View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Safety 
Heisman Winner

Post Safety
I didn't see a thread abut this, so I will start one. I have liked Delmas during his time here, but I have finished the kool aid and determined that he is most likely never going to be healthy. Given that, the Lions now need 2 safeties. The question is now if there are young guys who can fit the bill in next years draft. If not, where will the Lions find somebody who can play there and positively impact the game?

September 22nd, 2012, 1:10 am
League MVP

Post Re: Safety
1st of all I dont think Delmas is done. He will at least make it back at some point this season. His history of injuries may have an impact on the team s decision to sign him again after the season but really the injuries he s had are not of the kind that are chronic in nature. If the Lions do go out looking for 2 new safeties than they are in trouble. At least one would have to be a veteran but do they really have the cap space to get someone who is much different than an Erik Coleman type - a guy with history of starting with mixed results as well as a history of injuries? Potentially if they were willing to take a DB early again than they might have a chance at finding a starting caliber player in the draft. Ideally they would have one of Delmas or Spievey step up at some point this year and have a chance to develop either a future later round draft pick or one of there current young corners into the safety position. I think Ricardo Silva also has a chance but to me he is probably not good enough in coverage. Any status updates on Chris Greenwood?

September 22nd, 2012, 9:44 am
QB Coach

After he got cut I was thinking about bringing in Jaiquawn Jarrett since he was a second round pick in 2011. He's young and would be inexpensive. However I just now read over his draft profile and see why the Eagles cut him. He got beat out by Kurt Coleman who was a 7th round pick so maybe that gives us hope to find at least one safety late in the draft.

I think next year our first round pick has to be spent on the secondary and most of the draft should be devoted to defense, especially considering all the free agents we have (Delmas, Houston, Levy, Durant, Avril, Jackson). The only offensive pick I'd like to see is a guard or center.

September 22nd, 2012, 11:51 am
League MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
After he got cut I was thinking about bringing in Jaiquawn Jarrett since he was a second round pick in 2011. He's young and would be inexpensive. However I just now read over his draft profile and see why the Eagles cut him. He got beat out by Kurt Coleman who was a 7th round pick so maybe that gives us hope to find at least one safety late in the draft.

I think next year our first round pick has to be spent on the secondary and most of the draft should be devoted to defense, especially considering all the free agents we have (Delmas, Houston, Levy, Durant, Avril, Jackson). The only offensive pick I'd like to see is a guard or center.

We have some starters hitting FA so its possible we may need to draft some defenders high in the draft but technically Mayhew already drafted at those spots this season. What they do in the draft will depend on how some of those players look in there development this season. They could possibly have one of T Lewis, Whitehead, or Hogue do enough that they feel confident starting them next season and then re sign one of Durant or Levy. At corner, Bentley is already a starter so if Green or Greenwood steps up then we may only need a nickle type player and Mayhew might look to find a low priced veteran instead of having an all young secondary. Chris Houston may be back as well, I think they have limited money on special teams and will have to decide who they will pay for 2013 and beyond - Houston or Avril.

September 23rd, 2012, 8:47 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Speaking of Greenwood, I wonder how his rehab's going? I haven't heard a single thing.

September 23rd, 2012, 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]