View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 6:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions Traded For A New Player 
Varsity Captain

Post Lions Traded For A New Player
A WR?

Mike Thomas from Jacksonville Jaguars. The same guy who made that hail mary catch a year ago.

I saw it on ESPN.

October 30th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
49ers wrote:
A WR?

Mike Thomas from Jacksonville Jaguars. The same guy who made that hail mary catch a year ago.

I saw it on ESPN.

Traded an undisclosed draft pick for him. They're probably looking for someone a little better than our practice squad guys to take Nate's spot. He can KR/PR too. I'd like to see us dump Logan. Logan is complete trash and adds nothing to this team. I would have rather we kept Justin Miller for KR/PR.

Draft Profile:
Quote:
Positives: Short, but has a strong, surprisingly think frame. Good initial burst off the snap and can quickly eat up the cushion if unchallenged at the line of scrimmage. Can sink his hips and shows good immediate burst out of his breaks. Good toughness as a receiver and returner. Not afraid of contact and will go over the middle or attack the seam as a returner with reckless abandon. Good vision for the cutback and sets up his blocks well. Soft hands for the reception. Can pluck outside of his frame. Good body control to make extend and make the tough catch. Short, but times his leaps well. Returned two punts as a senior -- his first year as a returner. Solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl. Well suited to moving inside to the slot position.

Negatives: Will be limited to a slot position in the NFL, as he lacks the size and strength to play outside. More quick than fast. Good timed speed, but lacks the top end speed to consistently beat defenders over the top. Prone to lapses in concentration and drops more passes than he should. Production is inflated due to Arizona's spread offense and lack of surrounding playmakers throughout much of Thomas' career.

October 30th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Varsity 1st Team

49ers wrote:
A WR?

I saw it on ESPN.

Is there a team that needs a WR and has a safety and the Lions are making this kind of move???

October 30th, 2012, 5:09 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I think this was a precautionary move. If another wr goes down we have no quality depth after Broyles.

October 30th, 2012, 5:12 pm
frok wrote:
49ers wrote:
A WR?

I saw it on ESPN.

Is there a team that needs a WR and has a safety and the Lions are making this kind of move???

Are you asking if we traded for him to trade him away? I doubt it...

October 30th, 2012, 5:12 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
I think this was a precautionary move. If another wr goes down we have no quality depth after Broyles.

We're not going to make the playoffs with the WRs we have, what's the difference?

October 30th, 2012, 5:13 pm
RIP Killer

interesting, we play the Jags this week - bring your playbook Mike.

October 30th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
interesting, we play the Jags this week - bring your playbook Mike.

My thoughts exactly. However, I am hearing that we may have sent a player as well as a pick, and the deal isn't done until both players pass physicals.

October 30th, 2012, 6:05 pm
RIP Killer

He had a hell of a year a couple years ago but has been a bit smelly with gabbert at the helm. They weren't on the same page and he reportedly asked for a trade. He is a good returner and should likely get KR duties as well, depending on what they do with Logan (who sucks). Thomas hasn't returned kicks since his rookie year though, but has been the primary PR and has been doing a good job. I hear he's a damn good blocker too. Either way, he can't be worse than Stovall was last year

October 30th, 2012, 6:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I too thought he was brought in to be the KR/PR. This article confirmed it:

Quote:
October 30, 2012
Lions acquire Jaguars receiver Mike Thomas for 2013 draft pick
http://www.freep.com/article/20121030/S ... y=nav|head
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

The Lions righted an old draft mistake and bolstered their banged-up receiving corps two days before the trade deadline, acquiring receiver Mike Thomas from the Jaguars for a mid-round 2013 draft pick.

Thomas caught 158 passes in his first three NFL seasons and signed a five-year, $19-million contract last fall, but has just 13 catches in a mostly reserve role this year.

The Lions were highly interested in Thomas coming out of Arizona in the 2009 draft, but took Derrick Williams with their third-round pick instead. They released Williams last year.

“I’m excited,” Thomas told the Free Press in a phone interview shortly after the deal’s completion Tuesday. “Anytime a team is interested in you and wants to utilize you or just use you, I think that’s a no brainer. That’s what you want as a player in the NFL, you just want to play and be utilized.”

Thomas said he had an inclination he might be dealt this week because of his reduced role and sizeable contract, but he was shocked he ended up with the Lions.

The Lions (3-4) travel to Jacksonville (1-6) on Sunday, and Thomas said, “I’m pretty sure my brain will get picked a little bit" by Lions coaches this week.

“It’s all crazy,” he said. “It’s a whirlwind, but you look at the NBA and how they get traded, it’s the same kind of concept.”

The Lions lost slot receiver Nate Burleson to a season-ending broken leg last week and have seen Calvin Johnson and Titus Young hobbled by knee injuries recently. Rookie Ryan Broyles is the team’s No. 3 receiver, but the 5-foot-8 Thomas can play in the slot, out of the backfield in a Jahvid Best-type role and return punts or kicks.

He said he talked briefly with Lions general manager Martin Mayhew about his role Tuesday.

“I'm pretty sure I'll be out there running around doing something.” Thomas said. "That's all I can ask for is just to get out there and have an opportunity to contribute and we'll see what happens."

The deal won’t be official until Thomas passes his physical Wednesday, but the Lions released cornerback Justin Miller to make room for Thomas on the 53-man roster.

According to a CBS Sports report, the Lions also have been calling around about safety help for their banged-up secondary. Louis Delmas is day-to-day after re-injuring his left knee in Sunday’s win over the Seahawks and Amari Spievey is still recovering from his second concussion since January.

Mayhew has now made three deadline deals in five trade deadlines as Lions' GM. He sent Roy Williams to the Cowboys a few weeks after taking over for Matt Millen in 2008, and swapped running back Jerome Harrison to the Eagles for Ronnie Brown last year. That deal was nullified when Harrison failed his physical after doctors found a tumor on his brain.

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-222-2037 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

...you'll remember that's what we drafted Derrick Williams to do. I know we released Justin Miller to sign him, but I think it's Logan's days that are numbered.

October 30th, 2012, 6:43 pm
Team MVP

Im okay with the move.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 30th, 2012, 7:47 pm
QB Coach

As long as it's a 7th I'm fine with it. Wonder what team has an excess safety for us to grab? Why don't we try out that guy the Eagles cut last month. Jaiquan Jarrett I think. Dude is young and was a second round pick last year. I know he didn't get it in Philly but he did have some talent.

October 30th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
As long as it's a 7th I'm fine with it. Wonder what team has an excess safety for us to grab? Why don't we try out that guy the Eagles cut last month. Jaiquan Jarrett I think. Dude is young and was a second round pick last year. I know he didn't get it in Philly but he did have some talent.

Reports say a "mid-round pick," so it's not a 7th. Probably 6th or 5th.

October 30th, 2012, 8:34 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Check the Delmas thread--apparently we're on the hunt for a safety as well.

October 30th, 2012, 8:47 pm
QB Coach

mwill2 wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Reports say a "mid-round pick," so it's not a 7th. Probably 6th or 5th.

Ah I totally missed that part. We already don't have a 4th so I hope it wasn't our 5th. We need more picks next year somehow.

October 30th, 2012, 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next