View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Predictions for the Rest of the Season 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Predictions for the Rest of the Season
Could save this topic for a couple more weeks. Wait until the Lions pass the halfway point. However, if things continue to go badly, there will be no point in predicting!

As crazy as it may sound, I believe the Lions will rebound to finish with 7/8/9 wins. I base this on two factors:

1) Mean reversion. Calvin can't go from 16 TDs to only a couple. Similar for Stafford. The Lions offense will recover, simply because of how greatly it has under performed. We may not see anything as good as last year, but there will be a game or two this season when Stafford throws 4 TDs.

2) Back-loaded home schedule. The Lions play 6 of their next 10 at home, including their two toughest opponents: the Texans and the Falcons.

Seattle W
@Jacksonville W

@Minnesota L
Green Bay W
Houston L
Indianapolis W
@Green bay L
@Arizona L
Atlanta W
Chicago W

Final: 8-8

October 27th, 2012, 3:26 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Predictions for the Rest of the Season
I don't see us beating Seattle, Green Bay - ( either time), or Atlanta.

Before the season, I thought that this might just be one of those team slump years like a lot of teams have the year after they break out and have a great year, after having been a bad team for a long time.

Unfortunately, this is happening.
I don't see us winning more than 5 games at this point. We may lose more.
By the time we play the Colts, Andrew Luck could be getting his problems figured out and look at our Defensive secondary as the tonic that cures what ails the Colts. And we have the propensity to lose to the Bears anytime, anywhere.

That could leave us at 3 - 13. But, and here is the silver lining, at 3-13, we should end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick overall. We could be in the position to trade down with someone looking to move up for a QB. ( There are always 2 QB's at the top of the draft.) We don't need a QB. So, we might be able to get a Washington type deal. That would put us in fantastic position to be able to finish our rebuild in the 2013 draft. With all the picks we would get added to our own, we should definitely be able to get a 1st round CB, a 2nd round Safety, a 2nd round RB, and maybe trade back into the bottom of the 2nd round for a Center.

The Rams and Redskins swapped 1st rounders last draft. and the Rams also got the Redskins 2nd round pick and 2 future 1st round picks.

October 27th, 2012, 9:05 am
Player of the Year - Defense

BillySims wrote:

Before the season, I thought that this might just be one of those team slump years like a lot of teams have the year after they break out and have a great year, after having been a bad team for a long time.

By the time we play the Colts, Andrew Luck could be getting his problems figured out and look at our Defensive secondary as the tonic that cures what ails the Colts. And we have the propensity to lose to the Bears anytime, anywhere.

That could leave us at 3 - 13. But, and here is the silver lining, at 3-13, we should end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick overall. We could be in the position to trade down with someone looking to move up for a QB. ( There are always 2 QB's at the top of the draft.) We don't need a QB. So, we might be able to get a Washington type deal. That would put us in fantastic position to be able to finish our rebuild in the 2013 draft. With all the picks we would get added to our own, we should definitely be able to get a 1st round CB, a 2nd round Safety, a 2nd round RB, and maybe trade back into the bottom of the 2nd round for a Center.

The Rams and Redskins swapped 1st rounders last draft. and the Rams also got the Redskins 2nd round pick and 2 future 1st round picks.

You have to remember that there's only one Redskins and they already gave up those picks. No other teams are going to give up that much.

October 27th, 2012, 10:21 am
Hall of Fame Player

njroar wrote:
BillySims wrote:

You have to remember that there's only one Redskins and they already gave up those picks. No other teams are going to give up that much.

No-one is going to give up Two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick for a franchise QB? Because that is all the Redskins gave up in order to SWAP 1st round picks last year. They still got a 1st round pick last year. #2 overall. An upgrade over #6 overall. So, 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick is not a bad trade for a franchise QB. The Bears gave up a comparable price for Cutler. 2 first round picks, a 3rd round pick, and Kyle Orton.

October 27th, 2012, 10:31 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:
BillySims wrote:

No-one is going to give up Two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick for a franchise QB? Because that is all the Redskins gave up in order to SWAP 1st round picks last year. They still got a 1st round pick last year. #2 overall. An upgrade over #6 overall. So, 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick is not a bad trade for a franchise QB. The Bears gave up a comparable price for Cutler. 2 first round picks, a 3rd round pick, and Kyle Orton.

They didn't do it to swap picks. They did it to ensure they got RG3. And there is no RG3 in this draft. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft. There may not even by a Ryan Tannehill in this draft. So far, the QB class of this draft is OK, nothing spectacular.

I think the Lions will will at least two more games. They will beat Jacksonville, and they should be able to edge out the Colts. However, if Stafford can somehow get his act together, the Lions could start beating some teams like the Bears, Seahawks and Cardinals. They could possibly even take one from the Pack. At this point, two things are obvious:

1. The Lions are not a playoff team this year.
2. Matthew Stafford is the source of most of their ills.

I'm not throwing Matt under the bus. But that's the reality of it. He's struggling, for whatever reasons, and somehow needs to get back into his 2011 groove.

October 27th, 2012, 11:18 am
Team MVP

Im taking it game by game just like the Lions are (or should be). And that starts with Seattle tomorrow which I truly believe will be a W.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 27th, 2012, 4:07 pm
Stadium Announcer

I don't know how anyone can blame stafford for our losses so far. He has had some errant throws but every single game you can count at least 2-3 big time game changing drops. Against the bears it was Calvins drop and the 6 fumbles not matt. Against the vikes Calvin and Pettigrew dropped tds. The titans game was a freak game 2 ST tds 1 strip 6. San Fran just outplayed us as a team. Matt isn't playing as well as last season but I think the receiving core and lack of special teams play has been much more detrimental. That said I think we have the right guys on offense just need to get out of a funk and get some confidence back.

Sea W not a good road team D will win for us
@Jax W blow out confidence booster
@Min W I haven't believed in them called their loss to the bucs, won't be over .500
Gb L I don't know which game but I think we will beat gb or hou at home I put gb down but I think we win 1 of the 2
Hou W
Ind W they have no D 10-20 point win
@Gb L gb at lambeau in December not good for us
@Ari W I have said before they are garbage good D horrific O
Atl W same thing with gb hou will beat atl or chi maybe both could be resting players at this point
Chi L

Now that I look at the schedule I think 8-10 wins but only if we get it together n get to 4-4. The talent is there just have to put together 1 total team effort and build on it. Go Lions!

October 28th, 2012, 9:35 am
3rd Round Selection

I thought Bill Barnwell's description of the Lions was a good one. Basically we are this year's version of the 2010 Chargers, a good team that is hamstrung by poor execution in crucial spots and dreadful special teams.

I can see us beating anyone on our day. I can see us losing to anyone.

So I think this season has the potential for anywhere between 3-13 and 9-7. My money is on something like 6-10 or 7-9.

October 28th, 2012, 11:02 am
RIP Killer

ZAndrews81 wrote:
I don't know how anyone can blame stafford for our losses so far. He has had some errant throws but every single game you can count at least 2-3 big time game changing drops. Against the bears it was Calvins drop and the 6 fumbles not matt. Against the vikes Calvin and Pettigrew dropped tds. The titans game was a freak game 2 ST tds 1 strip 6. San Fran just outplayed us as a team. Matt isn't playing as well as last season but I think the receiving core and lack of special teams play has been much more detrimental. That said I think we have the right guys on offense just need to get out of a funk and get some confidence back.

I'm not saying it is solely his fault. But as much as I hate them, drops happen. However, it is Stafford's job to work past that and put his team into position to score, and then get the ball into the end zone. Nobody can sit there and say that Stafford is playing as well this season as he was last season. No player on the team really is. But with Stafford, his issues get magnified. It's a by product of being an NFL quarterback. The defense has actually done fairly well this season. The offense has been atrocious. Special teams can be blamed only for so much. Linehan is partly to blame, and so is Pettigrew, Young and Calvin. But Stafford has missed just as many, if not more, opportunities to put the team in the end zone than those guys have dropped passes. It's been pretty much a team effort, for sure. But as the quarterback on this team, Stafford has the most culpability.

October 28th, 2012, 4:56 pm
Stadium Announcer

I'm sorry for being that annoying kid whose always up beat and positive, BUT HOW ON EARTH DO YOU PEOPLE HONESTLY SEE US ONLY WINNING 3-5 GAMES????? We have a top 10 defense that is victimized by the fact our offense has put them in bad field position constantly. I know being a lions fan and years of disappointment is reason for pessimism, but this is not the same old, talent barren lions. We have 3 legitimate franchise players, a 3 win prediction is something I expect from typical ignorant bears fans

October 28th, 2012, 7:29 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:
BillySims wrote:

They didn't do it to swap picks. They did it to ensure they got RG3. And there is no RG3 in this draft. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft. There may not even by a Ryan Tannehill in this draft. So far, the QB class of this draft is OK, nothing spectacular.

I think the Lions will will at least two more games. They will beat Jacksonville, and they should be able to edge out the Colts. However, if Stafford can somehow get his act together, the Lions could start beating some teams like the Bears, Seahawks and Cardinals. They could possibly even take one from the Pack. At this point, two things are obvious:

1. The Lions are not a playoff team this year.
2. Matthew Stafford is the source of most of their ills.

I'm not throwing Matt under the bus. But that's the reality of it. He's struggling, for whatever reasons, and somehow needs to get back into his 2011 groove.

Barkley >>>> Tannehil

October 29th, 2012, 10:52 am
League MVP

millam21 wrote:
I'm sorry for being that annoying kid whose always up beat and positive, BUT HOW ON EARTH DO YOU PEOPLE HONESTLY SEE US ONLY WINNING 3-5 GAMES????? We have a top 10 defense that is victimized by the fact our offense has put them in bad field position constantly. I know being a lions fan and years of disappointment is reason for pessimism, but this is not the same old, talent barren lions. We have 3 legitimate franchise players, a 3 win prediction is something I expect from typical ignorant bears fans

I agree with you. The offense looks like it just got into rhythm, we ll see if thats the start of something rather than the end of something but they are capable of beating anyone. i think its hilarious the amount of complaints we get about the secondary - they are playing pretty well. its like nobody watches any other NFL games and only watches secondary play when the Lions defense is on the field. Houston and Delmas are very good players, Levy and Tulloch are decent in coverage, Spievey was a big upgrade over WEndling/Coleman and what they are getting out of Bentley/Green is promising given that they were middle to late round rookies.

@JAX - Crummy team that we should beat easily. W 38-10
@MIN - We stopped there offense last time, now we ve figured out our offense but can we correct the ST? W 28-27
vsGB - This isnt the same GB team as in the past and they re injured in the receiving corps. If they arent healthy by then, our depth wont be tested as much. I expect Levy, Spievey, Delmas, Bentley all back by that game. Keep Alfonso Smith off the field against them and its a win. W 35-24
vsHOU - Houston looks like a Super Bowl team to me. We ve been better against the run and I ve never been a fan of Schaub but there defense could terrorize us. L 16-21
vsIND - they dont have the weapons to keep or the defense to slow us down. They have a good future but arent quite there yet. W 34-17
@GB - Seriously do we ever win there? Cant predict anything but a loss until the Lions show us otherwise. L 20-31
@ARI - This is a team that cant protect the QB or run particularly well. There defense is very tough and they have a Patrick Peterson to match up w CJ. Need a showing similar to what we did vs SEA but ARI wont score as much or eat as much time off the clock. W 20-14
vsATL - 2 home games left to try to grab a playoff spot. ATL beat us fair and square last year, they re better, we dont seem to be quite as sharp. L 17-28
vsCHI - we let CHI off the hook on Monday night. Cutler s injury had something to do with the game being within reach for us but I cant expect 3 fumbles and that many drops again. Home field and experience for the new RBs makes the difference. W 26-24

Lions finish 9-7 and both wildcards come out of the NFC North.

October 29th, 2012, 11:15 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Better beat Minnesota! I will be at that game. :arrow:

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 29th, 2012, 11:18 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:

Wasn't a great day for the NFC yesterday and some of the teams the Lions might be fighting it out with. Here are the division leaders:

North: Bears 6-1
East: Giants 6-2
South: Atlanta 7-0
West: 49ers 5-2

and for the wildcard contenders (teams one game under .500 or better)

North: Vikings 5-3, Packers 5-3, Lions 3-4
East: Eagles 3-4, Cowboys 3-4
South: Bucs 3-4
West: Cardinals 4-4, Seahawks 4-4

The Lions still have 2 games against the Packers and another against the Vikes. We have already have beaten (and have the tiebreaker) against both the Eagles and Seahawks. We aksi gave a game against the Cardinals.

The game against the Vikes in two weeks to kick off the second half of the season is going to be big assuming they get by the Jags this week. Gotta at least finish 3rd in the division to have a shot...

October 29th, 2012, 11:36 am
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Pablo wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Wasn't a great day for the NFC yesterday and some of the teams the Lions might be fighting it out with. Here are the division leaders:

North: Bears 6-1
East: Giants 6-2
South: Atlanta 7-0
West: 49ers 5-2

and for the wildcard contenders (teams one game under .500 or better)

North: Vikings 5-3, Packers 5-3, Lions 3-4
East: Eagles 3-4, Cowboys 3-4
South: Bucs 3-4
West: Cardinals 4-4, Seahawks 4-4

The Lions still have 2 games against the Packers and another against the Vikes. We have already have beaten (and have the tiebreaker) against both the Eagles and Seahawks. We aksi gave a game against the Cardinals.

The game against the Vikes in two weeks to kick off the second half of the season is going to be big assuming they get by the Jags this week. Gotta at least finish 3rd in the division to have a shot...

If the Lions win next week I can see them making a push for one.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 29th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next