View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 2:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Random thoughts after week 4 
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: Random thoughts after week 4
The Legend wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
The Legend wrote:
7. Are you serious about No 7? Avril was having a beastly game...I guess some people still dont understand that NFL athletes make more than you do.

I have consistently said I don't blame Avril for what he did re: the contract, that its business and that we shouldn't hold a grudge. The posts are on here. So I understand how it works and am fine with it.

What I posted was an immediate reaction when I was in a generally foul mood with all things Lions. And was a reaction that I knew was wrong (I thought I made that pretty clear in my post?). I wouldn't read anything more into it that that.

My point is that you did not recognize how well Avril was playing in this game

It was his best game of the season. I wouldn't have described it as "beastly" though.

And my reaction didn't have much to do with how well he was, or wasn't, playing - didn't say anything about that at all.

October 1st, 2012, 9:55 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm not gonna fault the draft strategy. They follow BPA and they've stuck with that.

But at the same time, they've said that the place you do fill holes is free agency, and they just didn't do that this year. Now Delmas going out is something you obviously can't plan for, and they obviously thought Coleman would be better. As allenlions has told us, they expected Best to be back for the start of the season. And the whole Berry situation was an unexpected fiasco. But still, the fact that we didn't address our issues, instead believing we could paper over things, is starting to look worse and worse.

I've been a big Mayhew supporter, but results are results. Why haven't we seen some trades? Where's the waiver-wire magic of yesteryear? You mean to tell me that you're comfortable with Jonte Green on your starting roster? Hell, that poor kid is probably responsible for both punt return TDs.

Anwar Richardson (MLive) feels the same way:

Quote:
"While I understand Detroit's philosophy of drafting the "best available player," that approach only makes sense if a team addresses its needs in free agency. If needs are ignored in free agency, and the draft becomes all about taking developmental players, you are 1-3 after four games. "
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ealit.html

October 1st, 2012, 10:15 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
9. Its a good question but the defensive effort was still there. KVB has those guys hustling. I thought the DL badly missed Corey Williams inside but the starting ends had a good game anyway and I was pleased with the LBs......

The linebackers SUCKED yesterday. Durant played OK, but the other two were bad. I can't tell you how many times I saw Tulloch and Levy over run a play and have Peterson cut back against them to gain the first down. It was sickening. Even though the defense wasn't responsible for this loss by any stretch of the imagination, they certainly didn't enjoy a good game.

I'll tell you right now, Tulloch may be the most over rated player on this defense. He is not as good as advertised against the run, and is a liability in pass coverage. Levy hasn't improved much over last year, which is a bad sign.

This is a team that no longer believes in itself, the system or the coaches. Without an outspoken leader, I think they continue to flounder. And Dominic Raiola is not respected enough in the locker room to fill that role.

October 1st, 2012, 10:39 am
RIP Killer

Tulloch was blocked damn near out of every play.

October 1st, 2012, 10:56 am
RIP Killer

I know I wanted Finnegan, but how about Daniel manning? 4 years $20M and the dood is earning it.

October 1st, 2012, 11:04 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
9. Its a good question but the defensive effort was still there. KVB has those guys hustling. I thought the DL badly missed Corey Williams inside but the starting ends had a good game anyway and I was pleased with the LBs......

The linebackers SUCKED yesterday. Durant played OK, but the other two were bad. I can't tell you how many times I saw Tulloch and Levy over run a play and have Peterson cut back against them to gain the first down. It was sickening. Even though the defense wasn't responsible for this loss by any stretch of the imagination, they certainly didn't enjoy a good game.

I'll tell you right now, Tulloch may be the most over rated player on this defense. He is not as good as advertised against the run, and is a liability in pass coverage. Levy hasn't improved much over last year, which is a bad sign.

This is a team that no longer believes in itself, the system or the coaches. Without an outspoken leader, I think they continue to flounder. And Dominic Raiola is not respected enough in the locker room to fill that role.

See and here is where you can call "eye of the beholder". I thought Levy made a couple of really nice plays as well as Durant. I'm about to eat some "dump Levy" crow if he's keeps playing like he has. He's made more good plays than bad ones over the past few weeks.

October 1st, 2012, 11:26 am
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

See and here is where you can call "eye of the beholder". I thought Levy made a couple of really nice plays as well as Durant. I'm about to eat some "dump Levy" crow if he's keeps playing like he has. He's made more good plays than bad ones over the past few weeks.

The few plays where Levy got involved, he was basically untouched. I saw a few plays though, where he had a shot at the tackle and he simply either over ran the play, or he was too easily removed from the play. Same with Tulloch. I saw a number of times Peterson was able to gain extra yardage because Tulloch took a bad angle. I can understand it happening from time to time, but it happens way too often with those two. Durant is our best run stopping LB, by far. He takes better angles, and doesn't get juked out of his jock by a simple move.

October 1st, 2012, 4:38 pm

Quote:
The linebackers SUCKED yesterday. Durant played OK, but the other two were bad. I can't tell you how many times I saw Tulloch and Levy over run a play and have Peterson cut back against them to gain the first down

The Vikes had 15 first downs to our 23, They went 3/12 on third down, Our D allowed 2 fgs. AP did'nt really kill us like he usually does. Our secondary is so bad that we can't blitz because they'd probably give up a TD. But I don't understand how anyone can be mad at our LBs right now. When your defense played like ours played yesterday, you should win the game. Our offense looks akward as hell and we suck in the redzone. 66, 51, and 76 need to be updraded because we had had a s***ty running game and hurt QBs since they've been on the team. We know Leshoure has ability so theres no excuse for them now.

Pettigrew has been the most unreliable TE in the NFL this year. I wont even get into special teams but Our LBs have been our most consistant unit this season. through 4 games, the offense WHICH WE WERE RELYING ON THIS SEASON, has produced only yards. Even if you dont like the LBs, you must agree that our LBs our probably the least of our worries right now. I thought Levy played awesome BTW.

LOL, Silva might have been our best player in the secondary yesterday

October 1st, 2012, 4:49 pm
Team MVP

I think everyone has pretty much summed up my thoughts after week 4. But to add, its like the coaching staff fails to realize there are only 16 games. So they keep trying the same thing over and over and its not working, time is running out.

APPARENTLY, the Lions have this fierce defensive line. Thats what they say. I cant seem to find them. They are non existent. Is it the players? The coaches? I really dont care. Whatever the problem, it has to be fixed. Until proven otherwise, im sorry but i have to call this unit overrated.

Im sick of watching other 4-3 defenses, specifically the d-lines, and seeing a creative package or lineup that WORKS. Watching them create pressure....(Seahawks against Packers is a good example)....then to watch our "fierce" defensive line run the same lineup play after play. Rush 4 in their same gaps. Aaaannnnddddd we're blocked. Next play. Rush 4 in the same spots. Aaaaannnnddddd sssstopped again. Getting sick of it.

Watching this d-line used to be so fun. Now its boring. WHY? Wish i knew. Wish the coaches knew, because apparently THEY dont either.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 1st, 2012, 4:56 pm
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Free Head Exam: Detroit Lions
October, 1, 2012
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

1 In defending special teams coordinator Danny Crossman, coach Jim Schwartz rejected the assertion that the Vikings had outschemed them Sunday. Schwartz said that physical mistakes by players were responsible for the Lions becoming the first team in NFL history to give up punt and kickoff returns for touchdowns in consecutive games. I don't doubt that physical mistakes occurred. Kassim Osgood's failure to tackle Marcus Sherels immediately after he fielded the punt was the first of four missed tackles on the play. But multiple Vikings players and coaches said the Lions used the same coverage on the opening kickoff as they had last week in giving up a 105-yard return to the Tennessee Titans' Darius Reynaud. Said Vikings coach Leslie Frazier: "I remember in our first special teams kickoff return meeting we saw some things and we pointed out that if everybody holds their blocks, Percy [Harvin is] going to score. I mean, it was obvious. There were some things that we saw if we just held our blocks and our guys did it." That's a smoking gun as far as I'm concerned. Typically when a group performs poorly over time, there are multiple explanations. In fact, I think it would look worse for Schwartz and Crossman if the same culprit was to blame over and over again without being corrected. The Lions are a mess on special teams, but it has without a doubt been a group effort.

2 The upshot of four special-teams touchdowns in the past two weeks: The Lions' defense has played much better than its opponents' point total would indicate. Sunday, it limited the Vikings' offense to a pair of field goals. Both were set up by pass-interference penalties. And the Lions were really the first team to do a decent job limiting the touches of receiver Percy Harvin on offense. I thought safety Ricardo Silva, promoted Saturday from the practice squad, did a nice job on several plays trailing Harvin out of the backfield. And defensive end Cliff Avril sniffed out and nearly intercepted a bubble screen pass in the second half. Harvin's 34 combined yards in rushing and receiving was by far a season low.

3 I applaud Schwartz and quarterback Matthew Stafford for continuing to support tight end Brandon Pettigrew publicly despite a tough two-week stretch that continued Sunday with a dropped touchdown pass. But I question how they feel behind the scenes. It would be one thing if Pettigrew had suddenly fallen into a rut that was an outlier from the rest of his career. But for better or worse, Pettigrew has been this guy for most of his career. He catches plenty of passes -- only four NFL tight ends have more than his 207 receptions since the start of the 2009 season -- but also drops more than he should. You wonder how many more drops in the end zone Pettigrew can make before the Lions rearrange their red zone priorities.

And here is one issue I still don't get:

I'm not sure if the Lions should be complimented for taking a patient approach on offense or criticized for too easily allowing teams to take them away from their strength. Schwartz reiterated Monday that teams are playing them "light" at the line of scrimmage, pushing their defense further back downfield to defend big pass plays. He added: "You need to have a mentality of being aggressive and aggressively asking what the defense gives you, but there's also a downside to that: Making dumb decisions if you try to push the ball where it shouldn't go in coverage." The Lions might be running the ball more than many would like -- an average of 25 attempts per game -- but they still rank second in the NFL with 186 pass attempts and are first with 1,288 passing yards. Their biggest issues have been a really poor running game, along with an inability to complete the longer drives teams are forcing them to embark on. A total of 14 teams have more touchdown passes than them (five). If anything, this has happened as a flaw of design rather than poor play calling. If the Lions could so easily be taken out of their game, then their offense was far more imbalanced and imperfect than anyone realized. As Schwartz said, the Lions need to "make people pay" for defending the run and short-passing game as an afterthought. As it is, their running backs are averaging 3.4 yards per carry. That's an awfully low number against light boxes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... t-lions-38

October 1st, 2012, 5:04 pm
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm not gonna fault the draft strategy. They follow BPA and they've stuck with that.

But at the same time, they've said that the place you do fill holes is free agency, and they just didn't do that this year. Now Delmas going out is something you obviously can't plan for, and they obviously thought Coleman would be better. As allenlions has told us, they expected Best to be back for the start of the season. And the whole Berry situation was an unexpected fiasco. But still, the fact that we didn't address our issues, instead believing we could paper over things, is starting to look worse and worse.

I've been a big Mayhew supporter, but results are results. Why haven't we seen some trades? Where's the waiver-wire magic of yesteryear? You mean to tell me that you're comfortable with Jonte Green on your starting roster? Hell, that poor kid is probably responsible for both punt return TDs.

I'm sorry. But, I take issue with the bolded statement.

Every other team in the NFL plans for it. If Mayhew didn't, He didn't do his job.

If you are putting all your eggs in the basket of any 1 particular player staying healthy, then you deserve to be fired! In today's NFL, you had darn well better have 3 Starting quality Safeties and 3 Starting quality CB's. And you darn well better have a total of 5 dependable CB's. Guaranteed, at some point, all 3 Safeties and all 3 Starting quality CB's, WILL START FOR YOU. And at some point, you WILL get down to your 5th best CB. Guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 1st, 2012, 6:29 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
The Legend wrote:
7. Are you serious about No 7? Avril was having a beastly game...I guess some people still dont understand that NFL athletes make more than you do.

I have consistently said I don't blame Avril for what he did re: the contract, that its business and that we shouldn't hold a grudge. The posts are on here. So I understand how it works and am fine with it.

What I posted was an immediate reaction when I was in a generally foul mood with all things Lions. And was a reaction that I knew was wrong (I thought I made that pretty clear in my post?). I wouldn't read anything more into it that that.

Your wasting your time Legend. Some people have just got it set in their mind that Avril is the spawn of Satan because he did what anybody else would do in his situation when they believe in themselves and believes they are worthy of more than what was offered. I can't blame a guy for trying to get as much as he can from a game that earns Hundreds of Billions of $$$$ each year and a players career can come to a halt on any given play.

October 1st, 2012, 6:34 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Your wasting your time Legend. Some people have just got it set in their mind that Avril is the spawn of Satan because he did what anybody else would do in his situation when they believe in themselves and believes they are worthy of more than what was offered. I can't blame a guy for trying to get as much as he can from a game that earns Hundreds of Billions of $$$$ each year and a players career can come to a halt on any given play.

He gambled...we don't have to like him for it. I was pretty disgusted with his play till this week....any word on his injury?

October 1st, 2012, 6:38 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:

Avril was playing well, but certainly was not in "beast mode" by any stretch. His 1.5 sacks Sunday were his first sacks of the season. And let's keep in mind, they came against one of the more mediocre right tackles in all of football (Phil Loadholt). I wouldn't start applauding him just yet.

And to keep it in perspective, and this pace he'll end up with 6 sacks on the season. Yeah...that's worth $10.6 million per season. In the meantime, Corey Williams, Ndamukong Suh and KVB all have more sacks on the season than him.

Avril is what we thought he is.....a good DE, but not nearly an elite DE.

October 2nd, 2012, 3:55 pm

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Avril was playing well, but certainly was not in "beast mode" by any stretch. His 1.5 sacks Sunday were his first sacks of the season. And let's keep in mind, they came against one of the more mediocre right tackles in all of football (Phil Loadholt). I wouldn't start applauding him just yet.

And to keep it in perspective, and this pace he'll end up with 6 sacks on the season. Yeah...that's worth $10.6 million per season. In the meantime, Corey Williams, Ndamukong Suh and KVB all have more sacks on the season than him.

Avril is what we thought he is.....a good DE, but not nearly an elite DE.

Not to nitpick, but he got credited retroactively with a sack for the play at the end of the St. Louis game.

October 2nd, 2012, 10:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next