View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 2:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is Stafford's hand/ arm injured? 
Head Cheerleader

Post Is Stafford's hand/ arm injured?
After watching the game last night. The whole play calling was really off to me. We never ever try to dedicate to the run like that, that's not who we are. It also seemed that a lot of Matt's throws were really off, especially that one interception.

It was like we didn't want to throw it because we knew we couldn't. Last year we were winning the game by throwing it and our defense didn't hold up. Why wouldn't we continue our strategy this year? Especially with our secondary being so banged up. We are lucky the 49ers didn't throw it more.

I really think Staff may have had an undisclosed injury.

September 17th, 2012, 9:17 pm
League MVP

Post Re: Is Stafford's hand/ arm injured?
everything the 49ers did in the pass game was set up by the run. go watch the game again, the vast majority of there passing game was via play action...as for the lions offense the 49ers were challenging them to run by playing w 6 in the box most of the game. they needed a stop on 3rd down late in the game to have a chance to tie it. stop panicking people, its just week 2 and the season is a marathon...

September 17th, 2012, 9:55 pm
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
everything the 49ers did in the pass game was set up by the run. go watch the game again, the vast majority of there passing game was via play action...as for the lions offense the 49ers were challenging them to run by playing w 6 in the box most of the game. they needed a stop on 3rd down late in the game to have a chance to tie it. stop panicking people, its just week 2 and the season is a marathon...

Agree.

Sure, I would have loved to get a W last night. But im also pretty excited about this team because of what they accomplished last night even in a loss. We kept up with arguably the best team in the NFL for 4 whole quarters. Sure we had more downs than ups in the game, but if thats the case, that means the potential for this team is very very good.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 17th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The Legend wrote:

You could also see the win going. Candlestick is one of those stadiums, like the old Giants stadium, that creates gusts that unless you're used to them, can make balls do crazy things. You wonder why the 9ers didn't go deep more often? That's why. They stuck to underneath, but we needed more in the box to stop the run, whereas they dropped more back to clog the passing lanes. They schemed it perfectly for the conditions. Linehan didn't do enough to adjust. You can be damn sure that the rest of the teams on our schedule will use this tape against us. The rest of the teams aren't stacked like San Francisco though. It's a loss we can learn from. If we had lost last week, what can you get out of that tape to improve? nothing. This will help us.

September 17th, 2012, 10:04 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Agree.

Sure, I would have loved to get a W last night. But im also pretty excited about this team because of what they accomplished last night even in a loss. We kept up with arguably the best team in the NFL for 4 whole quarters. Sure we had more downs than ups in the game, but if thats the case, that means the potential for this team is very very good.

I can't stress enough that this was all with a secondary consisted of backups. Hypothetically, put the starters in and it could've been a very different game. I truly hope we play them again this post-season fully healthy.

September 17th, 2012, 10:28 pm
Head Cheerleader

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Agree.

Sure, I would have loved to get a W last night. But im also pretty excited about this team because of what they accomplished last night even in a loss. We kept up with arguably the best team in the NFL for 4 whole quarters. Sure we had more downs than ups in the game, but if thats the case, that means the po intential for this team is very very good.

I'm not panicking about anything? I was just making an observation. You can obviously slice the pie anyway you would like to make suggestions on why we ran it or passed it. I just watched after some of Stafford's throws and had a thought. I'm just confused why we passed it last year and they were playing the same coverage.

September 17th, 2012, 11:42 pm
RIP Killer

BrandonOtt87 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Agree.

Sure, I would have loved to get a W last night. But im also pretty excited about this team because of what they accomplished last night even in a loss. We kept up with arguably the best team in the NFL for 4 whole quarters. Sure we had more downs than ups in the game, but if thats the case, that means the po intential for this team is very very good.

I'm not panicking about anything? I was just making an observation. You can obviously slice the pie anyway you would like to make suggestions on why we ran it or passed it. I just watched after some of Stafford's throws and had a thought. I'm just confused why we passed it last year and they were playing the same coverage.

I have a strong feeling that the reason Detroit was running more than passing was because of the wind conditions. You could see balls sailing on Stafford. It happened on the interception. I also think TY ran the incorrect route on that one as well. People are saying that the Lions were trying to force the run, but I don't think they were forcing anything. I think they were trying to take what the 49ers were giving, and trying to avoid passing, particularly in the middle of the field. It seemed like towards the end zones the wind wasn't as bad, but between the 20s it was unpredictable.

September 18th, 2012, 11:42 am
Modmin Dude

Quote:
Matthew Stafford had no problem with Detroit Lions game plan against San Francisco 49ers
By Philip Zaroo | pzaroo@mlive.com
on September 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM,
updated September 18, 2012 at 9:54 A

One of the single biggest criticisms of the Detroit Lions in their 27-19 loss to the San Francisco 49ers had to do with the game plan.

Monday-morning quarterbacks were incredulous that Detroit offensive coordinator Scott Linehan had forsaken the passing game – the Lions' strength – and challenged San Francisco's run defense – the 49ers' strength.

But the loss had little to do with the game plan, and was more a function of the offense's poor execution.

"I thought it was a great, honestly, game plan," quarterback Matthew Stafford said on WXYT 97.1 Detroit. "We just didn't execute when we got inside the 30. We moved the ball well, pretty much all night. We had a good box – they played two-high (safety coverage) all game. There wasn't a single snap of true, single-high Cover One, so you've got to be able to run the ball against that.

"We were effective in the second half against that. We moved the ball well, but when we got past the 50, we stalled on some drives. That's the difference in a game like that. You make one of those field goals a touchdown, and the game's totally different."

The loudest cries came from those who were upset Stafford didn't target Calvin Johnson more downfield. The wide receiver wound up with eight catches for 94 yards. Running backs Kevin Smith and Joique Bell had 22 rushes for 67 yards.

Yet Stafford doesn't think Detroit was negligent in ignoring its vertical threats. Rather, the Lions missed their window of opportunity.

"Not really," he said. "I mean, we had some chances. I had two down there – one, early in the game to Titus got hung up in the wind a little bit, but then we got the (pass interference) call. Another one, he didn't see me throw it. That play could have been a touchdown, the post I threw that landed in the end zone, and he was kind of looking around like he didn't know I threw it, and I understand that.

When the Lions weren't erring, the 49ers defense was smothering Johnson, as most every defense does when facing Detroit.

"Calvin was getting man underneath, a safety on top and then a safety in the middle of the field," Stafford explained. "So they were really kind of committing three (defenders) to one guy, and playing good man coverage on the rest of the guys. We were trying to find ways to get Calvin the ball – some crossing routes and things like that, and just didn't execute well enough when we needed do."

Detroit made mistakes, like the bizarre pass Stafford threw near the end of the first quarter. The ball floated on him 15 yards past his intended target.

"I was trying to pull it back," he said. "It was a little too late and it kind of squirted out of there."

Time after time, the Lions couldn't capitalize on their drives, and 49ers defense proved it was up to the task of slowing down one of the NFL's most prolific offenses. Ultimately, though, Stafford, who was uncharacteristically inaccurate until the touchdown drive in the fourth quarter, knows he and his teammates are better than they showed on Sunday.

"We couldn't stay on the field on third down when we really needed to down there in crunch time," he said. "And you have to give San Fran credit – it's a good defense. They made some plays, but we can be better, for sure."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... roble.html

September 18th, 2012, 11:54 am
RIP Killer

I get the crazy errant pass - fine. What I'm having problems with is the accuracy on the other throws. He is under/over throwing on short simple throws. Throwing behind WRs/TEs on medium routes. He is just spraying the ball all over the place.

In addition, he is completely locking on his primary receiver each route. Needs to look off once and a while or go through his progressions.

Staff looks like he has regressed for some reason through the first two games and this is my biggest concern of all for the Lions so far.

September 18th, 2012, 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Saw it this year and last year--whenever an interception happens on a pass that was supposed to go to T. Young, Staff goes Cutler on him. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think I've seen Staff doing that to other players on interceptions. No excuses for Staff, but Titus better get his head into the game.

September 18th, 2012, 12:14 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Saw it this year and last year--whenever an interception happens on a pass that was supposed to go to T. Young, Staff goes Cutler on him. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think I've seen Staff doing that to other players on interceptions. No excuses for Staff, but Titus better get his head into the game.

I have a feeling the reason for this is because Titus Young thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. I think Stafford gets on him because the other receivers acknowledge the issues, but Young fights them.

Titus Young doesn't strike me as being well liked by the rest of the team. If he is making mistakes, like it seems he is, then it's up to the coaching staff to lay down the law, pull him out from the game and play someone else in his absence. If he still doesn't "get it", the sit him for more than a game or two, and have him return kicks. Maybe getting his bell rung a time or two doing that will help him see the light.

September 18th, 2012, 12:31 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I have a feeling the reason for this is because Titus Young thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. I think Stafford gets on him because the other receivers acknowledge the issues, but Young fights them.

Titus Young doesn't strike me as being well liked by the rest of the team. If he is making mistakes, like it seems he is, then it's up to the coaching staff to lay down the law, pull him out from the game and play someone else in his absence. If he still doesn't "get it", the sit him for more than a game or two, and have him return kicks. Maybe getting his bell rung a time or two doing that will help him see the light.

I for one never like to see a player on your own team get sh!t toss but man some games I wish someone would destory him.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

September 18th, 2012, 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

I can't remember exactly but I believe it was around the 4th game last year when I started getting concerned with Stafford and him throwing off of his backfoot. I'm one of the bigger fans of Staff but he needs to find a way to overcome his fear to consistantly step up into his throws. When he does he is accurate and the ball get there before the DB even knows what happened. When he throws off that back foot the ball sails and lacks velocity on out routes as well as simple screens bouncing toreceivers. If he doesn't fix it Stafford might become the next Jim "Don't call me Chris" Everett.

A couple of other problems with the passing game is the lack of a consistant running game that forces defenses to respect it opening up plays downfield and allowing for a playaction passing game. The O-line has done a pretty good job keeping Stafford clean but if you watch the games they aren't creating passing lanes leading Stafford to go 3/4 and side arm on throws as well as seeing a lot of passes tipped at the line.

September 19th, 2012, 10:57 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
sweetd20 wrote:
A couple of other problems with the passing game is the lack of a consistant running game that forces defenses to respect it opening up plays downfield and allowing for a playaction passing game. The O-line has done a pretty good job keeping Stafford clean but if you watch the games they aren't creating passing lanes leading Stafford to go 3/4 and side arm on throws as well as seeing a lot of passes tipped at the line.

That comes back to not even having a run game.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

September 19th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Lions2SB2 wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

That comes back to not even having a run game.

Not that this whole last minute comeback thing ever get's old, but if Stafford ever plays the first half like he does in the fourth quarter he'd be nearly unstoppable. Hope he get's it figured out.

October 15th, 2012, 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next