View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 1st Ballot HOF 
Hall of Fame Player

Post 1st Ballot HOF
If Cabrera holds on and wins the triple crown, I think he goes from being a future hall of famer to a sure bet 1st ballot hall of famer.
I was born in 1966. The triple crown of baseball has only been won 2 other times in my lifetime.

1966 Frank Robinson and 1967 Yaz

Last edited by BillySims on October 3rd, 2012, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 3rd, 2012, 9:06 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: 1st Ballot HOF
He did it.

So far for this year:

Triple crown - Ave. + HR's + RBI's
AL 3B Silver slugger - Highest batting average for your position
MVP? Most likely.

October 3rd, 2012, 10:35 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
BillySims wrote:
He did it.

So far for this year:

Triple crown - Ave. + HR's + RBI's
AL 3B Silver slugger - Highest batting average for your position
MVP? Most likely.

Yes, better get it.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 3rd, 2012, 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

AL MVP belongs to the Tigers. Verlander won last year. Can Fielder win it next year? LOL.

October 3rd, 2012, 11:16 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
MLB Press Release

10/03/2012 10:33 PM EST
Statements from Frank Robinson, Carl Yastrzemski and Commissioner Selig on Miguel Cabrera’s Triple Crown
Tigers All-Star captures baseball’s first Triple Crown since 1967

The only two living winners of the Triple Crown, Hall of Famers Frank Robinson (1966) and Carl Yastrzemski (1967), issued the following statements tonight regarding Miguel Cabrera’s finishing the 2012 regular season as the American League’s leader in batting average (.330), home runs (44) and RBI (139). Cabrera, a native of Venezuela, has become the first Latino-born winner of the Triple Crown, and his achievement ends the longest gap between Triple Crowns in Baseball history.

Robinson, MLB’s Executive Vice President for Baseball Development, said: “I congratulate Miguel Cabrera on winning the Triple Crown. Miguel has been outstanding all year long by coming to play every day, showing his discipline at the plate and making the most of his great talent. For me, earning the batting title over Tony Oliva, who we played against in the last series of the year, was the hardest part, and for Miguel, I am sure it was even more challenging, given all the specialized relievers in the game today. Most importantly, Miguel and the Tigers now have the opportunity to participate in the most exciting month of the baseball season. This is an incredible accomplishment for a gifted young man, and Miguel should be proud of his all-around excellence and consistency throughout the season.”

Yastrzemski said: “I would like to extend my sincere congratulations to Miguel Cabrera on winning the Triple Crown. I am glad that he accomplished this while leading his team to the American League Central title. I was fortunate enough to win this award in 1967 as part of the Red Sox Impossible Dream Team. I am sure Frank Robinson joins me in commending Miguel in reaching this significant milestone in his career.”

Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig said: “It is an honor to congratulate Miguel Cabrera on earning the Triple Crown, a remarkable achievement that places him amongst an elite few in all of Baseball history. Miguel has long been one of the most accomplished hitters in the game, and this recognition is one that he will be able to cherish for the rest of his career in baseball and beyond. As the Tigers prepare for the Postseason, we have a global stage to witness Miguel’s talent, which will go down as one of the hallmarks of Major League Baseball’s extraordinary 2012 regular season.”

October 3rd, 2012, 11:23 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Also, The KC Royals, as always are a high class organization. They never pitched around Cabby all series. And once the triple crown was official displayed a congratulatory statement on their Jumbotron. I wish the royals were in a different division so I could like them more. Even with them as a division opponent, it is hard for me to dislike them. I guess it's because when we were in the AL East and KC was in the AL West I always liked them because of George Bret.

October 3rd, 2012, 11:32 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
Also, The KC Royals, as always are a high class organization. They never pitched around Cabby all series. And once the triple crown was official displayed a congratulatory statement on their Jumbotron. I wish the royals were in a different division so I could like them more. Even with them as a division opponent, it is hard for me to dislike them. I guess it's because when we were in the AL East and KC was in the AL West I always liked them because of George Bret.

Agree. Very classy move by KC.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 3rd, 2012, 11:35 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Agree. Very classy move by KC.

Big ups for KC, must be tough cheering for a bad team every year.. oh wait...

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 3rd, 2012, 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Unfortunately, I think the media and the writers are so obsessed with Trout that Miggy won't win the MVP.

Trout is a phenomenal player, in every facet of the game. The guy has 27 2Bs, 30 HRs, 40+ steals, 80+ RBIs, over 125 runs scored and hit a #2 AL .326, plus he played damn near GG defense in CF. The guy is unreal. However, Miggy has absolutely ripped it up down the stretch. He's hit .350+ in August and .310(ish) in September. Trout hit a whopping .250(ish) in September. Certainly didn't help the A's do much down the stretch when they needed it. Remember when he was hitting .350 and it was simply not dropping? The guy hit .350 for months, then it dropped by almost 30 points over the span of a month.

There's no taking away what Trout did, but Miggy has played a damn good 3B so far this year, but as far as what M.V.P stands for...Miggy has it all the way. The guy won the division for this team.

October 4th, 2012, 12:54 am
Team MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Unfortunately, I think the media and the writers are so obsessed with Trout that Miggy won't win the MVP.

Trout is a phenomenal player, in every facet of the game. The guy has 27 2Bs, 30 HRs, 40+ steals, 80+ RBIs, over 125 runs scored and hit a #2 AL .326, plus he played damn near GG defense in CF. The guy is unreal. However, Miggy has absolutely ripped it up down the stretch. He's hit .350+ in August and .310(ish) in September. Trout hit a whopping .250(ish) in September. Certainly didn't help the A's do much down the stretch when they needed it. Remember when he was hitting .350 and it was simply not dropping? The guy hit .350 for months, then it dropped by almost 30 points over the span of a month.

There's no taking away what Trout did, but Miggy has played a damn good 3B so far this year, but as far as what M.V.P stands for...Miggy has it all the way. The guy won the division for this team.

I agreee. I think Miguel has MVP wrapped up...or he SHOULD have it at least. Its the media, like you said, that scares me.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 4th, 2012, 12:01 pm
Stats Boy

If he hadn't won the triple crown, I think it would have been a toss up as to who wins the MVP. But just doing that alone I think propels him to the top though there would be no difference in his season if say...Hamilton overtook him in home runs on the last day. But props to Trout too. He's a great story and talent which is why the media loves him, and it took an all-time great season from our guy to beat him out. I don't see any sharp decline from Miggy for years to come, he's flat out just a great hitter. That should punch his ticket to Cooperstown fairly easily.

October 4th, 2012, 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]