View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 2:21 am



Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Random thoughts after week 4 
Author Message
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1137
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Random thoughts after week 4
1. F*ck.

2. F*ck, f*ck, f*ck.

3. Dear 2011 Offense: please come back. We miss you. We thought that you were still with us, what with virtually all of the names being the same. But it appears you snuck out the back door. Come back, please.

4. Why can our receivers not get open or not catch?

5. How on earth do the Lions keep turning out waaay below average ST year after year after year? Is this so hard to sort out? I could kind of accept it when I thought our starters were so untalented it was no surprise our ST was awful. I thought this season might change things. Apparently not.

6. Leshure needs to learn some patience.

7. Was I the only person, in a truly awful way that I am embarrassed about, kind of pleased Avril got injured? I have to admit (and its terrible to say) my first thought was "f*ck you, bet you wish you signed that contract and showed up at camp now, huh?". I am a bad person.

8. We miss Best (lomasbrown(?) who mentioned this). A homerun threat at RB makes a big difference.

9. The effort was awful. Is the coaching staff losing the locker room?

10. First Lions game in 2 years or more, I think, with not one single positive. Not one. Coming after last week's stomach punch stupidity, I am not a happy man right now.


September 30th, 2012, 4:34 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 961
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
I agree with all of that pretty much. I even thought the same thing about Avril too. That game really couldn't have gotten a whole lot worse. It was unbelieveable. Don't get me wrong, Minnesota is actually pretty talented but our offense has been beyond disappointing. Beyond it. It is almost incomprehensible.

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


September 30th, 2012, 4:43 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2181
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
I couldnt be happier to have an early bye week.

Pettigrew sucks

we are soft

I'm glad Silva finally got the start. I've wanted us to try him out since 2011 preseason and it's not like Coleman and Wendling are better than him. With Silva, that is one less DB we have to draft

I have not heard from or seen Suh at all in the last 2 weeks and Fairley is starting to look like a bust.

can anyone please tell me if there is a 10+ year starter worse than Raiola and Backus?

I still believe in Matthew Stafford

WE NEED TO BEAT GOOD TEAMS.

Why are'nt our WRs getting open?

F*ck

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


September 30th, 2012, 5:04 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Watching Football
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
I don't even know where to start? I don't know if it's coaching, players, scouts? I just don't get it?

We are awful all the way around. Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson are about the only two players that are playing at a high level.

Special Teams - We suck bad. The Vikes ran the same return that the Titans ran on us and we got caught again. We can't tackle and we can't hold our positions.

Denfense:

Dline - Cannot get any pressure - they have bought into their own hype. Either they are overrated or Gunther is stunting their growth.

LB's - Tulloch is overrated, he brings no swagger with him. Levy and Durant are average.

Secondary: worst in the NFL and magnified by the lack luster dline pressure. Bentley is awful and what pains me is how high the Coaches were on this kid.

Offense:

Oline - Absolutely terrible. Can't open holes for the RB's and can't hold their blocks in passing situations.

WR's - Not sure if the WR's just can't create seperation or if the oline is not holding their blocks long enough to let the routes develop. Probably a combination of both. Dropped balls are killing us too.

RB's - again - oline very well could be the issue here as well, but they spend a lot of time dancing in the backfield.

TE's - can't catch a cold

Coaches:

ST - Fire him now

Def - Why doesn't Gunther change things up. You can' keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? Line up 4 and rush them straight ahead. It's not working, move them around and do something different?

Off - Linehan, if you can't make this offense fly then you got issues. Perhaps the issue is that you run the same plays over and over. I could scheme for this offense.

It's like we run a vanilla offense and vanilla defense.

Schwartz - you got a long way to go to get this team headed in the right direction.

Last but not least - Fire the scouts, these guys suck rectum!

GO Lions!

_________________
Lions Fan since King Kong was a Spider Monkey!


September 30th, 2012, 6:53 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
I think there is some over-reacting going on by the fans right now, so I expected the commentary to be pretty incendiary.

The problem seems to me that this team has lost it's belief in itself. The lack of effort, dropped passes (including by Calvin) and the general going-through-the-motion, passionless approach this team has had week in and week out is finally taking its toll. They can no longer rely on their raw emotions to kick in after halftime to bail them out of trouble like they did last year.

This team is without heart. And as Gene Hackman said in "The Replacements", this team is lacking heart. It needs an outspoken, emotional leader....much like the Saints have in Drew Brees. Love him or hate him, he is the heart and soul of that team and almost single handedly willed them into being a better football team.

The Lions most outspoken person is Dom Raiola, the epitome of mediocre. What's that tell you?

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 30th, 2012, 7:15 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2631
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
My positive is the defense. The pool of talent on the defensive side of the ball is average/below average. Only giving up 6 points given their talent level is fine.

The negative is the offense. With all the resources, the offense should be expected to score at least 3 TDs per game. Maybe four. I'm not sure what the problem is. Dropped passes are obviously huge, but the play calling and offensive pace seems terrible as well.

The horrible is the ST. I'm not sure what the issue is, but four returns in two games is a joke.

EDIT: One thing that people should bear in mind is that the Lions overachieved last year. They were basically a .500 team that had many lucky breaks. The roster is largely the same, .500 this season shouldn't be surprising.


September 30th, 2012, 7:29 pm
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
Looks like the team was just content with making the playoffs and now sh!tting the bed again.

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


September 30th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Stats Boy
User avatar

Joined: September 9th, 2012, 10:57 am
Posts: 17
Location: Lansing, MI
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
1) Right now we are what the national writers said we were...an average team at best.

2) The draft strategy looks even worse now than when it was happening. Our first two rounds picks are sitting?? WTF?

3) We drafted and signed free agents to specifically upgrade our special teams (Osgood anyone?) and they STILL look this bad? Who is running that show cause he needs to be fired!

4) Both our lines have regressed. Before this game we seemed to be able to run block a little better than last year. Now it just looks like a mess! Why can't we have the balls to replace three of our OL in a year like they said Minnesota did?

5) Linebackers look decent to me this year, the DL looks worse, the secondary is atrocious! Bentley was the guy they were so high on?

6) Stafford and Calvin are still who they are. Suh is having a better year it seems. The coaching staff is like Jim Leyland and is losing us games now instead of helping win them.

I wish I saw more positive in this team so far...

_________________
If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.
~Jack Lemmon


October 1st, 2012, 1:28 am
Profile
Red Shirt Freshman
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 498
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
UK Lion wrote:
10. First Lions game in 2 years or more, I think, with not one single positive. Not one. Coming after last week's stomach punch stupidity, I am not a happy man right now.


The defense only allowed 6 points. But even that's not enough when your offense is lackluster and your special teams are god-awful.


October 1st, 2012, 2:27 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2181
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
I think Crossman sucks nut on the punt return TD, Kassim Osgood(who we signed for no reason other than his special teams prowess since he does nothing else) was in perfect position to make the clean hit on Sherels. He even made contact on him before he started to run but he just could'nt bring down the 5-10 168lb juggernaut that is Marcus Sherels

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


October 1st, 2012, 4:05 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3566
Location: WSU
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
UK Lion wrote:
3. Dear 2011 Offense: please come back. We miss you. We thought that you were still with us, what with virtually all of the names being the same. But it appears you snuck out the back door. Come back, please.

4. Why can our receivers not get open or not catch?

5. How on earth do the Lions keep turning out waaay below average ST year after year after year? Is this so hard to sort out? I could kind of accept it when I thought our starters were so untalented it was no surprise our ST was awful. I thought this season might change things. Apparently not.

6. Leshure needs to learn some patience.

7. Was I the only person, in a truly awful way that I am embarrassed about, kind of pleased Avril got injured? I have to admit (and its terrible to say) my first thought was "f*ck you, bet you wish you signed that contract and showed up at camp now, huh?". I am a bad person.

8. We miss Best (lomasbrown(?) who mentioned this). A homerun threat at RB makes a big difference.

9. The effort was awful. Is the coaching staff losing the locker room?

10. First Lions game in 2 years or more, I think, with not one single positive. Not one. Coming after last week's stomach punch stupidity, I am not a happy man right now.


3. Too many dropped passes, too much predictability in the 1st down play calls and I think they used the empty set too often. Dont give away when its a pass against a team that is producing a great pass rush.

4. Well Young Sr stopped running his routes w any sort of effort in about the 2nd quarter. I got excited anytime Broyles or Scheffler came in but that didnt help either. Linehan hasnt been nearly as creative as he was last season calling the plays. They seem hell bent on getting the 2 deep safeties to respect the run and in doing that they ve just wasted 3 quarters of football each of the last 2 weeks.

5. The bad Lions teams had good special teams. Remember Eddie Drummond? Unfortunately that all ended when Chuck Pfeiffer left...I wonder what he s doing bc Danny Crossman is as bad as Stan Kwan.

6. The OL got smashed up front this week but LeShoure is also not the superhuman people made him out to be last week. People jump to conclusions based on his pounding style against a TEN team that was getting mauled by OUR offensive line. IMO LeShoure should have had 150 yards last week. In crunch time he didnt pick up the extra yard on 3rd down in the open field leading to a Raiola moment. This week his fumble was a huge setback on an otherwise nice drive late in the game. Joique Bell is doing fine but I dont understand why they put Bell or Williams in ahead of Smith. I also dont understand why they bring Bell/Williams into the game and walk him out to a split end position. Yes I understand it puts a linebacker on Calvin Johnson but why then have Calvin run a 5 yard route over the middle against that linebacker? Anyway Im not LeShoure s biggest fan but the OL stunk and the coaches had the option of going to a different style runner but apparently they dont believe in change of pace.

7. Are you serious about No 7? Avril was having a beastly game...I guess some people still dont understand that NFL athletes make more than you do.

8. They need to find another runner like Best, there s no doubt about it. Linehan likes the speed backs more so than the power backs and has some creativity using the speed backs. WIth the power backs, you cant really be as cute with the play call but you can change up your blocking schemes and formations to force the issue. I just kept waiting in this game for the Lions to come in with a 3 TE set to pull the defense up and isolate Calvin - never saw it... It was all run on 1st down then empty set on 2nd down and pass...

9. Its a good question but the defensive effort was still there. KVB has those guys hustling. I thought the DL badly missed Corey Williams inside but the starting ends had a good game anyway and I was pleased with the LBs, Chris Houston, and Silva. Bill Bentley being thrown into the fire is doing okay overall but making the same mistake of not turning your head over and over is maddening. It seems like a simple thing to correct. Sp Teams guys are getting blocked and blasted all over the field. The Kickoff team pisses me off bc you can see 1 or 2 of the coverage guys let up when the ball goes into the end zone as they seem to be expecting a touchback. Play to the whistle. boys. On the punt I think it was Osgood should have had a kill shot but why was everyone else so cleanly blocked or out of position? Offensive effort I think is a problem with Young Sr but focus is another problem. Pettigrew had 2 drops, Young had 1, Broyles looked like he should have had one though I didnt see a replay and CJ missed a couple that he usually brings in.

10. It was a terrible game


October 1st, 2012, 5:14 am
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1137
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
The Legend wrote:
7. Are you serious about No 7? Avril was having a beastly game...I guess some people still dont understand that NFL athletes make more than you do.

I have consistently said I don't blame Avril for what he did re: the contract, that its business and that we shouldn't hold a grudge. The posts are on here. So I understand how it works and am fine with it.

What I posted was an immediate reaction when I was in a generally foul mood with all things Lions. And was a reaction that I knew was wrong (I thought I made that pretty clear in my post?). I wouldn't read anything more into it that that.


October 1st, 2012, 8:25 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2269
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
I'm not gonna fault the draft strategy. They follow BPA and they've stuck with that.

But at the same time, they've said that the place you do fill holes is free agency, and they just didn't do that this year. Now Delmas going out is something you obviously can't plan for, and they obviously thought Coleman would be better. As allenlions has told us, they expected Best to be back for the start of the season. And the whole Berry situation was an unexpected fiasco. But still, the fact that we didn't address our issues, instead believing we could paper over things, is starting to look worse and worse.

I've been a big Mayhew supporter, but results are results. Why haven't we seen some trades? Where's the waiver-wire magic of yesteryear? You mean to tell me that you're comfortable with Jonte Green on your starting roster? Hell, that poor kid is probably responsible for both punt return TDs.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 1st, 2012, 9:02 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
m2karateman wrote:
I think there is some over-reacting going on by the fans right now, so I expected the commentary to be pretty incendiary.
hehehe, no doubt and its just beginning as its the bye week...
m2karateman wrote:
The problem seems to me that this team has lost it's belief in itself. The lack of effort, dropped passes (including by Calvin) and the general going-through-the-motion, passionless approach this team has had week in and week out is finally taking its toll. They can no longer rely on their raw emotions to kick in after halftime to bail them out of trouble like they did last year.

This team is without heart. And as Gene Hackman said in "The Replacements", this team is lacking heart. It needs an outspoken, emotional leader....much like the Saints have in Drew Brees. Love him or hate him, he is the heart and soul of that team and almost single handedly willed them into being a better football team.

The Lions most outspoken person is Dom Raiola, the epitome of mediocre. What's that tell you?
This. The team is showing no heart whatsoever; they need a "spark" whatever it may be, let's hope they find something during the bye week.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 1st, 2012, 9:39 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3566
Location: WSU
Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
UK Lion wrote:
The Legend wrote:
7. Are you serious about No 7? Avril was having a beastly game...I guess some people still dont understand that NFL athletes make more than you do.

I have consistently said I don't blame Avril for what he did re: the contract, that its business and that we shouldn't hold a grudge. The posts are on here. So I understand how it works and am fine with it.

What I posted was an immediate reaction when I was in a generally foul mood with all things Lions. And was a reaction that I knew was wrong (I thought I made that pretty clear in my post?). I wouldn't read anything more into it that that.


My point is that you did not recognize how well Avril was playing in this game


October 1st, 2012, 9:50 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.