View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 10:12 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks 
League MVP

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
This was a breakout game for Stafford and the receiving corps against a very good defense. Impressive, despite some drops, bad sacks, etc they were collectively able to pick each other up after those mistakes. The troubling thing I thought was the play of the offensive line - I know SEA and CHI have some tough defenses but its 2 weeks in a row now of a lot of pressure. Its hard to point to any one guy on the line bc at times they all play well but even in max protect sometimes it looked like we struggled. I doubt it will be a problem next week but thats bc we re playing JAX.

I cant comment too much on the defense bc I was at the game and didnt have the advantage of replay but definitely the DEs particulary Avril and Willie Young were just getting abused over and over by the play action - fake dive to lynch and boot by Wilson. I didnt think they were ever going to stop that play. Wilson was impressive and the D let them off the hook deep in there own territory but they were playing down a couple starters and only had the one major letdown though Rice dropping a big bomb easily could ve been another.

October 28th, 2012, 6:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
All I know is, Calvin should start giving back some of the money he got from that mega-deal he signed. He looks like trash.

Earlier this week, one of my friends(a Seahawk fan matter of fact) said he thinks of CJ as T.O. without all of the extra crap. I'm starting to see it that way too.

Here we go...

October 28th, 2012, 8:26 pm
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
All I know is, Calvin should start giving back some of the money he got from that mega-deal he signed. He looks like trash.

Earlier this week, one of my friends(a Seahawk fan matter of fact) said he thinks of CJ as T.O. without all of the extra crap. I'm starting to see it that way too.

Here we go...

wow i cant believe m2k wrote that and then killwill what does your comment even mean? TO without all the extra crap? TO was great it was the extra crap that made him a tough pill to swallow? did you mean your comment in a negative way?

October 28th, 2012, 8:38 pm
Heisman Winner

I think his comment is hinting to the drops, TO was known for that. Not sure it's that bad, CJ has 4 on record this year, I can't tell if that includes today's game or not.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

October 28th, 2012, 8:47 pm

The Legend wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Here we go...

wow i cant believe m2k wrote that and then killwill what does your comment even mean? TO without all the extra crap? TO was great it was the extra crap that made him a tough pill to swallow? did you mean your comment in a negative way?

No, T.O. was great between the whistles. physically, they are very similar and both are great blockers. But when T.O. got popped hard early in games, he would drop some catchable balls. With Owens though, I think his extra crap did begin to affect him on the field later.

October 28th, 2012, 9:01 pm
Stadium Announcer

I think it's unfair to compare him to TO. He doesn't have a history of dropping passes and Calvin has a skillset size speed jumping that this leagues never seen before.

October 28th, 2012, 9:55 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

aManNamedSuh wrote:
I think his comment is hinting to the drops, TO was known for that. Not sure it's that bad, CJ has 4 on record this year, I can't tell if that includes today's game or not.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

We don't need to get too worked up just yet. There are some pretty big names on that list with as many or more drops than Calvin. Obviously, Calvin has dropped the ball in some pretty key spots but he still has less than some other really good dudes.

October 28th, 2012, 10:01 pm
All State

I find it hilarious that you guys are throwing Calvin under the bus right now. Last few weeks we should have benched Stafford for Hill, and now CJ isn't doing anything? LOL This was a MAJOR game for the offense IMO. Last week they looked completely inept, this week other then some head scratchers from CJ They were catching the ball, Stafford was accurate, and they put points on the board and closed the game in the last minute in typical Lions fashion. It was great to see Titus and Broyles come alive,and I think that will help CJ too. If Titus and Broyles start beating defenses then they have to be covered more and CJ will get a little less attention. I don't think I see a playoff team right now, but I see a team we are used to seeing on the field. Seattle isn't a slouch either.

October 29th, 2012, 12:16 am

I dont think CJ is being thrown under the bus. It's just strange(and super noticable) when he drops wide open passes.

October 29th, 2012, 12:34 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I haven't had a chance to watch the game. We got this hurricane coming, so taking precautions with that at the moment. BUT, I was able to follow some on twitter and saw the stats and comments. I'll watch it on rewind.

As for CJ. Maybe there is more to his injuries or even concussion he said he suffered that passed all tests to let him back into the game. Through 7 games a year ago, Calvin Johnson had 41 receptions and 679 yards. He has 41 for 638 through 7 this year. The only difference is TDs. And that is a major difference. I'm happy to see Broyles get a chance. It's not easy picking up the offense for receivers and they usually take the longest. We've seen Stafford yell at him for not lining up correctly, but he can create space. With Nate out, he's going to get the reps which will help him get up to speed.

October 29th, 2012, 1:59 am

Honestly, it's about time that the rest of the team carried Calvin Johnson for once

October 29th, 2012, 2:37 am
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
Honestly, it's about time that the rest of the team carried Calvin Johnson for once

Complete and utter bullshit. Calvin got PAID! That's how the team is "carrying" him. He got a huge contract after a big year, and now he's dropping passes he was catching last season. Sorry, but that's not the sign of a HOFer or an elite player. That's a sign that he is typical of others before him.....play lights out in your contract year, and then play with a lack of urgency after you ink the deal.

Calvin has to start showing that last year wasn't a fluke for him, no different than Stafford has the same thing to prove. Difference is, Stafford didn't get the lofty deal Calvin did in the off-season.

Calvin gets paid to catch passes, not have others carry him. Nobody gets a free pass. Nobody.

October 29th, 2012, 8:10 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Complete and utter bullshit. Calvin got PAID! That's how the team is "carrying" him. He got a huge contract after a big year, and now he's dropping passes he was catching last season. Sorry, but that's not the sign of a HOFer or an elite player. That's a sign that he is typical of others before him.....play lights out in your contract year, and then play with a lack of urgency after you ink the deal.

Calvin has to start showing that last year wasn't a fluke for him, no different than Stafford has the same thing to prove. Difference is, Stafford didn't get the lofty deal Calvin did in the off-season.

Calvin gets paid to catch passes, not have others carry him. Nobody gets a free pass. Nobody.

Whoa there. Calvin's been playing lights-out since his second year in the league. To imply he simply turned it on in a contract year is nonsense. Especially since he was already under contract for 2012, so 2011 wasn't a contract year to begin with.

We've all seen him drop some passes he usually catches but let's not exaggerate--he's still on pace for 1500 yards or so. Most WRs never have a season as good as that. Sure, we expect more of Calvin but even when he's bad, he's better than most.

October 29th, 2012, 8:29 am

Calvin's also been playing hurt.

October 29th, 2012, 8:48 am
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

a lot of bark, not a lot of bite. very few people can actually take this post seriously. yeah, calvin dropped a few passes in the last 7 days but he s still on pace for 1400 yards receiving and its a matter of time before he gets the TDs again. this offense just took a major step forward and with the attention that Calvin received he was a huge part of it. I doubt Titus Young and Pettigrew torch that defense without Megatron on the field.

October 29th, 2012, 10:47 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next