View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 8:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Coaching 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Coaching
conversion02 wrote:
...and so did linehan's creativity. We haven't seen that in almost a year.

Oh, and apparently a generic cover 2 is some new defense that linehan's has never seen

Screen passes were a HUGE part of our offense last year. I have no idea why they've gone away from them, and no idea why we let K. Smith just disappear as soon as LeShoure got healthy. Why not let them compliment each other?

October 1st, 2012, 9:07 am
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Oh, and apparently a generic cover 2 is some new defense that linehan's has never seen

Screen passes were a HUGE part of our offense last year. I have no idea why they've gone away from them, and no idea why we let K. Smith just disappear as soon as LeShoure got healthy. Why not let them compliment each other?

100% agree, why is Smith banished to the bench???

October 1st, 2012, 9:45 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

The Legend wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

100% agree, why is Smith banished to the bench???

Thats what Ive been asking for the past 2 weeks. The guy is our clear starter, then Leshour comes back and he's regulated to the bottom of the pile? I know the kid is better than bell and williams, how are they getting play time and he's sitting on the bench? i do not understand!

October 1st, 2012, 10:10 am
RIP Killer

I wish we had Jeff Fischer. That guy can gameplan. They have a garbage team and are still doing better than us, primarily based on coaching.

October 1st, 2012, 11:15 am
Heisman Winner

thelomasbrowns wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

TE screens to all 3 TE, HB screens, HB screens with the back out wide, bubble screens... They were our bread and butter last year and in pre season games.

I know everyones ballin on Pettigrew but damn give the guy a break, EVERY SINGLE ball that is thrown to him he's about to get blown up.... He's not fast but he isn't a bad runner we need to get him the ball and let him run. We can't have him getting destroyed everytime he catches a pass. Even Calvin drops those...

October 2nd, 2012, 11:14 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Lions president: A 1-3 record doesn’t faze us, we’re a different 1-3
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 2, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Minnesota Vikings v Detroit Lions Getty Images

A 1-3 start to the season isn’t a concern to Lions President Tom Lewand, who says that the Lions have confidence that they can turn things around.

“As I stand here before you today at 1-3, it doesn’t faze us,” Lewand said in a speech at a business school today, view the Detroit Free Press. “We understand that we’re not where we want to be. This is not where we expected to be one quarter of the way into the 2012 NFL season. But we also know it’s a different 1-3 than we’ve experienced in the past.”

The Lions started 4-0 last season, but in the last seven seasons they’ve started 0-4 three times and 1-3 twice. So they’re accustomed to getting off to a slow start. Lewand, however, says that the Lions now know they have the talent to be a lot better than they were in those other recent seasons when they started slowly.

“I’ve been 1-3 before — probably too many times than I’d like to remember we’ve been 1-3,” Lewand said. “And there’ve been times where we sit there on a Monday morning after a loss to take us to 0-4 or 1-3 or even to 2-2 and 3-1 and said, ‘We’re in trouble, because we don’t have players, we don’t have talent, we don’t have this, we don’t have that. We don’t have some of these fundamental characteristics on our core product that we need to be successful in the NFL.’ . . . But if you kind of peek through the clouds and again focus on that fundamental characteristic, you can see that you’ve got the talent in place to be successful in the NFL.”

Lewand is clearly right that the Lions have more talent now than they had during the Matt Millen era. But the talent doesn’t mean much if it doesn’t produce wins. And last year’s hot start aside, the Lions haven’t produced many wins. They’re 6-10 in their last 16 games, and if they don’t play a lot better in a hurry, they’ll be lucky to finish 6-10 this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... erent-1-3/
A different 1-3? Really? :shock:
Here we go again......... ](*,)

October 2nd, 2012, 3:19 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Lions hope to play “pissed off” after bye week
Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT

The Detroit Lions have limped into their bye week with a 1-3 record. But for a clock-operator error in Week One against the Rams, the Lions could be 0-4.

Either way, it’s a steep decline from last year, and it has the Lions doing some soul-searching.

Specifically, they’re searching for the soul they had a season ago. “I think one of the reasons we had some success last year is we felt like it was us versus everybody else,” guard Rob Sims said, per Carlos Monarrez and Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “We were kind of pissed off and we were playing a little bit reckless and kind of doing our thing.”

The problem is that the attitude created too many penalties. “Now we cut out some of the penalties . . . which I think is a good thing,” Sims said. “But we maybe lost some of our recklessness and playing with that reckless abandon. We need to get that back.”

Coach Jim Schwartz agrees. “We do need to play emotional,” Schwartz said. “We do need to, for lack of a better word, put a chip on our shoulder and things like that.”

But that edge isn’t lost — or found — during a bye week. This team has lost something in the past several months. Deciding in the middle of the season that they’re going to get it back won’t bring it back, especially when four of their first five games after the week off will be played on the road.

Then there’s the reality that, from a talent standpoint, it won’t matter how pissed off or otherwise the team may be. This team currently is destined to be back on the outside looking in, and they’ll need to spend time (and money) in 2013 addressing the many weak spots on the depth chart.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -bye-week/
As M2K mentioned, this team is playing without emotion, without an edge; let's hope they figure it out during the bye.....

October 2nd, 2012, 3:25 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:

A 1-3 start to the season isn’t a concern to Lions President Tom Lewand, who says that the Lions have confidence that they can turn things around.

“As I stand here before you today at 1-3, it doesn’t faze us,” Lewand said in a speech at a business school today, view the Detroit Free Press. “We understand that we’re not where we want to be. This is not where we expected to be one quarter of the way into the 2012 NFL season. But we also know it’s a different 1-3 than we’ve experienced in the past.”

The Lions started 4-0 last season, but in the last seven seasons they’ve started 0-4 three times and 1-3 twice. So they’re accustomed to getting off to a slow start. Lewand, however, says that the Lions now know they have the talent to be a lot better than they were in those other recent seasons when they started slowly.

“I’ve been 1-3 before — probably too many times than I’d like to remember we’ve been 1-3,” Lewand said. “And there’ve been times where we sit there on a Monday morning after a loss to take us to 0-4 or 1-3 or even to 2-2 and 3-1 and said, ‘We’re in trouble, because we don’t have players, we don’t have talent, we don’t have this, we don’t have that. We don’t have some of these fundamental characteristics on our core product that we need to be successful in the NFL.’ . . . But if you kind of peek through the clouds and again focus on that fundamental characteristic, you can see that you’ve got the talent in place to be successful in the NFL.”

Lewand is clearly right that the Lions have more talent now than they had during the Matt Millen era. But the talent doesn’t mean much if it doesn’t produce wins. And last year’s hot start aside, the Lions haven’t produced many wins. They’re 6-10 in their last 16 games, and if they don’t play a lot better in a hurry, they’ll be lucky to finish 6-10 this year.

That's the biggest crock of sh!t I've read in a long time. Lewand must be hitting the sauce again, because that's the statement of a person out of touch with reality. 1-3 is 1-3, regardless of whether you lost by 1 or 100 points in each game.

October 2nd, 2012, 3:44 pm
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:

I about puked at the opening statement. I quit reading. Hey TOM!!!
YOUR NOT JUST 1-3. Since the 5-0 start from last year, the Lions are 6-10 counting the playoff embarrassment.

October 3rd, 2012, 1:10 am
3rd Round Selection

I agree with Lewand - this isn't the same kind of Lions team that we've had in the past. It has more potential, IMO, to turn things round this season.

What I don't agree with is Lewand, as a member of the Lions organisation, saying that. We need these last 4 games to light a fire under some of the players. Telling them "it's ok, you're still talented" is foolish IMO. They need to be receiving a message of "it's not ok - right now, you look like the Lions teams of the past; go out on the field and prove to me that's not true".

October 3rd, 2012, 5:09 am
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
I agree with Lewand - this isn't the same kind of Lions team that we've had in the past. It has more potential, IMO, to turn things round this season.

What I don't agree with is Lewand, as a member of the Lions organisation, saying that. We need these last 4 games to light a fire under some of the players. Telling them "it's ok, you're still talented" is foolish IMO. They need to be receiving a message of "it's not ok - right now, you look like the Lions teams of the past; go out on the field and prove to me that's not true".

You are correct, sir.

Having talent is one thing. Using it is quite another. My brother is a talented drawer and painter. And what does he do for a living? Works on a cattle ranch.

It almost seems as if this team has become reliant upon their ability to pull out the game at the last second. It doesn't always work. They believed the hype about how talented the roster is, and become complacent. Now they are 1-3.

It all adds up to losing games they should win.

October 3rd, 2012, 8:45 am
RIP Killer

The Lions don't seem to get things really going until their backs are against the walls. The coaching staff needs to intstill in the players right now that their backs are against the walls for the season.

October 3rd, 2012, 10:35 am
Profile WWW

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but it seems that a lot of these guys feel or have been pretty much told that they are the man and aren't afraid of losing their spots on the team. The STs wasn't great by any stretch last year but they looked better than this, they could use Stovall and Carpenter this year.

October 3rd, 2012, 10:58 am

sweetd20 wrote:
I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but it seems that a lot of these guys feel or have been pretty much told that they are the man and aren't afraid of losing their spots on the team. The STs wasn't great by any stretch last year but they looked better than this, they could use Stovall and Carpenter this year.

Speaking of Carpenter.. he just got signed by the Pats.

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 3rd, 2012, 11:43 am
Towel Boy

Growler wrote:
Dare I say it, is it time to start asking whether or not we might be better off with a different coaching staff, at least as far as defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator, and special teams goes? Schwartz might deserve a re-examination, too. What happened in Tennessee was just gut-wrenching and they should won that game.

We've been outcoached in every single game so far. Schwartz and co. seem to be in over their heads. Teams have figured out how to beat the Lions and they have no idea what adjustments to make to fix that.

Another part of the problem is Mayhew's failure to address huge holes. He did nothing to upgrade our secondary or RB problem.

October 3rd, 2012, 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next