View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Delmas back at practice and isn't limited 
Team MVP

Post Re: Delmas back at practice and isn't limited
DJ-B wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
I'll have to disagree. Dude makes everyone in the secondary's job easier. He hasn't been healthy since the start of the Green Bay Thanksgiving game last year, so he'll likely be a bit rusty, but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.

He is a better player than the rest of the safeties on our roster, I'll give you that. But a top ten FS in the NFL?! Sorry, but no way is that true. Too many missed tackles, too often taking bad angles, too often going for the hit instead of the ball. Louis Delmas is playing out of position at FS. He's better suited, mentality wise, to play strong safety. However, his body isn't up to the task. He had a really impressive rookie season, but that's about it. Since then, he's been above average when he's on the field, but not even close to elite. And because of his time missed, his rank among free safeties in the NFL puts him somewhere in the mid to bottom third, in my opinion. He doesn't make enough plays, period. He's not a game changer. He's not a ball hawk.

With the limitations put on defensive players on hitting defenseless receivers and helmet to helmet contact, Delmas has to rely on something other than fear. And quite frankly, he's got nothing else in the toolbox. He's not fast enough and not polished enough to become a ball hawker. The Lions need to put him in there as a strong safety, supporting the run defense first, pass defense second. We NEED a safety who plays like a corner. We need someone like an Eric Berry.

Amen

X2

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'd rather put someone like Berry next to Delmas. When he was healthy, I don't remember ANYONE challenging him deep last year. with Delmas back there, I think the defense won't look as conservative. As a team, I think we led the NFL in picks last year through 10 games. After he was hurt, we picked off 3 balls in those last 7 games. He does miss some tackles but The team needs a vocal and emotional leader right now and thats his biggest asset along with knowing the playbook better than probably everyone on defense.

My only problem with him is his durability issues.

October 4th, 2012, 12:44 pm
Pro Bowl Player

kdsberman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
I'll have to disagree. Dude makes everyone in the secondary's job easier. He hasn't been healthy since the start of the Green Bay Thanksgiving game last year, so he'll likely be a bit rusty, but IMO he's a top 10 free safety.

He is a better player than the rest of the safeties on our roster, I'll give you that. But a top ten FS in the NFL?! Sorry, but no way is that true. Too many missed tackles, too often taking bad angles, too often going for the hit instead of the ball. Louis Delmas is playing out of position at FS. He's better suited, mentality wise, to play strong safety. However, his body isn't up to the task. He had a really impressive rookie season, but that's about it. Since then, he's been above average when he's on the field, but not even close to elite. And because of his time missed, his rank among free safeties in the NFL puts him somewhere in the mid to bottom third, in my opinion. He doesn't make enough plays, period. He's not a game changer. He's not a ball hawk.

With the limitations put on defensive players on hitting defenseless receivers and helmet to helmet contact, Delmas has to rely on something other than fear. And quite frankly, he's got nothing else in the toolbox. He's not fast enough and not polished enough to become a ball hawker. The Lions need to put him in there as a strong safety, supporting the run defense first, pass defense second. We NEED a safety who plays like a corner. We need someone like an Eric Berry.

Amen

X2

Statistically there is no argument here. But for some odd reason, he does make the defense better. or did - at this point who know's what he will bring to the table.

So as much as I hate to agree (not because I don't like to agree to M2K but because I want to believe he is elite) I think he should be moved to the SS role next year and the Lions have to find a true FS.

Secondary and special teams should be the only thing the Lions add. Every other position can hold its own. For now, I just hope he is an upgrade to the defense, and contributes to some W's.

October 5th, 2012, 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Delmas missed 7 games his first 3 years, so he's played in 80% of his games in his career. You guys act like he is on the field less than half the time. To me that's not an injury prone guy. He makes plays and no doubt makes our team better. I think most people on here wouldn't say stafford is injury prone just a few freak injuries. He has played 36 games out of 52. Delmas has played 41 and plays a more physical position.

October 5th, 2012, 2:57 pm

ZAndrews81 wrote:
Delmas missed 7 games his first 3 years, so he's played in 80% of his games in his career. You guys act like he is on the field less than half the time. To me that's not an injury prone guy. He makes plays and no doubt makes our team better. I think most people on here wouldn't say stafford is injury prone just a few freak injuries. He has played 36 games out of 52. Delmas has played 41 and plays a more physical position.

nice numbers, Z. He gets knocked for his lack of INTs but you dont seem too many balls ripped pass him either. He made Spievey look like a beast. I cant wait to get him back.

October 5th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
He made Spievey look like a beast. I cant wait to get him back.

Woah woah woah......AM I MISSING SOMETHING? Which Spievey are you talking about? Im waiting for him to get up to "good" let alone "beast".

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

October 5th, 2012, 4:04 pm

He may have exaggerated with Beast, but i think he was just pointing out that with Delmas in Spievey looked servicable. With Delmas out, Spievy fell behind last years Backups and looks like a turd.

It was a compliment to delmas, not spievey.

October 5th, 2012, 4:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:
He may have exaggerated with Beast, but i think he was just pointing out that with Delmas in Spievey looked servicable. With Delmas out, Spievy fell behind last years Backups and looks like a turd.

It was a compliment to delmas, not spievey.

exactly

October 6th, 2012, 1:27 am
RIP Killer

ZAndrews81 wrote:

And he's missed four more this season. His injury time has escalated year over year, and there have been times he's played while he's injured and has been less than stellar as a result. Understand that we aren't blaming Delmas for anything, and not calling him garbage. He is the best safety the Lions have. But that doesn't make him an elite level safety in the NFL, as some have proclaimed. Delmas could be even better if the Lions would get someone to pair him with that could be the ball hawker and allow Delmas to be the enforcer.

No one has said that the Lions are worse with Delmas in the secondary, quite the contrary. But it's a simple matter that with his ever increasing rate of injuries, he can't be relied upon to stay in the lineup. This current staff MUST get another quality (I would consider Delmas a quality player, but not elite) safety.....at least one. Two would be even better.

October 6th, 2012, 10:40 am
Stadium Announcer

The 4 games he missed this year were included in the percentage. It's actually 78.8% not including the playoff game which he played. I believe he is a very good safety and could be a top S. He's no Ed Reed or Polamalu but who is, those are first ballot HoFs. I agree we need to get him some help back there and we want to have good depth at every position, not just S. I think it also has to deal with where we have drafted. I loved Earl Thomas more than E Berry but the year they were there we took Suh, which was a no brainer. The next year the top 2 safetys picked were R Moore(not very good) and Jaiquan Jarrett(already cut) and both were 2nd rounders. This year Barron went ahead of us and Harrison Smith wouldnt have provided good value and we did land our LT of the future. So I dont think we have had a shot at a top S since we took Delmas. A guy like Kam Chancellor(absolute beast) was availabe but he was a 5th round gem, you're not gonna get those every year.

October 6th, 2012, 11:40 am
Butkus Award Winner

Guys, look up how many picks our D had with Delmas playing (games up to the GB November game) and how many we had when he went down; you'll be surprised. He is to our defense what Urlacher is (or was) to the Bears. Yes, he himself may not catch lots of picks, but he makes it so he's daring QBs to throw near him, which is why we had so many picks with him playing. Our D will be top 10 overall with him, guaranteed.

October 6th, 2012, 12:46 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
Guys, look up how many picks our D had with Delmas playing (games up to the GB November game) and how many we had when he went down; you'll be surprised. He is to our defense what Urlacher is (or was) to the Bears. Yes, he himself may not catch lots of picks, but he makes it so he's daring QBs to throw near him, which is why we had so many picks with him playing. Our D will be top 10 overall with him, guaranteed.

I hope your guarantee is right, but I just dont see it.

In my opinion, I dont think QBs are shaking in their cleats when hes on the field. They definitily are well aware, but I dont think hes someone offensive coordinators lose sleep over gameplanning for him. Hes good. But his replacement plan HAS to be considered.

October 6th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

We're #10 overall right now, #9 against the pass, #15 against the run, so even if he did nothing special, you're guarantee would hold up. That's not enough.

But our safeties are so bad, it won't take much to improve. Two rookies next year can step in and do a better job than they have this year.

October 6th, 2012, 2:16 pm
Stadium Announcer

Thats only because the last 2 games ST and D has taken 5 drives away from the other offense.

October 6th, 2012, 3:06 pm
Heisman Winner

Numbers are nice and all, but the fact is that the man is always fighting the fact that he is hurt. Generally from some non conctact injury it seems. LAst year Stafford played every game. Delmas I think has yet to do that in his career. Maybe he is like Batch, a solid player who cannot hold up to the physical grind of the sport. I think the Lions need to make a S a priority next season for sure. At least one starter and perhaps a developmental guy. No more early recievers please.

October 7th, 2012, 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next