View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Biggest Need next year? 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Biggest Need next year?
Do you think people will finally stop buying the load of crap of best player available that Mayhew has been feeding the fans and most have been eating up? I hate great disdain for the 2011 draft class and this past might pan out better than 2011 but it was a draft a deep established team would look good making not a team that was still a good twelve starters away from being real contenders not just an overachieving team. This year's team might be underachieving but last year they weren't as good as their record. They are a .500 team give or take a game the way they are currently constructed.

Biggest need next year is a potential elite CB followed a S or two, upgrades at the LB position unless somebody steps up and a RB that can make things happen. There are more but those are the biggest I'd like to see. As far as the LBs go I wasn't thrilled with Tulloch coming back, his impact plays for a MLB are too few and far between. If they overpay for Durant next year I will have serious questions about this front office. Levy is a nice option if the other LB spots have playmakers and there are quality Ss on the field to help him.

October 1st, 2012, 2:55 pm
Team MVP

sweetd20 wrote:
and a RB that can make things happen.

You're never going to find a RB that can make things happen behind this O-line. The O-line is the problem. Not the running back. How many running backs have we had the past 4-5 years? And how many have panned out? Thats because this O-line simply cannot run block. You can blame Raiola and Peterman for a big part of that.

If a running back is taken any time before the 4th or 5th round, it'll be a wasted pick.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 1st, 2012, 3:28 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

You're never going to find a RB that can make things happen behind this O-line. The O-line is the problem. Not the running back. How many running backs have we had the past 4-5 years? And how many have panned out? Thats because this O-line simply cannot run block. You can blame Raiola and Peterman for a big part of that.

If a running back is taken any time before the 4th or 5th round, it'll be a wasted pick.

THIS. Everybody says this team misses Best in the backfield, and that's a load of crap. Best had how many 100 yard games for us? Teams weren't afraid of him running the ball out of the backfield, they were more afraid of him catching the ball out of the backfield. But even then, he didn't do that much damage....mostly because he simply can't stay healthy.

We've had numerous backs and they simply can't get a great deal of yardage because our offensive line isn't a strong run blocking unit. It's that simple. Unless the Lions can pull another Barry Sanders out of their bag of magic tricks, upgrading the offensive line is the key to a better, more balanced offense.

October 2nd, 2012, 4:02 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

THIS. Everybody says this team misses Best in the backfield, and that's a load of crap. Best had how many 100 yard games for us? Teams weren't afraid of him running the ball out of the backfield, they were more afraid of him catching the ball out of the backfield. But even then, he didn't do that much damage....mostly because he simply can't stay healthy.

We've had numerous backs and they simply can't get a great deal of yardage because our offensive line isn't a strong run blocking unit. It's that simple. Unless the Lions can pull another Barry Sanders out of their bag of magic tricks, upgrading the offensive line is the key to a better, more balanced offense.

I agree that the O-line is the issue, especially the interior. Backus has sucked in the running game, but Gos has stepped up his game after Reiff was drafted.

I do think we might be underestimating what Best brought to the offense. I know he didn't get a ton of yardage, but in the passing game, he forced someone to cover him. Defenses couldn't drop 8 like they are now. They could only drop 7, which opened up a lane for someone else. None of the other backs forced a safety to cover, only a linebacker.

That doesn't mean we're missing Best, but we need a player like Best or we need to scheme around it, which is something Linehan somehow refuses to do.

October 2nd, 2012, 4:21 pm

Everybody knows the line sucks but LeShoure is a banger and Best will likely never see the field again, they need a game changer. I'm not saying 1st round or even 2nd round, there have been plenty of really good RBs taken later. I'm not even saying they need the next Barry Sanders but besides Best (they should have waited to see if he would have fallen) they haven't had a RB that could make defenders miss in the openfield.

Now as far as the O-line goes they need to change the philosophy not just the personnel. The future of the team is Stafford and CJ but they need maulers and road graders in the trenches in my opinion to maximize their potential. Even before Stafford was officially the pick I thought his best comparison was going to be Aikman but he was going to need a solid running game and O-line to open up the field and give him space to make plays downfield. I like Linehan but in Minny he had Robert Smith and some pretty good big uglies on the line that he utilized to make that passing attack dangerous.

So if they are sticking with Linehan they need to preach run blocking, switch to Reiff next year, move on from Raiola, and get some big mean OGs, and a RB with big play potential to pair with LeShoure. There are plenty of teams that are good running teams with nobodies on the O-line. The Bills have been one of the best running teams with undrafted Fred Jackson and a bunch of "who" on the O-line with a noodle arm QB in Fitzpatrick. It can be done quickly but the attitude of the O-line needs to change and they need to think run first pass second. Attack, attack, attack.

I know this got a little off topic but the run game can be fixed with a few tweaks to the line, an emphasis on run blocking, attitude change, and the additon of a shifty RB. The first pick has to be CB unless a S makes himself head and shoulders above the others. After that it's C or S followed by OG, LB, and RB in order of quality of player available.

October 3rd, 2012, 8:30 am
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:
Everybody knows the line sucks but LeShoure is a banger and Best will likely never see the field again, they need a game changer. I'm not saying 1st round or even 2nd round, there have been plenty of really good RBs taken later. I'm not even saying they need the next Barry Sanders but besides Best (they should have waited to see if he would have fallen) they haven't had a RB that could make defenders miss in the openfield.

I agree. It was one of the reasons why I was disappointed when the Lions released Stefon Green. He is not a Jahvid Best, but he has great speed and could be used in that capacity. Keiland Williams is a waste of a roster spot. He brings nothing to the table that LeShoure, Smith and Bell don't do better than him.

sweetd20 wrote:
Now as far as the O-line goes they need to change the philosophy not just the personnel. The future of the team is Stafford and CJ but they need maulers and road graders in the trenches in my opinion to maximize their potential. Even before Stafford was officially the pick I thought his best comparison was going to be Aikman but he was going to need a solid running game and O-line to open up the field and give him space to make plays downfield. I like Linehan but in Minny he had Robert Smith and some pretty good big uglies on the line that he utilized to make that passing attack dangerous.

So if they are sticking with Linehan they need to preach run blocking, switch to Reiff next year, move on from Raiola, and get some big mean OGs, and a RB with big play potential to pair with LeShoure. There are plenty of teams that are good running teams with nobodies on the O-line. The Bills have been one of the best running teams with undrafted Fred Jackson and a bunch of "who" on the O-line with a noodle arm QB in Fitzpatrick. It can be done quickly but the attitude of the O-line needs to change and they need to think run first pass second. Attack, attack, attack.

I know this got a little off topic but the run game can be fixed with a few tweaks to the line, an emphasis on run blocking, attitude change, and the additon of a shifty RB. The first pick has to be CB unless a S makes himself head and shoulders above the others. After that it's C or S followed by OG, LB, and RB in order of quality of player available.

You had me until the portion about getting a corner. Safety first. We are in DIRE need of a safety more than a corner. Now, if the Lions can't get Houston to resign, and have a problem finding any other quality corner in FA, then I'd agree. Bentley isn't ready to step into a number one corner role, Jonte Green is garbage, in my opinion, and nobody else even comes close to fitting the bill. But, by the same token, the Lions have no starting quality safety on their roster, other than Delmas. And in my opinion, he's not a good two way safety. He plays against the run OK, but his pass coverage is inconsistent and he needs to drop the big hit attitude. Play the ball, don't worry about the highlight reel hits.

Everything you said about the line I am in total agreement with. Good post.

October 3rd, 2012, 1:08 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Safety first. We are in DIRE need of a safety more than a corner..

100% agree.

With that said, does anyone know anything about the safeties in the next draft? I know of the names of Eric Reid, TJ McDonald, and Kenny Vaccaro, but know very little about any of them. Are there any "Mark Barrons" in that class?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

October 3rd, 2012, 2:04 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

100% agree.

With that said, does anyone know anything about the safeties in the next draft? I know of the names of Eric Reid, TJ McDonald, and Kenny Vaccaro, but know very little about any of them. Are there any "Mark Barrons" in that class?

Tony Jefferson is a Junior at Oklahoma. Two-way safety playing well this season. Probably only solid round 1 safety so far. Reid is looking exposed with the rest of the secondary in the NFL and Mathieu off the team. Reid and McDonald could go 1 or 2 depending on how they play this year and need at safety develops in the draft. Vaccaro has a 2-3 grade.

This is still too early to read. Once the whole season develops, it'll be easier to judge. Right now the competition is unknown. Having great games against nobodies doesn't translate to the pros.

It's not a very deep class if you need a starter right away like we do, and we need two.

October 3rd, 2012, 2:14 pm

I actually like the potential at S this year. I was a bigger fan of Lester over Barron while they were both at Bama. I'm really looking forward to Vaccaro versus WVU this week. I think Shawn Williams from Georgia can be a guy that gets to theNFL and people go "where did he come from?" I also like a couple of guys at CB (Milliner and Rhodes) that might enter the draft that have S potential.

October 3rd, 2012, 2:40 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

100% agree.

Tony Jefferson is a Junior at Oklahoma. Two-way safety playing well this season. Probably only solid round 1 safety so far. Reid is looking exposed with the rest of the secondary in the NFL and Mathieu off the team. Reid and McDonald could go 1 or 2 depending on how they play this year and need at safety develops in the draft. Vaccaro has a 2-3 grade.

This is still too early to read. Once the whole season develops, it'll be easier to judge. Right now the competition is unknown. Having great games against nobodies doesn't translate to the pros.

It's not a very deep class if you need a starter right away like we do, and we need two.

I don't know that Reid is getting exposed as much as the idea that he can't be everywhere at once. He's played fairly well when called upon, but teams avoid him when possible.

Vaccaro and McDonald are good prospects as well. I would say that those three are definitely first or second round possibilities. Jefferson is looking like he will be in the mix as well. I haven't watched many Oklahoma games, but everything I'm hearing is positive for him.

There are always small school sleepers to crop up later in the season, especially once they start announcing rosters for the various all star games.

As far as there being any "Mark Barrons", let's remember that at this time last season Barron wasn't even on the first round radar for most pundits and draft sites. Even in February he was seen as a late first rounder, and some felt the Lions would be reaching if they took him at 23. However, after he was finally healed and able to work out, he shot up the draft boards. I remember watching his workout and thinking to myself that if he somehow fell to 23 the Lions would be foolish to pass on him. Obviously, other people were watching too.

October 3rd, 2012, 2:59 pm
Team MVP

Didnt want to start a whole new thread for this, so thought Id throw it in here..

Though its really early, a guy i REALLY like so far, and i know you might be thinking "another D-lineman???", but Bjoern Werner, DE Florida St.

None of us really know what the Lions plans are for FA next offseason, but one thing is for sure, Avril, Willie Young, and LoJack are Free Agents. Depending on that situation, DE could be a need, not to mention KVB getting up there in age (and down there in production).

One thing that immediately sticks out with this guy is his amazing quickness off the snap and his relentless pursuit to the QB or ball carrier. This guy simply does not know the meaning of "stop" until the whistle is blown. From what ive seen, he does not lack power and really excels off the edge, again due to his quickness.

He kinda reminds me if Justin Smith but as a 4-3 DE.

Check him out. I dont know his stats, because I think that is somewhat worthless right now.

October 18th, 2012, 4:49 pm
RIP Killer

Well, based on KVB slowing down some, Lawrence Jackson and Cliff Avril being free agents next season, and our still having pretty much an unknown in Ronnell Lewis, I don't think it's out of the question for the Lions to think about taking a DE in 2013.....even in the first round. Given the premium they place on D-line production, it makes sense. I don't think Avril will get what he's looking for here. Jackson will likely be allowed to seek a new deal elsewhere. That leaves us with Willie Young, KVB and Lewis. I'd rather have KVB finish his time here as a backup and situational pass rusher. Time to get some youth involved in the DE spot.

However, I still want the Lions to think long and hard about positioning themselves in this draft to take the top rated safety. Whether that means a trade up or down, they're gonna need one.

October 29th, 2012, 4:12 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Well, based on KVB slowing down some, Lawrence Jackson and Cliff Avril being free agents next season, and our still having pretty much an unknown in Ronnell Lewis, I don't think it's out of the question for the Lions to think about taking a DE in 2013.....even in the first round. Given the premium they place on D-line production, it makes sense. I don't think Avril will get what he's looking for here. Jackson will likely be allowed to seek a new deal elsewhere. That leaves us with Willie Young, KVB and Lewis. I'd rather have KVB finish his time here as a backup and situational pass rusher. Time to get some youth involved in the DE spot.

However, I still want the Lions to think long and hard about positioning themselves in this draft to take the top rated safety. Whether that means a trade up or down, they're gonna need one.

And some might disagree with me, but lets say they pick top 10 which I hope they aren't, but given that levy and Durant are free agents, I'd love to see Manti Te'o in a lions uniform. So early I understand, but just saying.

October 30th, 2012, 12:40 am
QB Coach

kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

And some might disagree with me, but lets say they pick top 10 which I hope they aren't, but given that levy and Durant are free agents, I'd love to see Manti Te'o in a lions uniform. So early I understand, but just saying.

As a ND fan, I'd love this. But regardless of my fandom, Te'o is having a monster season. He just always seems to be around the ball.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 30th, 2012, 3:11 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Lions biggest need may well be a Safety, and there are many intriguing prospects. Will be interesting to see which ones rate 1st and 2nd round grades as the draft approaches. It might be more likely they go corner or DE in the 1st. Can't pass up the chance to get a topflight CB if it falls in your lap. That would be 1st priority on my list, then Safeties in the 2nd or 3rd. Don't see a lot of high round interior line prospects in this years draft, much to my dismay. Doesn't matter anyways, Lions will probably continue to ignore this major need. If they take a RB or receiver in the 1st 3 rounds I will be beside myself. Imperative Mayhew does a better job of identifying talent in the middle rounds. In 2010 he whiffed on Spievey and Fox is a question mark. In 11 he blew it on Young (headcase) in the 2nd when he could have taken Torrey Smith, and Hogue with the 5th still hasn't impressed. But in all fairness, felt last years draft was an improvement. Questioned the Broyles pick, but it may pan out, and the young LB's and secondary additions later could help if any develop.

November 5th, 2012, 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next