View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 4:29 am



Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Delmas back at practice and isn't limited 
Author Message
Towel Boy

Joined: October 3rd, 2012, 11:44 am
Posts: 2
Post Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/10/0 ... ice-field/

That's good news. Getting him back will really help our secondary.


October 3rd, 2012, 1:07 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3166
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
Hope he's ready to come back after the bye. Should be a big boost to the defense.


October 3rd, 2012, 1:26 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9848
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
CaptainBlue wrote:
http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/10/03/lions-get-louis-delmas-back-on-the-practice-field/

That's good news. Getting him back will really help our secondary.


Yes, but for how long? I give an over/under of six games before he gets hurt and misses more time.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 3rd, 2012, 1:26 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3709
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
m2karateman wrote:
CaptainBlue wrote:
http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/10/03/lions-get-louis-delmas-back-on-the-practice-field/

That's good news. Getting him back will really help our secondary.


Yes, but for how long? I give an over/under of six games before he gets hurt and misses more time.

Ill take you up on the under.I give him 4 games. :\

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


October 3rd, 2012, 1:30 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3305
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
Not to be a downer here, but even though this is good news, he might want to be healthy for every game from now until the end of the year if he wants to stay a Lion.

Nice boost for the D though.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 3rd, 2012, 2:06 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
If the Lions are serious about putting a consistant winning team on the field I can't see him being back next year. He will be looking to get paid (hasn't earned a big payday) and can't be counted on to make it on the field. Not to mention he's not a playmaker, Delmas has 2 FFs and 2 INTS with just 14 Pdef. To me that screams a player that is often out of position and/or late to make the read.

I don't care how pumped and jazzed up he is coming out of the tunnel or what sound bited he puts out there for the fans and media to eat up, at the end of the day he just hasn't shown enough on the field to get the love he gets from Lion fans. If he wasn't wearing a Lions' uniform there wouldn't be much call from the fan base to get him into Detroit as a FA. The bad part is the FA market is looking pretty weak in the DB department especially at S.


October 3rd, 2012, 2:23 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
sweetd20 wrote:
If the Lions are serious about putting a consistant winning team on the field I can't see him being back next year. He will be looking to get paid (hasn't earned a big payday) and can't be counted on to make it on the field. Not to mention he's not a playmaker, Delmas has 2 FFs and 2 INTS with just 14 Pdef. To me that screams a player that is often out of position and/or late to make the read.

I don't care how pumped and jazzed up he is coming out of the tunnel or what sound bited he puts out there for the fans and media to eat up, at the end of the day he just hasn't shown enough on the field to get the love he gets from Lion fans. If he wasn't wearing a Lions' uniform there wouldn't be much call from the fan base to get him into Detroit as a FA. The bad part is the FA market is looking pretty weak in the DB department especially at S.


I'll have to disagree. Dude makes everyone in the secondary's job easier. He hasn't been healthy since the start of the Green Bay Thanksgiving game last year, so he'll likely be a bit rusty, but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.

_________________
Image


October 3rd, 2012, 2:56 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3305
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
Shotty wrote:
but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.


Maybe.

And i know its a matter of opinion, but what has he done on the field besides his rookie season that makes you think he is top 10 material? Just curious.

I understand he may make the guys around him better, but sometimes he has to make plays himself, and THAT i just dont see too often.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 3rd, 2012, 3:22 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
In no particular order I'd take Weddle, Byrd, Jenkins, Goldson, Reed, Landry, Clark, Manning, Griffin, Coleman, maybe even Chung and that's not counting guys that are playing SS that have FS skills.


October 3rd, 2012, 3:32 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11932
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.
Maybe.

And i know its a matter of opinion, but what has he done on the field besides his rookie season that makes you think he is top 10 material? Just curious.

I understand he may make the guys around him better, but sometimes he has to make plays himself, and THAT i just dont see too often.
Not too mention he actually has to be ON the field in order to make those around better

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 3rd, 2012, 3:33 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1332
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
If I were Mayhew I would let Delmas explore free agency and if the price is low I would look to try to keep him and if someone is dumb enough to offer big money I would just let him walk. He's not a Polumalu or even as good as Sanders was for the Colts, so there is no way to justify paying him on the chance he maybe stay healthy for a season. This is the same reason Washington let Landry go.


October 3rd, 2012, 3:46 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: December 18th, 2008, 9:18 am
Posts: 725
Location: Where I lay my head is home
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
That great news, maybe this is the shot in the arm the team needs.

On a related note, is Atogwe that injured? If he can even move around limping, I'd bring him in at a vet minimum. I'm sure he can't be much worse than what we have right now.


October 3rd, 2012, 5:59 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2166
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
I love it. I hope Silva ends up as the SS.

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


October 4th, 2012, 4:05 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9848
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
Shotty wrote:
I'll have to disagree. Dude makes everyone in the secondary's job easier. He hasn't been healthy since the start of the Green Bay Thanksgiving game last year, so he'll likely be a bit rusty, but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.


He is a better player than the rest of the safeties on our roster, I'll give you that. But a top ten FS in the NFL?! Sorry, but no way is that true. Too many missed tackles, too often taking bad angles, too often going for the hit instead of the ball. Louis Delmas is playing out of position at FS. He's better suited, mentality wise, to play strong safety. However, his body isn't up to the task. He had a really impressive rookie season, but that's about it. Since then, he's been above average when he's on the field, but not even close to elite. And because of his time missed, his rank among free safeties in the NFL puts him somewhere in the mid to bottom third, in my opinion. He doesn't make enough plays, period. He's not a game changer. He's not a ball hawk.

With the limitations put on defensive players on hitting defenseless receivers and helmet to helmet contact, Delmas has to rely on something other than fear. And quite frankly, he's got nothing else in the toolbox. He's not fast enough and not polished enough to become a ball hawker. The Lions need to put him in there as a strong safety, supporting the run defense first, pass defense second. We NEED a safety who plays like a corner. We need someone like an Eric Berry.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 4th, 2012, 8:25 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2276
Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
I'll have to disagree. Dude makes everyone in the secondary's job easier. He hasn't been healthy since the start of the Green Bay Thanksgiving game last year, so he'll likely be a bit rusty, but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.


He is a better player than the rest of the safeties on our roster, I'll give you that. But a top ten FS in the NFL?! Sorry, but no way is that true. Too many missed tackles, too often taking bad angles, too often going for the hit instead of the ball. Louis Delmas is playing out of position at FS. He's better suited, mentality wise, to play strong safety. However, his body isn't up to the task. He had a really impressive rookie season, but that's about it. Since then, he's been above average when he's on the field, but not even close to elite. And because of his time missed, his rank among free safeties in the NFL puts him somewhere in the mid to bottom third, in my opinion. He doesn't make enough plays, period. He's not a game changer. He's not a ball hawk.

With the limitations put on defensive players on hitting defenseless receivers and helmet to helmet contact, Delmas has to rely on something other than fear. And quite frankly, he's got nothing else in the toolbox. He's not fast enough and not polished enough to become a ball hawker. The Lions need to put him in there as a strong safety, supporting the run defense first, pass defense second. We NEED a safety who plays like a corner. We need someone like an Eric Berry.


Amen


October 4th, 2012, 10:51 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.