View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 7:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Random Thoughts After Week 3 
League MVP

Post Re: Random Thoughts After Week 3
kdsberman wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
1) Stafford has regressed somewhat.

Woah woah woah....Where from this game can you base that opinion from? Stafford was 33/42 for 278 yard, 1 TD. A few of those incompletions was directly Pettigrews fault. If it wasnt for Pett, we're talking around an 85% completion percentage. After this game, my worries about Stafford have gone way down. HE is not the problem. Our defense is the problem.

Our D-line is overrated. Hate to say it. Staley and Davis are douche bags, but they may be right. We got the names across the D-line, but wheres this pressure were supposed to generate each and every play? If someone sees it, let me know, cuz I sure dont see it.

There isnt a word bad enough to describe our secondary.

LeShoure looked very good. Especially running behind an O-line that isnt that good at run blocking. He was making something out of nothing, which was great to see.

SOMETHING has got to change. If Jake Locker just killed us, I cant imagine what guys like Rodgers, Ryan, Schaub are gonna do against us.

IM not giving up. Its still early. But this team has got to step it up.

Guys that I think need to step up:
Cliff Avril (Thought you were worth more than 3 years $30+ Million huh?)
Titus Young (Step it up mentally) (Be known on the field, positively)
Brandon Pettigrew (Your job is easy...QUIT SUCKING!)

I wont say the Safeties, because theyve reached their ceilings...which isnt very high to begin with.

Our offensive playcalling needs a step up.

Our defensive EVERYTHING needs a step up. LETS CREATE SOME PRESSURE!

i agree w you except about leshoure - the blocking was excellent against a bad run defense team. leshoure looked good but he has to make people miss also. next step is linehan learning how to mix in smith effectively and know how to mix the power run with the pass. he didnt do a good job mixing and matching last week.

September 25th, 2012, 10:28 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Man, it's a real shame Greenwood got hurt.

September 25th, 2012, 10:46 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
7) Brandon Pettigrew was not worthy of a first round pick. He pretty much sucks

8) Raiola is and has been a huge part of the problem the last 10 years

9) Lacey is not a good player. He has made 0 plays

10) why is crossman still with us

11) the fact that Stafford sat out in OT worries me

12) Raiola is a an idiot

13) Leshoure could be huge for us this season. It felt good to see us get tough yards on the ground

pretty much agree w everything you wrote. the ol did have one of its better run blocking games in recent memory though.

Just a thought. Maybe it was the RB that made the difference. Nah, that's just a coincidence.

September 25th, 2012, 10:16 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Yes, I seem to recall a decent running game when best was in there too. Maybe the other RBs have just sucked.

September 25th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Blueskies wrote:
Yes, I seem to recall a decent running game when best was in there too. Maybe the other RBs have just sucked.

Our offensive line does a fine job at the initial point of attack. The first level. What they suck at is getting to or shedding blocks to get to the second level. That means that any RB we have, has to be able to break tackles or force tacklers to miss. Smith was fine in the open field, but he broke 1 tackle in the first two games and gained 1 yard after contact. Leshoure pushed the pile and moved forward, so it doesn't count as yardage after contact, but he was at 1.35. Bell was actually the most productive last week going 1.75.

Smith was in as the 3rd down back for most of the game, but Leshoure was proving effective so they decided to stick with him later. Bell was more productive late, so that's why he saw more time late. Smith still has value out of the backfield, but I think teams can key in that he will be a threat in the passing game more, so it kind of defeats the purpose to bring him in. He'll get his moments. Williams is just a roster spot right now. When Best comes back, I think he'll be the one leaving, and not sure who gets the boot when Florence comes off IR in week 8.

We need to upgrade Dom and Peterman to really see an improvement in the running game. Backus is a liability in the run as well, but he's performing very good in pass protection, so you can't swap him out for Reiff just yet. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens later in the season though.

September 25th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Just a thought for those who are wondering if Stafford has regressed...

Here's what I really believe the NFL figured out about Stafford. Stafford plays his absolute worst against a 2 deep safety zone defense.

3 weeks into the season every team we faced has played it. They throw in some man but the 2 deep safeties are there. It has been forcing Stafford to dink and dunk.

Hence the running game - The Lions are trying to make teams pay for the 2 deep safety look and have yet to do so - Leshoure and Best together might be the cure. But until Stafford figures out how to beat it, it's getting the better of him.

Thoughts?

September 26th, 2012, 12:21 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

why haven't we gone to a quick strike slant receiver in Broyles or Burleson? These ten yard plays, that are virtually screens, or dink and dunk as you say, are designed for aggressive defenses.

We already know that Megatron is going to pull coverage, so run a double slant set (if it exists) in that Broyles and Burleson line up in that aspect, or stack the receivers on one side. Now you have short, medium, middle and long coverage and not enough defense to cover it, plus Smith out of the backfield. Since what's his name the TE is dropping passes, he should be riding pine till he figures that out. That allows for Broyles to come in. Now you have 4 receivers stacked to one side, bring Leshoure and Smith in and you have 5 maybe 6 receivers, OR 4 receivers and a run game, safety valve with Smith catching an screen on the opposite side.

if done correctly, it could gash the defense enough to make them honest! San Fran did the screen passes, dink and dunk, so did Green Bay game 2 last year and it killed us. So why don't we do the same?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 26th, 2012, 8:20 am
Hall of Fame Player

Ferris wrote:

Here's what I really believe the NFL figured out about Stafford. Stafford plays his absolute worst against a 2 deep safety zone defense.

3 weeks into the season every team we faced has played it. They throw in some man but the 2 deep safeties are there. It has been forcing Stafford to dink and dunk.

Hence the running game - The Lions are trying to make teams pay for the 2 deep safety look and have yet to do so - Leshoure and Best together might be the cure. But until Stafford figures out how to beat it, it's getting the better of him.

Thoughts?

Well, if repetition is the mother of learning, He will get it figured out before long and then he will be an even better QB.

And I think Best should be switched to slot receiver to reduce his hits to the head.

September 26th, 2012, 9:54 am
Walk On

BillySims wrote:
Ferris wrote:

Thoughts?

Well, if repetition is the mother of learning, He will get it figured out before long and then he will be an even better QB.

And I think Best should be switched to slot receiver to reduce his hits to the head.

If it makes you feel better, it seems like all of the NFL is busting out the Cover 2 this season to try to reduce the damage from mega-receivers. Even the great Aaron Rodgers has been struggling for the same reason.

September 26th, 2012, 10:03 am

How does Jay Cutler do against it?

September 26th, 2012, 2:18 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Killwill25 wrote:
How does Jay Cutler do against it?

he throws picks to it....but hell he throws picks to every defense so whats the difference!?! :lol:

September 26th, 2012, 4:07 pm

It's a really weak excuse to cite the cover 2. Dungy popularized it as a base defense 15 years ago. It's not like it's some great new trick.

Its weakness is receiving TEs. The Lions should have two decent ones.

September 26th, 2012, 8:03 pm

The problem is that no teamfears the Lions running game and thus can get away with sending three or four and clogging up the middle of the field with seven or eight guys. Also as I've pointed out before Stafford really gets in trouble throwing off his backfoot,something that started last year around game four or five. I watched the Titan game replay yesterday (Thank you Time Warner finally) and Stafford did a good job stepping up into his throws and the completion % reflected it.

Hopefully LeShoure can break a few big runs and loosen up the coverage. What they need to do is make defenses pay for playing the CB so far off of Calvin. A few more WR screens to him where they stack one side and try to get the other WRs out in front of him blocking. If they can execute that for a couple good gains it will force the coverage to tighten up and hopefully allow Calvin or Young to get deep.

I really just want to see a running game other teams have to respect so the play action game and wheel routes to RBs can actually be utilized. Leshoure had 100 yard game on 26 carries but it wasn't a dominate performance that teams are going to plan for, hopefully they can take advantage of the Vikings aggresive DEs and get some big plays into the areas they are vacating. If they get a few big runs it should at least get the Eagles thinking a little more about the run.

September 27th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Majority of our problems are all on Peterman. They should just slide Reiff in there.

Read this:
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/9/26 ... nsive-line

September 27th, 2012, 7:46 pm

njroar wrote:
Majority of our problems are all on Peterman. They should just slide Reiff in there.

Read this:
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/9/26 ... nsive-line

He has been the weekest link on the line for about 3 years now. Rieff would probably be better but I think the coaching staff hates rookies. I really hope Peterman and Raiola are replaced soon

September 27th, 2012, 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next