View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. Bears I on MNF 
Head Cheerleader

Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions vs. Bears I on MNF
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
MobiusOne wrote:
Jk14 wrote:
Linehan needs to go, he was good last year. But the play calling is horrible this year, the personel decisions are horrible. He cant adjust his play calling to everyone playing their safeties 20 yards off the line. Its embarrassing, no screen passes, no swing passes, no combo routes, no creativity on play calling.

Agree 100% we need some youthful fiery OC who is willing to be way more creative than Linehan, also our Oline got exposed big time.

Yeah, those two fumbles by Linehan in the red zone were inexcusable. :-s

No they werent, but THATS the problem, we can only get in the red zone those couple times! We should have gotten in the red zone, with the talent on this offense, over 50% of our possessions, then maybe those 2 fumbles wont look AS bad. But when we can only get in a scoring oppurtunity a couple times, then ya it sucks.

Id like to know why Bell was carrying the ball right then anyway. Whatever happened to that LeShoure guy who we spent a 2nd round pick on and is like 225lbs? Oh ya, ON THE SIDELINE.

When we do get in the redzone, the play calling has to be better. You can throw 4 times from the 3 yard line. We have Reiff that can come in as a extra blocker, i know we were trying to save clock time. But with the Bears LB's and agressive corners, you have to pound it in from the 3. Unexcusable to throw 4 times, not much Stafford can do from there. Specially when Tillman punches out anything CJ has in his hands. Linehan is washed up, everyone caught on from last year and just takes the deep ball away, so now he calls running plays in obvious situations and hopes Stafford can bail him out on 3rd and long.

October 23rd, 2012, 6:57 am
QB Coach

I disagree that the playcalling has been that bad. Yes it could be better, but that's always the case. What the Lions need is execution. There is a quote out there that goes something like: "Playcalling is overrated. Execution is underrated". Take a couple examples:

- On several plays Reiff came in and they ran the ball, and quite effectively. Especially in the 3rd quarter. Those were smart plays and were getting results. Then a couple times they brought in that same formation and ran play action. Again, smart play call, building off of earlier running success. The pass wasn't completed, but it wasn't a bad call.
- On the fade to CJ that Tillman knocked away, that one is on Staff to me. If that ball is thrown higher and a little further into the corner of the endzone (like Staff did most of last year), that's probably a TD.
- The fumble on the 1 wasn't a bad call. A run there was smart. Pound the ball in. It was a dumb play by Bell that resulted in the fumble. Likewise on the LeShoure fumble. The running game was going good and there is nothing wrong with the play call. Just a good defensive play/bad ball countrol by LeShoure.

A couple plays turn out different and Detroit wins that game. The players need to get some damn discipline and stop being so careless. That falls on the head coach to create an environment that doesn't allow that to happen anymore. In my opinion, when Schwartz came in he rightly assessed that this team needed to become a nastier, tougher team. So he instilled that kind of mentality in the players and it has shown. The Lions are definitely not a team anyone can push around now. But, that nastiness needs to be tempered with smarts. One only need look at the team we just played to see an example. I think nearly everyone would agree that the bears are a tough, nasty team. But they generally play smart. Not too many stupid penalties, and their defense is opportunistic and makes you pay for any mistakes. That's what Detroit needs to be like.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 23rd, 2012, 7:07 am
Butkus Award Winner

This game was unbearable. Utterly winnable... There's not much else to say, this game was nothing new.

IE, if you read this, I was wrong, and admit it. At the same time, there's no denying my score prediction could've been about perfect if we could capitalize in the red zone. This one really hurt.

October 23rd, 2012, 8:36 am
League MVP

MobiusOne wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, those two fumbles by Linehan in the red zone were inexcusable. :-s

His playcalling is inexcusable, you cannot say it wasn't

i really dont think his playcalling was at all a problem in this game. in other games, yes maybe. in this game he used reilley reiff very effectively as an extra blocker, the run game was working, calvin and titus both dropped big play passes early in the game and of course the RBs with red zone fumbles. they needed Mooch's points of pressure workout not different playcalling. this was about players executing play calls that were there and protecting the ball in key situations.

October 23rd, 2012, 9:00 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

DisgruntledFan wrote:
And it just got worse. Schwartz just announced Burleson broke his leg. Done for the year. WJB must be jumping for joy right now if he knows this. At least now we know Broyles has some talent.

Broyles no longer a "luxury" pick.

October 23rd, 2012, 9:29 am
Pro Bowl Player

Linehan doesn't drop balls, make bad throws, fumble or give up sacks.

October 23rd, 2012, 9:40 am

Blueskies wrote:
Linehan doesn't drop balls, make bad throws, fumble or give up sacks.

Bingo! Say what you want, but it's not the OC's job to orchestrate a blow out every single game. It's to put his guys in a position to win. Linehan did that. The players let him down.

October 23rd, 2012, 9:48 am
Modmin Dude

My question is: Why do they wait so long to go into No Huddle / Hurry Up mode? It seems as though when they finally do, they move the ball. Why not start the game that way???

October 23rd, 2012, 9:52 am

Guys, we shut down the Bears with JONTE GREEN starting. Why in the hell does the offense have to choose now of all times to stink it up?

October 23rd, 2012, 10:33 am
Modmin Dude

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Guys, we shut down the Bears with JONTE GREEN starting. Why in the hell does the offense have to choose now of all times to stink it up?
They've been stinking it up all season.

October 23rd, 2012, 10:37 am

TheRealWags wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

By "now" I meant September and October :D

October 23rd, 2012, 10:39 am
RIP Killer

Well it must be all the changes from last years record breaking offense, oh wait we returned our QB, WRs, entire OL plus added a 1st round OT and got Leshoure back. hummmmm!

October 23rd, 2012, 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

TheRealWags wrote:
My question is: Why do they wait so long to go into No Huddle / Hurry Up mode? It seems as though when they finally do, they move the ball. Why not start the game that way???

I agree. We're trying to be this big fancy balanced offense when our bread and butter is that passing game.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 23rd, 2012, 10:47 am
Modmin Dude

thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

By "now" I meant September and October :D
Truth be told, I'd rather the offense stink it up in Sept & Oct than Nov & Dec :D :arrow:

October 23rd, 2012, 10:58 am
Walk On

That was a tough game. IMO both offenses were very conservative - but the Bears extremely conservative. I think they probably just thought they'd win at home of they just didn't turn the ball over. I thought they'd run Bush a bit more.

I don't know about the Lions playcalling overall, but I do think they need to run the ball 25+ times/game. And they have to catch those passes. Normally I'd say "everybody drops the ball now & again" ... but the Lions drops seem excessive (maybe just because they come at the wrong time). Even Calvin...who has been playing more like "minitron" than anything else recently. Is there any question Marshall is the better of the two WRs at the point? Then again, Percy Harvin is probably the best in the NFCN... unfortunately.

Maybe one of these days people will give Cutler credit for being tough.

Go Tigers! And thank god for the Giants putting down the hated Cards!

Last edited by I.E. on October 23rd, 2012, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 23rd, 2012, 11:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next