View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Delmas Injured (Again) 
RIP Killer

Post Delmas Injured (Again)
PFT wrote:
Louis Delmas injures left knee
Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
Lions cornerback Houston celebrates his interception against the Eagles during the fourth quarter of their NFL football game in Philadelphia Reuters

Lions safety Louis Delmas missed the first four games of the season with a left knee injury. He now has another one.

Per a league source, X-rays were negative but further testing (specifically, an MRI) will be conducted on Monday. The injury happened in the third quarter. Delmas was examined on the sideline and then taken to the locker room.

Per various reports on Twitter, coach Jim Schwartz declined to characterize the condition as a re-injury.

So....are we still not in need of a safety in the off-season?

October 28th, 2012, 5:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Delmas Injured (Again)
SH*T

October 28th, 2012, 6:48 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

a little early to speculate on this when we dont even know what the injury is...i saw it happen and i couldnt tell if delmas was trying to strut as if taunting the guy he just tackled or if he was limping. apparently it was a limp but he was putting full weight on that leg, I cant imagine it was a serious injury but m2k is right - he s a FA and injury prone. spievey's improved but concussion prone. im not sure silva is a starter yet though he has a nose for the ball. coleman is nothing and wendling is a special teamer. i think delmas will be back but there may still be a need for at minimum a player that could project to start - we have too many stopgap type players at the position.

October 28th, 2012, 6:50 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

It sure seems like all those post-draft comparisons to Bob Sanders were accurate--including the injury issues Sanders had. I think it's safe to say the Lions will need to find at least one safety in the off-season regardless of what happens to Delmas, but given the persistent injury issues I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions look for two safeties.

It's too bad--the defense is noticeably better when Delmas is on the field.

October 28th, 2012, 10:35 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
mwill2 wrote:
It's too bad--the defense is noticeably better when Delmas is on the field.

This I agree with a ton.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 28th, 2012, 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
a little early to speculate on this when we dont even know what the injury is...i saw it happen and i couldnt tell if delmas was trying to strut as if taunting the guy he just tackled or if he was limping. apparently it was a limp but he was putting full weight on that leg, I cant imagine it was a serious injury but m2k is right - he s a FA and injury prone. spievey's improved but concussion prone. im not sure silva is a starter yet though he has a nose for the ball. coleman is nothing and wendling is a special teamer. i think delmas will be back but there may still be a need for at minimum a player that could project to start - we have too many stopgap type players at the position.

No, it's not early. While we don't know the severity of the injury, it was enough to have him removed from the game when it happened. And I'm not going to say this injury was a result of his wrecklessness, but just an indication that he is fragile. And when it comes down to it, he doesn't help the defense from the locker room or the trainers table. Delmas simply cannot be counted on as a RELIABLE starter for this team due to his injury issues. This team needs to have players in place that can be relied upon to be in there to develop some familiarity and continuity with the other starters.

The Lions desperately need at least one more quality safety, but I think they need two. We have no other starting quality safeties on this team other than Delmas.

October 29th, 2012, 8:06 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Quote:
The Lions desperately need at least one more quality safety, but I think they need two. We have no other starting quality safeties on this team other than Delmas.

generally, its not a premium position and spievey was playing very well before the repeat concussion. as for your comments about delmas, it IS very important to know what the injury is

October 29th, 2012, 10:39 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

generally, its not a premium position and spievey was playing very well before the repeat concussion. as for your comments about delmas, it IS very important to know what the injury is

Only for this season. He has already proven that he is injury prone, as has Spievey. Simply put, Delmas cannot be counted on to be in the lineup week after week. The Lions are essentially going to have to carry three really good safeties rather than just one or two. The lack of quality at that position gets exploited from time to time. Without a true shut down corner on the roster, it becomes even more important to have quality at the safety position.

I like Delmas, although I think he's overrated by some on this board. He does make a difference when he's in the lineup. And the nature of the injury is important because we need him this season. But in the long term, the Lions still have to address the position as if there are two spots open there.

October 29th, 2012, 12:15 pm
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

In todays NFL, theres a bigger premium on the position than there was before. And as far as Detroit goes, it is MORE than obvious when this team is lacking quality safety play, which is usually the case.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 29th, 2012, 3:02 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I think we'll offer Delmas a long-term contract with playing time incentives. Yes, he's been hurt a lot, but he's obviously an important part of the team. He also makes the safety playing next to him a lot better, sort of like Houston does with the CBs.

October 30th, 2012, 8:58 am
QB Coach

Since Chicago and Detroit are so similar in region, mentality, and so on, what system are they running that allowed them to shut down our verticals, which in turn gave their front 7 time to beat up Stafford?

I think having the two deep, that are dependable and durable, really helped them, and I'm not sure we're too far away from that.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 30th, 2012, 12:04 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Quote:
Lions trade rumors: Detroit trying to deal for veteran safety?
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/10/3 ... uis-delmas

By Sean Yuille on Oct 30, 2:52p
US PRESSWIRE
According to a report, the Detroit Lions are trying to deal for a veteran safety before Thursday's trade deadline.

Although safety Louis Delmas is considered day-to-day with a sore left knee, Jason La Canfora reports that the Detroit Lions "have some concern" about his status. Even if he wasn't dealing with a left knee injury they probably would have reason to be concerned considering it's a rarity that Delmas is healthy. He's by far their best safety, but he's hurt quite often.

Because of this, it looks like the Lions may try to trade for a veteran safety before Thursday's 4 p.m. ET deadline, at least that is what La Canfora is reporting.

Quote:
Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora
Lions have some concern about the status of top safety Louis Delmas, calling around to land a veteran safety prior to Thurs. trade deadline
30 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

If the Lions make any move, it'll probably involve improving the secondary. The pass defense hasn't been terrible in 2012, but it definitely could be better, and these next couple days are really the Lions' last chance to add any real contributors before next offseason.

October 30th, 2012, 3:43 pm
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Since Chicago and Detroit are so similar in region, mentality, and so on, what system are they running that allowed them to shut down our verticals, which in turn gave their front 7 time to beat up Stafford?

I think having the two deep, that are dependable and durable, really helped them, and I'm not sure we're too far away from that.

They let Tillman more or less handle CJ man-to-man with over the top S help. Tillman more or less shut CJ down, which is pathetic, but it's partially because Stafford couldn't throw a pass accurate enough to get it to him. They occasionally blitzed and our RBs and TEs weren't good enough to block the extra men, or get free in time to make a play. I wish we did more of the chip block before the pass route plays, and the block and leak out plays that other teams use against the blitz.

IMO, Linehan is most to blame out of anyone in the organization. Our offense lacks originality, it gets too focused on any one guy for FAR too long (Leshoure for an entire drive, then he's quiet for 3-4 more series, CJ for an entire drive then we don't target him for another Q, same with Titus and Pett). He's flat out garbage.

October 30th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

They let Tillman more or less handle CJ man-to-man with over the top S help. Tillman more or less shut CJ down, which is pathetic, but it's partially because Stafford couldn't throw a pass accurate enough to get it to him. They occasionally blitzed and our RBs and TEs weren't good enough to block the extra men, or get free in time to make a play. I wish we did more of the chip block before the pass route plays, and the block and leak out plays that other teams use against the blitz.

IMO, Linehan is most to blame out of anyone in the organization. Our offense lacks originality, it gets too focused on any one guy for FAR too long (Leshoure for an entire drive, then he's quiet for 3-4 more series, CJ for an entire drive then we don't target him for another Q, same with Titus and Pett). He's flat out garbage.

I can't believe I am about to type this:
I agree with WJB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch. that hurt.

October 31st, 2012, 12:58 am
QB Coach

I looked at the rosters of all 31 other teams and did not find any with a safety that would be an upgrade to what we have that they would be willing to trade.

October 31st, 2012, 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next