View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 6:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Line 
Stadium Announcer

Post Line
I think most people on this website believe secondary, in particular safety, will be the biggest need of the team at the end of the season. I believe its the Oline. Teams are rushing 3 or 4 guys nearly every play getting pressure and stuffing the run. How can our Wrs and Tes get open on 8 defenders in 3 seconds every play. You fix the Oline they must worry about the run. They would also have to bring more than 4 to get pressure helping out the Wrs. Stafford and Co are going to continue to be frustrated when the safetys are 20 yards downfield and we must play checkdown every play. So lets say Reiff is the LT Gos is RT Sims is good we need 2 solid interior lineman to make this team much better. If you look at the saints when they were successful they were built like us throw the ball down the field. They had maybe the 2 best guards in the NFL. Still need a lot of defensive help however I believe 2 interior lineman would make this offense click.

On an unrelated note, how much better would our defense be had we brought in Courtland Finnegan. I think he signed the same deal as Eric Wright but I think he is a damn good #1 cb.

September 30th, 2012, 8:20 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Line
ZAndrews81 wrote:
I think most people on this website believe secondary, in particular safety, will be the biggest need of the team at the end of the season. I believe its the Oline. Teams are rushing 3 or 4 guys nearly every play getting pressure and stuffing the run. How can our Wrs and Tes get open on 8 defenders in 3 seconds every play. You fix the Oline they must worry about the run. They would also have to bring more than 4 to get pressure helping out the Wrs. Stafford and Co are going to continue to be frustrated when the safetys are 20 yards downfield and we must play checkdown every play. So lets say Reiff is the LT Gos is RT Sims is good we need 2 solid interior lineman to make this team much better. If you look at the saints when they were successful they were built like us throw the ball down the field. They had maybe the 2 best guards in the NFL. Still need a lot of defensive help however I believe 2 interior lineman would make this offense click.

On an unrelated note, how much better would our defense be had we brought in Courtland Finnegan. I think he signed the same deal as Eric Wright but I think he is a damn good #1 cb.

Yes and no. I still believe safety is and will be our number one priority. That has nothing to do with this game specifically, but overall. If we upgraded our interior o line I would be all for it. Barrett jones of Alabama would be a good name to mention here. But it's way too early.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 30th, 2012, 11:59 pm
3rd Round Selection

Our OL are no world beaters, but I think that in the pass game they are above average.

I don't agree that the difficulties in the pass game are because Stafford is being hurried as a result of poor OL play. I think he gets more time than most NFL QBs.

October 1st, 2012, 3:14 am
RIP Killer

ZAndrews81 wrote:

I believe Finnegan signed a bigger deal than Wright. And Finnegan is doing OK right now, but he's certainly not the best CB out there. For what he is getting paid, he's not close to worth it.

As for the safety versus O-line debate....I have been saying safety because our secondary is much worse than our offensive line, and we have young guys in place to step up when Backus and Raiola are done. Reiff, Fox, and Nagy are good replacements just waiting for their shot. However, our best safety is unable to stay healthy, and all others are backups or worse. Basically, we got nothing in the way of safeties, and haven't had a true ballhawker safety back there since God knows when. Strong safety play enhances both the run and pass defense. And since we put five offensive lineman on the field but only two safeties, enhancing the safety position takes precedence....at least in my mind.

What it will all come down to is what talent is on the board when we pick. And right now, looks like we'll be in the top 15 yet again.

October 1st, 2012, 10:14 am
Player of the Year - Defense

m2karateman wrote:
ZAndrews81 wrote:

I believe Finnegan signed a bigger deal than Wright. And Finnegan is doing OK right now, but he's certainly not the best CB out there. For what he is getting paid, he's not close to worth it.

As for the safety versus O-line debate....I have been saying safety because our secondary is much worse than our offensive line, and we have young guys in place to step up when Backus and Raiola are done. Reiff, Fox, and Nagy are good replacements just waiting for their shot. However, our best safety is unable to stay healthy, and all others are backups or worse. Basically, we got nothing in the way of safeties, and haven't had a true ballhawker safety back there since God knows when. Strong safety play enhances both the run and pass defense. And since we put five offensive lineman on the field but only two safeties, enhancing the safety position takes precedence....at least in my mind.

What it will all come down to is what talent is on the board when we pick. And right now, looks like we'll be in the top 15 yet again.

This ^. Also, there's maybe 2 top flight safeties worth a 1st or 2nd round pick, and then the rest drop off to 4th or 5th round quality. I know our scouting department has been pretty spot on with talent, but you can't trust a late round pick with the starting safety positions. They'd need time to develop and we don't have it.

Peterman is my biggest goal to replace, but I know it's easier to get a guard later. Safety should be the first pick.

October 1st, 2012, 12:16 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

njroar wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
ZAndrews81 wrote:

This ^. Also, there's maybe 2 top flight safeties worth a 1st or 2nd round pick, and then the rest drop off to 4th or 5th round quality. I know our scouting department has been pretty spot on with talent, but you can't trust a late round pick with the starting safety positions. They'd need time to develop and we don't have it.

Peterman is my biggest goal to replace, but I know it's easier to get a guard later. Safety should be the first pick.

Thing is, we don't even need to draft anyone to replace him. Riley Reiff, Jason Fox, Bill Nagy, and/or Corey Hilliard may very well be starting next season. As you said, the absolute BEST defensive back must be taken.

October 1st, 2012, 1:43 pm
Stadium Announcer

Reiff sure he is a 1st round pick from this season but if those other guys are so good why can they not beat out the starters who haven't been playing well like peterman and raiola?

October 1st, 2012, 8:13 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

ZAndrews81 wrote:
Reiff sure he is a 1st round pick from this season but if those other guys are so good why can they not beat out the starters who haven't been playing well like peterman and raiola?

Fox has shown great footwork in both pass and run plays, but his injuries have hindered his strength gains. Gotta have strength to block, but his footwork is there. Nagy is on IR but looked like a very solid run blocker last year with the cowboys.

October 1st, 2012, 8:23 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Shotty wrote:
ZAndrews81 wrote:

Fox has shown great footwork in both pass and run plays, but his injuries have hindered his strength gains. Gotta have strength to block, but his footwork is there. Nagy is on IR but looked like a very solid run blocker last year with the cowboys.

It's also about continuity. If the line was playing fairly well last year, why mess with a good thing? I'm sure you could see some changes soon though--Peterman is playing terribly, and he's taking the rest of the line down with him.

October 1st, 2012, 9:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

ZAndrews81 wrote:

I honestly think our staff undervalues rookies and overvalue experience. Although guys like Riaola, Backus, Peterman have only experienced failure. I would'nt be surprised if we have rookies that should be starting but the coaching staff doesn't trust them. Ever since the new FO has been in place we've only started rookies when we have no choice. I can barely remember who Suh, Stafford, Pettigrew, and Delmas replaced. But if/when Delmas comes back I think him and Silva will be our starters

October 2nd, 2012, 12:08 am
QB Coach

Weren't their several people stating that we needed to cut Corey because he was taking up space in a vaunted DL? Not that he's been missing due to injury, can we not see the glaring hole his presence filled?

Our DL has not proved to be as nasty in terms of QB pressure and sacks that I've seen, but then again I've only seen 1 game. Our 2ndary is hurting, the loss of Florence is hurting us, and the pass drops has killed our scoring.

I believe the person who spoke of fundamentals is spot on. Tackling, blocking, catching the ball THEN RUNNING, and so on.....

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 2nd, 2012, 8:34 am

Since the team has a bye... I'd spend the bye week practicing nothing but fundamentals.

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 2nd, 2012, 11:07 am
RIP Killer

how about nothing but ST practice for the next two weeks?

October 2nd, 2012, 11:19 am
Profile WWW

Pablo wrote:
how about nothing but ST practice for the next two weeks?

Why not both?!

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 2nd, 2012, 2:10 pm
Modmin Dude

LionsFan4Life wrote:
Since the team has a bye... I'd spend the bye week practicing nothing but fundamentals.
I believe the new CBA states the players are required to have 5 days off during the bye....looks like no extra team organized work

October 2nd, 2012, 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]