View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 9:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 The Official Leyland Must Go Thread 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Who would of thought, Tigers 1 win away from clinching...

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

September 30th, 2012, 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Lions2SB2 wrote:
Who would of thought, Tigers 1 win away from clinching...

No doubt. Another thing that could happen in the next 3 games. The Yankees and the Rangers could be the Wild Card teams. Yankees have the BoSox coming to town and the Rangers play the As for in Oakland for the division.

September 30th, 2012, 9:48 pm
League MVP

fekko2 wrote:
I haven't really cared for Leylands "style" of managing for years, but this year he has hit all the stops as far as bad decisions go. They have lost so many one run games this year I've lost count! A good manager will get you a win in some of those games. He has created some of those loses instead. IMO he caters to certain players, does things (like batting a .171 hitting Rayburn second in a late season game) just to show the fans and the press who is in charge, doesn't inspire his players even a little bit, doesn't hold people accountable, and is just generally a piss poor game manager.

He doesn't even have the balls to stand and take the hard questions. The beat reporters will not ask him the tough questions because they know he will stonewall them afterwards if they do. How unprofessional of both him, and of the front office to let him do that! It's really a great example of "the game has passed him by". They never bunt, never hit and run, and he only uses statistics when it benefits the crazy ideas he has. Rayburn has hit well in Chicago's stadium so he starts and bats second? Okay, that's for his career...seen what he's hitting this year Mumbles?

I think Leyland took a team with a lot of talent and basically wasted them. He's out of touch with the players, the fans, the media. Dombrowski has made some questionable moves too, but this seasons disaster sits on the skippers shoulders. Time to pack it in Jim.

Forget that the tigers are on the verge of clinching just couldnt disagree any more with this post. If there was a problem with Leyland's "style" do you really think that he would have managed 3000+ MLB games? Yes they lost a lot of one run games - you dont think the defense had anything to do with that? This team is built with a bunch of slow plodders all over the place and they cant cover that large of a field. I understand some people want to see them manufacture some runs but you cant run Delmon Young or Jonny Peralta. Do you really want to see a hit and run with a slow runner on the bases and a strikeout guy batting? Do you want Prince or Cabrera to lay down a bunt? Sorry man but after watching this team w Leyland since 2006 he does hit and run, he will have them lay down a bunt, he will steal bases but he knows the abilities of his players and the teams he s playing against. If you want a manager who gives away games look no further than AL Central foe Robin Ventura. He tried sacrificing bunting against the Tigers with Kevin Youkilis despite 3000+ career at bats with no sacrifice bunts. Needless to say that strategy failed as did his management of his young bullpen ams down the stretch. Dont forget he took Cy Young candidate Chris Sale and tried moving him to the bullpen midseason. As for this nonsense about Leyland stonewalling the media - when it comes to strategy, lineups, etc - I quite honestly have never seen anyone give more insight into why they made certain moves than Leyland. Also just an FYI, the Tigers were 12-6 against the White Sox and while you can cry that Raburn never came around other guys he stuck with did.

But, what do I know, go ahead and fire a guy that leads a flawed team to back to back division titles. Who knows how far they ll go this year or next when they patch some of the enormous deficiencies they ignored a year ago.

October 1st, 2012, 5:52 am
RIP Killer

A new SS and a RF and this team will be in business.

It's not smokey's fault that peralta, Avila, boesch, and all 2Bers haven't done squat.

October 1st, 2012, 9:55 am
kdsberman wrote:
Hmmm...I remember a certain someone saying that Cabreras production will have a major drop off...

Guess a potential Triple Crown isnt good enough?

I thought it would. His production at 3rd is about what I thought it would be, but his character, team play, dedication, work ethic and professionalism is far beyond what I thought it would be (and beyond what I believe anyone really expected from him). Cabrera has been flat out amazing.

That said, the Prince signing has been a colossal flop, just like I said it would be. I professed that the money would be better spent elsewhere, and it would have been. Our relief pitching has been flat out HORRIBLE, and one of the major causes of our lack of wins. We need a new set-up guy, flat out. Beniot sucks, Dotel isn't much better, Coke is a joke, and Valverde is adequate at best. Villareal and Al-al are about our two best relievers.

I think we finally got our 2nd baseman in Infante, but we need a major upgrade at SS. I would REALLY like to sign a quality 3rd baseman, trade Prince (who flat out SUCKS at first base), and put Cabrerra back at 1st, but I know that's probably more or less a pipe dream at this point.

October 1st, 2012, 5:07 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Hmmm...I remember a certain someone saying that Cabreras production will have a major drop off...

Guess a potential Triple Crown isnt good enough?

I thought it would. His production at 3rd is about what I thought it would be, but his character, team play, dedication, work ethic and professionalism is far beyond what I thought it would be (and beyond what I believe anyone really expected from him). Cabrera has been flat out amazing.

That said, the Prince signing has been a colossal flop, just like I said it would be. I professed that the money would be better spent elsewhere, and it would have been. Our relief pitching has been flat out HORRIBLE, and one of the major causes of our lack of wins. We need a new set-up guy, flat out. Beniot sucks, Dotel isn't much better, Coke is a joke, and Valverde is adequate at best. Villareal and Al-al are about our two best relievers.

I think we finally got our 2nd baseman in Infante, but we need a major upgrade at SS. I would REALLY like to sign a quality 3rd baseman, trade Prince (who flat out SUCKS at first base), and put Cabrerra back at 1st, but I know that's probably more or less a pipe dream at this point.

I agree that SS needs an upgrade. I thought Peralta was on the downside at the end of last year. This year, he fell off the cliff. I think he left his bat back home.

As for RF: I want to give Boesch 1 more year. I just think that when he gets his bat figured out, he is going to become a very good hitter. I expected a breakout year this year. But, he had a sophomore slump year apparently.

Fielder: If we could have found anyone to be a consistent threat in the 5th spot, Fielders numbers would have been better just like Cabrera's.

With the go for broke mentality Illitch introduced at the beginning of the season committing so much money to Fielder, we simply can not afford to pull back now. We need to land another blue chip player for SS this off season. (Any really good SS's going to be FA's?) And I swear, I will blow a gasket if Beniot and Coke are on this team next season.

October 1st, 2012, 5:32 pm
RIP Killer

Fielder a flop? Wow, what a retarded comment. Yeah, .300+, 30+ HRs and 105+ rbis...yeah a flop. He's going to get some MVP votes and you're still not happy. You are apparently one of the few, since most national writers think he's been a good signing (too much money, but still has played great ball this year. He's an adequate fielder; decent.

It's too bad they don't have a guy like Murphy, young or Cruz in the 5 hole like Texas; Prince's numbers would all be much better.

October 1st, 2012, 9:53 pm
1st Round Pick

conversion02 wrote:
Fielder a flop? Wow, what a retarded comment. Yeah, .300+, 30+ HRs and 105+ rbis...yeah a flop. He's going to get some MVP votes and you're still not happy. You are apparently one of the few, since most national writers think he's been a good signing (too much money, but still has played great ball this year. He's an adequate fielder; decent.

It's too bad they don't have a guy like Murphy, young or Cruz in the 5 hole like Texas; Prince's numbers would all be much better.

Agree.

It looks like the Tigers will be in the playoffs up 6-2 in the 7th.

October 1st, 2012, 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

How many $15 to $20+mil players does Prince have to have to out play before we cut him some slack? How many of the top dollar players signed in FA have done better than the guy we got? I agree that there were some guys signed for much less but who could have predicted that Adam Dunn would have a career year at this point? Twins signed Willingham and got a winner.
Pulous, Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Jayson Heyward.all big money all sucked. We got more for our money than most.

Hey we won! Enjoy!

October 1st, 2012, 11:40 pm
RIP Killer

I bet wjb would have been happier with Carl Crawford!

October 2nd, 2012, 12:16 am
1st Round Pick

conversion02 wrote:
I bet wjb would have been happier with Carl Crawford!

Some things are never good enough for some people.

October 2nd, 2012, 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

I do think that with the talent the Tigers have compared to the rest of the division, we should have had the division championship locked up by the beginning of August though.

October 2nd, 2012, 10:19 am
1st Round Pick

BillySims wrote:
I do think that with the talent the Tigers have compared to the rest of the division, we should have had the division championship locked up by the beginning of August though.

That could be, but I am just happy we are going into playoffs on what looks to be a good streak. I rather have us go in like this then 10 game lead and losing a bunch at the end.

October 2nd, 2012, 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Any idea of who the Tigers most likely will be playing?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 2nd, 2012, 9:21 pm
1st Round Pick

New York, Baltimore, Texas or Oakland

Detroit will play the division winner with the fewest victories. However, in the event of a tie …

The Yankees hold the tiebreaker over the Rangers but not the Athletics, so if New York and Texas win their divisions and finish with identical records, Detroit would play Texas. If New York and Oakland win their divisions and finish with identical records, Detroit would play New York.

The Orioles lose the tiebreaker to both the Rangers and Athletics, so if Baltimore wins the East and finishes with the same number of victories as the West champ, Detroit would play Baltimore.

October 2nd, 2012, 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next