View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 9:27 pm



Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7498
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
DJ-B wrote:
The last 4 interview articles I read all make me feel like that, and then even the article about Staff to CJ getting "gameplanned for" so of course it takes him away is ridiculous.

Uh , wghat has every topflight receiver of the past 20 years dealt with. People doubleteam Fitzgerald, they doubleteam Andre Johnson, they doubleteam all teams top #1 receivers if they are the #1 option, and those guys still catch touchdowns and balls. Maybe not 1600 yds + 16tds, but they do.

It was the lamest excuse in the book. Ill look for the article. I saw it on my phone on ESPN Mobile, but cant find it on ESPN right now.


Especially, since Calvin has already proven that he can beat triple coverage. Remember last year in Dallas anyone?


October 6th, 2012, 9:16 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7498
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
Growler wrote:
The way this team has looked so far, I can't see them getting past either the Eagles or the Bears, especially on the road. If you can't beat the Vikings at home, how the heck could you beat either of those two better teams on the road unless you luck out and they self-destruct?

In 2.5 weeks the Lions will be 1-5.


That's the way I see it also. My original predictions for the Lions this season were correct. Then I bought in to everyone else's hype about the Lions and based my final predictions on that hype. I should have known better.


October 6th, 2012, 9:21 am
Profile
Varsity 1st Team
User avatar

Joined: August 8th, 2004, 8:57 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Indianapolis
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
m2karateman wrote:

Get new guys, get a new scheme, or find a new coach. Thhose are the only options available. Doing all three may be the true answer.

One other option. KICK THE BALL OUT OF THE ENDZONE OR PUNT THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! No catch ball = no TD. Ball on the 20 used to be the goal. When they moved the kickoff up now the goals seams to be pin them behind the 20. The 20 is fine with me. I dont see many lions games in indy, but I assume that Hanson still has the leg to boot it out. Used to see angled punts out of bounds a bunch in the 70s and 80s, dont know what happened to that. That art seamed to go extinct with those punters and I assume the new breads dont practice it.

_________________
K-Mart


October 8th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2347
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
K-Mart wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Get new guys, get a new scheme, or find a new coach. Thhose are the only options available. Doing all three may be the true answer.

One other option. KICK THE BALL OUT OF THE ENDZONE OR PUNT THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! No catch ball = no TD. Ball on the 20 used to be the goal. When they moved the kickoff up now the goals seams to be pin them behind the 20. The 20 is fine with me. I dont see many lions games in indy, but I assume that Hanson still has the leg to boot it out. Used to see angled punts out of bounds a bunch in the 70s and 80s, dont know what happened to that. That art seamed to go extinct with those punters and I assume the new breads dont practice it.


That's the problem--don't think Hanson can consistently kick it out of the endzone. One of the few signs of his age.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 8th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Profile
Varsity 1st Team
User avatar

Joined: August 8th, 2004, 8:57 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Indianapolis
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
thelomasbrowns wrote:
K-Mart wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Get new guys, get a new scheme, or find a new coach. Thhose are the only options available. Doing all three may be the true answer.

One other option. KICK THE BALL OUT OF THE ENDZONE OR PUNT THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS! No catch ball = no TD. Ball on the 20 used to be the goal. When they moved the kickoff up now the goals seams to be pin them behind the 20. The 20 is fine with me. I dont see many lions games in indy, but I assume that Hanson still has the leg to boot it out. Used to see angled punts out of bounds a bunch in the 70s and 80s, dont know what happened to that. That art seamed to go extinct with those punters and I assume the new breads dont practice it.


That's the problem--don't think Hanson can consistently kick it out of the endzone. One of the few signs of his age.

Another idea. Cut the guy that cant tackle the return man and add another kicker that can boot the ball. Maybe Beckem can work on Sundays?

_________________
K-Mart


October 8th, 2012, 1:27 pm
Profile
Fair Weather Fan

Joined: October 8th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Posts: 6
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
Wow, settle down chicken little...


October 8th, 2012, 5:39 pm
Profile
Fair Weather Fan

Joined: October 8th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Posts: 6
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
And for the record, I happen to know Growler. He used to post on ESPN before they changed formats. He was a clown and a fool on that site, and obviously things haven't changed.


October 8th, 2012, 5:55 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9958
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
Relionme wrote:
And for the record, I happen to know Growler. He used to post on ESPN before they changed formats. He was a clown and a fool on that site, and obviously things haven't changed.


First of all, welcome to Lionbacker. Second of all, what Growler has said doesn't make him a clown, here or anywhere else. Do YOU see the Lions being able to beat the Eagles or Bears based on their play the first four weeks? Cause if you do, I'd like a pair of those rose colored glasses and some of the chronic you've been tokin'.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


October 8th, 2012, 6:01 pm
Profile
Fair Weather Fan

Joined: October 8th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Posts: 6
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
m2karateman wrote:
Relionme wrote:
And for the record, I happen to know Growler. He used to post on ESPN before they changed formats. He was a clown and a fool on that site, and obviously things haven't changed.


First of all, welcome to Lionbacker. Second of all, what Growler has said doesn't make him a clown, here or anywhere else. Do YOU see the Lions being able to beat the Eagles or Bears based on their play the first four weeks? Cause if you do, I'd like a pair of those rose colored glasses and some of the chronic you've been tokin'.


Thanks.

Over-reaction and emotional outbursts are certainly charactaristics of a fool.

That said, we will not beat the Bears. The Eagles, however, are a different story. I think we have a decent shot at beating them, in Philly, as Vick has not shown the ability to protect the football and manage games. Both teams were over rated prior to the start of the season, but I think if the Lions can start fast, we have a shot at beating the Eagles. Both the Eagles and the Lions play the Wide-9 on defense, and that gives the offenses a leg up in this game. And lets not forget, if it weren't for abysmal STs play, the Lions would have won at least one of the past two games. Our back 7 played exceptionally well against Minnesota, and while out DL is grossly underachieving, I think we can all agree that the Lions are a better team than they have shown so far this season. 2 weeks to prepare against the Eagles, 2 weeks to put together a STs plan to cover our weakness (kick the ball out of bounds every time if you have to, for Christ sakes), and an Eagles team with little to no offensive continuity equals a potential victory, though if I were a betting man, my money would be on Philly.


October 8th, 2012, 6:16 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9958
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
Relionme wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Relionme wrote:
And for the record, I happen to know Growler. He used to post on ESPN before they changed formats. He was a clown and a fool on that site, and obviously things haven't changed.


First of all, welcome to Lionbacker. Second of all, what Growler has said doesn't make him a clown, here or anywhere else. Do YOU see the Lions being able to beat the Eagles or Bears based on their play the first four weeks? Cause if you do, I'd like a pair of those rose colored glasses and some of the chronic you've been tokin'.


Thanks.

Over-reaction and emotional outbursts are certainly charactaristics of a fool.


Then you will find that all of us are fools from time to time. Over-reaction and emotional outbursts come from people who care. If we didn't care, we wouldn't have any emotional investment in this team, and we wouldn't be posting on this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not reading you the riot act. You are more than entitled to your opinion. I just think getting on someone for getting upset with subpar play on the part of a team that most of us predicted to be 3-1 at this point is a bit unfair. But, to each their own.

Relionme wrote:
That said, we will not beat the Bears. The Eagles, however, are a different story. I think we have a decent shot at beating them, in Philly, as Vick has not shown the ability to protect the football and manage games. Both teams were over rated prior to the start of the season, but I think if the Lions can start fast, we have a shot at beating the Eagles. Both the Eagles and the Lions play the Wide-9 on defense, and that gives the offenses a leg up in this game. And lets not forget, if it weren't for abysmal STs play, the Lions would have won at least one of the past two games. Our back 7 played exceptionally well against Minnesota, and while out DL is grossly underachieving, I think we can all agree that the Lions are a better team than they have shown so far this season. 2 weeks to prepare against the Eagles, 2 weeks to put together a STs plan to cover our weakness (kick the ball out of bounds every time if you have to, for Christ sakes), and an Eagles team with little to no offensive continuity equals a potential victory, though if I were a betting man, my money would be on Philly.


I agree with what you say here. However, I think the Lions are in a bit more of a funk than the Eagles. They played pretty well against Pittsburgh yesterday, and are probably pretty hungry to face the struggling Lions now. Most people felt the Eagles would underachieve once again. Mostly because Michael Vick is extremely overrated, and has been his entire career. That said, the Lions traditionally sh!t the bed the week after their bye week.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


October 8th, 2012, 6:33 pm
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 548
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
Relionme wrote:
And for the record, I happen to know Growler. He used to post on ESPN before they changed formats. He was a clown and a fool on that site, and obviously things haven't changed.


OMG, wow. Is it possible that you might be confusing me with a different Growler? In fact, I've never used the handle "Growler" anywhere except for this forum. Also, I've never posted on the ESPN site. I was, however, on the Detroit Lions email listserve for years starting in the mid-90's, but not under the name of Growler.


October 10th, 2012, 7:34 am
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Season is Over. Time to Fire the Special Teams Coach
Growler wrote:
Relionme wrote:
And for the record, I happen to know Growler. He used to post on ESPN before they changed formats. He was a clown and a fool on that site, and obviously things haven't changed.


OMG, wow. Is it possible that you might be confusing me with a different Growler? In fact, I've never used the handle "Growler" anywhere except for this forum. Also, I've never posted on the ESPN site. I was, however, on the Detroit Lions email listserve for years starting in the mid-90's, but not under the name of Growler.


It's you're long lost brother :lol:

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


October 10th, 2012, 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.