View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 7:59 pm



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Why should I vote for Romney? 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Why should I vote for Romney?
All right fellas (and fellettes, if there are any out there :shock: ). As many probably know, I will not be voting for the incumbent this election and am leaning towards 3rd party candidate Gary Johnson. Many of you have expressed your opinion that this would be 'wasting' my vote, although I thoroughly disagree, I'm willing to see if you all can convince me to vote for your man. So here's your chance; tell me why Mitt Romney should get my vote in the upcoming.

EDIT: PS: 'because he's not Obama' is not a sufficient answer IMO, I'm looking for reasons TO vote Mitt, not reasons to vote AGAINST Barack (there are plenty of those already).

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 16th, 2012, 9:15 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
First this is a decision that only YOU can make, but since it is your choice, I would like to highlight the things I look for in a President.

1. LEADERSHIP

2. INTEGRITY

3. CHARACTER

These three things are first and foremost on my radar, because during the election season all kinds of rumors, mistruths, some lies or distortions get spread around and it's hard to filter through that.

In comparing the two men side by side, there are two glaring difference in their personal upbringing.

Obama: Grandfather, Mother, and mentor were all devout Communists, or Communist sympathizers. The United States was/is a hated enemy of Communist thinking and the formative years of his upbringing were shaped during this time and under this environment.

Romney: was brought up in a very hard working, blue/brown collar American home. You lived and died by what you made from the sweat of your brow, and his family installed strong family values that have been perpetuated.

Who do they surround themselves with?

Obama: I can not even begin to list the people who are "anti-America" that surround his list of friends and cohorts. These people in some way shape or form have shaped him as well, or protected him.

Romney: Outside of his business partners, there is a wide variety of people who have shared the impact that Mitt Romney and his family have had on their lives. Stories like the 15 year old that Romney befriended while in office as Governor, and whom he mentored, while the young man was dying, speaks volumes to his character.

Obama: has used the Presidency, or Michelle has, as their own personal carte blanche to travel and do the things they might not have done.

Romney: according to what I understand he did not draw a salary as governor, nor did he draw a salary as President of the Olympic campaign either. The word is still out if he'll collect the 400k as President of the United States, but let's not count chickens eh? Again, speaks to leadership and character.

Obama: Job creation has been grossly inflated, debated, argued, and re-argued with number cooking and the like so the jury still has to be out on this.

Romney: Has a history of cleaning house, restructuring, and ultimately creating jobs that have seen many people succeed. In the same instance, those who've been "restructured" have seen their livelihoods changed, but the question remains, "Why were they restructured?" John Maxwell, a prominent leadership trainer stated, and I paraphrase, that when taking over a company the first thing you do is get rid of the leadership, because if the leadership was so sound, then why did it need help or purchasing?


Again the choice is yours, and although we can do the Coke/Pepsi debate, what we can not do is argue with the results. I am impressed with Ryan, and his qualities as a man, and a leader as well. I am also impressed that neither of these men are "one worlders" who would trade American Sovereignty for the sake of the UN.

So my question to you is, "On what basis to do you make your decision for President?" Is it a feeling, or is it based upon character, leadership, or other qualities of the man/woman that you'd like to see in office?

Remember, only one candidate has been transparent! One has shown more tax records than required at the request of the many, and the other still will not give the American people a straight answer on: Fast and Furious, Benghazi, and so on. That speaks to me about trust, and I can tell you I definitely don't trust one of them!

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


October 16th, 2012, 10:32 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
First off, yes I know this is a decision that only I can make; not sure where I may have led others to think otherwise.

Thanks for the response, but it appears to be a list of reasons of why NOT to vote for Obama. As was listed in my OP
Quote:
I'm looking for reasons TO vote Mitt, not reasons to vote AGAINST Barack (there are plenty of those already)
Perhaps if someone could come at it from that angle.... Sorry, but I'm not looking for Obama Vs Romney comparisons, there are enough of those around.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
So my question to you is, "On what basis to do you make your decision for President?"
First off, voting for anyone is nothing more having than a feeling that they will accomplish what they say they will, isn't it? That being said, I try to cast my vote for the person I think is going to be best for the Country and Mankind, even if that might mean some sort of 'pain' for me and those closest to me. IMO we will all have to make sacrifices in order to get things back on track, the question is how much are we willing to sacrifice to get there?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 16th, 2012, 12:02 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3125
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
I base my vote largely on who I think is the best leader for the country. That's the one thing I like best about Romney. At pretty much every level at which he has had a position of leadership, he has done very well. He obviously was a very successful business leader. Then took over a struggling olympics and led it to successful completion. In MA he was a Republican governor of a Democratic state, but still managed to lead effectively and get things done. I don't worry so much about the details of exactly what he did as governor vs what he may do as president because the needs of a state are different from those of the nation, and as such there are different tactics, strategies, and remedies.

Many of these same things could be said of Johnson. From what I know of him he's an effective leader as well. Truth be told, I think I'd rather have him as president than Romney, but that's not going to happen. But, I'm probably with you in the sense that I may be voting for Johnson. It just depends how much my conscience sways me over my realism of what the outcome of the election will be.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


October 16th, 2012, 12:40 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
Please forgive the intro of my previous comment it was more to lead into what I was saying than to restate the obvious.

Also, to your point, I only did the comparison to illustrate the FOR Romney reasons that I've chosen.

Again, looking at Leadership, Integrity, Character, these are the traits of humanity that we all look for in some way, shape, or form, before we apply our allegiances.

As I stated in teh other thread, I'm neither Coke/Pepsi, but the ice floating in the glass, and this glass is filled with Pepsi.

In the end, it will not matter because we will get the President we deserve as a nation, and in my belief, the one already pre-destined to man the spot. Humanly speaking, I hope it's the President that will help this country to recover, but according to my beliefs, at some point this country will fail in order for prophecy to be fulfilled (daniel 9).

I'm not trying to take this to the religious discussion, just stating my opinion.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


October 16th, 2012, 2:37 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2748
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
Businesses can't thrive or grow at a rate necessary to compete with population unless things change. Obama and Biden continuously say that 97% of small businesses won't be effected by their tax hikes, but that 3% of businesses that will account for 70% of the job creation among small businesses that overall account for 50% of job creation. The main problem is small businesses don't pay the corporate tax rate, they pay the personal tax rate which Obama wants to raise to 40%.

Romney's plan to reduce taxes across the board by 20% including the corporate tax rate from 35% to 25% will stimulate jobs and increase the job creation. The lower corporate tax will entice larger corporations to come back or start here since it becomes competitive world wide.

This election is all about jobs. The debt, the deficit and most of the problems with the economy can't be solved by simply raising taxes. You need to increase the pool of taxable citizens and unless you make the market profitable to create jobs, businesses won't hire when they can coast at current pace as is. You can't stimulate jobs with cash, unless you're making it easier to sustain those jobs and easier to create new businesses. It's the lowest point in 30 years when it comes to new business creation.

The lack of details is a plan of itself. The dems want to make an issue about how their own studies say these goals aren't obtainable, but anything is possible if both sides can come together. Romney has already recognized that you need both sides to get something done. The biggest test of someone willing to work with the other side is what they do when they have full control. Obama flipped the big bird to the Republican party in 2008 in the health care debate by leaving them out of the discussion and then claiming most of the ideas came from Bob Dole's plan which wasn't a popular plan with Republicans even then. He passed whatever he wanted with the only snags coming because of his own party. Of course the Republicans weren't going to work with him once they took back control. Obama has never proved he can work with the other side. He was cut out of the debt crisis talks because his involvement almost ruined it.

We don't need a candidate that is going to be absent from the process and let the party do it their way. You want someone that can lead. You don't need someone that you agree with 100%, you need someone you can respect to have a goal and follow through with it. He might have adjusted his views on some things, but I don't mind someone that adapts to the will of the people, but when he sets his mind to it, gets it done.


October 16th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
njroar wrote:
Businesses can't thrive or grow at a rate necessary to compete with population unless things change. Obama and Biden continuously say that 97% of small businesses won't be effected by their tax hikes, but that 3% of businesses that will account for 70% of the job creation among small businesses that overall account for 50% of job creation. The main problem is small businesses don't pay the corporate tax rate, they pay the personal tax rate which Obama wants to raise to 40%.
Is this what you're referring to here?
FactCheck.org wrote:
Small-Business Smackdown

Biden and Ryan sparred over the effect of Obama’s proposed tax policies on small business and job creation.
Quote:
Ryan: This one tax would actually tax about 53 percent of small-business income. It’s expected to cost us 710,000 jobs.

Biden: Let me tell you who some of those other small businesses are: hedge funds that make $600 million, $800 million a year. That’s — that’s what they count as small businesses, because they’re pass-through.
This is a mixed bag. Ryan is exaggerating the extent to which higher individual tax rates would fall on small-business owners. He’s including in his estimate a lot of income from some very large businesses.

Republicans have been using and distorting this figure for years. It goes back to a 2010 study by the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation, which examined the amount of business income — not necessarily “small” business income — that is taxed at individual rates through what are called “pass-through” entities, such as partnerships and “S” corporations. And the JCT was quite clear in warning that literally thousands of these businesses are in fact multimillion-dollar enterprises.
Quote:
Joint Committee on Taxation: These figures for net positive business income do not imply that all of the income is from entities that might be considered “small.” For example, in 2005, 12,862 S corporations and 6,658 partnerships had receipts on more than $50 million.
So Biden was right on that point. A $600-million-a-year hedge fund would indeed qualify as a “small business” by Ryan’s misleading definition.

But Ryan also has at least some support for his claim that 710,000 fewer jobs would result from allowing the top individual federal income-tax rates to rise to pre-Bush levels on high-income individuals, as Obama proposes. That was the conclusion of a study released in July by Ernst & Young. It said its economic forecasting model projected — compared with what might otherwise happen over the long run — “a loss of roughly 710,000 jobs.”

On the other hand, the study was commissioned by pro-business groups including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Federation of Independent Business, which lean strongly Republican. And the study contained an important qualifier: It said this job loss would result “when the revenue is used to finance higher government spending.” It did not examine what would happen if the higher revenues were simply applied to reduce future federal deficits. Moody’s chief economist, Mark Zandi, called that omission “odd” and said, “It seems to me that is the more relevant scenario. And my sense is that if they did, the results would be very different.”

http://factcheck.org/2012/10/veep-debate-violations/
Perhaps it all goes to what one considers a "small" business.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 16th, 2012, 3:45 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2748
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
Well it goes both ways Wags. As you can see, the 700k jobs lost is still the outcome regardless of how you classify. But again, are they classifying businesses by profit now instead of by # of employees? In one sentence they say small businesses are X # of people, but then they want to classify it by $ amount in the next statement. They keep going back and forth. If they want to say hedge fund managers should be taxed at X amount, than write a bill specifically for that, but they can't have it both ways. If the tax rate for small businesses is going to change via profit levels, then they deserve the same benefits that corporations get.

I just don't understand penalizing profit just because of profit unless you're going to let them jump classifications completely then.


October 16th, 2012, 4:49 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
njroar wrote:
Well it goes both ways Wags. As you can see, the 700k jobs lost is still the outcome regardless of how you classify. But again, are they classifying businesses by profit now instead of by # of employees? In one sentence they say small businesses are X # of people, but then they want to classify it by $ amount in the next statement. They keep going back and forth. If they want to say hedge fund managers should be taxed at X amount, than write a bill specifically for that, but they can't have it both ways. If the tax rate for small businesses is going to change via profit levels, then they deserve the same benefits that corporations get.

I just don't understand penalizing profit just because of profit unless you're going to let them jump classifications completely then.
Agree that they need to actually define what a small business is. Its utterly ridiculous that one piece of legislation can use one definition, while another uses something else. It should be uniform.

For the record, I've always thought of small business as the mom & pop and independent stores which usually have less than 50 employees and probably make less than $5-10 mil per year.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 16th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2748
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
TheRealWags wrote:
njroar wrote:
Well it goes both ways Wags. As you can see, the 700k jobs lost is still the outcome regardless of how you classify. But again, are they classifying businesses by profit now instead of by # of employees? In one sentence they say small businesses are X # of people, but then they want to classify it by $ amount in the next statement. They keep going back and forth. If they want to say hedge fund managers should be taxed at X amount, than write a bill specifically for that, but they can't have it both ways. If the tax rate for small businesses is going to change via profit levels, then they deserve the same benefits that corporations get.

I just don't understand penalizing profit just because of profit unless you're going to let them jump classifications completely then.
Agree that they need to actually define what a small business is. Its utterly ridiculous that one piece of legislation can use one definition, while another uses something else. It should be uniform.

For the record, I've always thought of small business as the mom & pop and independent stores which usually have less than 50 employees and probably make less than $5-10 mil per year.


Well 97% of small businesses make less than $250k in profits. Revenue isn't in consideration. If you're not making more than $250k in profit, you aren't exactly going to expand rapidly are you? It's that other 3% of small businesses that are making more that expand the most. I know that includes some hedgefund managers, but it's not all of them. And those businesses would jump to 40% tax rate. This is why small business confidence is so low. Even Obama admits that small businesses are the engine behind job creation and doing anything that jeopardizes growth is worth questioning.


October 16th, 2012, 5:01 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3335
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
Obama is a Bears fan....check mark Romney.


(Sorry)

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 18th, 2012, 6:27 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: September 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Posts: 408
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
You should vote for Romney go get me another tax cut... because, personally speaking, the 15% or less I've been paying for 8 years is just too much. And you should vote for Romney if you are interested in bringing austerity to the US like we have in many European countries... so the unemployment rate can get ratcheted up to 20% or more like over there. You should also vote for Romney if you don't have a vagina, and don't like boy/boy or girl/girl action. lol


October 18th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
kdsberman wrote:
Obama is a Bears fan....check mark Romney.


(Sorry)
This is by FAR the best reason thus far to not vote for Obama :wink:

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


October 19th, 2012, 9:11 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
Eric:

Just out of curiosity what is your take or perspective on Greece?

To answer some of your other "points" I'm curious, how much does contraception cost in Chicago? Does the local CVS or Walgreens not carry it, or is it now a controlled substance as well?

You know I find it very interesting that HPV is the one innoculation that they are forcing upon our daughters because of it's "potential to cause cancer."

HPV, GENITAL WARTS, is caused by DIRECT HUMAN TO HUMAN CONTACT and could be prevented with the use of condoms, or abstinence. But the misinformation for those who don't know or care to research medical terms, are LED to believe that this is an epidemic like HIV, or something more sinister.

This is one particular program that has come out in the last 4 years that is founded on mis-information to the public and thats why I shared it.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


October 19th, 2012, 9:21 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3584
Location: WSU
Post Re: Why should I vote for Romney?
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Eric:

Just out of curiosity what is your take or perspective on Greece?

To answer some of your other "points" I'm curious, how much does contraception cost in Chicago? Does the local CVS or Walgreens not carry it, or is it now a controlled substance as well?

You know I find it very interesting that HPV is the one innoculation that they are forcing upon our daughters because of it's "potential to cause cancer."

HPV, GENITAL WARTS, is caused by DIRECT HUMAN TO HUMAN CONTACT and could be prevented with the use of condoms, or abstinence. But the misinformation for those who don't know or care to research medical terms, are LED to believe that this is an epidemic like HIV, or something more sinister.

This is one particular program that has come out in the last 4 years that is founded on mis-information to the public and thats why I shared it.


I dont understand this post. You are calling the HPV vaccines some kind of conspiracy? To accomplish what? 90% plus of sexually active people carry HPV. A much smaller amount of people actually have warts but certain strains of HPV DO cause cervical and penile cancer. Condoms by no means are foolproof, wouldnt your rather be immune? There is little downside to getting the vaccine to this virus. HPV isnt HIV but it is an epidemic.


October 19th, 2012, 9:34 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.