View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 1:43 pm



Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 The Official Leyland Must Go Thread 
Author Message
Stats Boy
User avatar

Joined: September 9th, 2012, 10:57 am
Posts: 17
Location: Lansing, MI
Post The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
I haven't really cared for Leylands "style" of managing for years, but this year he has hit all the stops as far as bad decisions go. They have lost so many one run games this year I've lost count! A good manager will get you a win in some of those games. He has created some of those loses instead. IMO he caters to certain players, does things (like batting a .171 hitting Rayburn second in a late season game) just to show the fans and the press who is in charge, doesn't inspire his players even a little bit, doesn't hold people accountable, and is just generally a piss poor game manager.

He doesn't even have the balls to stand and take the hard questions. The beat reporters will not ask him the tough questions because they know he will stonewall them afterwards if they do. How unprofessional of both him, and of the front office to let him do that! It's really a great example of "the game has passed him by". They never bunt, never hit and run, and he only uses statistics when it benefits the crazy ideas he has. Rayburn has hit well in Chicago's stadium so he starts and bats second? Okay, that's for his career...seen what he's hitting this year Mumbles?

I think Leyland took a team with a lot of talent and basically wasted them. He's out of touch with the players, the fans, the media. Dombrowski has made some questionable moves too, but this seasons disaster sits on the skippers shoulders. Time to pack it in Jim.

_________________
If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.
~Jack Lemmon


September 11th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3345
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Yup im on board. I think he is holding this team back. It really hit me when the other day he started Don Kelly because "he deserved it". Leyland admitted hes had a bad season. But he "deserved it"?? What did he do to deserve it, walk an old lady across the street? Unbelievable. Any time you make your lineup include Kelly, Laird, Rayburn, and Worth...you obviously dont care too much about winning.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


September 11th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: September 28th, 2011, 5:57 pm
Posts: 299
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Why and the hell do you bring up guys like Berry and Garcia and plant their rectum' on the bench?
Our bullpen pretty much sucks. Leyland uses the same formula nearly ever game that we have a late lead. Yank Fister after he just struck out the side in the 7th. In comes Benoit(hasn't been that bad) for the 8th, with a 6 or 7 run lead and Grandpapa Grande for the 9th. We win by 2. Am I nut's or do we have a Strasburg kid that needs to be protected from having to throw more pitches than a LLer?

Worth, Kelly, Rayburn are worthless, we may be able to get a mid level prospect for the 3 of them. Bosch is a backup. Yes he get's some clutch hits, but enough to get a pass? He is as slow in the field as Miggy was last year. Collectively The first 3 can't hit their way out of a puff of smoke on a windy day. Who on the field sucks so bad that Don Kelly pinch hits for them. When you have Garcia and Berry on the bench.

I'm not a fair weather fan but am disgusted by what I see.

And Mr. Illitch want's to pay $12.00 for a dog and a sucky beer.

I'll watch from home until they do something to prove that they care.


September 13th, 2012, 7:28 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3345
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Boz wrote:
Why and the hell do you bring up guys like Berry and Garcia and plant their rectum' on the bench?
Our bullpen pretty much sucks. Leyland uses the same formula nearly ever game that we have a late lead. Yank Fister after he just struck out the side in the 7th. In comes Benoit(hasn't been that bad) for the 8th, with a 6 or 7 run lead and Grandpapa Grande for the 9th. We win by 2. Am I nut's or do we have a Strasburg kid that needs to be protected from having to throw more pitches than a LLer?

Worth, Kelly, Rayburn are worthless, we may be able to get a mid level prospect for the 3 of them. Bosch is a backup. Yes he get's some clutch hits, but enough to get a pass? He is as slow in the field as Miggy was last year. Collectively The first 3 can't hit their way out of a puff of smoke on a windy day. Who on the field sucks so bad that Don Kelly pinch hits for them. When you have Garcia and Berry on the bench.

I'm not a fair weather fan but am disgusted by what I see.

And Mr. Illitch want's to pay $12.00 for a dog and a sucky beer.

I'll watch from home until they do something to prove that they care.


Well said!

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


September 13th, 2012, 8:03 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7354
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
I haven't liked Leyland for quite a while now. He has no clue how to teach small ball when he needs to scratch out a run. He sends every hitter to the plate with the idea of swinging for the fences. I also don't think he let's our speedsters try to steal often enough. He is content to let them steal 2nd base. Well, it is a well known fact that it is easier to steal 3rd than it is to steal 2nd. But, too often, Jackson or Berry steal 2nd and then for whatever reason, they don't even try to steal 3rd. I assume Leyland has prevented them from trying.


September 13th, 2012, 8:13 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3619
Location: WSU
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
kdsberman wrote:
Yup im on board. I think he is holding this team back. It really hit me when the other day he started Don Kelly because "he deserved it". Leyland admitted hes had a bad season. But he "deserved it"?? What did he do to deserve it, walk an old lady across the street? Unbelievable. Any time you make your lineup include Kelly, Laird, Rayburn, and Worth...you obviously dont care too much about winning.


are you talking about when delmon young asked out of the lineup bc of a terrible track record against masterson and kelly stepped in and went 1-2 but then replaced by a pinch hitter? he didnt really have a lot of other options to play besides garcia and please stop with the berry comments. he s hit 201 since July 1 and was a career 260s minor league hitter. no other team ever brought him up to the majors let alone played him for 2 mos like leyland did. suddenly leyland is an idiot for not playing a guy that is fast but not a great defender or bunter and cant make contact with a fastball over 92 mph but gets no credit for sticking by him when he was playing well?


Last edited by The Legend on September 13th, 2012, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.



September 13th, 2012, 9:21 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3619
Location: WSU
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
BillySims wrote:
I haven't liked Leyland for quite a while now. He has no clue how to teach small ball when he needs to scratch out a run. He sends every hitter to the plate with the idea of swinging for the fences. I also don't think he let's our speedsters try to steal often enough. He is content to let them steal 2nd base. Well, it is a well known fact that it is easier to steal 3rd than it is to steal 2nd. But, too often, Jackson or Berry steal 2nd and then for whatever reason, they don't even try to steal 3rd. I assume Leyland has prevented them from trying.


there isnt much point of stealing 3b with those guys. on a base hit the guys with speed should be able to score from 2nd. jackson in particular has speed but is not a great basestealer. plus why would you run into an out with fielder and cabrera batting? the only time you d go for 3b is if you had less than 2 outs and a hitter batting that you thought could get you a sac fly.


September 13th, 2012, 9:25 pm
Profile
Online
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 778
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
BillySims wrote:
I haven't liked Leyland for quite a while now. He has no clue how to teach small ball when he needs to scratch out a run. He sends every hitter to the plate with the idea of swinging for the fences. I also don't think he let's our speedsters try to steal often enough. He is content to let them steal 2nd base. Well, it is a well known fact that it is easier to steal 3rd than it is to steal 2nd. But, too often, Jackson or Berry steal 2nd and then for whatever reason, they don't even try to steal 3rd. I assume Leyland has prevented them from trying.



Are you high, 3rd base is a 90ft throw for the catcher and the throw to 2nd is 127' and 3 3/8". How in the world can you say it's easier to steal 3rd? I'd be more willing to fire Leyland if he ever tried to steal 3rd with Cabby and Prince coming up to bat than for his lack of attempt to steal 3rd..


September 13th, 2012, 9:34 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7354
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I haven't liked Leyland for quite a while now. He has no clue how to teach small ball when he needs to scratch out a run. He sends every hitter to the plate with the idea of swinging for the fences. I also don't think he let's our speedsters try to steal often enough. He is content to let them steal 2nd base. Well, it is a well known fact that it is easier to steal 3rd than it is to steal 2nd. But, too often, Jackson or Berry steal 2nd and then for whatever reason, they don't even try to steal 3rd. I assume Leyland has prevented them from trying.



Are you high, 3rd base is a 90ft throw for the catcher and the throw to 2nd is 127' and 3 3/8". How in the world can you say it's easier to steal 3rd? I'd be more willing to fire Leyland if he ever tried to steal 3rd with Cabby and Prince coming up to bat than for his lack of attempt to steal 3rd..


Because you are behind the pitcher. The catcher can't begin to gun you down until he gets the ball. Because you are behind the pitcher, you can get a little bit of a head start.


September 13th, 2012, 9:45 pm
Profile
Online
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 778
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
BillySims wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I haven't liked Leyland for quite a while now. He has no clue how to teach small ball when he needs to scratch out a run. He sends every hitter to the plate with the idea of swinging for the fences. I also don't think he let's our speedsters try to steal often enough. He is content to let them steal 2nd base. Well, it is a well known fact that it is easier to steal 3rd than it is to steal 2nd. But, too often, Jackson or Berry steal 2nd and then for whatever reason, they don't even try to steal 3rd. I assume Leyland has prevented them from trying.



Are you high, 3rd base is a 90ft throw for the catcher and the throw to 2nd is 127' and 3 3/8". How in the world can you say it's easier to steal 3rd? I'd be more willing to fire Leyland if he ever tried to steal 3rd with Cabby and Prince coming up to bat than for his lack of attempt to steal 3rd..


Because you are behind the pitcher. The catcher can't begin to gun you down until he gets the ball. Because you are behind the pitcher, you can get a little bit of a head start.


Can you get a 37' 3 3/8" of a head start?


September 14th, 2012, 9:53 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3619
Location: WSU
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Billy is right, it is easier to steal third base. Runners can get a bigger lead because the pitcher has to make a lengthier move to hold them on base. Can also get a better jump as well. You dont see it that much bc there isnt that much of an advantage to be on 3b vs 2b esp once there are 2 outs.


September 14th, 2012, 4:48 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3345
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Hmmm...I remember a certain someone saying that Cabreras production will have a major drop off...

Guess a potential Triple Crown isnt good enough?

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


September 27th, 2012, 5:44 pm
Profile
Online
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 778
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
kdsberman wrote:
Hmmm...I remember a certain someone saying that Cabreras production will have a major drop off...

Guess a potential Triple Crown isnt good enough?


I believe wjb already admitted that it wasn't as bad as it was expecting in another thread.


September 27th, 2012, 8:28 pm
Profile
Online
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 778
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
I'm on board with the Leyland must go wagon assuming the Tiger's don't make the ALCS. Any less than that I want him out, and I love Leyland, local guy (from Perrysburg, Ohio) who's won damn near everywhere he's went. But the decisions he's been making this year seem even more awful than previous years. Leaving Coke in last night or against any right handed hitter is asking for trouble. I think he has about a .400 batting average against, against righties. I don't care what the opponents batting average against Lefty pitching is and it cost the Tigers last night.


September 29th, 2012, 1:13 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7354
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
If "A bottle of new coke is greater than Phil Coke" and Ben WAAAAAAHHHHH are still on the team next season, then Dumbrowski needs to be fired. I am sick of these two coming into a game that is seemingly nailed down until they screw the pooch out on the mound in front of GOD and everyone.


September 30th, 2012, 10:21 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.