View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Getting ready for 'Da Bears' 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Getting ready for 'Da Bears'
nobody s worried about hester as a widereceiver...kick coverage is what im worried about

Bears 31
Lions 23

October 20th, 2012, 12:51 pm
Walk On

Shotty wrote:
I.E. wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Seam routes to Scheff and Pett all day (let's just hope they catch the damn ball). Urlacher is playing the run fine, but dropping back in coverage is an issue.

You're right. He isn't ready to be playing center field in the T2 like he has in the past. For that reason, the Bears are playing more traditional Cover 2 (where you're right - the seam is even more of a soft spot), and doing other things to help hide Urlacher in coverage.

The Bears have been dropping Nick Roach into coverage more... who is actually pretty good in coverage for a SAM. And they've experimented a bit with standing up & dropping McClellin back like a 3-4 OLB even though they insisted they wouldn't. They definitely need guys like Roach, McClellin and others to disrupt the TEs. It looks to me like they're trying to adjust for Urlacher's limitations by mixing it up to keep the opponents from trying to isolate Urlacher for big plays.

One thing that has really helped is the emergence of the Wright/Conte safety tandem, after the Bears have been struggling for years to replace Mike Brown. Now that they've been playing together for almost a full season (stretching back to last year), Wright and Conte have been making very few mistakes and taking very good angles. Wright has turned into the playmaker they were looking for when they drafted him, and Conte at 6'2", an ex-corner with decent speed, is effective at preventing big plays. Conte was pretty inexperienced coming out of Cal last year... but has obviously become a good student of Lovie's D.

With Peanut Tillman and Tim Jennings playing at a probowl level, and the good safety play and a Dline that is playing extremely well ... it isn't safe to assume that the Lions passing game is going to thrive. I don't see how anyone could say it is a good matchup for the Lions, after watching both teams play this year so far. Again - If the Lions don't commit to running to slow down the Bear pass rush and try to catch the Bear safeties off guard... I think it will be long day for the Lions.

On the other side, I expect the Lion DEs and LBs to have some success rushing Cutler ... but also expect Rachal, Garza and Louis to handle the Lion DTs "fairly" well... if you'll pardon the pun. lol I dont' think it is being a homer to say that the Bear defensive backfield has been playing at a far higher level than Detroits - and even with Delmas back the Lion secondary is going to have their hands full with Marshall, Bennett & Hester if Cutler gets any time. And I expect Forte to have a huge day in the passing game, as Jay checks down to him under pressure.

Lots of words, but I don't view this game as a good matchup for the Lions at all.

Think about. The Packers played them and won 23-10, and that's without Greg Jennings, so we'll say our offense is at least equal to what the Packers' was that game. The Bears scored 10 points on a Packers defense that's middle of the pack as of now. I don't know if you watched the game, but the Packers didn't do anything really special. Constant double teams on Marshall and a smart safety in Charles Woodson making the right decisions all game and the front 7 playing the run well, and HELLO, we just held LeSean McCoy to 22 yards. Yes, the Eagles are missing Peters and Kelce on the O-line, but even with that their line isn't worse than the Bears'. Hester couldn't even trick Sam Shields; how the hell will he fare against Chris Houston? I think Earl Bennett will lead in receiving yards with around 65 yards.

Well thought through prediction is: Lions: 21, Bears: 17

Scheffler, not Pettigrew, will have a field day, catching 2 TDs, Calvin catches 1.

"Think about it"? Lol... you pick the one loss - an away game in Green Bay - and that's what you hang your hat on? I suppose from that example, you then also believe that the Bears have terrible special teams because they gave up a TD on a fake punt in GB? And you believe the Lions are going to take Marshall out of the game, like the Packers did - with much assistance from Mike Tice? I can understand your rationale. :D

Look - it's cool that you think your team is great, and other good teams (e.g. the Packers) are just average. Being a total homer fan is great & fun - but it doesn't make for the most level-headed discussions.

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman
Lions QB Matthew Stafford is 1-3 vs. #Bears, with 6 INTs, 4 TDs and a 73.1 passer rating

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... ified=true

October 20th, 2012, 1:02 pm
Walk On

The Legend wrote:
nobody s worried about hester as a widereceiver...kick coverage is what im worried about

Bears 31
Lions 23

Until the past few weeks, I would have very much agreed with you Legend. I have been believing the "Hester experiment" at WR had proved itself a failure. But then with Marshall on board and Jeffrey/Bennett out there as the #2 options, Hester's been relegated to the position he should have had all along - a #3/#4 WR type and deep threat, like Titus. And in being in a more focused role, Hester's route running has actually been incredibly good. He's been juking DBs out of their jocks with double-moves in & near the end zone for wide open shots. And his concentration in catching the ball has been pretty good.

He's not a primary threat. But he IS a threat, and his speed & quickness can be a headache now that he's being played 1:1. He's been The Lions really don't want him with the ball in his hands receiving passes OR kicks.

http://youtu.be/dJa47J25jlo

October 20th, 2012, 1:16 pm
RIP Killer

Isn't Jeffrey out?

Also, it doesn't take much to make Coleman look like a clown in man coverage. Mike Williams could beat him 1 on 1

October 20th, 2012, 1:41 pm
Walk On

conversion02 wrote:
Isn't Jeffrey out?

Also, it doesn't take much to make Coleman look like a clown in man coverage. Mike Williams could beat him 1 on 1

Yeah - not saying that's a good corner. Hester's been doing it more than the once, though. Tice has really improved how they use him... I'm frankly surprised. Being around Chicago, I know you're probably heard a lot of calls to end the Hester WR experiement. Not so much anymore though.

Yeah - AJ is out for several more weeks & Bennett is back in after being out for a few weeks. I was just explaining the changed role - Hester hasn't been expected to carry any load like in the past, and he isn't being covered by the other team's best DBs. They're talking about Hester getting more looks this week with AJ out - but I don't believe it. Cutler likes to rely on Bennett, and trusts him. This is a big opportunity for Earl ... he hasn't been getting nearly as many attempts, but he should end up being the #2 target while AJ is out. I personally thought he'd be the #2 all year - but AJ's emergence right away is a pleasant surprise for the Bears... and the kid is making the "BMW-like" comparisons we heard in the offseason look absurd. It is really weird how some of those stories get a life of their own. But I guess in this case it was lucky for the Bears to get him in the 2nd.

October 20th, 2012, 1:58 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

To me this game comes down to a battle of D's. Can ours be patient and take advantage of T.O. Opportunities ( Cutler will give em one or two free pickable balls) and can we keep their D and special teams from scoring. If they only get points from their offense I like our chances.

October 21st, 2012, 12:29 pm
RIP Killer

I think it's almost the opposite. With the piss poor throws staff has been making early on, the bears could easily run away with this early. Don't they have 3 pick-6's? They will try and bait staff into picks and they know how to force fumbles. Their safeties can easily shut down passing lanes for our WRs, especially since staff looks like a rookie staring down WRs like he has this year. This could easily be a 20+ point lead by the half...and not for the lions...

October 21st, 2012, 12:35 pm
Stadium Announcer

I believe they have 5 pick 6s. Tillman and Briggs have 4 the last 2 weeks and I think there is another before that.

October 21st, 2012, 12:41 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Have to hit/intercept Cutler enough so he becomes "F*** it" Jay. Lions haven't pulled that off yet, even in the Monday night game last year.

October 21st, 2012, 5:24 pm
All State

IMO the best possible outcome for this game is a low scoring affair where the D on both teams grind it out and whoever can take advantage of the limited scoring opportunities the most wins.

I don't trust or believe the offense will win this one unless Stafford gets his mojo back and/or Linehan DOES HIS JOB as an OC and finds more ways to spread the ball around and loosen pressure in the secondary. The Reiff jumbo back was a good start last week, and I liked some other looks I saw last week, but if they can't figure out how to get teams to stop playing them soft, it won't change. For once I'd like to see them come out and BE AGGRESSIVE in the 1st quarter and play like it's the 4th. Don't run on EVERY 1st and 2nd down and keep punting away or kicking field goals.

October 22nd, 2012, 12:17 am
Walk On

Rain and a muddy field is going to make it interesting. Might be an advantage for the Bears at home on grass...because of the run game and slippery track for the WRs. But when things get sloppy you just never know how it is going to go. One or two big plays could be the difference, and the rest a sloppy defensive mess.

With the rain I'll change my prediction. 26-20 Bears, with the difference being the Bears pounding Forte & Bush all night long (lol... "pounding Bush"), and the Bears winning the turnover battle by one or two.

If the Lions stay pass-wacky in the rain ... oh boy.

October 22nd, 2012, 1:43 pm
QB Coach

Actually, Cutler is the most dangerous when he's mobile so this could hurt him a little. In the pocket he is what you've seen to date. Your running game will be a benefit to you, and ours MAY help out too, we'll have to see.

Detroits D has been much better against the run, but suspect against the pass, and our Special Teams has killed us. If Stafford and company have figured out the kinks, this could be interesting. But I imagine it will be a slug fest and too close to call but with Bears favored due to Home Field advantage.

I'm still hopeful for a Lions win, but we'll just have to wait and see.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 22nd, 2012, 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2