View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Coaching 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Coaching
CaptainBlue wrote:
Growler wrote:
Dare I say it, is it time to start asking whether or not we might be better off with a different coaching staff, at least as far as defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator, and special teams goes? Schwartz might deserve a re-examination, too. What happened in Tennessee was just gut-wrenching and they should won that game.

We've been outcoached in every single game so far. Schwartz and co. seem to be in over their heads. Teams have figured out how to beat the Lions and they have no idea what adjustments to make to fix that.

Another part of the problem is Mayhew's failure to address huge holes. He did nothing to upgrade our secondary or RB problem.

Welcome to Lionbacker Captain!

Let me be the first to say "YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!"

October 3rd, 2012, 12:01 pm
RIP Killer

CaptainBlue wrote:
Growler wrote:
Dare I say it, is it time to start asking whether or not we might be better off with a different coaching staff, at least as far as defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator, and special teams goes? Schwartz might deserve a re-examination, too. What happened in Tennessee was just gut-wrenching and they should won that game.

We've been outcoached in every single game so far. Schwartz and co. seem to be in over their heads. Teams have figured out how to beat the Lions and they have no idea what adjustments to make to fix that.

Another part of the problem is Mayhew's failure to address huge holes. He did nothing to upgrade our secondary or RB problem.

Let me also welcome you. Now let me say this...what RB problem? We. Don't. Have. One.

We have four healthy running backs on the roster. Our first two games saw our top running back suspended...hardly Mayhew's fault. Our lack of a running game is not brought about because the backs are simply no good. Are they elite class backs? No. But many, many successful teams don't have elite running backs. The problem with our running game, as it has been for years, is tied to the lack of power on the offensive line and more recently, the play calling. This offensive line is built around protecting Matt Stafford moreso than opening up holes in front. And our playcalling is dedicated to using our "weapons", namely Stafford and Calvin. That playcalling has gotten predictable and as such opposing defenses are daring us to run the ball. We can't establish a power running game with a pass blocking o-line. Best being in there gave us a homerun threat, but realistically teams didn't line up to stop him because he wasn't the one they needed to be worried about. He was more of a threat as a receiver than a runner.

Fix the offensive line. Many have been saying that for years on this forum, and it still holds true today. Gosder Cherilus has played well, as has Rob Sims. Unfortunately, between them we have Peterman and Raiola, who constantly are overmatched against bigger, stronger players week in and week out. Backus has been OK as a run blocker, but has never been a hole opener in his career. It would be unrealistic to ask that of him now.

October 3rd, 2012, 12:54 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

CaptainBlue wrote:
Growler wrote:

Ahoy Captain. I have questions about the coaching staff as well and the direction they are taking this team. My first is with Gunther being here and having Schwartz have him run the Wide 9. Gunther has been around long enough to know every defense and was with Schwartz for a little while in Tennesee, but if I'm not mistaken hasn't he been a 3-4 guy for most of his career? I like Gunther but I think he's at the end of his career and wouldn't mind seeing them go after a younger guy like Pepper Johnson from New England. Pepper is used to the 3-4 as well but I think Detroit could be in a position to move to a 3-4/4-3 hybrid like the Ravens run.

The defense can still use upgrades at more than half of the positions on defense so it's not like they'd have to get rid of a lot of great players to make the transition. I've never been a huge fan of the 3-4 but the hybrid the Ravens use is effective and the top defenses in the league are mostly 3-4 teams. I think a big reason it is keeping QBs guessing where the pressure is coming from and it puts an extra defender or two in that short to intermediate area taking away some of the short quick passes.

As far as STs I think that's a given. On offense Linehan needs to realize this isn't Minnesota and he doesn't have Chris Carter and Robert Smith along with a beefy O-line. If he doesn't start mixing things up I'd actually like to see what Buffalo's OC Modkins could do with Stafford and CJ. He can make an undrafted RB in Fred Jackson look good behind an O-line that makes Detroit's look above average, while making Stevie Johnson and Fitzpatrick a pretty potetnt QB/WR duo.

There's time for loyalty and then there's time to say, "Sorry guys you just aren't getting it done."

On a side note can they get a new strength & conditioning coach,something they have needed for about a decade. I watch these other teams play and I'm just amazed how big, fast, and jacked they look and then I see Detroit and outside of a few guys they look soft, slow, and easily pushed around.

October 3rd, 2012, 3:12 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Lot of rookies on our ST unit. I think it could help to get some more veteran leadership there.

October 3rd, 2012, 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4