View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 1:53 am



Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The Official Leyland Must Go Thread 
Author Message
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3257
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
The Legend wrote:
is there anyone that still believes this thread should exist?


Lol its a good go-to thread even though we are way off topic.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 17th, 2012, 6:07 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9250
Location: Dallas
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
is there anyone that still believes this thread should exist?


Lol its a good go-to thread even though we are way off topic.


It is now the "The Official Leyland Must Go To the World Series Thread"

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


October 17th, 2012, 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 761
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
The Legend wrote:
is there anyone that still believes this thread should exist?


Honestly, one more win and I'll feel that way. But I think he's planning on leaving/retiring regardless of the outcome.


October 17th, 2012, 3:10 pm
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
aManNamedSuh wrote:
The Legend wrote:
is there anyone that still believes this thread should exist?


Honestly, one more win and I'll feel that way. But I think he's planning on leaving/retiring regardless of the outcome.


Hate to get ahead of ourselfs here but who would replace him?

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


October 17th, 2012, 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11824
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
FWIW
Freep wrote:
Tigers' GM Dave Dombrowski: 'Jim Leyland is welcome back'
But manager, who is on a 1-year deal, won't discuss contract until season is over
October 19, 2012

In the Tigers' victory celebration Thursday night, president and general manger Dave Dombrowski for the first time publicly expressed his desire to have Jim Leyland return as manager next season.

"Jim Leyland is welcome back here," Dombrowski said. "He knows that. He's in a situation where we want him back, and I'm sure that he wants to come back."

Told of Dombrowski's statement, infielder-outfielder Don Kelly said, "That's awesome. He's been the steady force through this whole season. Through the ups and downs and everything that has gone on, he's remained the same throughout it all -- it's really kept the team on an even keel."

So this will be great news among the players?

"I think so," Kelly said. "It's tremendous."

Leyland, who will be 68 in December, is working on a one-year contact. He has repeatedly said he wants to continue to manage. Otherwise, he has refused to publicly discuss his status for next season.

As history shows, a manager who reaches the World Series doesn't always return to that team for the following season.

Johnny Keane managed the Cardinals to the '64 World Series title, but he was upset at owner Gussie Busch for firing general manager Bing Devine in August when the Cardinals appeared out of contention. So Keane turned down a chance to continue as manager and left to manage the team they had just beaten in the '64 World Series, the Yankees. (The Yankees, despite winning the '64 pennant, fired Yogi Berra as manager after his first season on the job. Standards were high at Yankee Stadium before George Steinbrenner got there in the mid-'70s.)

In 1953, Charlie Dressen managed the Dodgers to their second straight National League pennant. The story then gets complicated. But Dressen -- who later managed the Tigers -- sought a multiyear contract, and he was gone. The Dodgers hired Walter Alston, who managed the team for the next 23 seasons -- on 23 one-year contracts.

Leyland has said he hasn't talked to club officials about his contract status.

"There's a time and a place for that," Dombrowski said. "It's not right now."

Leyland fears that any talks about his contract during the season would become a distraction from the on-field effort.

Leyland accepted a one-year contract for this season in August of last year. He said he wasn't interested in a longer one.

Besides Keane and Dressen, there are at least two other notable instances in which a manager didn't return to his team after he led it to the World Series:

• 1973, Dick Williams, Oakland A's. Having had enough of owner Charlie Finley, he quit after he won his second straight World Series with the A's.

• 1926, Rogers Hornsby, St. Louis Cardinals. As player-manager in '26, Hornsby led the Cardinals to their first title. After the season, the Cardinals traded him to the Giants for fellow second baseman Frank Frisch.

There's also what happened last year. Cardinals manager Tony La Russa retired after his team won the World Series. La Russa joined Hornsby and Keane as Cardinals managers who won the World Series and didn't return the next season.

If Leyland for some reason decides not to return to the Tigers -- be that a Keane-like internal reason or a Dressen-like contractual reason or something else -- Dombrowski evidently believes he won't find anyone better to replace him. On the victory podium Thursday night, he called Leyland "the best manager in baseball."

Contact Jeff Seidel: 313-223-4558 or jseidel@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @seideljeff.

Contact John Lowe: 313-223-4053 or jlowe@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @freeptigers.

Celebrate the Tigers’ playoff run by tagging your photos on Twitter and Instagram with #tigersplayoffs for the chance to be published. Also celebrate the playoffs with our We Love the D poster, Tigers paper dolls, player masks and Twibbon.



http://www.freep.com/article/20121019/S ... t|NEWS0102

_________________
Go Lions!!! headbang.gif

Joe Fauria, MVP!


October 19th, 2012, 10:00 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10270
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
I like smokey, but some of his decisions are ludicrous, as we all know. That in mind, I think he does give this team the best chance to win it all, partly because the players would jump off a bridge for the guy.

However, even if he does come back, it'll likely be on one year deals. That will only happen for so long until they move on. So the question still remains...who's the replacement? I can't imagine jimmy having more than 3 more years left here. A former player? An insider like Lamont or Belliard?

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


October 20th, 2012, 11:53 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7119
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
conversion02 wrote:
I like smokey, but some of his decisions are ludicrous, as we all know. That in mind, I think he does give this team the best chance to win it all, partly because the players would jump off a bridge for the guy.

However, even if he does come back, it'll likely be on one year deals. That will only happen for so long until they move on. So the question still remains...who's the replacement? I can't imagine jimmy having more than 3 more years left here. A former player? An insider like Lamont or Belliard?


I would be OK with Lamont. But, I would love it if for some reason Ron Washington and the Texas Rangers parted ways and the Tigers were able to hire him. The team I least wanted to see the Tigers play in the playoffs was the Rangers. And it isn't from a superior players standpoint. Ron Washington, continuously, outmaneuvers Leyland. As a result, the Rangers have been to us, what we have been to the Yankees.


October 21st, 2012, 9:39 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
conversion02 wrote:
I like smokey, but some of his decisions are ludicrous, as we all know. That in mind, I think he does give this team the best chance to win it all, partly because the players would jump off a bridge for the guy.

However, even if he does come back, it'll likely be on one year deals. That will only happen for so long until they move on. So the question still remains...who's the replacement? I can't imagine jimmy having more than 3 more years left here. A former player? An insider like Lamont or Belliard?


i think they realized the danger of the 1 year deals this year as the media went wild with the speculation this season. if they win the world series and leyland comes back i would think he gets a 2 year deal that they would tack an extra year on after next season.

i disagree that his decisions are ludicrous, he goes by track record for the most part and if he has a new player he tries to figure out how best to use that player. this season that didnt pay off for raburn but it paid off big for guys like peralta, young, coke, benoit, etc. even don kelly won a post season game for us. the ludicrous decisions would be those that the radio show hosts and callers would have made - starting ramon santiago every day, cutting delmon young, leaving coke and benoit as mopup relievers and handing the keys to unknowns players out of shortsightedness. the baseball season is a marathon and you need to know your players. you cant bench the studs that got you there (granderson, swisher, arod) like joe girardi did and you cant let situations dictate you making a player do something he has never done before (ventura trying to sac bunt with youkilis)


October 21st, 2012, 9:46 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
I like smokey, but some of his decisions are ludicrous, as we all know. That in mind, I think he does give this team the best chance to win it all, partly because the players would jump off a bridge for the guy.

However, even if he does come back, it'll likely be on one year deals. That will only happen for so long until they move on. So the question still remains...who's the replacement? I can't imagine jimmy having more than 3 more years left here. A former player? An insider like Lamont or Belliard?


I would be OK with Lamont. But, I would love it if for some reason Ron Washington and the Texas Rangers parted ways and the Tigers were able to hire him. The team I least wanted to see the Tigers play in the playoffs was the Rangers. And it isn't from a superior players standpoint. Ron Washington, continuously, outmaneuvers Leyland. As a result, the Rangers have been to us, what we have been to the Yankees.


really ron washington? the guy with the outstanding bullpen that turned to his starter out of the pen, Derek Holland, to not just cost his team the division on the last day of the regular season but also made the same mistake again to lose the AL wildcard playoff game...gimme a break. do you watch what these other managers have done down the stretch? girardi, ventura, washington all with huge gaffes. this isnt leylands first rodeo pal, he knows how his players better than you do.


October 21st, 2012, 9:50 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10270
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Ron Washington had the best roster in baseball and managed his way out of the postseason by keeping the same struggling lineup everyday.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


October 21st, 2012, 10:15 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10270
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Leyland said he wanted to continue managing, but only on one year deals

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


October 21st, 2012, 10:17 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3257
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
conversion02 wrote:
Ron Washington had the best roster in baseball and managed his way out of the postseason by keeping the same struggling lineup everyday.



Gotta agree with this. At the first part of the season, the Rangers looked like they were BY FAR the team to beat.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 21st, 2012, 11:44 am
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7119
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
I like smokey, but some of his decisions are ludicrous, as we all know. That in mind, I think he does give this team the best chance to win it all, partly because the players would jump off a bridge for the guy.

However, even if he does come back, it'll likely be on one year deals. That will only happen for so long until they move on. So the question still remains...who's the replacement? I can't imagine jimmy having more than 3 more years left here. A former player? An insider like Lamont or Belliard?


I would be OK with Lamont. But, I would love it if for some reason Ron Washington and the Texas Rangers parted ways and the Tigers were able to hire him. The team I least wanted to see the Tigers play in the playoffs was the Rangers. And it isn't from a superior players standpoint. Ron Washington, continuously, outmaneuvers Leyland. As a result, the Rangers have been to us, what we have been to the Yankees.


really ron washington? the guy with the outstanding bullpen that turned to his starter out of the pen, Derek Holland, to not just cost his team the division on the last day of the regular season but also made the same mistake again to lose the AL wildcard playoff game...gimme a break. do you watch what these other managers have done down the stretch? girardi, ventura, washington all with huge gaffes. this isnt leylands first rodeo pal, he knows how his players better than you do.


And he completely out managed Leyland the previous two post seasons.


October 21st, 2012, 9:42 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: September 28th, 2011, 5:57 pm
Posts: 286
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Leland has one major problem, which for the rest of us would be a wonderful trait. Loyalty. When he finds a player or a scheme that he likes, it is hard as hell for him to let it go. He has used this loyalty to a point that could have left us out of the playoffs or been booted from the playoffs.
His use of the bullpen damn near killed us. It was not quality coaching, rather his loyalty that controled his gameplan.

That said, there are several teams that are looking at former Tiger catcher Brad Asmus. He does not have any big league expiereance(sp?) but niether did Robin Ventura(CWS).

He knows how to handle a pitching staff, that may be just what we need. We have execellent talent. All we need to do is sign Sanchez. We have everybody we need so the offseason should be a great time.


October 22nd, 2012, 6:50 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
Boz wrote:
Leland has one major problem, which for the rest of us would be a wonderful trait. Loyalty. When he finds a player or a scheme that he likes, it is hard as hell for him to let it go. He has used this loyalty to a point that could have left us out of the playoffs or been booted from the playoffs.
His use of the bullpen damn near killed us. It was not quality coaching, rather his loyalty that controled his gameplan.

That said, there are several teams that are looking at former Tiger catcher Brad Asmus. He does not have any big league expiereance(sp?) but niether did Robin Ventura(CWS).

He knows how to handle a pitching staff, that may be just what we need. We have execellent talent. All we need to do is sign Sanchez. We have everybody we need so the offseason should be a great time.


bc being in the world series is so horrible!!!!????? wake the f up people


October 23rd, 2012, 11:03 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.