on this site and champion every decision the front office and coaching staff makes, I don't think you understand my point. Our coaching staff has decided that we are a passing team first and foremost. That we leave WRs as WRs on the field to confuse the other team and we "sprinkle" in our runs by surprise, or we two TE set it, where blockers are blockers. We "pass to set up the run," and we have very few plays where we line up to run, show the other team we're going to run, and pound the ball. We're just not built that way.

I really don't think it would make much of a difference if Will Heller or more of a true FB were in our backfield, but again, its a coaching decision, and it's one that everyone on here agreed that would make us "unstoppable" until it doesn't work. Detroit Lions fans look at Calvin, Pett, Titus, and Nate as unstoppable forces whereby a running back is barely needed, if at all, and they are literally confused when we don't put up 40 points.

Why get a top RB while the offensive line is consisted of players who can't run block? We're clearly in the process of a O-line overhaul with Jason Fox and Riley Reiff both being candidates to become starters, and both can run and pass block well. This offseason, when I'm sure at least 3 overpaid players will be cut, I'm confident in Mayhew dropping and finding replacements for Backus and Raiola, since they're both ridiculously overpaid and I'm sure there are MUCH better options for much less $$$. As many know, all of these overpaid vets are here for their leadership mainly. Once that's not needed anymore Mayhew will be confident in letting them go.

All I'm saying: Brighten up. We have MANY options for the upcoming offseason to drop some of our terrible run-blocking offensive linemen and pick up better ones who are FAs, and we're giving Ryan Grant some second looks ( http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... yan-grant/ )

Give Mayhew some time. These problems will all be solved soon, likely before next season. Right now, though, we're looking at a team who just went on the road against the best defense in the NFL, and were within 8 points in a game full of stupid calls, a missed field goal, and without 3 of our 4 starting DBs. Lighten up about it all.

September 17th, 2012, 4:51 pm
3rd Round Selection

wjb21ndtown wrote:
What Harbaugh and the Niners are is arrogant, but the problem is, arrogance doesn't cost you games, unless you over-look someone, and they don't generally seem unprepared to me.

Jim Harbaugh is a c*nt.

And I wish he was our coach :lol:

I thought the niners were a bit better than us in pretty much every aspect of the game. And when you add that up, they were a lot better than us overall. And they just executed better. They had fewer drops, missed tackles etc ... they gained yards after the first hit, we rarely did.

I'm not too disappointed. I think the niners are likely the best team in the NFL. I think we have a shot of making the playoffs and, if it clicks at the right time, making a run.

But there was little doubt in my mind the niners were the better team before this game, and no doubt afterwards. I'm not going to cry that we're not the best in the NFL, I just hope the coaches and players move on from this loss, get into the next game a deliver a W.

September 17th, 2012, 4:58 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

UK Lion wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Jim Harbaugh is a c*nt.

I thought the niners were a bit better than us in pretty much every aspect of the game. And when you add that up, they were a lot better than us overall. And they just executed better. They had fewer drops, missed tackles etc ... they gained yards after the first hit, we rarely did.

I'm not too disappointed. I think the niners are likely the best team in the NFL. I think we have a shot of making the playoffs and, if it clicks at the right time, making a run.

But there was little doubt in my mind the niners were the better team before this game, and no doubt afterwards. I'm not going to cry that we're not the best in the NFL, I just hope the coaches and players move on from this loss, get into the next game a deliver a W.

if we take the time to learn what we can from a GOOD loss like this we can only be a better football team.

September 17th, 2012, 5:02 pm
UK Lion wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Jim Harbaugh is a c*nt.

I agree completely.

Bill Billicheck is a complete bunghole, but I sure wish he was our bunghole... He's cocky, arrogant, rude, etc., but he's great at what he does.

I don't see Scwartz the same way. He seems like he was always the kid with sunglasses and the "cool" hair cut being a bully with his mouth and chippy with people he could be chippy toward. I'd take Jeff Fisher in a minute over Schwartz after watching that St. Louis game. Schwartz fails to make adjustments, I don't see a creative bone in his scheme, and I've never, never seen him "out coach" another team. I'm thankful for what he's done here. He has taken us from a horrible team with little hope to being respectable and better than average, but I really don't think he's capable of taking us to the next level. I'm sorry that's so hard for so many on here to read... It's just my opinion.

September 17th, 2012, 5:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next