View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Random Thoughts After Week 3 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Random Thoughts After Week 3
1) Stafford has regressed somewhat. He isn't bad, but he isn't an elite QB yet by any means. Not saying he won't become one -- he's still young -- but he hasn't taken that step yet and it doesn't look like it will happen this season.

2) I was wrong about Hill. Fine backup, if Stafford goes down for a game I'm not worried.

3) What I am worried about is the secondary. It was a known that they would be bad, but they are really, really bad. Rodgers is going to eviscerate them.

4) The defensive line is likewise incredibly disappointing. Let Avril walk, who cares. The Dline might be the most overrated unit in the NFL.

5) Kevin Smith, etc suck. The problem with the running game has been the lack of a decent RB.

6) I'm not writing the playoffs off yet by any means. Anyone who does is a fool. It doesn't seem like there are any dominant teams in the NFL this year, particularly the NFC north -- maybe Atlanta, maybe. The Lion's O is still incredibly powerful. But Stafford needs to get back into gear, if he can't this is a 7/8 win team best case.

September 23rd, 2012, 11:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Random Thoughts After Week 3
7) Brandon Pettigrew was not worthy of a first round pick. He pretty much sucks

8) Raiola is and has been a huge part of the problem the last 10 years

9) Lacey is not a good player. He has made 0 plays

10) why is crossman still with us

11) the fact that Stafford sat out in OT worries me

12) Raiola is a an idiot

13) Leshoure could be huge for us this season. It felt good to see us get tough yards on the ground

September 23rd, 2012, 11:35 pm
League MVP

Blueskies wrote:
1) Stafford has regressed somewhat. He isn't bad, but he isn't an elite QB yet by any means. Not saying he won't become one -- he's still young -- but he hasn't taken that step yet and it doesn't look like it will happen this season.

2) I was wrong about Hill. Fine backup, if Stafford goes down for a game I'm not worried.

3) What I am worried about is the secondary. It was a known that they would be bad, but they are really, really bad. Rodgers is going to eviscerate them.

4) The defensive line is likewise incredibly disappointing. Let Avril walk, who cares. The Dline might be the most overrated unit in the NFL.

5) Kevin Smith, etc suck. The problem with the running game has been the lack of a decent RB.

6) I'm not writing the playoffs off yet by any means. Anyone who does is a fool. It doesn't seem like there are any dominant teams in the NFL this year, particularly the NFC north -- maybe Atlanta, maybe. The Lion's O is still incredibly powerful. But Stafford needs to get back into gear, if he can't this is a 7/8 win team best case.

- That was actually a pretty strong game by Stafford. 2 drops by Pett and a ridiculous emphasis on run game by Linehan in 1st half did the in.

- yes you were wrong about hill

- bentley got screwed on that defensive holding late but the backup safeties are being exposed and jabob lacey is a big dropoff from eric wright. i was okay with bentley most of the game and i thought chris houston had a good game

- the DL is at least underproducing but i wont bury them yet. they seem to be playing less aggressive right now and it seems to be a philosophy change - i think bc they are actually trying to stop the run game rather than let the LBs deal with that. its a necessary move that will hopefully pay off at some point this season as they learn to read and recognize plays better. i disagree with the previous scheme of having all the guys just rush QB regardless of situation and play.

- Kevin Smith didnt play very much but I think he should have. LeShoure looked very legit and thats a promising development but he was overused and doesnt have much ability to make people miss. Smith has better vision but doesnt hit the holes as hard. LeShoure is a head and shoulders above No 1 back for us. He is the kind of runner that may let you sprinkle in Jahvid Best effectively and limit the beating he takes. I was encouraged. What I didnt get was why Joique Bell was in later in the game, my gut feeling is that LeShoure did something stupid on the sideline. Bell did a decent job though except for a dropped pass. Linehan was forcing the issue with the run in the first half when the Lions couldve kept it balanced and scored some points. He wasted a lot of short yardage opportunities in the first half.

- if they lose next week to the vikings it will be a rough climb towards the playoffs. need to have a focused effort or they could be on their way to a 6 or 7 win season

September 24th, 2012, 8:15 am
League MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
7) Brandon Pettigrew was not worthy of a first round pick. He pretty much sucks

8) Raiola is and has been a huge part of the problem the last 10 years

9) Lacey is not a good player. He has made 0 plays

10) why is crossman still with us

11) the fact that Stafford sat out in OT worries me

12) Raiola is a an idiot

13) Leshoure could be huge for us this season. It felt good to see us get tough yards on the ground

pretty much agree w everything you wrote. the ol did have one of its better run blocking games in recent memory though.

September 24th, 2012, 8:17 am
RIP Killer

I'm so glad I didn't see that game. It probably saved me from having to purchase a new TV set.....

September 24th, 2012, 8:29 am
RIP Killer

Pro Football Talk wrote:
Jason Hanson should be a Hall of Famer some day. Hanson, the Lions’ 21-year veteran kicker, is the oldest player in the NFL at age 42, and has played 314 games with the Lions, the most games any player has played with one team in NFL history. But Hanson doesn’t just have longevity on his side, he has one of the most impressive kicking legs the game has ever seen. On Sunday against the Titans he went 4-for-4 on field goals, making kicks from 47, 53, 33 and 26 yards. That 53-yard field goal was the 51st field goal of his career from 50 yards or farther, the most any kicker has made in NFL history. Oh, and when Lions punter Ben Graham went down, Hanson stepped in and punted flawlessly, averaging 39.3 hards a punt and landing one of them inside the 20-yard line. Hanson probably won’t make it to the Hall of Fame because kickers are remembered for big field goals in big games, and the Lions haven’t been in many big games in Hanson’s career. But the Hall of Fame is supposed to be about individual greatness, and there’s been no greater kicker in NFL history than Jason Hanson.

I couldn't agree more. Jason Hanson DESERVES to be in the HOF, no doubt about it. He should have been to a boatload of Pro Bowls, and hasn't been simply because of the team he plays on. So unfair.

September 24th, 2012, 8:47 am

Can I just say how ironic it is that the same people bitching about us not having a run game (I'm speaking generally here) are now bitching about a balanced offense and 100 yard day for our RB? Not saying the gameplan was great or anything, but it's kind of ridiculous.

September 24th, 2012, 8:53 am
Pro Bowl Player

Blaming raiola or the run game is pretty dumb.

On the first, sure Raiola made a mistake, but there was clearly some communications issues and I'm sure it wasn't all on him. He didn't make Locker look a probowler, fumble the ball, give up 2 special teams TDs or drop a pass. These are the things that really cost the Lions the game.

On the second, I think the Lions ran too much in the SF game because it just wasn't working. But against Tenn it worked, and LeShoure played an excellent game.

September 24th, 2012, 10:20 am
RIP Killer

Thoughts, the Lions are right in the middle of the pack with most of the league. They could be 1-2 or 2-1 (and not far from 0-3 or 3-0) with the bounce of a ball. We have won at home, lost on the road.

I was really worried about Staff's accuracy through the first two games, yesterday looked much better at first glance. Liked what I saw in Leshoure, the Lions might have found a RB and may finally be able to run play action pass effectively. The OL has pass blocked pretty well, run blocking needs some work but the group has been above my expectations (less the Dom snap at the end of the game).

Defense looks very inconsistent, whats new. LBs have played above what I thought, the DL below. The DBs are pretty much as expected.

Got some clean up work on ST but Hanson is still the man.

September 24th, 2012, 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

My wife's non football fan observation:
My wife: "Why do the Lions keep trying to run the ball?"
Me: "Well honey, I think they are trying to establish that they're a running team."
My wife: "They should establish that they are a winning team first."
Me "TRUE!"

My observations:

1. Lions - fiercest field goal kicking team in the NFL
2. I want to be a balanced offense with a good running game but can we ease into it instead of trying to force it and lose?
3. Defensive injuries suck, the results are embarrassing. The DL is not getting the penetration it did last year.
4. Pull your head's out of your asses with these penalties, how have we not improved in this area?

September 24th, 2012, 11:10 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Can I just say how ironic it is that the same people bitching about us not having a run game (I'm speaking generally here) are now bitching about a balanced offense and 100 yard day for our RB? Not saying the gameplan was great or anything, but it's kind of ridiculous.

The problem isn't with having a run game, that's a good thing. The problem is settling for field goals every time we end up near the end-zone all through the first half, it is painfully evident in both SF and Ten games, but I guess field goals are a lot better than throwing interceptions. Stafford is getting gameplanned against this season, and he's not yet found a way to beat that. I have hope that it's only a matter of time before he does.

As far as the defense goes, I don't care how good anyone is, no DL can generate pressure if there are receivers running around wide open. The secondary needs a major overhaul, or for now, at-least a sharp tongue-lashing before this defense can get anything done.

September 24th, 2012, 11:15 am

Anybody think we're like the Texans when they had that terrible season because of their secondary? They had Schaub and Andre Johnson, but their DBs were so bad they had a debacle of a season. They hired Wade Phillips, brought in some high-priced secondary help, and now they're considered the class of the AFC.

I've said it before--this season is a refutation of the apparent operating assumption of Schwartz and Mayhew that a strong defensive line can cover up a weak secondary. I'm reminded of this awesome post from TLIW: http://www.thelionsinwinter.com/2010/05 ... ndary.html

September 24th, 2012, 11:31 am

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I've said it before--this season is a refutation of the apparent operating assumption of Schwartz and Mayhew that a strong defensive line can cover up a weak secondary. I'm reminded of this awesome post from TLIW: http://www.thelionsinwinter.com/2010/05 ... ndary.html

I Agree. The Overall Article is very well written ( <3 TLIW ). Especially when you consider the Final Paragraph. Can Anyone Including Schwarts/Gunther really argue agaisnt this point?

"What does this mean for the Lions? Likely the obvious: we’ll see lots more pressure, including lots more sacks, and that will improve the scoring defense—though not by nearly as much as is needed for the Lions to be a consistent winner. Ndamukong Suh and Kyle Vanden Bosch will not make the secondary any less porous, and teams—when they get a pass off—will still torch the Lions for long gains with great regularity."
Note: This was written May 26, 2010

I am soo dissapointed in the Lions right now, and not just from yesterdays game although that is a lot of it.

September 24th, 2012, 3:25 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

Blueskies wrote:
1) Stafford has regressed somewhat.

Woah woah woah....Where from this game can you base that opinion from? Stafford was 33/42 for 278 yard, 1 TD. A few of those incompletions was directly Pettigrews fault. If it wasnt for Pett, we're talking around an 85% completion percentage. After this game, my worries about Stafford have gone way down. HE is not the problem. Our defense is the problem.

Our D-line is overrated. Hate to say it. Staley and Davis are douche bags, but they may be right. We got the names across the D-line, but wheres this pressure were supposed to generate each and every play? If someone sees it, let me know, cuz I sure dont see it.

There isnt a word bad enough to describe our secondary.

LeShoure looked very good. Especially running behind an O-line that isnt that good at run blocking. He was making something out of nothing, which was great to see.

SOMETHING has got to change. If Jake Locker just killed us, I cant imagine what guys like Rodgers, Ryan, Schaub are gonna do against us.

IM not giving up. Its still early. But this team has got to step it up.

Guys that I think need to step up:
Cliff Avril (Thought you were worth more than 3 years $30+ Million huh?)
Titus Young (Step it up mentally) (Be known on the field, positively)
Brandon Pettigrew (Your job is easy...QUIT SUCKING!)

I wont say the Safeties, because theyve reached their ceilings...which isnt very high to begin with.

Our offensive playcalling needs a step up.

Our defensive EVERYTHING needs a step up. LETS CREATE SOME PRESSURE!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 24th, 2012, 3:55 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Stafford finally looks like he found his groove, made some great throws, not his fault when receivers can't catch.

Sure was nice to have a running game.

Pettigrew needs a head-slap for his inconsistent play. Not making the catch's is bad enough, but the takeaway was huge.

Thought the secondary was improved with Houston and Bentley returning, but Lacey showed why Indy cut him loose.

Now for my biggest peev, the d-line has under performed all season. Primarily the DE's. We should have owned Titans weak O-line. Locker had " ALL DAY " to make reads and throws.
Where is our vaunted pass rush?

The penalties continue to kill us. How are you gonna beat anybody when you can't stop beating yourself?

September 25th, 2012, 10:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next