View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions' problems much deeper than awful special teams 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Lions' problems much deeper than awful special teams
Hystrix wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
njroar wrote:
This is someone just taking digs.

Spot on. Whilst there was some truth to what was said, so much of it was so obviously extreme it's pretty obvious they were just taking digs.

Still, I hope someone shows those comments to some Lions players ...

Yeah, that stuff he said about Suh was just garbage.

And I agree what was said erlier, take away the bad special teams and we are 3-1 and that article is never written...

That what right there...

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 9th, 2012, 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

DetNews wrote:
Lions: Underachievers or frauds? We'll find out in the upcoming weeks
October 8, 2012 at 1:00 am
Chris McCosky

Allen Park — Who exactly are these Detroit Lions?

Are they a legitimate playoff contender off to an inexplicably slow start, or are they, as ESPN's Michael Wilbon called them recently, a "fraudulent" football team?

The next couple of weeks will go a long way toward answering that question. They come out of the bye week with stiff road tests at Philadelphia Sunday and at Chicago on Monday Night Football, Oct. 22.

They cannot lose both of those games and maintain any realistic playoff aspirations, not with two games remaining against Green Bay, road games at Minnesota and Arizona and home games against Houston, Atlanta and Chicago.

But are the Lions' frauds? Was their 10-6 season a year ago a fluke? You can certainly make a case for that, as many national pundits have.

Not one of those 10 wins came against a playoff team a year ago. Four of those games required near-miracle comebacks. And, since starting last season 5-0, the Lions have gone 6-10 including the playoff loss to the Saints.

They have won just one of their last seven road games.

Most of the problems that existed last season — shaky secondary play, spotty to horrid special teams play, minimal run game and an offense that is over-reliant on the big play — remain.

But I am stopping short of calling them frauds.

For one, the offensive firepower is legit. We've seen it. This two-deep shell game opposing defenses are deploying against Calvin Johnson and company won't shut this offense down forever.

Truth be told, it only worked for the 49ers and Vikings. The Lions amassed more than 40 points and 500 yards against the Titans and they moved the ball well against the Rams.

Good players making bad plays
The Lions have to run better and they are capable of doing that. Nobody is asking them to run for 400 yards a game; just be efficient. Mikel Leshoure has all the tools, but he has played just two games in more than two years. He will continue to acclimate to the NFL game and his production will increase.

Jahvid Best could also be back in the mix for the Bears game. What a huge lift he could provide. Those short passes in the flat that have been going for minimal yardage with Kevin Smith, Leshoure and Joique Bell have the potential to be more explosive with Best.

If there is one offensive weapon in the Lions' arsenal that could draw those safeties up closer to the line of scrimmage, it's Best.

But, again, there are no guarantees that he will be cleared or be as productive as he was before the head injury.

With or without Best, the offense is still better than it's shown in the first quarter of the season. The playmakers are there — Matthew Stafford, Johnson, Nate Burleson, Titus Young, Brandon Pettigrew, Tony Scheffler, Leshoure.

The struggles have been self-inflicted. There have been too many miscommunications, too many missed assignments on the line, too many bad throws and bad decisions by the quarterback, too many dropped balls by the tight end and receivers.

It's been a case of good players making bad plays. It would be a completely different conversation if we were talking about bad players making mistakes.

On top of that — or maybe because of that — the game plans and the play calling have been too passive, too reactive. There have been times, especially the last two weeks, where the Lions tried to trick the defense — quick-snap handoffs on third down, faking and botching a hard-count on fourth down, etc, — instead of making the defense stop their best plays.

This is all correctible. You have to trust the body of work here.

Stafford didn't forget how to the throw the football. You have to expect him to get back into that groove he was in most of last season.

Pettigrew owns all the team's single season receiving records for tight ends. You have to expect him to shake off whatever mental demons he's dealing with and start making big catches.

Johnson is still getting his touches. Before the bye week he was leading the league in receiving yardage and was second in receptions. The Lions just need to get a little more aggressive, a little more efficient when they get into the red zone.

The offense is not fraudulent.

Delmas to the rescue?
The defense? You can't call it fraudulent because the secondary was suspect coming into the season. It has been pretty much what we expected. The defensive line has been, for the most part, solid. It hasn't been as disruptive as they expect to be, but it still ranked ninth in sacks before the bye.

There haven't been many three-and-outs, but they've been stout when teams get into the red zone.

The problems here, again, are correctible: Rookie mistakes in the secondary (Bill Bentley not turning to find the ball), missed tackles and-or missed assignments leading to big plays, ill-timed penalties.

Safety Louis Delmas could be back this week. If he is, and if he can play at the level he was at before the knee injuries, it would be a huge boost. He would clean up a lot of the breakdowns in the back end that were leading to the explosive plays. He might be the most effective blitzer the Lions have. And, he would bring some long-missing swagger to the secondary.

This defense was one of the leading turnover-makers in football last season. They need to get back to that. It starts with the offense getting some early points to force opposing offenses to take more chances and be more one-dimensional, then it's a matter of the defensive line creating havoc up front which leads to mistakes by the quarterback and ultimately to turnovers.

Again, the talent is there to get that done.

As for the special teams, well, if that doesn't get fixed then there is no point in stressing over the offense and defense. There will be personnel changes on the coverage units, that much is certain.

It would be a shock if rookie Jonte Green remains as one of the gunners. It would be a shock if rookie Travis Lewis, healthy at last, did not replace Doug Hogue (or somebody else) on the kick and punt teams. It would be a shock if coach Jim Schwartz and special teams coordinator Danny Crossman didn't pull rookie Ronnell Lewis aside and remind him that he was not only drafted to lead these coverage units, his NFL future depends on his ability to do so.

Mostly though, you can expect veterans John Wendling, Kassim Osgood and Jason Hanson to pull this unit together, weed out the players who don't want to be there and get back to being, if not an excellent coverage unit, at least a competent one.

Just do what you do
I don't expect the Lions to fall off the grid this season. They may not make the playoffs — I was among those who didn't think they would repeat as a playoff team this season — but it would be extremely surprising and disappointing if they didn't pick themselves up and fight their way back into contention.

This isn't like the old days when the talent was sub-par in all three phases. This isn't like the old days when the coaching staff was overwhelmed. This isn't like the old days when the locker room was being pulled apart by various negative factions.

None of that is the case with this team. It just has to start playing better football.

One of Schwartz's strengths is his ability to compartmentalize things, to keep the focus trained only on what's immediately in front of the team. He won't allow the team to get bogged down by what's happened in the past or distracted by what could happen down the road.

"The thing that is most important is that our first four are done," he said. "The only thing we can do is play our last 12. We can't even play our last 12, we'll play one. We can play Philly. That's the only thing that's on our mind.

"You can dwell too much. You can also, and I don't think we have, but you can also just sort of brush things under the rug. We haven't done either one."

The Lions don't have to change schemes or blow up the roster or fire coaches. Nobody has to play out of their mind or do things they'd never done before. They have all the resources they need to get back on track.

They just have to get back to making basic plays that professional football players are paid to make.

It really is that simple.

Chris.mccosky@detnews.com

Twitter.com/cmccosky

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z28odkrF5F

October 9th, 2012, 11:31 am
RIP Killer

Well, goes to show what Chris McCosky knows...and why he is a rotten journalist.

Detroit beat Denver last season.

Correction.

Detroit DESTROYED Denver last season.

And did Denver not go to the playoffs? Did they not win their first playoff game?

Yet McCosky makes the same incorrect statement that many others have before him, that the Lions didn't beat a playoff team last season.

Chris...you're pathetic.

October 9th, 2012, 12:19 pm
Junior Varsity

I never thought they were a playoff team. They made no real moves last year to address their needs, so there you have it. Give this team a secondary and a running game, and look out. Not happening anytime soon, so maybe our special teams can win us a game or two, oh yeah, and then I woke up in a puddle.
Lions Football ](*,)

October 9th, 2012, 4:28 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
Well, goes to show what Chris McCosky knows...and why he is a rotten journalist.

Correction.

And did Denver not go to the playoffs? Did they not win their first playoff game?

Yet McCosky makes the same incorrect statement that many others have before him, that the Lions didn't beat a playoff team last season.

Chris...you're pathetic.

I agree McCosky sucks. Dave Birkett from Free Press and Justin Rogers from mlive are very good. I think Anwar from mlive and McCosky are awful

October 9th, 2012, 10:54 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Suh responds to anonymous G.M. criticism
Posted by Mike Florio on October 11, 2012, 8:28 AM EDT

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh currently isn’t dominant. After one G.M. reportedly spoke out anonymously regarding Suh’s recent performance, Suh opted to respond.

“True men [go on the record],” Suh said, via Anwar Richardson of MLive.com. “I don’t know who he is. I couldn’t tell you if he’s one.”

But then Suh sort of agreed with the criticism.

“Personally, I believe I had an average quarter,” Suh said. “I had some good things. Some not okay things, but it’s a work in progress. It’s early in the year. Still have a lot of time to play at a high level and stay consistent. That’s the biggest thing I want to focus on every week.”

“I have listened to the media hype about Suh since he got in the league — what has he done?” an unnamed G.M. told Pro Football Weekly. “Even the year he had all those garbage sacks, the guy took a million plays off and got pushed around in the run game. I have never thought he was a very good pro player. I liked him coming out and thought he had a chance. But I also never thought he was going to be the second coming that he was labeled. I am not sure who bestowed that on him, but it is kind of a joke.”

“People have their opinions,” Suh said. “That’s basically what it is to me. I don’t really pay attention to it. He’s a G.M. He’s supposed to be knowing what he’s talking about. That’s on to you guys’ discretion whether he’s right or not.”

Suh and the Lions would seem to have far bigger problems than whether an unnamed G.M. thinks Suh takes “a million plays off” or some lower amount. Suh and the Lions are 1-3 and facing the Eagles in Philly this weekend, which could make them 1-4, soon.

And if the Lions don’t turn things around, soon no one will be talking about the Lions at all — on or off the record.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... criticism/

October 11th, 2012, 11:03 am
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:

Correction.

Chris...you're pathetic.

It is possible that he doesn't consider Denver a legitimate playoff team behind Tim Tebow, in spite of what happened last year ... which was simply unbelievable. The games Tebow won, and how? Amazing. Anyone who has seen that guy try to play professional football has got to look at that stretch and say "whoa... how the hell did that ever happen ever?".

If you want to nitpick about the technicalities, and hang your hat on the absolute fact that Detroit hammered Denver before Denver went on their improbable run ... well that's fine. But don't expect other people to be convinced, as if the guy forgot that the Lions hammered the Patriots or Packers in a meaningful game. Know what I mean? Even though what you said is true ... it really isn't compelling.

To me, it's more impressive what Detroit did to Chicago in Detroit while Cutler and Forte were healthy. That was an impressive win.

October 12th, 2012, 5:52 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

This is getting GOOD!

Quote:
November 6, 2012
Anonymous GM calls Lions' Dominic Raiola 'a complete fraud'
http://www.freep.com/article/20121106/S ... y=nav|head
Posted by James Jahnke
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Did you think this was over? Think again.

About a month ago, an anonymous NFL general manager http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 2121009021">ripped the Detroit Lions in a Pro Football Weekly story, singling out Martin Mayhew, Jim Schwartz, Ndamukong Suh and Cliff Avril as overrated.

Team captain Dominic Raiola responded, http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 2121009074">calling the GM a "coward" for only speaking anonymously.

Today, the GM -- still anonymously -- http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/1 ... ornerbacks" target="_blank">fired back at Raiola on profootballweekly.com.

"I saw Dominic Raiola called me out, asking who the aimless, anonymous GM is who criticized the great Lions. ‘Who is this person?’ It’s the guy who rejects you every time he watches your tape and thinks you are a complete fraud. It’s the guy who didn’t think you could play when you came out of college and still doesn’t think you can play now. … If he spent as much time working the other muscles in his body as he does his jaw, he might have had the chance to be an average backup. You can put that in print.”

Hey, that guy who's not even good enough to be an average backup has been our starters for a decade!

But seriously, who is this GM? You can act pretty tough when no one knows who you are.

Update: Pro Football Weekly's editor reportedly has since http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/11/0 ... rd-raiola/" target="_blank">apologized for publishing the comments.

Quote:
ProFootballWeekly editor offers apology regarding latest “anonymous” comments toward Raiola
Posted by ttwentyman on November 6, 2012 – 4:17 pm
http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/11/0 ... rd-raiola/
One of the “anonymous” NFL general managers who doesn’t think much of the Lions was back on ProFootballWeekly.com talking about the organization once again today.
This time, remarks were geared toward Lions center Dominic Raiola.
Raiola, if you remember, called out the anonymous source for being cowardess a few weeks ago when a report printed on ProFootballWeekly cited two unnamed general managers saying Lions head coach Jim Schwartz and general manager Martin Mayhew were “overrated”, and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh belonged on the “All-Hype” team.
That source also said the Lions aren’t as close to being a consistently good team as some have tried to make it seem.
“If they had any (guts), they would say who they were,” Raiola said in response to the first article. “That’s kind of like a coward statement to me.”
One of those general managers obviously took offense to Raiola’s reaction, because this quote showed up on the website’s “Audibles” section today.
“I saw (Lions C) Dominic Raiola called me out, asking who the aimless, anonymous GM is who criticized the great Lions. ‘Who is this person?’ It’s the guy who rejects you every time he watches your tape and thinks you are a complete fraud,” the anonymous GM told the website.
“It’s the guy who didn’t think you could play when you came out of college and still doesn’t think you can play now. … If he spent as much time working the other muscles in his body as he does his jaw, he might have had the chance to be an average backup. You can put that in print.”
Raiola has started 164 games for the Lions over his 12-year career.
Detroitlions.com obtained an email from ProFootballWeekly editor Hub Arkush offering up his apology for printing the comments from an unnamed source directed toward Raiola.
The email was in response to an email sent to Arkush from a reader.
Arkush’s email read:
“You know what? You’re right and I hope you will accept my apologies. As the Publisher and Editor here this was totally my responsibility and I failed Pro Football Weekly, my staff and our readers.
“The Audibles section has been a thorn in my side for some time as I personally have several issues with it, but it is also one of the most popular features we run and the majority of our readers love it so I find myself stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can absolutely guarantee you every word in it comes from over – the – top credible sources but the restriction on getting such gritty, truth – off – the – bone commentary and analysis is if our sources agreed to be quoted most could lose their jobs. Do we give our readers this great, insiders’ analysis and commentary with our guarantee of the quality of the sources, or do we give you none of it because it is anonymous? I suspect you love it when it’s done right and not about your team.
“This was not done right. The original commentary on the Lions was fair and reasonable, as was Raiola’s reaction. But when Raiola called our critic out and we allowed him/her to take a second, personal and yet still anonymous shot at Raiola, that was over the line. You have my promise, we will do better. I’ve blind copied Martin Mayhew, Bill Keenist and Matt Barnhart, the Lions Director of Media Operations so that they can see my apology and in the hopes they will share it with Raiola and let him know that I would like the chance to apologize to him personally as well. I believe we get it right here 99% of the time but when you’re wrong, you’re wrong and I really appreciate you calling it to my attention. You are free to share this e – mail with whoever you like. Thank you, and thanks for reading PFW and taking the time to comment.”

November 6th, 2012, 4:38 pm
Raiola has sucked since we drafted him, and our OL has NEVER been good with him, period.

November 6th, 2012, 4:47 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Raiola has sucked since we drafted him, and our OL has NEVER been good with him, period.

Very few fans like him, but those anonymous comments are kinda bullsh**.

November 6th, 2012, 4:53 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Very few fans like him, but those anonymous comments are kinda bullsh**.

Why? I'm sure it would reflect badly of him and his organization if it were made public, so I don't mind the anonymity in this case. Looks like he stands by it, even when he's confronted with it.

November 6th, 2012, 4:54 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

these are comments that are made by a GM that simply reminds me of Matt Millen. Who shoots their mouth off like that about a 12 year veteran? No one is claiming Dom is an all pro, but the guy is a solid vet.

I hope this guy works for the NFC North and sucks as bad as he sounds like he should.

November 6th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I guess it depends on what you're definition of "good" is
Quote:
RUN BLOCKING
1 SF 5.10 5.31 67% 11 15% 4 1.68 1 0.93 9
2 BAL 4.68 4.70 70% 8 13% 1 1.37 6 0.78 15
3 MIN 4.45 5.38 62% 18 22% 25 1.42 4 1.65 1
4 SEA 4.43 4.52 65% 12 15% 2 1.32 8 0.65 21
5 BUF 4.40 5.38 44% 30 15% 5 1.45 2 1.23 5
6 NE 4.34 4.59 61% 20 18% 11 1.43 3 0.89 12
7 DET 4.34 4.06 44% 31 15% 7 1.22 14 0.31 31
8 NYG 4.32 4.47 69% 9 19% 17 1.19 16 0.94 8
9 SD 4.31 4.08 71% 7 15% 8 1.07 22 0.60 22
10 HOU 4.25 4.08 65% 13 19% 18 1.19 15 0.59 24
11 CIN 4.20 3.87 77% 4 15% 6 0.89 30 0.58 25
12 NYJ 4.18 3.90 94% 1 15% 3 0.89 29 0.59 23
13 TB 4.16 5.07 50% 28 21% 24 1.27 12 1.53 2
14 DEN 4.11 4.07 64% 15 19% 15 1.11 18 0.55 27
15 WAS 4.11 4.72 57% 24 18% 10 1.41 5 0.96 6
16 CHI 4.10 4.34 67% 10 21% 23 1.27 13 0.89 13

PASS PROTECTION
1 DEN 1 10 3.7%
2 NYG 2 9 3.7%
3 DAL 3 14 3.7%
4 BUF 4 11 4.1%
5 NE 5 14 4.4%
6 HOU 6 10 4.5%
7 CLE 7 14 4.5%
8 TB 8 11 4.5%
9 DET 9 15 4.6%
10 TEN 10 17 4.8%
11 MIA 11 15 4.9%
12 NO 12 15 5.0%
13 OAK 13 14 5.1%
14 SEA 14 15 5.7%
15 IND 15 19 6.2%
16 ATL 16 18 6.4%

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

November 6th, 2012, 5:44 pm
RIP Killer

Wags, it's wjb...blinders and negativity...

November 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I guess it depends on what you're definition of "good" is
Quote:
RUN BLOCKING
1 SF 5.10 5.31 67% 11 15% 4 1.68 1 0.93 9
2 BAL 4.68 4.70 70% 8 13% 1 1.37 6 0.78 15
3 MIN 4.45 5.38 62% 18 22% 25 1.42 4 1.65 1
4 SEA 4.43 4.52 65% 12 15% 2 1.32 8 0.65 21
5 BUF 4.40 5.38 44% 30 15% 5 1.45 2 1.23 5
6 NE 4.34 4.59 61% 20 18% 11 1.43 3 0.89 12
7 DET 4.34 4.06 44% 31 15% 7 1.22 14 0.31 31
8 NYG 4.32 4.47 69% 9 19% 17 1.19 16 0.94 8
9 SD 4.31 4.08 71% 7 15% 8 1.07 22 0.60 22
10 HOU 4.25 4.08 65% 13 19% 18 1.19 15 0.59 24
11 CIN 4.20 3.87 77% 4 15% 6 0.89 30 0.58 25
12 NYJ 4.18 3.90 94% 1 15% 3 0.89 29 0.59 23
13 TB 4.16 5.07 50% 28 21% 24 1.27 12 1.53 2
14 DEN 4.11 4.07 64% 15 19% 15 1.11 18 0.55 27
15 WAS 4.11 4.72 57% 24 18% 10 1.41 5 0.96 6
16 CHI 4.10 4.34 67% 10 21% 23 1.27 13 0.89 13

PASS PROTECTION
1 DEN 1 10 3.7%
2 NYG 2 9 3.7%
3 DAL 3 14 3.7%
4 BUF 4 11 4.1%
5 NE 5 14 4.4%
6 HOU 6 10 4.5%
7 CLE 7 14 4.5%
8 TB 8 11 4.5%
9 DET 9 15 4.6%
10 TEN 10 17 4.8%
11 MIA 11 15 4.9%
12 NO 12 15 5.0%
13 OAK 13 14 5.1%
14 SEA 14 15 5.7%
15 IND 15 19 6.2%
16 ATL 16 18 6.4%

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

You can post all of the rankings you want, our OL has sucked since drafting Raiola. We've never been able to get any push up the middle, and we've never been able to pick up 3rd and shorts on a consistent basis, regardless of how short.

I'd like to know how they do their stats.

November 7th, 2012, 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next