View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 9:27 pm



Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 NFL faces another labor battle, with officials 
Author Message
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3713
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
I think this forum alone shows that the play was subject to interpretation. I personally think it should have been a pick but thats just the way I saw it. My issue is how all of a sudden the regular refs are magical and would have gotten this right. You couldn't watch ESPN without them singing the praises of the regular refs, like there is no way possible the regular refs would have made that mistake, and yet we all know how often they too would miss calls.

I dont care about the pensions, all I care about is the long term effects this dispute will have. I want to see long term solutions come from this. FACT: regular refs miss worse calls than this (Just ask Titus Young). They need to be held accountable, as long as they are protected from screwing up by their union I am fine with dealing with these jokers, as they REALLY arn't that much worse than the regular jokers. (before you can rebuttle that last part I DO agree that they are worse)

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 26th, 2012, 8:25 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2249
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
Another reason this has to end: look at what that TN guard tried to do to Tulloch. I suspect we'll see a lot more of that as the weeks go on.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 26th, 2012, 9:21 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2249
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
Looks like they came to an agreement. I'm happy to hear it.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 26th, 2012, 1:05 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Dallas
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Looks like they came to an agreement. I'm happy to hear it.


Let's not jump the gun until an agreement is signed.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


September 26th, 2012, 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
DJ-B wrote:
Nobody in the country, including the NFL, the officials on site, Every member of both teams, and Everyone in the world watching that play saw Anything but an Offensive PI that wasnt called and an Interception. The Original official totally F'ed the call, and since a replay requires Indisputable proof they couldnt overturn it.


Jeff Reiger (Sp?) agrees with his call and spent over an hour discussing it last night on his radio show (around 11pm, 97.1), and caller after caller agreed with him. The only reason more people weren't speaking out in favor of it prior to that was because the media was lambasting the point and anyone that disagreed. They wanted to use this as a springboard to get the NFL to settle the dispute, wrongfully so. Like I said, it's one union supporting another, supporting another and bullying the NFL into caving. I'm hoping they didn't do it. I'm hoping talks of the "agreement being reached" is the refs caving and realizing that even after all that pressure the NFL STILL won't cave.

Also, listen to how it was called by Mike Tirico... He says, as the play was happening, something to the effect of "Oh my! It was a SIMULTANEOUS CATCH, how are the refs going to rule..."


September 26th, 2012, 3:28 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3713
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
Nobody in the country, including the NFL, the officials on site, Every member of both teams, and Everyone in the world watching that play saw Anything but an Offensive PI that wasnt called and an Interception. The Original official totally F'ed the call, and since a replay requires Indisputable proof they couldnt overturn it.


Jeff Reiger (Sp?) agrees with his call and spent over an hour discussing it last night on his radio show (around 11pm, 97.1), and caller after caller agreed with him. The only reason more people weren't speaking out in favor of it prior to that was because the media was lambasting the point and anyone that disagreed. They wanted to use this as a springboard to get the NFL to settle the dispute, wrongfully so. Like I said, it's one union supporting another, supporting another and bullying the NFL into caving. I'm hoping they didn't do it. I'm hoping talks of the "agreement being reached" is the refs caving and realizing that even after all that pressure the NFL STILL won't cave.

Also, listen to how it was called by Mike Tirico... He says, as the play was happening, something to the effect of "Oh my! It was a SIMULTANEOUS CATCH, how are the refs going to rule..."



we need a emoticon with a hammer, cuz WJB nailed this one right on the head. dont know how long it will take me to be able to watch sports center again...it was downright disgusting...

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 26th, 2012, 4:03 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Dallas
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
Because some in the media disagree with you it is disgusting? But those that agree, well you will be quick to say how they "support" your argument. hummm, interesting. I've heard a few in the media agree with the call as well, that said, I know a number are saying that simply to be contrarian.

As for WJBs point, the media is all over this call because "They wanted to use this as a springboard to get the NFL to settle the dispute" is ludicrous. The media LOVES these kinds of disputes, they drive passion and ratings - talk radio and other forms of media are buzzing right now because of this situation. To suggust otherwise is simply distorting the facts to try to make your case and simply distracts from the case you are making. Come on, I know you are much smarter than that.

WJB, you REALLY believe the MEDIA wants the the NFL/REFS to settle?

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


September 26th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3713
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
Pablo wrote:
Because some in the media disagree with you it is disgusting? But those that agree, well you will be quick to say how they "support" your argument. hummm, interesting. I've heard a few in the media agree with the call as well, that said, I know a number are saying that simply to be contrarian.
As for WJBs point, the media is all over this call because "They wanted to use this as a springboard to get the NFL to settle the dispute" is ludicrous. The media LOVES these kinds of disputes, they drive passion and ratings - talk radio and other forms of media are buzzing right now because of this situation. To suggust otherwise is simply distorting the facts to try to make your case and simply distracts from the case you are making. Come on, I know you are much smarter than that.

WJB, you REALLY believe the MEDIA wants the the NFL/REFS to settle?



WOAH! not at all! Where the heck did you even get that from? Did you watch Sports center yesterday? the regular refs mights as well be GODS in their eyes. there was NO WAY the regular refs would have made that call that way! NO WAY! ....at least according to them.(even though a regular ref did get a look in the replay booth)

I dont mind anyone being upset about the call, it was controversial. But to delcare the NONSENSE that they were spewing yesterday was down right disgusting. there was NO benefit of the doubt...even though there are still hot debates on every football message board that i have seen...obviously it was close enough for a fair amount of people to think it was the right call.

But not in the eyes of ESPN...this was a tragedy that never would of happened with the regular guys.


Look, it looked like a pick to me but im reasonable enough to understand WHY it was called that way and even if i dont agree it doesn't mean Im going to belittle the crap out of guys who saw it a different way. ESPN gave no benefit of the doubt. they even had a 5 minute clip of all the mess ups of the replacement refs. have you EVER seen that happen with the regular refs? no you havn't. what the broadcasters are doing is unfair and DISGUSTING.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 26th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Dallas
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
So the media exploiting a hot button topic is UNFAIR and DISGUSTING?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen the media go off bad calls before and we will see it again. I'm sorry you seem so sensative to the level and type of coverage it is getting. If you ran a media company and realized about 90% of fans were DISGUSTED with that play and that by pointing out the problems with it would drive rating - would you not exploit that.

What is a "fair amount of people" who think it was the right call? 5%, 10%?

I'm glad you are reasonable enought to understand/rationalize the no call on the blatant Off PI and the ruled catch for the TD for that play to stand.

That said, I find it funny for anyone who supports this call to follow the rule book on half of the play (your interpretation of the simultaneous catch) but ignore the rule book on the other half of the play (the push off). I mean, we certainly don't need to have any sort of consistency to whether we choose to follow or ignore the rule book do we?

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


September 26th, 2012, 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3713
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
Pablo wrote:
So the media exploiting a hot button topic is UNFAIR and DISGUSTING?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen the media go off bad calls before and we will see it again. I'm sorry you seem so sensative to the level and type of coverage it is getting. If you ran a media company and realized about 90% of fans were DISGUSTED with that play and that by pointing out the problems with it would drive rating - would you not exploit that.

What is a "fair amount of people" who think it was the right call? 5%, 10%?

I'm glad you are reasonable enought to understand/rationalize the no call on the blatant Off PI and the ruled catch for the TD for that play to stand.

That said, I find it funny for anyone who supports this call to follow the rule book on half of the play (your interpretation of the simultaneous catch) but ignore the rule book on the other half of the play (the push off). I mean, we certainly don't need to have any sort of consistency to whether we choose to follow or ignore the rule book do we?


ok why do you keep saying i supported the play? where did I ever say that once?
seems to me i said the oposite....so.....I'd like to think that by using the example of...oh...RIGHT NOW, that I would choose to be unbiased. I would hate on the call , but i sure as well wouldn't start singing the praises of guys who have a history of screwing up JUST as bad. THATS where I have the problem. a rush of the regular refs back (without being able to hold them accountable for bad reffing) does not solve the problem of what happened yesterday. it just exacerbates the problem.

and no this is not what i said:

Pablo wrote:
So the media exploiting a hot button topic is UNFAIR and DISGUSTING?



the WAY they are doing it is what is disgusting. You Must not have watched the garbage on ESPN yesterday...I can't posibly see you supporting how rediculous it was getting after a few hours...the stretches they made makes W4C's theories look grounded.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 26th, 2012, 5:55 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
I think Jason Lewis said it best last night:

"You mean to tell me that you are on strike because you don't like getting paid $150,000.00 for a PART TIME JOB?"

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


September 26th, 2012, 7:16 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2249
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I think Jason Lewis said it best last night:

"You mean to tell me that you are on strike because you don't like getting paid $150,000.00 for a PART TIME JOB?"


Come on, that's bullshit. You have to take the context of their job into account. They're part of a booming business and want their portion to grow with the league.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 26th, 2012, 7:52 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2741
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
Pablo wrote:
So the media exploiting a hot button topic is UNFAIR and DISGUSTING?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen the media go off bad calls before and we will see it again. I'm sorry you seem so sensative to the level and type of coverage it is getting. If you ran a media company and realized about 90% of fans were DISGUSTED with that play and that by pointing out the problems with it would drive rating - would you not exploit that.

What is a "fair amount of people" who think it was the right call? 5%, 10%?

I'm glad you are reasonable enought to understand/rationalize the no call on the blatant Off PI and the ruled catch for the TD for that play to stand.

That said, I find it funny for anyone who supports this call to follow the rule book on half of the play (your interpretation of the simultaneous catch) but ignore the rule book on the other half of the play (the push off). I mean, we certainly don't need to have any sort of consistency to whether we choose to follow or ignore the rule book do we?


No one's ignoring the offensive pass interference except the refs. Both the replacements and the regular. On Hail Marys to end halves or games, they have been told not to call it. Since 2005, there's been 87. Zero times has it been called. I'm not agreeing with that sentiment, but since it wasn't called, then the discussion was about the TD itself. Had the OPI been called it wouldn't matter.

And yes, this has been a hotbed story. My story alone got over 10k unique hits in a little over a day and a crapload of hate from Packers fans.
Here's a Seattle blog's take on it with much better pictures:
http://lifexinxrewind.wordpress.com/201 ... eree-crew/

The media coverage hasn't been disgusting, but it hasn't been analytical either. The media hates its darling picks of the season to lose when they shouldn't lose. You had more people agreeing with the call in the Detroit game then against it. Just like we feel the refs are biased against us at times, the media definitely picks sides with teams as well. But we expect that, so the coverage on this wasn't any different.

You can tell the players are behind the ref union. The regular sportscasters have tried to defend the replacements, but the ex-players have been harsh against the "scabs" as they call them and the league itself. The NFLPA knows it can't do anything with the CBA, so have the players with a voice speak loud and clear about it because they can't be fined anymore.


September 26th, 2012, 9:38 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Dallas
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-r ... efs-return

Quote:
Lions rejoice at refs' return

When Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was asked Wednesday about reports that the NFL and its referees had ended their contentious labor dispute, his one-word exclamation perfectly summed up what seems like a universal opinion among players around the league.

“Sweet!”

Stafford and the rest of the Lions' players remained relatively silent about their opinions on replacement officials during the lockout, but the fourth-year quarterback acknowledged he's happy the game's seasoned officials are returning.

When asked about the problems created by replacement officials during games, Stafford surprisingly avoided discussing penalty decisions. He chose instead to focus on an aspect of an official's duties that is often overlooked by fans: Game management.

“You just sort of noticed [the replacement officials] in the game,” he said. “You just noticed that the pace of the game [would be slower], hash [marks] would get switched on quarter changes -- little things that you don't want to have to deal with in the game, you had to deal with.”

That improper game management was on display during the overtime period of Detroit's Week 3 loss to the Titans. On Tennessee's go-ahead drive, Lions' LB Stephen Tulloch was flagged for a personal foul. The officials then marked off the foul from the Detroit 44-yard line, rather than enforcing the violation from the Tennessee 44-yard line where the previous play had started. The extra 12 penalty yards moved Titans kicker Rob Bironas into field goal range.

Last week, WR Calvin Johnson echoed the opinion of several receivers around the league that the contact allowed by the replacement officials gave defenders a greater advantage over receivers than they had in previous seasons.


Johnson said he and other Lions' players knew the replacement officials were performing to the best of their ability, but the type of lower-division football the replacement refs were accustomed to paled in comparison to the speed of the NFL.

“I believe the game [was] moving real fast for a lot of the [replacement officials],” he said. “It's kind of like [as a player] coming from college to the NFL. Things move a lot faster.”

Johnson also confirmed he and other Lions players would try and alert the replacement officials to instances where they felt they had been fouled on plays. When asked if he would try to do the same thing with regular NFL officials, Johnson's answer was a vote of confidence for -- and appreciation of -- the skill of the returning referees.

“No,” he said. “The regular guys are good at seeing things.”


_________________
Image
LB Tweet


September 27th, 2012, 11:01 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3713
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: NFL faces another labor battle, with officials
NFLPA announces "thats it's glad to have their fellow union members back" today. trying to find an internet clip to go with that (saw it on TV)

EDIT: No need for an intenet clip..it's EVERYWHERE!

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 27th, 2012, 12:14 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.